User panel stuff on forum
  125 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page
Client Talk
2007-09-29, 22:14
45 posts

Aug 2007
disconnect wrote:
ezQuake is playable on linux at least for me. I cant reproduce any linux-bugs with my setup :E. We are unplayable for case when AC97 sound card is used, or something wrong between chair and screen.

I am one of the Linux users who find ezquake unplayable under Linux.

I suggested quite a lot of workarounds to get acceptable sound latency in an earlier thread. Okay, so it is possible to do something against that nasty sound delay.

But one thing is certain: ac97 codec based sound cards are very common, so for all users of these sound adapters ezquake - out of the box, so to say - is unusable.

And it is not an ALSA problem per se, because other programs/games like aprq2 (quake2 client) can use ALSA and don't have any (noticeable) sound delay at all!

Using one of my numerous workarounds I am able to get good (low) sound latency.
But:
There is still something wrong with the client under Linux...
Can't help, but I am a significantly worse qw player when I play with ezquake under Linux than when I play with ezquake under windows XP, using the same config settings in both environments.

It looks like the Linux clients doesn't react as immediately to mouse button presses as the windows client does and/or that it occasionally misses mouse clicks.

I am now in the process of testing several settings.

What would be the recommended settings (question to all Linux users, too):

a) in_mmt 1 or 0
I used in_mmt, but could it be that this smoother mouse setting causes some issues?

b) in_mouse 1, 2 or 3
I think, the console help system is incorrect when using the Linux client:
it says in_mouse 1 is operating system default, 2 is direct input, and it doesn't even mention in_mouse 3 (evdev mouse)
In the online documentation I read:
in_mouse 1 is dga
in_mouse 2 is x mouse
in_mouse 3 is evdev

WTF?
This is all confusing...

And what is the difference between dga mouse and x mouse?
I notice that mouse sensitivity for me is independent of the xset settings, so isn't this a clear hint that in_mouse 1 and 2 (both) mean a dga mouse?

Anyway, I would be pleased to get some good answers to these questions.
I appreciate your work, no doubt about it, ezquake is a very nice and well featured client, but it DOES have issues for many Linux users.

thanks
sempron

EDIT:
To repeat myself and stress this again:
darkplaces doesn't have any sound delay issues with my ac97 based on-board sound adapter, and sound mixing doesn't need to be disabled either.
2007-10-08, 06:30
55 posts

May 2007
My ac97 sound card works flawlessly with ezQuake, out of the box.
Running ArchLinux.
http://lcd.satgnu.net/images/pictures/black_hearted_small.png
Help me understand the little that I know.
2007-10-08, 11:23
247 posts

Jan 2006
Mac OS X build \o/

I'll be able to play at work

is it yet done?
2007-10-09, 09:11
344 posts

Nov 2006
d2.cpe wrote:
Mac OS X build \o/

I'll be able to play at work

is it yet done?

talking about security module or client? If you meant the client whats wrong with the version found on the EZQuake homepage?
2007-10-09, 09:41
247 posts

Jan 2006
yep, client, my mistake. just checked and its there (1.8)
  125 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page