User panel stuff on forum
  14 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2007-12-19, 16:37
87 posts

Oct 2006
Hi,

Couple of issues in Vista here..

Firstly, I was wondering if anyone had a decisive fix for the mouse accelleration problem under Vista?
Doing -dinput helps a lot, but it's still there. SetPoint doesn't do much either (I'm on the G9).

Secondly, has anyone noticed that connecting to a server or just starting a single player map (ei. map dm6) is much slower in Vista compared to XP? It looks like it's the graphics or screen setup which takes more time.

I'm on RATE 30000, which means lightning fast connects to local servers if I'm on XP.
Anyone else had this problem? I'm on EZQuake.

Thirdly, I was coasting along at 1500-2000fps on XP, but now it seems capped to 600. It will vary a little between 550-600,
but that's as far as it goes. Gfx card, EZQuake and config is identical on both setups.

Anyone getting higher framerates than 600 in Vista, irrespectively of game?

/PaRa
2007-12-19, 17:56
84 posts

Jan 2006
Yo PaRa, I've had alot of problems running ezQuake on Windows Vista aswell. I'm running the latest drivers, got all the latest windows updates installed (even the SP1 Release Candidate), but still it my ezQuake has lag every 10 seconds or so. The sound stops and my mouse stops responding aswell for a second or so, very annoying to be honest.

As for the mouse accel problem, I managed to fix it using the latest SetPoint drivers (v4.24) without any usb 500\1000hz patch. I let the mouse settings be controlled by the SetPoint drivers instead of the OS, works like a charm. Btw, that usb hz patch you sent me had a virus in it so steer away from that one

I've also noticed slower startup/loading times in Vista. I know Microsoft is set to release a bunch of performance updates in January which should speed up the system on various areas, so basicly I'm waiting for thoose to be released before I install XP again. Until then I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Any input or suggestions would be apretiated
2007-12-21, 23:34
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
If you are running an Nvidia card, make sure you set "Threaded Optimization" to Off in the driver settings.
I found I had some stutters with it enabled.

I now have QW running pretty smooth on Vista. Yeah, map loading is maybe slightly slower than XP and the framerate probably isn't quite as good. But I have a fairly decent system (3.2ghz C2D, 8800GTS) so that doesn't really matter.
2007-12-22, 07:28
84 posts

Jan 2006
HangTime, that "Threaded Optimization" trick seemed to do it for me. Thanks alot! The problem could also originate in the .pk3 support that ezquake has, cause I zipped most of my textures\models into a .pk3 file and I might have put some compression on which is bad. Anyway, nice find!
2007-12-22, 12:45
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Bear in mind that if you play modern games as well, disabling threaded optimisation may reduce performance slightly on multicore cpus. So what I've done is have it enabled by default, but created a seperate profile for ezquake-gl.exe to disable it (also Antialiasing and other stuff I don't need with my lego graphics )
2007-12-22, 15:59
252 posts

Dec 2006
format c
There is no excuse for using vista. It is a complete failure, and I doubt it will even take monopoly of the market.
Are there any features that you will miss by running xp? and if there are do they justify running such a shit, bloated os.
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2007-12-22, 18:41
84 posts

Jan 2006
well Runamok.foe, the main reason why I run Windows Vista is because most of the new games utilize DX10 which currently is a Vista-Only feature. Apart from that I'd run XP over Vista any day. But at the moment I'm too lazy to make another partition with XP on it, I can't be bothered to configurate another OS just because of ezquake.
2007-12-22, 18:46
705 posts

Feb 2006
http://games.slashdot.org/games/07/04/23/1348239.shtml
2007-12-25, 23:06
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
That article is over 8 months old, and I still haven't seen anything remotely approaching an acceptable DX10 wrapper for XP.

In theory Superfetch is also a great idea, effectively it is giving you an automatically optimised RAMdrive which adapts on the fly to make use of spare memory. The trouble is that the user doesn't get enough control over it, and you also get the hd thrashing hit on boot up (not great if all you want to do is just quickly check your mail, a website or jump straight into a game).
2007-12-28, 21:25
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
And you need DX10 for what?
2007-12-28, 23:14
626 posts

Jan 2006
well, another question that i have an issue with..
Anyone getting more then 60hz in vista with qw?
Im on a 8800GTS, can't get my 144hz with vista....
2008-01-02, 22:35
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
I get 75hz (monitor max).
Have you tried modifying your nv_disp.inf file prior to install to force the refresh rate to a given value? I can write you a guide if you don't know how...
2008-02-25, 23:09
7 posts

Sep 2007
hmm yeah when i used Vista... it just sucked tbh vista breaks alot of important stuff, more designed for the business user than anything and you need such a high spec pc just to load so then i just got rid of it ....

#include <linux.h>

2008-02-26, 08:59
12 posts

Oct 2007
I got Vista running quite smoothly, it's doing what I want. With qw no issues and there were no issues from start.

I agree that changing from XP to Vista doesn't make sense just for upgrading, but if you get a fresh system all around, I experienced Vista as a very complete OS, with all the programs a dummy user must have for a start and it's even userfriendly in many cases. Not perfect, but good enough. Not everyone is a running IT machine, don't forget. :-P
Just my opinion, because I read so much from the Linux-lovers and Vista-haters. ;-)
  14 posts on 1 page  1