User panel stuff on forum
  85 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page
European Quake League
2007-09-13, 14:22
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
jOn wrote:
Ive been using this movement-script (kinda lol to call it that) without even knowing, since I'm using stuff from defs cfg. I can honestly tell that I cant feel any difference at all. Ive been trying to remove it since i dont like the +mleft thing alias but it didnt wrk. So i stick with it for now. Dont wanna mess more with my cfg. Its working, so why bother?

If you haven't managed to remove your movement script, then how do you know there's no difference? Unless you're using another cfg of course, but that probably means you've not tried it in action. The solution to remove the movement script is that the script changes some speed variables, which probably defaults to 0 in the config. That's how i removed mine anyway.

I really think you feel more crippled when playing without it after a long time. Things just seem slower. (No "But, QW IS SUPPOSED TO BE FAST N00B!" comments ) I guess it's not possible to detect it even if we wanted to though according to the devs?
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-09-13, 14:26
715 posts

May 2006
But, QW IS SUPPOSED TO BE FAST N00B!
---Where can you see lions? Only in kenya! Come to kenya we've got lions.
2007-09-13, 14:46
1329 posts

Apr 2006
The problem here lies with the people actually getting used to different settings as long as you play long enough. So when you say "I removed it and didn't notice it was gone after a few days" it just means you are already gotten used to it. Changing back like it was before will make you feel it's different, at least for a moment.
Servers: Troopers
2007-09-13, 19:23
135 posts

Jan 2006
plast wrote:
"Movement script" ain't working for me, I mean I added the code into cfg, rebound wsad keys and nothing changes... for example when I keep pressed +mleft and use +mright I'm still moving left (but way slower). Tested with allow_scripts 0-2. Could someone paste whole cfg where that scripts works, please? I'd like to test if it really can help in any way .

Anyone? :/
2007-09-14, 06:26
12 posts

May 2007
Renzo wrote:
Players like Milton or Reppie won't need these kinds of scripts, just look at them move

i saw that movement script in reppie's cfg for first time about 1,5 year ago. and i started using it - it helps a lot.

and i don't think it's something bad. it should be allowed, like cl_fakeshaft. that two things aren cheats or sth, and don't affect gameplay at all like radar or qizmo coloros.

BTW. ezQuake 1.8 stable is allowed in EQL? some people switched already to ezQ built-in teamsays and used to it.
2007-09-14, 12:12
312 posts

Feb 2006
"Players like Milton or Reppie won't need these kinds of scripts, just look at them move (or check Fifi's dodging ability on the ground). I would rather give an opponent an edge because of his moving skills instead of making a shortcut for myself to get a bit closer to better players' skill."

clans like firing squad or clan malfunction won't be needing any gameplay assistance with commands like teamoverlay (check their messaging ability). i would rather see a team member get shot with a quad rocket because he didnt know when to message his teammembers rather than there being a shortcut with just looking at the screen if a team member is making them noises.

SO the movement script is just a shortcut to magical skill and teamoverlay is just .. reducing the spam?
2007-09-14, 15:38
1329 posts

Apr 2006
QrA wrote:
i saw that movement script in reppie's cfg for first time about 1,5 year ago. and i started using it - it helps a lot.

He actually has that :E (didn't know this)

mipa wrote:

Edit: never mind.
Servers: Troopers
2007-09-14, 21:34
35 posts

Mar 2006
I find it rather strange that so many people are unable to detect the difference between using the movement script or not. Especially air acceleration becomes easier with it, because timing the strafes properly becomes less critical, and more importantly, inefficient timing will not slow you down, ever. (Unless your strafing/dodging is really off to begin with.) I'm not very experienced at QW, but seriously, without the movement script I have a hard time finishing ztricks, but with the script, I can finish ztricks2, zjumps and a lot of other speed only trickmaps for example. From a newbie's point of view it makes a great difference.
winners don't lose frogs
2007-09-14, 21:59
485 posts

Feb 2006
So lame

Clients should prevent binding/aliasing anything else with movement commands.
2007-09-15, 00:10
135 posts

Jan 2006
miarf wrote:
I find it rather strange that so many people are unable to detect the difference between using the movement script or not.

I'd really like to test it but it doesn't work with my cfg (nothing changes and I use currently normal +forward etc. of coz). Please post full cfg where it works :<.
2007-09-18, 10:15
151 posts

Feb 2006
Quote:
* Fallbunny ON

Why?

Quote:
Team overlay - Allow or disallow, all it really does for the div1 crowd is lessen the strain on mm2. I don't have that big a problem with it, but can see how it can be a bigger impact on lower division games, where reporting in given situations might not be as obvious to the players. The div1 crowd has long since gotten used to reporting when they're missing an RL, or saying when they're coming to RL on e1m2, etc.

Actually wrote this before having played 4on4 with it. After having done so, I'd say it's a bit too good, so I'm glad EQL crew didn't allow it.

Quote:
cl_fakeshaft - I'd vote to allow this as it doesn't actually change anything (just your perception of things). I've played around with it both with low and high pings and have found it more a distraction than anything else.

This, too, I wrote before playing around with the percentual values allowed. It can surely be an help to low-pingers if you set it to the right value. And for those who compare it to crosshair or some hud version - one word that sets them apart by miles; percentual.
2007-09-18, 10:18
14 posts

Sep 2007
dakoth wrote:
Quote:
* Fallbunny ON

Why?

Strike strike!
2007-09-18, 10:45
48 posts

Sep 2007
fallbunny should never have been implemented anywhere!
fucking turn that shit off! ffs
grrr
2007-09-18, 11:05
229 posts

Aug 2007
Fallbunny ON, why? Oh why?
TEAM QUAD [need nothing]
shaga loses another friend
shaga discovers blast radius

QUAD
2007-09-18, 12:08
715 posts

May 2006
Seriously, debating about fallbunny off is just one of the wonders of QW that I will never understand, ever. Why oh why are you so religious about having it off when the QW default is on (which is also the _playable_ value of it)? I brought it up in this very post too but noone answered me: http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=27029#p27029
2007-09-18, 12:11
14 posts

Sep 2007
molgrum wrote:
Seriously, debating about fallbunny off is just one of the wonders of QW that I will never understand, ever. Why oh why are you so religious about having it off when the QW default is on (which is also the _playable_ value of it)? I brought it up in this very post too but noone answered me: http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=27029#p27029

ehh its default off no?
2007-09-18, 12:18
485 posts

Feb 2006
QW doesn't have "fallbunny off", it's kt* mod feature.
2007-09-18, 12:26
14 posts

Sep 2007
okay but its still been off for 10 years or so
2007-09-18, 12:28
151 posts

Feb 2006
molgrum wrote:

I don't think the default value in QWCL is quite as important as the default value we've all gotten used to over the years. That's the biggest reason; it changes physics in a game we've played for some 8-9 years now (since kteams).

The change isn't as big as some of the jawnmode features for example, but it's still a change to the physics of the game, and that's why people are against it. If we wanted to play Q3, we would play Q3.
2007-09-18, 12:46
715 posts

May 2006
I wouldn't really say it's something we all have gotten used to, different servers have different defaults (I think only wargamez has it disabled) so I can't accept that argument, which leaves the gameplay argument (does it contribute anything?). Please answer the original post about the feature being stupid I'm pretty much for either enabling it or to find such a middle ground that I described in the post.
2007-09-18, 13:00
151 posts

Feb 2006
The biggest problem I have with fallbunny on is that if you get a rocket above you while jumping, and get knocked into the floor, you don't get a broken ankle and can bunny away quickly. I don't really care much about the fallbunny from window->pent on dm3, nor really the bigger issue of gl->platforms on dm2. But the fact that when you're supposed to get knocked down and crippled, you actually GAIN speed instead, is a major change in gameplay physics imo.
2007-09-18, 13:05
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
fallbunny is off!

thnx for the input
2007-09-18, 13:30
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
molgrum wrote:
I wouldn't really say it's something we all have gotten used to, different servers have different defaults (I think only wargamez has it disabled) so I can't accept that argument, which leaves the gameplay argument (does it contribute anything?). Please answer the original post about the feature being stupid I'm pretty much for either enabling it or to find such a middle ground that I described in the post.

And then you check what servers the games are played on. Wouldn't surprise me if the real figure of the games played at Wargamez were just slightly below 90% of both mix and clan games.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-09-18, 13:43
715 posts

May 2006
dakoth wrote:
The biggest problem I have with fallbunny on is that if you get a rocket above you while jumping, and get knocked into the floor, you don't get a broken ankle and can bunny away quickly. I don't really care much about the fallbunny from window->pent on dm3, nor really the bigger issue of gl->platforms on dm2. But the fact that when you're supposed to get knocked down and crippled, you actually GAIN speed instead, is a major change in gameplay physics imo.

How about the feature then? It would require you to jump perfectly timed with the rocket in order to keep your speed.
2007-09-18, 15:06
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
I have this "movement script" years ago. I believe it was made by angua.
imo the only thing it "improves" is that if you're pressing at least one movement key, its guaranteed that the player won't hold still. even if its all 4.
so i think it should be allowed

different Color/skin for each enemy - disallow ofc

edit: thank god fallbunny is disallowed
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
  85 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page