User panel stuff on forum
  147 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page
Other Tournaments
2007-10-08, 20:09
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Yes, but don't take one.

(the bot is annoying when it goes there and won't come out, isn't it )
Servers: Troopers
2007-10-11, 04:02
17 posts

Aug 2007
I didn't know I could use the trap, since then my frags score has increased a lot. Sometimes when the bot respawns at the top, he just takes a hell of a time to get down!! It sucks
2007-10-11, 15:49
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Yeah. This time there is no real abuse though, just play 1000000 rounds to get 1) zero upspawns yourself 2) million sidespawns for the bot and 3) hope the bot goes for the ya.

I hope the next map is something simple with no abuse, no spawnluck and no airshafting (ie. noentry, outpost, etc). Different spawnmodel would be great too (it's funny how the bot spawns 4-7 times the same spot in a row?).
2007-10-14, 03:15
805 posts

Mar 2006
niomic wrote:
Is there really no way of disabling rl totally, either from bot or server somehow. I can't tell you how many times I've gone mad when having a good run and then that mofo shoots 1-2 rockets to knock me off and own me / delay me enough to lose the good score. Especially on pov, was having an awesome run, going for top3 placement at around 8000+, bot shot me directly from spawn with rl enough to get me in the air a bit, then basically 100% lg'd me into the ceiling all over the map and ended behind me for my last spawn to ruin that one too. Suffice to say, that ended my povdmm4 portion of lgc instantly

You may like this one: LINK

This is the FBCA 1.01-kt with Trinca's 378 maps support and two extra deathmatch modes. The deathmatch 7 is meant for the LGC and the 8 is the same thing but you'll have only the LG.
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2007-10-14, 10:42
284 posts

Oct 2006
Renzo wrote:
Yeah. This time there is no real abuse though, just play 1000000 rounds to get 1) zero upspawns yourself 2) million sidespawns for the bot and 3) hope the bot goes for the ya.

I hope the next map is something simple with no abuse, no spawnluck and no airshafting (ie. noentry, outpost, etc). Different spawnmodel would be great too (it's funny how the bot spawns 4-7 times the same spot in a row?).

Dunno if phil is taking suggestions, but I think suggestions would be nice anyway

Amphi2 had its abuse in the sense that every pillar spawn for the bot could easily mean ~60-75% lg by just shafting directly at the bot since it tries to get out of the lava :/

The LG version of povdmm4 is quite a good, with little abuse. No high spawn, no armors, no switches and enough space to get out of lg range.

Outpost is a bit too plain / boring with no elevation changes. Noentry is quite a bit better. More complex maps might be nice as long as there are no armors / traps and spawns are either in one place or very unsignificant.

Oh well, week 6 is almost here and I'm quite certain I'll have enough cojones to submit something this time

Would also be nice to remove packs as well. Even though we are dealing with damage frags, packs allow you to stay alive longer and possibly getting significant advantage at times.
2007-10-15, 02:54
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Ok new map.

This could be the map that someone finally gets a 10k on (COUGHrenzoCOUGH) in LGC2
2007-10-15, 23:10
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
^Nice work with the overshaft stats.

I agree with what Niomic said about Amphi2, the bot is far too predictable on the pillar spawns and sets himself up for ez shafting. My 3 highest submitted scores were all from that week and it's the only map where I can consistently get >50% lg. But like they say, variety is the spice of life and it was certainly better than yet more povzzzzzzzdmm4.

dmm4_3 should get some pretty high damage scores I think since the bot is very rarely out of range. The main problem I have is when the bot goes up the steps but watching Renzo's demo gave me some hints regarding positioning to try and prevent that. One dillema I have is regarding what FOV to use, being such a small map one could probably get away with higher than normal.
2007-10-16, 01:28
58 posts

Feb 2006
so hangtime, what fov? 130? or more?
finem respice
2007-10-16, 01:35
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Why change fov at all? I've used 120 fov for the past 8 years (except one 3 month period with fov 125 last year) and I don't get any gains using different fovs. (yeah, I've tried few rounds with different fovs on LGC2 but it has been useless)
2007-10-16, 01:46
58 posts

Feb 2006
well the wider your fov, the better you can see what is happening on the periphery of your view. so on small maps like dm4, using a higher fov like 125 or 130, you can adjust to figures better coming onto the screen with a slight fish-eye fov in the big center room. of course, you might want to play around with adjusting the lg to zoom when you fire for max efficiency, for the apparent longer distance that a highr fov renders seems to make accuracy an issue---at least for me
finem respice
2007-10-16, 12:15
1329 posts

Apr 2006
I basically meant that changing for for some certain map probably won't do any good. Instead it might worsen things on other maps therefore I think changing fov for something temporary like lgc2's one map shouldn't be done, at least not for more than few rounds.
2007-10-16, 20:08
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Yeah of course it's true that in general sticking with one FOV that you are used to because then aiming feels the same regardless of the map. But I'm just thinking of ways in which people can maybe try and eek out some little big of extra performance for LGC2 as a contest - even if it is detrimental to their normal game!

xhrl, I'm actually using fov 122 as standard now. I used 133 for a few years but after switching to GL, I gradually lowered it down to 120 (mainly due to player models being smaller in GL). Then I got a widescreen monitor so found it better to boost it up a bit. You might find an old column I wrote about 6 years ago interesting (do a ctrl-f for fov): http://web.archive.org/web/20040221190419/http://www.challenge-smackdown.com/div_neu/columns/hangtime/
2007-10-16, 20:41
284 posts

Oct 2006
HangTime wrote:
The tweakers are those players who are constantly changing settings, altering sens by 0.000001 and changing mice in the middle of a clanwar. They are restlessly searching for the "optimal" setting, at which point their skill potential will be maximised. Typically they will try a variety of different mice, mats and settings in order to find the most comfortable and natural setup. Generally they believe that there is a "sweet-spot" at which everything will become easier once attained.

Haha, straight to the heart

Since I got back to playing qw more in 2004 I've been a heavy tweaker, getting worse in 2006 and really bad now in 2007. And when I talk about tweaking I mean everything: textures, crosshairs, skins, mice, mice grip, keyboards, pads, slicks, monitors (and their settings), gpu, windows optimization, sens, m_, dpi, buttons, tpmessages, general configging, you name it :F

To me there are two aspects to tweaking:

1) If you go hardcore like me, you will learn so much about conffigging and have first hand experience of all kinds of situations, gear and settings that you develop a deeper insight into the whole that is playing qw. This has served me very well in being able to help people with their setting problems and simply wasting eons of time on tweaks.

2) The Holy Grail. You won't find it, but you might get close. Only problem is that you'll never get used to stuff and it's hard to believe something is as good as you will find at the moment. One of the easiest examples for me is mice. So many mice and pads, but still I keep coming back to the first one I bought after my old mx510. I don't fully come back, just for a while, admit to myself that I play best with it and then try the other mice in row to find their sweet spot

I would probably play a lot more consistently if I simply let things be and consistency can't be bad. But I still can't quit the tweaking because it's become a passtime of its own. And then you hit highs and lows, for example now I can't seem to really keep ppl in the air on pov even with 13ms and settings that once enabled me to do that, yet I've hit my two over 60% lg scores on pov vs bot in the last 2 weeks (but using a different crosshair ). It does get frustrating when every day you play, you can't be quite sure how you're gonna do and wether or not your hand is still sore from playing with a totally different type of mouse...

yeah, really OT, point was that don't change your FOV and higher fov also means that you have a smaller target to pin on (good) and enemy position doesn't change as fast in relation to your screen / pov :F
2007-10-18, 16:08
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
who you are playing, is also quite a factor

the tweakers (nice read btw, hangtime) will only frustrate themselves. i had a "tweaker" period and i know that feeling... then i saw some photos of qhlan div0ers (griffin?) with the plus sign crosshair and regular textures etc, ripping it up.

i think the main part in quake is smoothness and a middle ground for sens. everything else is just years of practice, all of which is undone by "tweaking"
2007-10-20, 22:14
17 posts

Aug 2007
Hey I can't upload the demo "server couldn't save demo file". I'm desperate! Today is the last day, and I got a 65% lg demo
2007-10-20, 22:52
17 posts

Aug 2007
actually this is the message i get: "server could not save uploaded file "
2007-10-21, 11:50
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
i see your demo helm
65% 161 frags

if you still cant upload email it to me
2007-10-21, 13:36
17 posts

Aug 2007
I finally uploaded it, thx phil. Still wasn't enough to beat Renzo , but looks like I still have some hours left to try
2007-10-21, 14:16
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Looks like the table has been modified to not only include best score per player, but also best shaft percentage (if different demo from best score).
2007-10-21, 15:04
17 posts

Aug 2007
First, at last!
2007-10-21, 21:29
355 posts

Jun 2006
Helm wrote:
First, at last!

Only to be smitten by the true LG champ!
2007-10-21, 22:09
9 posts

Apr 2006
?? 2h left now i try to upload my dmm4_3 demo and its changed to dmm4_1 ??
i dont accept this timecheat heres my demo :
"http://www.ruleset.net/demos/s1k - s1k_vs_lgc2bot - [dmm4] - [dmm4_3]_015.qwd"
2007-10-21, 22:59
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
It is official, sweden has landed a major blow to brazil
2007-10-21, 23:28
9 posts

Apr 2006
btw thanks for the new lgc2, its much fun especially with the great hall of fame! gl for all shafters

pls could you add my above demo to round6, its from yesteday and i tried to upload it 3 times without success (the same error, as helm had)

maybe try to mark double entries when they are from the same round (r2 or r6 for example) as special "highest shaft acc. from player"
its alittle bit confusing when 2 scores are from the same round from a player without a note
2007-10-22, 01:43
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
ok, welcome to 8000 s1k :>

http://lgc.quakeworld.nu/?action=detail&demo=393
2007-10-22, 02:06
9 posts

Apr 2006
!thx
2007-10-29, 11:53
25 posts

Oct 2007
Hey phil,

Are we not going to play dm6dmm4? That map is a great challenge, imo. It would be interesting. :-)
2007-10-29, 17:09
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Hopefully not

I wonder how many maps are supported (bot routes) because there are better maps around than amphi2 or dm2dmm4 for LGC. Also a small refresher every now and then wouldn't cause any harm, I'm thinking about some outpost or similar with RL only, dh*dfrags would be the score or so on.
2007-10-29, 17:46
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
dm6dmm4 is a candidate for next week (and the only non-pov map included in lgc2.zip right now that has not been played yet)

give me more suggestions, but make sure there are frogbot waypoints for them. then, i can compile them into lgc2 and release an updated zip for next week

cheers

Phil

P.S.

I've also been thinking about a RL bot tourney, like RLC, and also about a DMM3 bot training on TB3/TB5 maps with 4 skill0 bots 10 timelimit. (I have a really old demo where us.gemini gets like 158 frags in 10 minutes on dm6 vs 4 skill0 frogbots ... you try it! he died a couple of times, but I would require zero deaths on the part of the player.)
2007-10-29, 19:14
25 posts

Oct 2007
!phil wrote:
dm6dmm4 is a candidate for next week (and the only non-pov map included in lgc2.zip right now that has not been played yet)

give me more suggestions, but make sure there are frogbot waypoints for them. then, i can compile them into lgc2 and release an updated zip for next week

That's great, I'll look for some new maps.

I think you should put a lot of maps in LGC2, some of them "carnage" like dmm4_3 and some others a little tricky like dmm4_1 or dm6dmm4. For example, you've said that the last week wasn't competitive. Not for me! :-) LethalWiz gave me a lot of troubles, because his shaft was awesome (58%), so I had to figure out a strategy to make a high amount of frags, but keep my LG on a good level. I was waiting for a new score of his, but I think he got pissed off by that map, lol. Helm's score was an absurd so I didn't think too much about it. :-D

That kind of maps gives us (the less afortunate, :-)) the chance to figure out how to get good scores too. It's really fun to play on a new map and see the players coming up with new ways to get more LG or more frags, and try to improve it!

Cheers!
  147 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page