User panel stuff on forum
  34 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Advanced Configuration
2007-11-27, 17:59
5 posts

Nov 2007
I was wondering if at nowdays the best pov players uses cl_fakeshaft or not since it makes shafting on air much easier.
2007-11-28, 17:12
312 posts

Feb 2006
why yes i do, 0.5 though
2007-11-28, 19:46
462 posts

Jan 2006
I don't.
2007-11-28, 21:16
5 posts

Nov 2007
I want to know if its worth practicing hehe
2007-11-29, 01:46
47 posts

Feb 2007
.7 but my shaft sucks, hits 32% dependent on how good the other player is obviously...
fakeshaft made it seem easier for me to track a player etc, but ive practiced a good bit so im unsure if it was just an inital benifit or if id stuck with normal shaft id be the same now....
2007-11-29, 12:43
626 posts

Jan 2006
~35-40% average, no fakeshaft.
Better without fakeshaft.

And yes, practise vs same person all the time.
Cause you get diffrent % depending on the opponent.
2007-11-29, 17:54
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
the best pov players dont use fakeshaft
inter/ul/renzo etc
2007-11-29, 18:19
78 posts

Aug 2006
Let´s just put it like this... a really good povdmm4-player does NOT use cl_fakeshaft
2007-11-29, 19:24
1329 posts

Apr 2006
sassa wrote:
the best pov players dont use fakeshaft
inter/ul/renzo etc

Feel free to remove me from that list, I am by all means lousy totally tacticless player in povdmm4, and far from the best.
Servers: Troopers
2007-12-04, 15:12
26 posts

Mar 2006
no fakeshaft, the reason is that the shaft is lagging behind the crosshair when you shoot so if you use fakeshaft you have no idea where the real shaft is at
2007-12-04, 15:33
405 posts

Jan 2006
rofl, yeyeye, tell us more, eMbAh.
<3
2007-12-04, 16:28
1026 posts

Feb 2006
http://wiki.qwdrama.com/Fakeshaft
god damn hippies >_<
2007-12-04, 16:52
705 posts

Feb 2006
embah best povplayer
2008-01-21, 15:49
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
I use fakeshaft 100%, and only play pov with 12ms.

35-40% average .. If i play vs master Xenic with super unpredictable movement it'll probably be lower, but I prefer fakeshaft anyhow cause I'm used to it. Probably mostly because I used nonsmooth tft-screen until i recently switched to CRT.
2008-01-21, 16:45
1329 posts

Apr 2006
fog wrote:

35-40% average .. If i play vs master Xenic with super unpredictable movement it'll probably be lower, but I prefer fakeshaft anyhow cause I'm used to it. Probably mostly because I used nonsmooth tft-screen until i recently switched to CRT.

35-40% average?

Be true to yourself. Noone gets 40% average when playing seriously against really good opponents (unless you're talking about interceptor who refuses to dodge at all) while 35% avg sounds more like it.
2008-01-21, 19:14
284 posts

Oct 2006
Renzo wrote:
fog wrote:

35-40% average?

Be true to yourself. Noone gets 40% average when playing seriously against really good opponents (unless you're talking about interceptor who refuses to dodge at all) while 35% avg sounds more like it.

I must say that it depends so much on the opponent that avg's don't really tell you much, also depends a lot on how you use your shaft. Even I've been able to hit high 35-40% against players that don't bother dodging that much and because I use a quite sparing shaft as I'm not used to shartrunning pov, just doesn't feel natural - rl and lg are a tag team And ofc have to mention that shaft% doesn't mean shit in terms of winning pov. I've managed to outshaft percentage wise even mr. blAze, but his overall povgame is so much better that it doesn't even matter if I'd outaim him with both rl and lg during the round.

Don't really know how Xenic playes pov, but judging from his intelligence in movement on End I would really doubt anyone besides the real cream of pov landing solid 35-40% vs him.
2008-01-21, 20:15
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
I dont use fakeshaft!
2008-01-21, 23:06
626 posts

Jan 2006
sassa wrote:
I dont use fakeshaft!

And you are the best!
2008-01-21, 23:08
626 posts

Jan 2006
Now about me: as i said above, tested out EVERYTHING running 25ms, i don't shaft any better using fakeshaft, just the opposite. cl_fakeshaft 0 .
2008-01-22, 10:03
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Renzo wrote:
fog wrote:

35-40% average?

That screen is from just when i started playing again, and also used my LCD-screen which is far from as smooth as my CRT I have now.

Haven't said I get 40% average against REALLY good opponents, that's why I took Xenic as an example in my previous post (where I stated it probably be lower than 35%)? And what is a really good opponent? A one that dodges very good and hits average LG, or one that cant dodge at all but has some serious LG-skills?

Against people with movement I find fitting my own movement/aim, I will get around 37-40% today, but will be lower when the person is good at dodging.

As people have said, very hard to define who has and doesn't have tricky movement, because it's all up to what you are used to and your own movement.

30-33% is more like it when I face people with a movement I find really tricky...

I hope you understand my post better now. On the other hand I can't see how you can decide if I'm right or not by reffering to one old screenshot? (If you haven't been speeking to Xenic, who thinks everyone he beats is totally useless ...)
You are free to spec anytime I'm playing, and it would be fun to meet again. *Kiss*
2008-01-22, 12:16
1329 posts

Apr 2006
I understood perfectly for the first time, I even picked up the crt part too because I know tft monitors just suck ass (for me at least). It just boils down to saying something while the reality is a bit different. Play against only one opponent for months and soon you'll start getting 40% or even 45% scores from him because you get used to his style of play but still being unable to get even 35% from someone else (I've seen these kind of players quite a few actually).

Anyway at some point one starts getting really good lg scores (especially on a map like pov where you don't really have to do big mouse moves, instead just strafe correctly) from about everyone, as long as one understands the basics properly.

Quote:
...one old screenshot...

Is dated 19.12.2007 really that old ?
2008-01-22, 13:57
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
Renzo wrote:
I understood perfectly for the first time, I even picked up the crt part too because I know tft monitors just suck ass (for me at least). It just boils down to saying something while the reality is a bit different. Play against only one opponent for months and soon you'll start getting 40% or even 45% scores from him because you get used to his style of play but still being unable to get even 35% from someone else (I've seen these kind of players quite a few actually).

Anyway at some point one starts getting really good lg scores (especially on a map like pov where you don't really have to do big mouse moves, instead just strafe correctly) from about everyone, as long as one understands the basics properly.

Quote:
...one old screenshot...

Is dated 19.12.2007 really that old ?

The last line: Depends how you see it. I started to play active in beginning of December, so looking at it that way it's really old
Haven't played much vs same opponents either, but continuing this discussion about me is totally useless My scores is collected over a brief time, maybe they will change the more I play, who cares, I play for fun, and that was some kind of average over the latest month (mostly met averageplayers)

Still using fakeshaft though and happy with it. Would definitely want to practise vs you again.. You can find me on Q-net (#Quakeklan) if interested.

Peace out.
2008-01-22, 14:24
1329 posts

Apr 2006
I don't practise or play pov :\

sassa wrote:
I dont use fakeshaft!

fog wrote:
Would definitely want to practise vs you again..

There's your challenger
2008-01-22, 14:25
626 posts

Jan 2006
i agree, the shaft % lacks BIG due to the opponent, the way he moves.
VS an bad movement-opponent i can get up to ~42-46% lg .
While playing vs someone good-moveér (eg. grisling/lethalwiz ) that are unpredictable i get between ~ 32 - 42% lg
depending.

while my average lg is around ~ 38%

This leaves me to: playing vs someone good / bad the shaft percent can drop at least 10%

And just to stick to the thread: fakeshaft sucks
2008-01-22, 17:16
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
This again...

Keep in mind that the best LGers have been playing for years and years without fakeshaft (fakeshaft only became accepted a year or so ago?) so I think it is obvious that they will be better without fakeshaft, as that is what they are used to, at the core of their being.

On the other hand, embah is on the money (for once) with his comment -- fakeshaft is an optical illusion, and as such it basically removes any real knowledge you can have about the shaft's position. Sure, one out of 77 (or whatever your fps is) of those positions will be true, but since you have no idea which one of those 77 is the true one, you effectively don't know the shaft's position 100% of the time.

With the above in mind, at LAN ping, I personally don't think it makes much difference. I shaft more or less the same shitty % with fakeshaft or without, as long as i take a couple minutes getting used to one or the other. On high pings, the "swinging telephone pole syndrome" is more evident without fakeshaft. Likewise, with fakeshaft, you need to "focus" on the crosshair less, as the shaft becomes one big crosshair.

P.S.

Phrenic, you must be playing a different lethalwiz, or he wasn't trying his full strength vs me, when he basically walked into my strafe-LG (using very predictable left/right dodge repeats) at qhlan on multiple pov sessions.
2008-01-22, 17:36
1435 posts

Jan 2006
!phil wrote:
it basically removes any real knowledge you can have about the shaft's position

That's true only for cl_fakeshaft 1, for lower values there is still some "faking" factor, but also you have the info "right now the shaft updated and it hit in this direction" In theory the fakeshaft should give you better LG %, because it distracts you less, while it keeps the info about where the shaft did really hit (when not set to 1).
Another thing is it's algorithm, in my opinion the "distract less" factor could be improved by using a different (better) algorithm.
2008-01-22, 17:40
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
fakeshaft is a cool option if you have 55ms or more
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2008-01-23, 10:34
80 posts

Mar 2007
Renzo wrote:

I have to agree with the stuff about playing the same opponent over and over again. I usually score around 30% in pov against decent / low opponents, but against NeFuRii who I have been playing with _a lot_ I always score a better percentage. If you want to improve your LG, don't play against the same opponent over and over again.
--
Bucketrevolution!
2008-01-23, 19:02
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
^Frogbot is perfect example of this, over time you get used to it's style of movement. Apart from the odd freak result I typically used to shaft around 15% less than what I get in LGC
2008-01-24, 08:30
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
!phil wrote:
P.S.

Phrenic, you must be playing a different lethalwiz, or he wasn't trying his full strength vs me, when he basically walked into my strafe-LG (using very predictable left/right dodge repeats) at qhlan on multiple pov sessions.

Must agree to that one, have the same experience from him . But as stated before: What I find tricky movement, someone else might find be really easy.

Good post JohnNy_cz, gonna practice with lower fakeshaft from here on ..
  34 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page