User panel stuff on forum
  85 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page
European Quake League
2007-08-28, 15:25
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Added short description of "Qizmo colours" to main post along with some links to further discussion on that topic, and a guide.

Another question is if all of these features are even possible to control? As noone have mentioned anything else i guess they can be controlled in one way or another, but i still have my doubts.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-08-28, 17:14
715 posts

May 2006
I think you just set an FPD on the server to disable them.
---Where can you see lions? Only in kenya! Come to kenya we've got lions.
2007-08-28, 17:33
355 posts

Jun 2006
Allow fakeshaft, movement script, and team overlay. I don't think radar can even be used during gameplay D:?
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Ake Vader wrote:
Is there any other feature i should have brought up here?

Qizmo enemy coloring

Is there a way to check for this though? Setting color specific skins also be done via the client (as you brought up a few months ago ;p) so I say allow it.
2007-08-28, 20:18
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
Radar
Is it even possible to use for competitive play? Will it even work?

No, it's not possible, due to client limitation "(cls.demoplayback || cl.spectator)" and also server not sending you all the data (you only get positions of players near you or those who you can see directly from your current place).
2007-08-28, 22:29
485 posts

Feb 2006
molgrum wrote:
I think you just set an FPD on the server to disable them.

Downside is that the FPD disables all color forcing. Would be annoying for some people.
2007-08-28, 23:49
245 posts

Jan 2006
radar: disallow
overlay: disallow
movement script: disallow
fakeshaft: disallow
qizmo: allow
2007-08-29, 13:06
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
[030911 14:33 by Apokalypze]
ApoK: The "ban movement-scripts"-discussion has been brought up again, what are your thoughts about this issue?

dag: I don´t really care what they do with the qw-scene anymore, but in my opinion I think it´s ridicilous.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2007-08-29, 13:23
569 posts

Feb 2006
So we should ask dag if he still doesnt care?
2007-08-29, 14:02
705 posts

Feb 2006
Of course he cares, he's been involved with the qw community for so long. long live dag
2007-09-01, 15:58
715 posts

May 2006
Map suggestions:

bsdm8
cmt3
cmt4
e1m5
e2m2
e3m7
enraged
ruins
skis2
skis3
skis4
2007-09-04, 12:12
151 posts

Feb 2006
To pick them apart one by one:

Radar - Disallow, especially if it has the ability to track enemies. While locs give you a general idea of where your teammates are, a radar pinpoints the actual location to a degree that isn't possible without a visual aid.

Team overlay - Allow or disallow, all it really does for the div1 crowd is lessen the strain on mm2. I don't have that big a problem with it, but can see how it can be a bigger impact on lower division games, where reporting in given situations might not be as obvious to the players. The div1 crowd has long since gotten used to reporting when they're missing an RL, or saying when they're coming to RL on e1m2, etc.

New(?) movement script - I don't have a problem with it. It might help some of those with movement issues, but I've never seen the value in having this script active. When do you ever push both strafe buttons at once?

cl_fakeshaft - I'd vote to allow this as it doesn't actually change anything (just your perception of things). I've played around with it both with low and high pings and have found it more a distraction than anything else.

Qizmo colours - Disallow. I don't see why you should be able to tell one teammate apart from another by their skin when you can't do it by any other way. If you could point and find their name, then sure, but as it stands we've always had the possibility of hiding behind our teammates to get away. The good players find the one that they injured anyway.
2007-09-04, 13:37
284 posts

Oct 2006
dakoth wrote:
New(?) movement script - I don't have a problem with it. It might help some of those with movement issues, but I've never seen the value in having this script active. When do you ever push both strafe buttons at once?

You can for example strafewalk a lot easier, just hold left down and tap on right, instead of frantically tapping both of them. Also in situations where you need really fast action between both strafe directions, the new script won't stop movement inbetween, but makes the movement smoother and easier since you don't have to time the shift so accurately. Helps doing different manuevers with aircontrol, manual rocket jumps etc where you would be going through left, forward, right ie.
2007-09-04, 15:13
151 posts

Feb 2006
niomic wrote:
You can for example strafewalk a lot easier, just hold left down and tap on right, instead of frantically tapping both of them. Also in situations where you need really fast action between both strafe directions, the new script won't stop movement inbetween, but makes the movement smoother and easier since you don't have to time the shift so accurately. Helps doing different manuevers with aircontrol, manual rocket jumps etc where you would be going through left, forward, right ie.

I understand what it does, I've just never found it actually helps me any. Maybe I'm just too used to it being the old way, so I know not to push both strafes; I don't see how using the script would change my gameplay any. I suppose you "can't teach old dogs to sit"
2007-09-04, 15:19
518 posts

Jan 2006
agreed with dakoth
2007-09-04, 15:32
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Speaking for ezQuake:
Radar - topic closed for us, it simply will never be enabled for gameplay (it'd require protocol changes anyway)
Team overlay - topic closed for us, it's an option you can control by a mod command, same like timelimit or anything else
Movement script - topic closed for us at the moment, since that'd ban FuhQuake; personally I've tested that script long time ago and I'm surprised by the response on this forum now, it really didn't seem very usefull to me; solution is possible, but will not be implemented (in official ezQuake version) before EQL starts, sorry
Fakeshaft - topic closed for us, it can be controlled; also the endless discussions are becoming boring, we already know all real and pseudo arguments for and against it
Qizmo colors - I've decided to write separate thread
2007-09-04, 15:36
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Thanks for that post Johnny, cleared up some confusion for me.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-09-04, 15:49
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
radar/overlay: maybe for new teams? no opinion from me for pro teams.
anti-keymash script (e.g. movement script): yes
fakeshaft: yes
qizmo colors: no opinion
2007-09-05, 13:02
8 posts

Jan 2006
radar sounds like easy mode to me!
team overlay though yes definately, makes it easier for teams who don't or can't use voice comms. Less teammate status spam would make for better
and more complex tp.
I played q3 for a while and the overlay was the best thing.
2007-09-05, 13:21
1329 posts

Apr 2006
I will quote myself from the other thread I made earlier on priv section.
Quote:
I received a movement script from Miarf just now and he had gotten it from the #qwhelp a year ago or so. The script goes like this:

code is already on the first post

So what does it do?

Basically it allows changing movement direction to be changed without releasing the key you are already pushing. So for example like this:

Keep +mleft being pressed down and tap +mright.

Direction change is allowed even if +mleft is being pressed. Normally this would cause player to stop movement at all. So how does this affect gameplay? Basically it allows sharper turns while dodging enemy fire; It also allows easier way of gaining more speed since pushing different strafe directions while strafing does not "halt" player's direction change; It also affects some trick rjs so that they are easier done (for example dm3 pent to window rj with just one rocket).

We tested this initially with Dmt and Fucu and we came to a conclusion: Not only dodging is considerably better (sharper direction change, especially efective at close range) but bunnying/gaining speed is easier and some tougher rjs are easier too.

I urge people to test this script (save those line in quake\qw\move.cfg and exec move.cfg in game) and report their findings. Then we need to think if something should be done about such "movement script".

Naturally I'm against this script, as it affects your movement (though not as much as rj-scripts). Kalma is also right by quoting that rule.

Now there is a problem: That piece of script is really hard to block from the client, so I wonder if there is anything that can be done.

As for the other things:

Radar - no way
Team overlay - READ1 READ2 -> test it, decide then, not before.
Fakeshaft - whatever, helps some, not others.
Qizmo colors - disallow, but allow force team colors (not individual players).
Servers: Troopers
2007-09-05, 15:17
715 posts

May 2006
Qizmo colors should be tested one season, then feedback can decide whether to have it enabled/disabled in the future.
2007-09-06, 10:11
174 posts

Nov 2006
Radar = no
Teamoverlay = no
Fakeshaft = yes
Movement script = no

Nothing really to say that haven't been said here already, just think it affects too much on teamplay/movement and some of the fun will change it's shape. And when fun changes to something it's not usually anything better.

(I'm ok with overlay on 2on2 but not on 4on4)
2007-09-07, 05:20
192 posts

Mar 2006
Ok, we already heard enough pros and cons. Lets start a vote and see how he ends.
Ill vote for Team Overlay: Yes
Because Iam sure, it will attract new players to play 4v4 !!
2007-09-11, 11:58
74 posts

Mar 2007
I don't know if the rules have been settled or not, but I'd like to chip in anyway.
Regarding the radar, movement scripts and fakeshaft I really don't have any strong feelings one way or the other.
But in my opinion teamoverlay should be allowed.

As it has been pointed out elswhere on these forums it helps reduce console spam and it helps promote better teamplay.
As HighlandeR pointed out, all it really does is help you and your temmates to "focus your communication more on "what to do" instead of "where are you guys" ".
It promotes better teamplay rather than change the gameplay significantly. You'd still know how to play as a team, the only difference is that you don't need lots
of experience parsing console spam to do so. It's exactly these kinds of features that keeps quakeworld alive, particularly for the newer players.

The simple reply of "allow" or "disallow" doesn't cut it for me. From where I'm standing it seems like the "disallow" option has come from players who have played this
game for a long time, and who don't really need it anyway. And if you don't need it, then don't use it. Personally I've been using teamoverlay since it became available,
and I love it. And so do a lot of other seasoned players I've spoken to.

So what if the teamoverlay is enabled? It won't give the teams any more of an edge when it comes to pure teamplay.
Even weapon scripts had more of an impact on gameplay than teamoverlay as far as I can tell..
2007-09-11, 13:33
229 posts

Aug 2007
I have played some short periods of quake/qw in my past(from qtest to this day). Now I'm actually fully playing it everyday and ever since I started I've been using teamoverlay because it's the most logical way for some stuff instead of mm2.

I used mm2 in quake2 for 4½ years. There wasn't anything like teamoverlay and I haven't played q3 teamplay ever so it's not something I've got used with other games. I can live with using just mm2 but now that we have something which makes it all better, why not to use it? Because some haven't got used to it? That's just being self-centered.

Also playing mixed with some strangers who doesn't use mm2 at all it's great. There are some believe me.

Radar doesn't need any explanation. It's just something which is good for perhaps practise or demos. It's not qw-style.

Movement script. Why not? It changes the gameplay but not for worse. Gotta try that one out sometime myself.

Fakeshaft. Some people are already using it at some degree and it would be shame to make them learn true(and lagging) shaft again.

I use teamoverlay. I do not use fakeshaft, movement scripts or radar.

MAKE TEAMOVERLAY MORE QW-STYLE.

EDIT:
If it's already possible with qizmo and you are not banning it, why not make it possible with ezquake? Or is this some feature that is decided to allow only for qizmo experts? I say yes for different teamskins and no for different enemy skins if it will be changed.
TEAM QUAD [need nothing]
shaga loses another friend
shaga discovers blast radius

QUAD
2007-09-12, 01:47
229 posts

Aug 2007
Gotta make a new post about this because it's that awesome. I just tried this "new movement script" and it's incredible. It's how qw should have been for years. It's almost unbelievable. I want it to stay. I wouldn't call it a life anymore without it.
TEAM QUAD [need nothing]
shaga loses another friend
shaga discovers blast radius

QUAD
2007-09-12, 13:30
135 posts

Jan 2006
"Movement script" ain't working for me, I mean I added the code into cfg, rebound wsad keys and nothing changes... for example when I keep pressed +mleft and use +mright I'm still moving left (but way slower). Tested with allow_scripts 0-2. Could someone paste whole cfg where that scripts works, please? I'd like to test if it really can help in any way .
2007-09-13, 02:07
1329 posts

Apr 2006
shaga wrote:
Gotta make a new post about this because it's that awesome. I just tried this "new movement script" and it's incredible. It's how qw should have been for years. It's almost unbelievable. I want it to stay. I wouldn't call it a life anymore without it.

This is basically why I'm against it. Obviously it helps your otherwise bad movement skills (and you can even feel it yourself), so of course you want to keep it.

Players like Milton or Reppie won't need these kinds of scripts, just look at them move (or check Fifi's dodging ability on the ground). I would rather give an opponent an edge because of his moving skills instead of making a shortcut for myself to get a bit closer to better players' skill.

Not everyone has nimble fingers, and they should't be allowed to "magically increase" their movement skill by some movement script.
Servers: Troopers
2007-09-13, 10:00
231 posts

Jan 2006
Renzo wrote:
shaga wrote:

This is basically why I'm against it. Obviously it helps your otherwise bad movement skills (and you can even feel it yourself), so of course you want to keep it.

Players like Milton or Reppie won't need these kinds of scripts, just look at them move (or check Fifi's dodging ability on the ground). I would rather give an opponent an edge because of his moving skills instead of making a shortcut for myself to get a bit closer to better players' skill.

Not everyone has nimble fingers, and they should't be allowed to "magically increase" their movement skill by some movement script.

Ive been using this movement-script (kinda lol to call it that) without even knowing, since I'm using stuff from defs cfg. I can honestly tell that I cant feel any difference at all. Ive been trying to remove it since i dont like the +mleft thing alias but it didnt wrk. So i stick with it for now. Dont wanna mess more with my cfg. Its working, so why bother?
2007-09-13, 10:02
231 posts

Jan 2006
Radar: No
Fakeshaft: Yes
Team overlay: Dont care, it sux anyway
Movement script: Yes
Different enemy skins: No
Different team skins: Why not? I dont use it...
2007-09-13, 10:21
569 posts

Feb 2006
my 2 cents about movement script. When i switched keyboard a few years back i used this for a short while. Before the switch i had a old ps2 keyboard and didnt really have a problem with pressing left and right at the same time. When i switched to a USB keyboard with slightly thinner keys i experienced this problem and the script helped me a bit. Eventually i removed it from the cfg and didnt really notice it was gone.
My point, some people might benefit more than others when using this script, depending on what kb they use. It should be possible to get used to any keyboard, but it is definitely harder on some and this script will make it easier for people that play from different locations.

Should it be allowed? I dont care.
  85 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page