User panel stuff on forum
  16 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2007-08-07, 19:17
7 posts

Aug 2007
This client looks great and plays smooth, but there is a strange problem going on with my pc + ezquake. In team fortress when a flag carrier is near me or if im near the flag, or a puddle of water, I get extreme mouse/input lag in game. My mouse stops tracking properly until I am out of that area or my pc 'catches up?'.

I recently formatted and the problem persists. I have a pretty good computer, so I dont see how I could possibly have such a lag/cpu lag issue with this client. The only way I can really play without worries of lag is if I set it to the lowest possible video preset. (the one where everything looks like legos)

I dont seem to have any problems with my normal settings on smaller maps like 1on1r, ive tried to change a few settings with little to no effect.

Here is my hardware:
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7800GTX PCI-E
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+
Mainboard Model A8N-SLI DELUXE
Memory SPD :
Module 1 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Corsair
Module 2 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 1024 MBytes, Corsair
Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

any help would be great, thanks for looking.
2007-08-07, 20:02
805 posts

Mar 2006
Welcome to the club!

http://quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1730

Edit.: Hey, you're not using an ATI video card! Go find your own club! :p
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2007-08-07, 21:42
7 posts

Aug 2007
lmao
2007-08-08, 06:05
383 posts

Jan 2006
Hm, i have same problem in random moments. And have Nvidia card. Where link to new club?....
With best wishes, B1aze.
2007-08-08, 09:15
312 posts

Jun 2006
B1aze wrote:
Hm, i have same problem in random moments. And have Nvidia card. Where link to new club?....

Same here :/
2007-08-08, 13:08
312 posts

Feb 2006
i have weird problems, as the mouse "freezes" and doesnt reply at all for a while - usually triggered on when doing mp3-commands but also happened all the sudden during a game. keyboard works well during this and this only happens in quake (newest ezquake mostly, and on extremely rare occasions fuhquake too) i dont think it has anything to do with my video card since i use software. and even though i have a shitty mouse i dont think its only because of it since i havent seen it happen anywhere except quake
2007-08-08, 14:29
303 posts

Jun 2007
I think there is something wrong with game engine or ezQ. Since i have ATI card, i'm not able to play QW anymore - lags, low fps, slide-show in large areas (for example q1_q2dm1 or q3dm6qw), weird mouse movement etc. I have similar problems with Quake II 3.20 but ALL engines, q2max, xp, evolved, r1q2 solve them, so problems in QW are NOT drivers or gfx fault. Try FTE, it works ok for me, and i don't get any problems with it, but i have old pc and sadly i'm not able to get constant 77 fps
2007-08-08, 18:35
8 posts

Jun 2007
Mouse delay/lag problems too...Nvidia.
2007-08-09, 22:14
2 posts

Aug 2007
Same here. Using:

Nvidia 7900 GT/KO

Happens every couples of minutes.
I only plan Clan Arena and I lose complete control. Not only this but it appears that often players in Clan Arena get info length string exceeded errors and sometimes their teams are set to blank and they are white.
2007-10-05, 09:58
16 posts

Feb 2006
I noticed the same here. All of a sudden my mouse froze and even my winamp in background stopped playing as if there were network buffering problems (although i played mp3s from disk!). I then switched my in_mouse to 1 (system default instead of direct input) and didn't notice any of these problems since then. Don't forget to do a in_restart after changing mouse input method.

I am not capable of noticing any difference in mouse responsiveness, so you might try it out too.
2007-10-05, 10:01
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Go thru all the tips here and come back here and tell what changed to better/worse and when.
2007-10-05, 11:05
231 posts

Jan 2006
play around with commands like: sys_highpriority -1/0/1 sys_yieldcpu 0/1 sys_inactivesleep 1/0. Also, you can manually try to set mouse priority in task manager, right click on mouse and set priority to above normal or something higher..
2007-10-05, 14:30
284 posts

Oct 2006
jOn wrote:
play around with commands like: sys_highpriority -1/0/1 sys_yieldcpu 0/1 sys_inactivesleep 1/0. Also, you can manually try to set mouse priority in task manager, right click on mouse and set priority to above normal or something higher..

You really really really shouldn't have to escalate mouse priority when using sys_highpriority 0 (or -1) and sys_yieldcpu 1. With all the mice (5-6) I've ran through ezq >= 1.8 with very intense graphics settings (and pretty similar setup as mythos) I have never had mouselags with those sys_ settings.

One thing that I have noticed _many_ times when helping people migrate at #qwhelp or #qwrookie is that if they load their old fuhquake (or other) config to ezq, there are some (still unresolved) graphics / system related settings there that can make qw crawl. I saw many examples where ppl would hardly be able to keep 60fps with very decent computers. I instructed these people to download nQuake and to under no circumstances load their old fuh/other cfg. In very many cases these people were hitting the 308 fps limit that is default in nQuake. If you really really need settings from your old config, please limit those settings to teamsay / weaponscript aliases, binds and basic player settings, leave everything concerning graphics / system out!

From my experience it seems that the problem is pretty much always in the settings(or heavy / sporadic background applications), but this is also a problem for the qwscene and part of the reason the settings for nQuake have been tweaked so much.

Even having said all this I can't help but feel that there is something oddly astray with something in ezQuake or ezq and a combination of other enviromentals - simply too many people having these kinds of problems (lags or heavy feeling mousecontrol) and unfortunately keeping many at fuhquake and out of the colored messages scene
2007-10-05, 15:43
45 posts

Aug 2007
niomic wrote:
Even having said all this I can't help but feel that there is something oddly astray with something in ezQuake or ezq and a combination of other enviromentals - simply too many people having these kinds of problems (lags or heavy feeling mousecontrol) and unfortunately keeping many at fuhquake and out of the colored messages scene

Exactly my own impression!

I know that ezquake under Linux has serious sound latency problems (see the corresponding threads about ALSA, dmix etc.) for quite a few people (ac97 based sound chips are not that rare after all! - provided that it is only with these chips that this problem occurs...).

That's why I tried a lot of workarounds that I described in great detail in this forum.

And yes, these workarounds help a lot!
Sound latency is no longer a real issue for me.

BUT:
Still mouse responsiveness under Linux appears to be worse than under Windows (XP).

I use in_mouse 3 (evdev mouse support) (very badly documented since the Linux ezquake console doesn't even mention in_mouse 3 and the other settings in_mouse 1 and in_mouse 2 seem to be wrong under Linux, too - the description obviously refers to windows users...).

If I use in_mouse 2 or 1 under Linux I get less mouse lag (or is it just imagination?), but:
there are serious problems with the mouse when I respawn, pressing the right mouse button to move forward doesn't initiate forward movement, unless I release the right button and press it again! This happens in about 50% of the respawning and it quite annoying!

If I use in_mouse 3 this strange phenomenon when respawning doesn't happen!

Does this appear familiar to any other Linux user here??

But whatever:
Since in_mouse 1 and 2 give this problem, I have to use in_mouse 3, and mouse movement seems to be smoother, indeed.
But also slightly more lagged!
And it doesn't come close to the smoothness and instant responsiveness of the windows ezquake experience (using the same mouse and the same config settings).

Doing r_netstats 1 I see that DEV has some values like 4.08, but this is not lower under Windows (it even tends to be higher there), and still Windows has better responsiveness!
What does this DEV mean or refer to, by the way?

It's a bit sad that ezquake has so many problems under Linux.
If I compare this to other games, like aprq2 (the best quake2 client in my opinion), then I have absolutely zero issues under Linux:
no sound delay (even using ALSA/dmix!!)
no mouse responsiveness problems

Ideas?

sempron
2007-10-05, 16:56
251 posts

Jul 2007
sempron wrote:
Doing r_netstats 1 I see that DEV has some values like 4.08, but this is not lower under Windows (it even tends to be higher there), and still Windows has better responsiveness!
What does this DEV mean or refer to, by the way?

DEV should stand for deviation, maybe even the standard deviation.
2007-10-05, 20:23
231 posts

Jan 2006
niomic wrote:
One thing that I have noticed _many_ times when helping people migrate at #qwhelp or #qwrookie is that if they load their old fuhquake (or other) config to ezq, there are some (still unresolved) graphics / system related settings there that can make qw crawl. I saw many examples where ppl would hardly be able to keep 60fps with very decent computers. I instructed these people to download nQuake and to under no circumstances load their old fuh/other cfg. In very many cases these people were hitting the 308 fps limit that is default in nQuake. If you really really need settings from your old config, please limit those settings to teamsay / weaponscript aliases, binds and basic player settings, leave everything concerning graphics / system out!

Seems like a nice way to start A good thing to do is to make all your binds (NOT graphics, systemsettings and so on), sens settings etc in a name.cfg and just exec that with nquake cfg or some other cfg, just to try different settings...

Good thinking niomic!
  16 posts on 1 page  1