User panel stuff on forum
  54 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Other Tournaments
2007-09-11, 18:27
151 posts

Feb 2006
Being one of the only script-kiddies and fullbright-whores in a clan that is mostly playing default.cfg QW, I was wondering how many would be interested - assuming there was a way to solve it - to partake in an experimental tourney that disabled all of these "cheats" that have been an accepted standard in QW since the dark ages. Without any further ado, the rules:

- noskins 1 enforced - fb base.pcx through setting is ok, but no complete fullbright skins.
- No weaponscripts - only manual changes through weapon impulses. This includes buttons that automatically change to a weapon and fire it. That would require 2 pushes - first changing, then firing.
- No movement scripts - such as the strafe-script that is commonly being used to simplify movement (pushing both strafes should make you stop entirely, not keep moving in one direction).
- w_switch and b_switch tampering to be disabled, and their values automatically set to the highest value (so that you would always have to put a weapon away after picking it up).
- r_drawflat, gl_externaltextures_*, gl_picmip disabled

That's pretty much what we've come up with. These rules obviously extend beyond those of the already accepted ones. If you have more suggestions to add to the list, feel free to do so!

edit: Clarified the movement scripts parts. I thought there'd been enough debate about that regarding EQL, clearly I was wrong
edit2: Just to clarify - THIS IS JUST A POLL! - there are no plans (on my part at least) of actually going through with this. I just want to know where the general public stand. Call it satisfying a curiousity, or whatever.
2007-09-11, 18:43
950 posts

Apr 2006
lol
2007-09-11, 18:49
89 posts

Jul 2007
no
test one two.
2007-09-11, 19:11
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
What is the idea behind this? split the community more than it already is? we could have 3 quakeworld divisions, "Kenya", "TB3" and "anticheat" please..
2007-09-11, 19:16
151 posts

Feb 2006
It's a POLL about INTERESTS for a HYPOTHETICAL tournament. Unbunch your panties and move along after you've voted if you don't have anything reasonable to add.

I reserve the right to use words you have to look up in a dictionary. So go look em up if you have to. No offense meant.
2007-09-11, 19:32
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
I'll use some words you would have to look up in a dictionary too then.

You little whiny GIRL, don't say that i have nothing reasonable to add, it's a fair statement what i said, you're idea is so far from the current ruleset that this would split the community. And don't say "No offense ment" when you clearly do mean to offend me, you little FUCK.
2007-09-11, 19:36
14 posts

Sep 2007
Or we could just remove TB3 and Kenya, wooooop all we got is 1 division
2007-09-11, 19:37
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
What maps would we play then?
2007-09-11, 19:38
14 posts

Sep 2007
start
2007-09-11, 19:46
151 posts

Feb 2006
It wasn't the words in my second post I meant when I said you had to check them up. But apparently you need help with those too. Lets get started, shall we?

hy·po·thet·i·cal /ˌhaɪpəˈθɛtɪkəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hahy-puh-thet-i-kuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. assumed by hypothesis; supposed: a hypothetical case.
2. of, pertaining to, involving, or characterized by hypothesis: hypothetical reasoning.
3. given to making hypotheses.
4. Logic.
a. (of a proposition) highly conjectural; not well supported by available evidence.
b. (of a proposition or syllogism) conditional.
–noun
5. a hypothetical situation, instance, etc.: The Secretary of Defense refused to discuss hypotheticals with the reporters.

Which means, this is most likely NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN, it's all just HYPOTHETICAL. Which is pretty much the answer to the maps question as well. Maps doesn't really matter for this poll, and so there's no reason to bring them up. See how easy that is?

And I felt pretty attacked myself when you accused me of "splitting the community" just by asking a question, so you'll forgive me if I don't ask pardon for being offensive.

edit:
I'd really just like some poll-indicated answers to a question that we've been debating in-house. I posed a scenario to simplify that question. I'm not looking to start a flamewar.
2007-09-11, 19:53
126 posts

Jun 2007
No, nuff said
2007-09-11, 20:04
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
I did not accuse you of "splitting the community" i said something like that would.
2007-09-11, 20:10
151 posts

Feb 2006
And I never technically said that you couldn't read the words I was typing. See how it works? Anyhow, I think we both understand eachother now.
2007-09-11, 20:11
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
And furthermore i did not say i was against these rules, i just said they were too far away from the current standard.
2007-09-11, 20:17
17 posts

Aug 2007
no.
good luck finding atleast 8 ppl who will join with these rules ;p
i can understand the no fullbright skins, but u can still change map textures, so no difference.
the rest is just ridiculous and makes no sense.

btw. the movement script doesnt speak for itself, wtf is that?
2007-09-11, 20:20
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
spod wrote:

I assume it's rocket jump scripts, and maybe even the new, slightly less harmful, strafe script.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-09-11, 20:23
151 posts

Feb 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
spod wrote:

I assume it's rocket jump scripts, and maybe even the new, slightly less harmful, strafe script.

Yep, though the rocket-jumping scripts are already disallowed in the regular rules that these would only (theoretically) extend, aren't they? Anyhow, not limited to just that either. I'm sure there are/will be other aids invented by people to help people play the game "better". But you get the general idea.
2007-09-11, 20:23
17 posts

Aug 2007
hehe cant believe ppl still not able to press 2 keys at the same time in 11 years old quake.
2007-09-11, 20:39
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Also consider disabling r_drawflat, gl_externaltextures_*, gl_picmip (dunno why this is limited in MTFL ruleset though). Some people with their responses here did really surprise me (in a negative way)...
However, the instant gun switching was possible in every qw client I think.
2007-09-11, 20:45
151 posts

Feb 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Also consider disabling r_drawflat, gl_externaltextures_*, gl_picmip (dunno why this is limited in MTFL ruleset though). Some people with their responses here did really surprise me (in a negative way)...
However, the instant gun switching was possible in every qw client I think.

Those are good additions. Regarding the gl_externaltextures - is it possible to somehow exploit the new hud, or can we keep that, and only put the limit on gl_externaltextures_world? I know there are lots of people out there who use the new hud.

edit:
Oh, and not sure what you meant about the instant gun switch, but the intention was never to add a delay to weapon switching. I think the best way to disable weapon-scripts (but I'm not a coder) would be to disable multi-row commands (impulse x;+attack, for example). This would also cripple some comfortable scripts people use, like having one button switch between ready/break, or one button to send more than one team-msg, and so forth, but I can't see any ramifications beyond that - but like I said, I'm not a coder either
2007-09-11, 20:55
569 posts

Feb 2006
i would not be interested in playing in such tournament.
2007-09-11, 21:14
1435 posts

Jan 2006
w_switch and b_switch are way too much in my opinion .. E.g. when you are in the middle of a rl fight and walk over LG in dm4... just annoying
2007-09-11, 23:02
151 posts

Feb 2006
Mmm, possibly Maybe just set it to 7 instead of 8? I'm not sure exactly how it behaves, as I've never played with it myself - I mean, if I'm firing an RL and I walk over Shaft, would it change to LG as soon as I stopped firing RL, or would it skip the change since I was firing a weapon at the time?

What we wanted to avoid with that ruleset is the increasing ease with how one can "steal" weapons nowadays. With today's gameclocks, it's become increasingly popular to just walk up with 200/200 in the middle of 4 enemies and "broesta" the second that you know a weapon is going to spawn in order to steal it without having to touch a button. This change would at least force you to swap to boomstick before you died, increasing skill required a bit.
2007-09-12, 01:05
229 posts

Aug 2007
I play almost like that always.
TEAM QUAD [need nothing]
shaga loses another friend
shaga discovers blast radius

QUAD
2007-09-12, 06:51
370 posts

May 2006
Would be fun, but I'm not able to not use my 'impulse ?; +attack' script after all those years. And that was already done in NetQuake .
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2007-09-12, 08:13
231 posts

Jan 2006
No. whats the point?
2007-09-12, 09:14
151 posts

Feb 2006
jOn wrote:
No. whats the point?

To increase the skill and attention needed to play the game. I thought that was obvious
2007-09-12, 09:16
151 posts

Feb 2006
Those of you who've chosen "maybe" - would be cool to hear which rules you disagree with, and why
2007-09-12, 09:55
569 posts

Feb 2006
dakoth wrote:
jOn wrote:
No. whats the point?

To increase the skill and attention needed to play the game. I thought that was obvious

yes we need more skill.
2007-09-12, 10:44
129 posts

Mar 2007
I voted maybe. Things I like:
- no all fb skins
- no boomstick scripts
- no movement scripts
- no retarded graphics settings

Things I don't like:
- no weapon scripts - you should still be able to hit a button to fire a weapon
- b_switch w_switch restrictions - just frustrating

I remember a long long time ago there was discussion that v_kicktime 0 was a 'cheat'. Perhaps you could pursue this to it's fullest extent, allowing no explosion changes, no modification to rollangle/bobbing/kicktime, no disabling pain flashes and item pickup flashes. This sounds like it would be pretty shit though, and would have a marginal effect on increasing 'skill and attention needed to play the game'. Maintaining your aim while having a flashing red screen, a big fireball with particles flying about everywhere and your view somewhere near the roof could be called a skill, I suppose
  54 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page