User panel stuff on forum
  31 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Rookies' Corner
2007-10-12, 01:50
11 posts

Oct 2007
Someone told me that this is not your everyday fps and at first I though yah right...w/e...but it's true. I used to play Quake when it first came out but I don't remember it being this fast, Im sure it wasn't...

I cannot even beat a level one bot..lol...but I will.

Takes some getting used to thats for sure...well it does for me anyways...

I have to start looking for some guides but mostly I have to play more...

Just wanted to say that I know what the attration is now...it's like Quake on crack!

CC.
2007-10-12, 02:12
11 posts

Oct 2007
It seems that the whole premise of QW is to spam as much as possible, get lucky, spkill and know where the pu's spawn...is this accurate.

I base this on the demos I Have watched mind you but it seems like there is very little aiming involved. I'm not saying it is skilless then cs but it a differen't skill set that one must use...is this right or am I seeing it wrong here?

CC.
2007-10-12, 02:32
355 posts

Jun 2006
CrazyCanuck wrote:
It seems that the whole premise of QW is to spam as much as possible, get lucky, spkill and know where the pu's spawn...is this accurate.

I base this on the demos I Have watched mind you but it seems like there is very little aiming involved. I'm not saying it is skilless then cs but it a differen't skill set that one must use...is this right or am I seeing it wrong here?

CC.

Couldn't be anymore wrong. It's true that spamming is a key component of this game but you are limited on rockets usually (especially on a map like DM6 where the ONLY rockets on the map are on the other side of RA).

Aim is a HUGE component of this game. Go watch some demos of Champ/xamp in 1on1 matches (two different spellings used on Challenge-tv.com for him) and you'll see that he was all aim and zero strat.

Watch some interceptor demos to see great aim and strat.

Even spamming in QW is a skill. It's not like you can collect 50 rockets and just spam your way out of ammo room on DM4 without thinking and placing your shots well.
2007-10-12, 04:40
11 posts

Oct 2007
Will do thanks.

CC.
2007-10-12, 05:34
11 posts

Oct 2007
I cannot even kill the bot on level 0...I dont understand this game yet. It seems that he is moving and jumping faster and higher then I can...wtf?

Bot -21 CC- -1 I am pwnd...lol

What is the secret to this game?

CC.
2007-10-12, 07:16
229 posts

Aug 2007
You must listen what he does, where he moves, what he picks and where he comes so you know where he is at all times. People really should be able to kill level 0 bots even without ever seeing quake I think and without sounds.
TEAM QUAD [need nothing]
shaga loses another friend
shaga discovers blast radius

QUAD
2007-10-12, 07:17
6 posts

Jul 2007
your ignorant for thinking that there is a 'little' secret for being good. you need to practice. #qwrookie
2007-10-12, 07:19
303 posts

Jun 2007
The key is movement - the better movement you have, it's harder to hit you, you are faster and best items are easier to get/control. Also, if you have otion to go for rl or ra, get ra. Armor is the most important item in this game, with ra or at least ya chances of surviving the fight are much higher. You should look in the forum for weapon scripts - they will help you to response faster (no need to switch weapon manually). If you are low on hp, don't fight, but use strafejumping to move faster and get hp. That's all i think, you will figure out the rest yourself.
2007-10-12, 07:41
11 posts

Oct 2007
Herb wrote:
The key is movement - the better movement you have, it's harder to hit you, you are faster and best items are easier to get/control. Also, if you have otion to go for rl or ra, get ra. Armor is the most important item in this game, with ra or at least ya chances of surviving the fight are much higher. You should look in the forum for weapon scripts - they will help you to response faster (no need to switch weapon manually). If you are low on hp, don't fight, but use strafejumping to move faster and get hp. That's all i think, you will figure out the rest yourself.

Thanks, yeah I noticed the ra/rl thing and I found that as I get to know the maps it is easier. The bot always seems to have a rl and always goes for the ra....hehe. Mostly I have to practice though, I know that...no amount of scripts are going to help me outside of more practice...hrm yeah I can kill level 0 bots now just not beat them. I haven't been playing this game for years like some here I just started today ha.

Thanks for all input.

CC.
2007-10-12, 13:53
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
good luck Crazy, and welcome to qw
Join us on discord.quake.world
2007-10-12, 15:53
News Writer
254 posts

Mar 2006
If you want someone to hop on a server with you and give you some tips then ask here.
Join the #qwrookie on irc.quake.net.org and ask any questions. There are plenty of people who can help.
I ain't got no time for this jibber jabber fool
2007-10-12, 17:01
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Welcome to the QW.nu forum!

I think the most important thing to grasp in this game is the thinking when it comes to weapons and armor. The armor is much more powerful compared to other games and the rocket launcher, lightning gun and sometimes also grenade launcher (not for primary weapon though) are pretty much the only weapons you should use in fights. You should also of course try to prevent the enemy from getting them. Like someone said, stop by in #qwrookie on Quakenet and i'm sure people will be happy to give you hints and tips and also play a few rounds against you.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-10-12, 23:10
447 posts

Jan 2006
i doubt movement will help a lot vs bots, since they tend to have absurd shaft % even on low skill levels. what you need to do is deny the bot armors and make sure you maintain control of key areas of the map. on dm6 this is ra and lg, on dm2 it is both the ras if you can, on dm4 it is the middle area and the ra. basically, if you can deny the enemy the armor you will win since you will cause immense amounts of damage when you hit him.

also, i've had a few drinks so if this makes no sense i apologize
Teamplay is nothing. Aim is everything. OBEY YOUR AIM

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg
2007-10-13, 03:47
401 posts

Mar 2006
Spamming is a skill in qw, you have to learn how to do it right and how to be effective with your spam. Most top players are very good at it. Spamming won't win you a game tho, you must learn to control armors. Armor and mega control is the most important part imo. OR if you're Reload don't worry about armors just use your bot aim :-)
2007-10-13, 13:20
312 posts

Feb 2006
griffin and dag are both four times as good as reload!!
2007-10-13, 14:39
151 posts

Feb 2006
The bot is predictable. Learn his paths, and be patient. In contrast to a real player, the bot won't predict your movement, so use that to your advantage. While a regular player might wait for you to come out if you're standing in RA on DM4, the bot will eventually come in to get you, so you can get out safe. Stuff like that.

But above poster(s) are correct in that even low-ranking bots have pretty insane shaft aim. Deny them the shaft and you should be ok.
2007-10-13, 16:00
284 posts

Oct 2006
dakoth wrote:
The bot is predictable. Learn his paths, and be patient. In contrast to a real player, the bot won't predict your movement, so use that to your advantage. While a regular player might wait for you to come out if you're standing in RA on DM4, the bot will eventually come in to get you, so you can get out safe. Stuff like that.

But above poster(s) are correct in that even low-ranking bots have pretty insane shaft aim. Deny them the shaft and you should be ok.

But the bots have some big weaknesses when it comes to shafting:

a) (mostly) They only start shafting when you are at their level vertically,
b) due to a) and maybe some other code or humanizing, bots can be bounced around with rockets indefinitely and they won't get one cell off from the shaft. This is quite easy to notice on povdmm4

To me the most annoying thing about bots is their sg, which is simply ridiculous. I also dislike that they have perfect timing on armors :/ That does kinda help though, if you play bots on dm6 and notice bots coming from GL, you can almost be 100% sure that RA will spawn within a couple of seconds, if it isn't coming, the bots from gl will just drop down to tele/lg.
2007-10-13, 18:16
401 posts

Mar 2006
mipa wrote:
griffin and dag are both four times as good as reload!!

Nah more like 7.65422 times ;-)
2007-10-15, 19:24
447 posts

Jan 2006
You really should try to avoid learning the bot's movement pattern. It will affect your game when you play vs humans, in a bad way... Playing against bots makes you a worse player. Instead, try to find people on your skill level and play with them. As pointed out above, #qwrookie would be a good place to look.

2007-11-05, 23:58
685 posts

Jul 2007
I'm rookie too, but to be more accurate on the powerup subject:

Learn the timings of the important items. Always get the Red Armor. When you do, look at your game clock (make sure it's visible) and subtract 20 seconds. So let's say you get the Red Armor at 2:53, then you must be there for the armor again at 2:33.

When you play ffa, the most important thing, besides armor, is Quad. It respawns every minute.

Also: have a key bound for every single weapon - don't use the mousewheel for next weapon command since that's way to slow.

Movement: learn about straferunning and rocketjumping.

Basicly, just get nQuake, type Help in the console and read everything - it's all there.
2007-11-06, 13:01
447 posts

Jan 2006
Having a key bound for every single weapon is a definite waste of space.

2007-11-06, 16:56
108 posts

Jun 2006
Ui, playing bots is not useless. Its a quick and easy way of playing 4on4. (on frobodm2 and e1m2, the bots dont play dm3 well at all), to practice quad runs (and timings, the bots are dead accurate to getting to quad) and get practice to not bore quads. A rookie would never have a change of doing much quadrunning in a mix on wargamez. Getting comfortable with having quad takes a bit of practice, and boots are good for that. They always run in your face when u have quad, so nice practice for rl to sg/ssg combos. And also 4on4 (and a also 2on2 to a degre) with bots dont feel so stupid as 1on1, since its just so more chaos. dm2 4on4 is often chaotic with real players as well

klaasklapper, i come from q3 many years ago, and when i started with qw one of the coolest thing was that u could have more firebuttons, and not one like in all other fps. Shoting rockets at plyers feet and then shaft them directly afterwards without using a key to change weapon was just awsome. Its much faster to have several firebuttons than change weapon manualy and then shot. And u dont have to use some of your movemt finger to do it. Like in q3 i had to sometimes let go of a strafe key to change to a weapon with my left index finger etc.
I have 6 firebuttons, and i can use every firebutton without lifting my movement finger keys.
I use esdf for movments. I shot grenades with a, left pinky. Use space for shaft/sg and left alt is sng. Mouse1 button is for shooting roxs, then i have wheeldown for ssg, and wheel up for sg.
To have scroll wheel up and down as firebuttons sounds ppry odd, but it owns after u get used to it. Very nice with quad and u suddenly have an enemy right in front of you, one scroll down and he is gone. If u changed manualy from rl to ssg he would ppr get 2 sg hit on u before u had ssg in hand.

bind MWHEELUP "weapon 2; +attack; wait; -attack"
alias jul2 "weapon 3 2; +attack; wait; -attack; weapon 2"
bind MWHEELDOWN "jul2"

And shaft on space feels good. I find it easyer to aim with shaft when i dont have to hold down a button on my mouse. When i shafted with pressing down mouse1, it feelt more eratic/straining, not as free like with space.

alias +mus1 "weapon 7 3 2; +attack"
alias -mus1 "-attack; weapon 2"
bind mouse1 "+mus1"
alias +lg "weapon 8 2 5 4; +attack"
alias -lg "-attack; weapon 2"
bind space "+lg"
osv
2007-11-06, 18:05
229 posts

Aug 2007
No need for ;weapon 2 after firing.. You can just use cl_weaponhide 1.
TEAM QUAD [need nothing]
shaga loses another friend
shaga discovers blast radius

QUAD
2007-11-06, 20:32
447 posts

Jan 2006
Shikari, I think you are wrong. While you might feel more secure having quad after having played 4on4 vs bots, playing botmatches instead of real 4on4's WILL make you a completely worthless teamplayer since you will get used to doing all the work for the entire team. Also, you will learn a very unrealistic behavior from the enemies when it comes to defending key areas - enemy bots will not time their attacks and on the whole don't act like humans would. This teaches you a kind of gameplay that isn't representative of real 4on4, and in the long run you lose more than you gain.

2007-11-06, 20:35
685 posts

Jul 2007
Shikari wrote:
alias +mus1 "weapon 7 3 2; +attack"
alias -mus1 "-attack; weapon 2"
bind mouse1 "+mus1"
alias +lg "weapon 8 2 5 4; +attack"
alias -lg "-attack; weapon 2"
bind space "+lg"
osv

I don't understand why the alias commands with a minus sign "-" are not bound to a key.... Your example says: "bind mouse1 "+mus1""... but what about -mus1?
2007-11-06, 20:41
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
+/-aliases work like this:

press a key which is bound to +alias will trigger +alias
when the key is released, -alias will be called
2007-11-06, 20:48
108 posts

Jun 2006
+is when u press down f.eks mouse1, -is when u release it. So u can get a key to do commands\action on release.
ups didnt see empezar post
2007-11-06, 23:00
685 posts

Jul 2007
Ok thanks

I've just experimented for a couple of hours now... pretty cool, but I'm still used to my old habbits. I'll probably take some time to really get used to this.

For now I've created this:

alias +rocketlauncher "weapon 7 3 2; +attack"
alias -rocketlauncher "-attack"
bind MOUSE1 "+rocketlauncher"

alias +shaft "weapon 8 5 3 4 2; +attack"
alias -shaft "-attack"
bind MOUSE3 "+shaft"

alias +grenadelauncher "weapon 6; +attack"
alias -grenadelauncher "-attack"
bind BACKSPACE "+grenadelauncher"

alias +supershotgun "weapon 3 2; +attack"
alias -supershotgun "-attack"
bind MOUSE2 "+supershotgun"

BTW: my mouse thumbbutton is configured as BACKSPACE, so don't think I'm using backspace on the keyboard
2007-11-07, 21:52
447 posts

Jan 2006
You'll want to add a "; weapon 2" at the end of your - aliases, otherwise you won't switch back to boomstick after firing.

2007-11-07, 23:34
401 posts

Mar 2006
Or you can just use cl_weaponhide 1. Much easier.
  31 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page