User panel stuff on forum
  14 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2007-10-16, 17:21
45 posts

Aug 2007
Dissatisfied with ezquake's performance in Linux (mouse accuracy/latency issues) I am in the process of checking out fteqw right now...

I have a few questions:

1) Is there no direct (mouse) input?
Looks like the command line -dinput only does something for Windows users, while in Linux I cannot find a difference to the situation without -dinput (the mouse sensitivity is clearly dependent on my xset settings).

2) Is there nothing else but ALSA sound support?
I would like to try SDL or OSS, but even OSS doesn't seem to be supported.

Ideas anyone?

Oh, and not to forget, how do I disable any kind of light effects when people shoot and fire, and how do I disable any kind of smoke, explosion fire etc.?
I tried all the graphical settings (in the GUI), but there should be some hidden console only variables to eliminate gun smoke etc.

thanks
sempron
2007-10-16, 18:01
135 posts

Jan 2006
1. Yes, there is. In_mmt 1, in_mouse 3, in_evdevice /dev/input/eventX (or similiar), in_restart.
2. Yes, you may use OSS. S_device /dev/dsp (or similiar), s_noalsa 0, snd_restart.
2007-10-16, 18:51
45 posts

Aug 2007
plast wrote:
1. Yes, there is. In_mmt 1, in_mouse 3, in_evdevice /dev/input/eventX (or similiar), in_restart.
2. Yes, you may use OSS. S_device /dev/dsp (or similiar), s_noalsa 0, snd_restart.

Huh??

None of these variables exists for fteqw, there simply is no in_mmt, in_mouse or s_noalsa etc.

That's why I asked these questions in the first place...

sempron
2007-10-16, 19:05
271 posts

Feb 2006
plast, you need to learn to read.

-dinput, being the command to enable direct input, does nothing in linux. Linux does not support Microsoft's DirectInput api (duh!).
The X11 DGA extension is not supported either apparently. The code is there, its just not enabled for some reason.

To disable alsa, either add +set snd_alsadevice1 "" to your commandline, or type set snd_alsadevice1 "";snd_restart This will disable any attempts to load alsa and will cause FTE to fall back to oss support. You can change the device used by oss by changing snd_devicename1.
moo
2007-10-16, 19:58
45 posts

Aug 2007
Spike wrote:
plast, you need to learn to read.

-dinput, being the command to enable direct input, does nothing in linux. Linux does not support Microsoft's DirectInput api (duh!).
The X11 DGA extension is not supported either apparently. The code is there, its just not enabled for some reason.

To disable alsa, either add +set snd_alsadevice1 "" to your commandline, or type set snd_alsadevice1 "";snd_restart This will disable any attempts to load alsa and will cause FTE to fall back to oss support. You can change the device used by oss by changing snd_devicename1.

Thanks for trying to help.

But your sound commands don't help either, I get the following console message:

OSS: no needed sample formats supported.

Of course, I played with snd_khz, but none of the possible values (0, 11, 22, 44, 48) worked.

sempron
2007-10-16, 22:00
271 posts

Feb 2006
that code looks a little fruity to be honest. Looks like your sound card doesn't support 8bit audio.
However, it should actually be using 16bit audio, but by the looks of this code, your card does support 16bit audio which is used by default.

Basically its checking to see if the card supports 8bit audio when its trying to use 16bit audio in the first place. Alsa is probably sucking and giving you only 16bit audio support or something. Dunno. If your card does fully support OSS at 16bit but not at 8bit then the fix I just committed should work for you. But still, its weird that 16bit is supported while 8 is not on your card.
Go here in a couple of nights time: http://fteqw.com/fteqw-nightly/ or just compile your own from the SVN.
(for SVN, 'make gl-rel' is probably what you want, in which case, you can try 'make gl-rel CFLAGS=-DUSE_DGA' at the same time)
moo
2007-10-17, 09:17
1026 posts

Feb 2006
sempron wrote:
plast wrote:

Huh??

None of these variables exists for fteqw, there simply is no in_mmt, in_mouse or s_noalsa etc.

That's why I asked these questions in the first place...

sempron

those exist in EZQuake
god damn hippies >_<
2007-10-17, 12:33
135 posts

Jan 2006
sempron wrote:
Dissatisfied with ezquake's performance in Linux

You won't get anything better than direct mouse (in_mouse 3) as in ezq anyway, so no point in changing client IMHO .
2007-10-17, 13:48
45 posts

Aug 2007
Spike wrote:
that code looks a little fruity to be honest. Looks like your sound card doesn't support 8bit audio.
However, it should actually be using 16bit audio, but by the looks of this code, your card does support 16bit audio which is used by default.

Basically its checking to see if the card supports 8bit audio when its trying to use 16bit audio in the first place. Alsa is probably sucking and giving you only 16bit audio support or something. Dunno. If your card does fully support OSS at 16bit but not at 8bit then the fix I just committed should work for you. But still, its weird that 16bit is supported while 8 is not on your card.
Go here in a couple of nights time: http://fteqw.com/fteqw-nightly/ or just compile your own from the SVN.
(for SVN, 'make gl-rel' is probably what you want, in which case, you can try 'make gl-rel CFLAGS=-DUSE_DGA' at the same time)

I just tried to compile the SVN code, but that stops with an error 1:

./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c: In function 'install_grabs':
./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c:332: error: 'dgamouse' undeclared (first use in this function)
./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c:332: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c:332: error: for each function it appears in.)
./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c: In function 'uninstall_grabs':
./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c:346: error: 'dgamouse' undeclared (first use in this function)
./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c: In function 'GetEvent':
./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c:395: error: 'dgamouse' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[4]: *** [release/gl_linux/gl_vidlinuxglx.o] Fehler 1

sempron
2007-10-17, 13:53
45 posts

Aug 2007
plast wrote:
sempron wrote:
Dissatisfied with ezquake's performance in Linux

You won't get anything better than direct mouse (in_mouse 3) as in ezq anyway, so no point in changing client IMHO .

Since for me in_mouse 3 sucks enough to feel the difference to Windows, this only means that I have to play under Windows...

Provided that the (compared to Windows) worse mouse responsiveness is the true cause of the issue...

One should not forget that for me games like quake2 (aprq2 client) work perfectly under Linux, even slightly better than the corresponding Windows counterpart: no lag, no mouse responsiveness issues.

Since my main system is Linux, it would be very uncomfortable to boot into Windows to play quakeworld, but so far there is no solution in sight... <sigh>

sempron
2007-10-17, 14:07
715 posts

May 2006
sempron wrote:
I just tried to compile the SVN code, but that stops with an error 1:

./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c: In function 'install_grabs':
./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c:332: error: 'dgamouse' undeclared (first use in this function)
./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c:332: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c:332: error: for each function it appears in.)
./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c: In function 'uninstall_grabs':
./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c:346: error: 'dgamouse' undeclared (first use in this function)
./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c: In function 'GetEvent':
./gl/gl_vidlinuxglx.c:395: error: 'dgamouse' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[4]: *** [release/gl_linux/gl_vidlinuxglx.o] Fehler 1

That's because "dgamouse" is not declared in that file, obviously the code has not been tested until just now
A quick fix for you would be to open up gl_vidlinuxglx.c and add this at the top of the file somewhere:
int dgamouse = 0;

For example, you can put it below line 65.
---Where can you see lions? Only in kenya! Come to kenya we've got lions.
2007-10-17, 14:40
45 posts

Aug 2007
molgrum wrote:
That's because "dgamouse" is not declared in that file, obviously the code has not been tested until just now
A quick fix for you would be to open up gl_vidlinuxglx.c and add this at the top of the file somewhere:
int dgamouse = 0;

For example, you can put it below line 65.

Okay, did that and it compiled for quite some time...

But at the end it fails with:

./release/gl_linux/gl_vidlinuxglx.o: In function `GLVID_Shutdown':
gl_vidlinuxglx.c.text+0xccf): undefined reference to `XF86DGADirectVideo'
./release/gl_linux/gl_vidlinuxglx.o: In function `Sys_SendKeyEvents':
gl_vidlinuxglx.c.text+0xe76): undefined reference to `XF86DGADirectVideo'
gl_vidlinuxglx.c.text+0xf3d): undefined reference to `XF86DGADirectVideo'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [release/gl_linux/../fteqw.gl] Fehler 1

sempron
2007-10-17, 14:55
188 posts

Jan 2007
sempron wrote:
./release/gl_linux/gl_vidlinuxglx.o: In function `GLVID_Shutdown':
gl_vidlinuxglx.c.text+0xccf): undefined reference to `XF86DGADirectVideo'
./release/gl_linux/gl_vidlinuxglx.o: In function `Sys_SendKeyEvents':
gl_vidlinuxglx.c.text+0xe76): undefined reference to `XF86DGADirectVideo'
gl_vidlinuxglx.c.text+0xf3d): undefined reference to `XF86DGADirectVideo'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [release/gl_linux/../fteqw.gl] Fehler 1

In the Makefile, under the Linux section, line 545 currently on SVN, add -lXxf86dga at the end of the line saying "GL_LDFLAGS=..."
2007-10-17, 16:55
45 posts

Aug 2007
bigfoot wrote:
In the Makefile, under the Linux section, line 545 currently on SVN, add -lXxf86dga at the end of the line saying "GL_LDFLAGS=..."

Thanks.
That missing link to the library did the trick; the resulting binary uses DGA, indeed! Great.

Of course, I would still welcome OSS sound output (because of ALSA's latency issues).

And there is another problem left:
At quake.msk.ru I get kicked for exploiting the timedemo bug!? They also claim that my frame rates are incredibly high or some such message...

Well, the reason may be that I try to use independent physics, but this works in ezquake for me without being kicked off the server.

sempron
  14 posts on 1 page  1