User panel stuff on forum
  19 posts on 1 page  1
Advanced Configuration
2007-10-02, 23:16
14 posts

Jun 2006
Hi, been watching a few movies and have been noticing that rollangle is on for the enemy players (can see them lean etc) but there seems to be no noticable roll for the player itself. Is this some kind of setting? personally I love having players lean so its easier to predict, but despise having it too high or it makes me feel sick playing lol
2007-10-02, 23:46
1435 posts

Jan 2006
2007-10-05, 15:11
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
does that work when playing? and with ruleset?
2007-10-05, 16:04
135 posts

Jan 2006
not with r smackdown
2007-10-06, 16:07
312 posts

Feb 2006
if some commands arent disabled by my commandline "-ruleset smackdown" then they wont be disabled, ill be using the secret cheats such as this
2007-10-06, 17:56
705 posts

Feb 2006
something like this maybe?
http://www.optisch-edel.de/fo/screenshots/galaxymap.jpg
update: i know what the game is called just have to trick my brain to remember it's name first.
2007-10-08, 20:34
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
eh? what is that and what does it have to do with cl_rollalpha?
2012-10-08, 14:52
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
I'm wondering if we can get some discussion going on why cl_rollalpha is banned in the smackdown ruleset?
2012-10-08, 18:09
News Writer
280 posts

May 2006
Agree with dirtbox.
IMHO, it's safe to permit it.
2012-10-08, 21:49
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
VVD wrote:
Agree with dirtbox.
IMHO, it's safe to permit it.

I don't think the question is whether its safe to permit or not, but the fact that it might affect gameplay by presumably make it easier to predict enemies.

I think its a good question, perhaps it's time to lift of some of the conservative rules when the player base is decreasing in an attempt to raise the average level or simplify for newcomers?

I'm not sure what I feel about it, but I really do think that this is something that should be generally agreed upon.

Perhaps its time for a completely new ruleset?
2012-10-09, 07:13
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
dimman - you can already increase cl_rollangle so that your opponent leans in the direction they are strafing. cl_rollalpha 0 simply stops your own screen moving when you strafe.
2012-10-11, 07:17
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
dimman wrote:
Perhaps its time for a completely new ruleset?
I agree with that. cl_rollalpha is the only command I know of that really shouldn't be banned.
2012-10-11, 09:56
1329 posts

Apr 2006
dirtbox wrote:
dimman - you can already increase cl_rollangle so that your opponent leans in the direction they are strafing. cl_rollalpha 0 simply stops your own screen moving when you strafe.

I could never use any rollangle setting other than 0, simply because your own leaning would make me feel sick and disoriented, thus nullifying the gain from seeing where the enemy is leaning. I tried some low rollalpha settings without ruleset smackdown and noticed it does help me aim the enemies slightly better and since my own screen was not tilting, it was pure gain for me.

The reason rollalpha has been "banned" so far is probably because it makes hitting enemies "easier". Not that fakeshaft, weapon scripts, independent physics, cl_earlypackets and antilag and other settings/tweaks are any different. In this light I don't really see a problem allowing rollalpha as it's not probably going to make players hit you that much better than the settings I already mentioned.
Servers: Troopers
2012-10-11, 10:55
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
Renzo wrote:
I could never use any rollangle setting other than 0, simply because your own leaning would make me feel sick and disoriented, thus nullifying the gain from seeing where the enemy is leaning. I tried some low rollalpha settings without ruleset smackdown and noticed it does help me aim the enemies slightly better and since my own screen was not tilting, it was pure gain for me.
Hey Renzo - You can use cl_rollangle without it making you sick if you also modify the cl_rollspeed.... I thought honestly that is how everyone played until I got to europe...
2012-10-11, 11:02
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
The settings I use when I dont have rollalpha 0 are:

cl_rollangle 2
cl_rollspeed 300

Otherwise I use rollangle 5...

Funnily "back in the day" I used to be on the committee who decided the rules for the smackdown ruleset and I just looked up the email thread about cl_rollalpha and I was actually against having it banned then also however Phil overrode me it would seem... I can't actually see a final decision in the thread it was just added anyway?
2012-10-18, 14:11
485 posts

Feb 2006
I think it's banned because you could set enemies to roll 90 degrees and see their head or feet around corners in some situations. =)
2012-10-19, 11:28
223 posts

Aug 2011
Well, since the prohobited command rollalpha has the same affect as using a motion sickness pill before going on a busride or whatever, it seems very conservative that it remains forbidden. Lets be real, rollangle can be legally used and all benefits reaped at the same time, so allowing you to use the motion sickness pill doesn´t seem like a game breaker. More like leveling the playing field.
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
2012-10-19, 13:08
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
cara wrote:
Well, since the prohobited command rollalpha has the same affect as using a motion sickness pill before going on a busride or whatever, it seems very conservative that it remains forbidden. Lets be real, rollangle can be legally used and all benefits reaped at the same time, so allowing you to use the motion sickness pill doesn´t seem like a game breaker. More like leveling the playing field.

?

You can use rollangle but not rollalpha because the latter removes the rollangle for your view but keeps it for enemies. Your comparision doesn't really make sense
2012-10-19, 14:41
223 posts

Aug 2011
If the text I wrote was too complicated for you to comprehend, let me simplify it:

"Rollalpha gives you a very marginal benefit, and should be legalized within the smackdown ruleset."
carrier has arrived - twitch.tv/carapace_
  19 posts on 1 page  1