User panel stuff on forum
  15 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2007-10-28, 11:07
25 posts

Oct 2007
Hey good people,

Is it possible to have a new Fuhquake release, with the same code, but only with fps independent physics added in it? Is A.Nourai (fuh) still active on the scene? Ezquake is great but the reason for this is that I don't use any new feature (hud, textures, effects, serverbrowser,etc). I just like to use fps.indep.phys because of my old eyes, 75hz on monitor hurts too much and 150hz with 77fps is weird. I'm using 150hz with cl_maxfps 600 on ezquake and it's smooooth.

Some years ago I've found a patch to use indep.phys on Fuhquake (I think it was written by the Zquake's developer). It worked great, but some people were accusing me of cheating because on f_version, the reply was "build somenumber".. and wasn't an "official" release.

I know that Fuhquake isn't maintained anymore, but it still feels better here, at least on my machine (tiny code, less features, etc). I just don't use it because of the lack of indep.phys.

Am I asking too much? What are my chances? :-)
2007-10-28, 11:33
626 posts

Jan 2006
play with that patch
2007-10-28, 11:36
1011 posts

Feb 2006
sfinx wrote:
Ezquake is great but the reason for this is that I don't use any new feature (hud, textures, effects, serverbrowser,etc)

simple maths, fuhquake == (ezquake - 'new features')
2007-10-28, 12:19
705 posts

Feb 2006
there isn't any fuhsources around afaik. so that would be impossible unless somebody got norai back _and_ make him willing to release the source if he still has it somewhere..
2007-10-28, 12:26
25 posts

Oct 2007
oldman wrote:
sfinx wrote:
Ezquake is great but the reason for this is that I don't use any new feature (hud, textures, effects, serverbrowser,etc)

simple maths, fuhquake == (ezquake - 'new features')

To be honest, I didn't look at the code to compare, and I'm using the same settings in the two clients. But there's *something* in Ezquake that I don't like... Don't you feel like the player is "flying" on the map? What is that? With Fuhquake it feels like I'm "connected" with the floor, and I'm sure it has nothing to do with default settings (like cl_bob*). And I'm sure that this "feeling" have nothing to do with indep.phys because with Fuhquake patched it didn't happen.

I remember to read some years ago some guys complaining about the same thing, saying that Ezquake could not be use on tournaments because of the "flying player", or something like that... What can this be?? I'm coming back after some years without playing, and it's too fast, to slippy!

I'm old too, man. :-D Is there some explanation for this, or am I completely insane?
2007-10-28, 12:27
1026 posts

Feb 2006
cl_placeboeffect "0"
god damn hippies >_<
2007-10-28, 13:14
25 posts

Oct 2007
Aquashark wrote:
cl_placeboeffect "0"

It isn't. Some guys said, and had the same feeling some years ago. There is something different. One thing that could be is the relationship between the mice and the keyboard in Ezquake. I'm running the client on Linux. I'll try to run with the old method (xorg+dga) instead of the new method (evdev). Since Fuhquake doesn't handle the evdev module, this could be triggering that "weird feeling". :-/
2007-10-28, 14:11
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
i agree, this "feeling" has nothing to do with reality. it's all in your head, since it's not in the code
2007-10-28, 15:36
25 posts

Oct 2007
empezar wrote:
i agree, this "feeling" has nothing to do with reality. it's all in your head, since it's not in the code

What is 'reality' anyway? :-DD But seriously, nothing regarding the mice, for example, was changed? I remember to use a patch several years ago which was intented to fix something like the relationship between m_yaw and m_pitch (sorry about the lack of information). That patch has just 5 or 6 lines of code, but made a huge difference on gameplay. I'm saying this because in this kind of game, a little change on the code can make a lot of difference. Any kind of built-in accel was added into the code? Of course that you developers know much more than me, but there's something! I'm not crazy! :-))
2007-10-29, 03:08
159 posts

Jun 2007
fuh is one of the few people from the Australia qwtf community who hasnt been seen back since the qwtf and tf2. If he does show up, ill send him this way.

That said I can't feel any difference.
FortressOne - A QuakeWorld Team Fortress package for Windows and Linux | https://www.fortressone.org
2007-10-29, 10:39
151 posts

Feb 2006
It's some setting you missed most likely. The feeling you're describing sounds like a v_viewheight issue to me.
2007-10-29, 12:13
25 posts

Oct 2007
zel wrote:
fuh is one of the few people from the Australia qwtf community who hasnt been seen back since the qwtf and tf2. If he does show up, ill send him this way.

Thanks man, maybe we can convince him to be back to business, who knows. :-)

dakoth wrote:
It's some setting you missed most likely. The feeling you're describing sounds like a v_viewheight issue to me.

I tought the same thing. Ezquake default variables are different. For example, Fuhquake has cl_sidespeed 350 as default, and Ezquake uses 400. There's a lot of little details. The v_viewheight I always use 0, but I think the issue is mostely related to something "outside" the client, like mouse acceleration for example. But anyway, the two clients are really great, it's just a matter of getting comfortable. Since I don't play for a long time, I got shocked by the crazyness of the game today. :-o
2007-10-30, 00:45
188 posts

Jan 2007
ruskie wrote:
there isn't any fuhsources around afaik. so that would be impossible unless somebody got norai back _and_ make him willing to release the source if he still has it somewhere..

There's at least this, which is Fuhquake 0.31.675 with endian fixes and a MorphOS port. I very likely have the unmodified source code around somewhere as well, and I'd be surprised if you couldn't Google it up either.
2007-10-30, 01:05
215 posts

Mar 2006
well i have a fuhquake 0.31 build with independent physics kicking around in my quake directory. so i uploaded it to shub hub
http://shub-hub.com/files/engines_quakeworld/fuhquake-fpsindep.exe
It Takes A Tough Man To Make A Tender Rocketjump
2007-10-30, 12:22
25 posts

Oct 2007
Hah! I found the root of all weirdness on Ezquake! This little thing here:

cl_nolerp 0
pushlatency 0 (automatic)

That creates the strange "feeling" I was trying to describe. I have to say that with indep.phys those variables make QW smooth as hell, but it feels like with a little 'vsync' in it.. I'm trying to figure out how to use cl_nolerp 1 and indep.phys turned on, and make the thing smooth.. if someone has a tip, gimme now! :-)

purplehaze wrote:
well i have a fuhquake 0.31 build with independent physics kicking around in my quake directory. so i uploaded it to shub hub
http://shub-hub.com/files/engines_quakeworld/fuhquake-fpsindep.exe

Thanks for your time man, but any chance for you to have a linux build? :-( I'll try to find the sources, and a patch on the net. I had a harddrive with all those files, a lot of old stuff, but it kinda 'exploded' last year.. poor hd.
  15 posts on 1 page  1