User panel stuff on forum
  51 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Capture the Flag
2008-02-11, 19:43
9 posts

Nov 2006
I (ult.. lost that password years ago ) ported ctf to ktx originally and thought I would comment on the actual changes between it and purectf. I haven't touched the codebase since Nov 2006, but my understanding is the gameplay has not changed. The main reason for the port to ktx was simply to have more servers in which people could play ctf on (theoretically all the dm servers). I also wanted to fix some minor bugs and if possible make the game more accessible to dm players without abandoning the core ctf audience.

- ktx ctf has the same player physics as ktx dm. This might sound rather obvious, but pure ctf physics are actually badly broken. You can't accel jump nearly as fast in pure ctf. Hardcore ctf players would never notice this since their first move is always a grapple hop, but dm players perhaps going for minimal grapple usage will suffer greatly on pure ctf servers. Pure ctf pro did try to fix this is in the later versions, but I don't believe that was ever completed / the project was abandoned anyway.

- ktx ctf has random respawns except for the initial spawn inside your base. Casual players may never notice it, but the spawns are not random in pure ctf. Over the years I memorized the spawn order on basically every map. Its just ridiculously unfair what you can do with that knowledge..

- ktx ctf removed the 50 green armor on spawn. I saw this as something that was added long ago when qwctf meant 8on8 or more players with rockets flying everywhere. It seemed like an unnecessary change to dm for todays players.

- ktx ctf has team damage on by default. Team damage was always supported in ctf, but rarely used. A lot of ctfers were originally skeptical of this change, but I think they grew to accept it. Basically at the end of the day this just means less spam and more teamwork and also makes it a little easier for dm players to adjust.

- fixed grapple exploit. I won't go into details here, but there are some crazy grapple exploits possible on most pure ctf servers that allow for huge amounts of damage to be done at close range.

- grapple speed stays consistent regardless of sv_maxspeed. For whatever reason the Swedish ctf scene liked the feel of the grapple with sv_maxspeed 360 rather than 320. If I recall correctly I made the grapple behave like it was maxspeed 360 by default rather than actually requiring the maxspeed change. Obviously you want people to be walking at the same speed on every server..

I've noticed the bugs too where after doing /ctf you have to change the map or do a /kill. It was originally completely dynamic, but I believe that was changed because a few dm players couldn't stand the one time 15 second download of the ctf models .
2008-02-11, 20:00
9 posts

Nov 2006
mli wrote:
CTF is now enabled on qw.quakeservers.net:28501, 28502 and 28503. The map selection contains ctf1 - 8, ctf2m1 - 8, ctf3m1 - 9, all single player and deathmatch maps.

You (and other admins) should consider adding some custom maps if possible. Unfortunately very few of the original maps are suitable for 2on2 games (ctf8, ctf2m3, e2m2 and maybe dm4 and dm6 for a laugh, but thats about it)

2on2:
softbox (ctf8 replacement)
head
boom
rampage

4on4:
softbox
pound
frenzy

I'll try to make a package sometime, but for now they can be downloaded at:
67.19.93.114:10668
67.19.93.114:27500
64.41.101.175:29101
2008-02-11, 22:28
258 posts

Feb 2006
hiro wrote:
You (and other admins) should consider adding some custom maps if possible. Unfortunately very few of the original maps are suitable for 2on2 games (ctf8, ctf2m3, e2m2 and maybe dm4 and dm6 for a laugh, but thats about it)

2on2:
softbox (ctf8 replacement)
head
boom
rampage

4on4:
softbox
pound
frenzy

I'll try to make a package sometime, but for now they can be downloaded at:
67.19.93.114:10668
67.19.93.114:27500
64.41.101.175:29101

Added those to my servers. Btw is there any interest to start a CTF ladder? I could do that easily, just need someone with CTF experience to set the rules.
2008-02-11, 23:41
4 posts

Jun 2006
The problem with pure ctf physics is it sets a high friction value for players
add localinfo noautofriction 1 to your server config and it may fix most if not all of the movement problems.

As a side note Purectf Pro 0.05 has a bug that will crash the server if you turn on flag tossing.
Most servers don't use this feature but just wanted to let people know in case you were tempted to turn it on.
2008-02-12, 00:33
36 posts

Mar 2006
there are alot of episode maps that are suitable for ctf, e1m2, e2m2, e3m3, hmm and a couple more, cant seem to remember them just....

need to install quake and have a look.

[hell]-Zaq
Mine goes to eleven.
2008-02-12, 06:44
793 posts

Feb 2006
zaq wrote:
need to install quake

oh my
2008-02-12, 07:14
54 posts

Jul 2006
the windtunnels FTW !
nah but seriously .. there where a few ppl that used to play ctf pickup ....
might spread this thread around for them to check and see what they make of it
2008-02-12, 10:09
126 posts

Jun 2007
Doc wrote:
The problem with pure ctf physics is it sets a high friction value for players
add localinfo noautofriction 1 to your server config and it may fix most if not all of the movement problems.

As a side note Purectf Pro 0.05 has a bug that will crash the server if you turn on flag tossing.
Most servers don't use this feature but just wanted to let people know in case you were tempted to turn it on.

Thanks for the info, added the noautofriction command to quake.xs4all.nl:27600 , also only runetoss is enabled, not flags.
2008-02-12, 17:24
Administrator
181 posts

Jan 2006
I've found CTF interresting and tried it out a couple of times over the years, but each time I get really dissapointed in the physics on every damn CTF-server. If this noautofriction 1 is the remedy I sure will give it another go though!
2008-02-12, 21:07
126 posts

Jun 2007
Then please test my server and tell me if it works nicely now
2008-02-12, 23:22
715 posts

May 2006
swing:

Are you talking about not being able to speedjump (the first jump becomes slow)? I think that's intended because you should use the hook to gain the speed instead.
---Where can you see lions? Only in kenya! Come to kenya we've got lions.
2008-02-13, 08:18
Administrator
181 posts

Jan 2006
marshall wrote:
Then please test my server and tell me if it works nicely now

I've tested it now and imho it felt much better. The sv_maxspeed is set at 360 though, which makes moving very speedy. Try setting it to 320 as normal qw servers.

molgrum wrote:
swing:

Are you talking about not being able to speedjump (the first jump becomes slow)? I think that's intended because you should use the hook to gain the speed instead.

Yea I understand that they've changed the physics to balance it to the hook, I just can't be arsed to play QW with different physics. It screws my quaking up =p

The CTF'ers that's used to this might think that the standard QW-physics messes up this mod, but I also believe that more people (like me) can be arsed to play more than one CTF-game now with normal physics.

Any more opinions on this? Speak up quakers.
2008-02-15, 11:44
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
I've added a CTF entry to the wiki:

http://wiki.qwdrama.com/Capture_the_Flag

don't miss clan's xenocide guide to ctf in the links section!

edit:
marshall: share your server's ctf cfg (or other experienced ctf server admin)
hiro (or ultimo): please come back and bring friends to the ctf ladder!!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2008-02-16, 00:50
36 posts

Mar 2006
dEus wrote:
zaq wrote:
need to install quake

oh my

on my mac that is
Mine goes to eleven.
2008-02-16, 00:51
36 posts

Mar 2006
oh we still have our channel from the days.

#qwctf

maybe a good starting point for all interested.
Mine goes to eleven.
2008-02-18, 12:09
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
A CTF ladder has opened.

It is time to get organized. Imo its needed a ctf package, making playing ctf a walk in the park. The pack should contain the threewave client (may be needed add maps played in the ladder), teamsays binds + useful alias, loc files, and everything that makes the ctf experience easier/funnier.

So I request one of these old-time players to make a simple zip file with all the needed stuff and upload it to shub hub for starters. This is a critical step. We need to have this to continue trying to make a ctf revival.

Meanwhile i opened a team building iniciative for the 4on4 ctf ladder here.

If you like fast paced action with strategy:

Every wednesday night, from 20cet on, there will be pickups on quake.xs4all.nl:27600 on the allowed maps (to help ppl get involved!!) join #qwctf
I recommend to you to get in the server and get familirised with the hook and maps before joining!

See the wiki entry on ctf for download and more information. (a ctf starter pack is being made. Stay tuned!)
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2008-02-18, 15:06
126 posts

Jun 2007
Mmh i setup the server and then you pick a date at which i can't play
2008-02-18, 16:06
258 posts

Feb 2006
I'm sure there will be games on other nights too. We played yesterday for 1.5 hours (6on6 max) and it was super fun.
2008-02-18, 16:31
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
hopefully what mli just said will be true. We had to pick a day and wednesday seemed just as ok as any other weekday
2008-02-24, 19:15
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
The starter pak is ready.

open for suggestions:
download Shub hub
2008-05-30, 14:12
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
*bump*

Ive uploaded the starter pack again. get it here!
  51 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page