User panel stuff on forum
  52 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
LAN tournaments
2007-08-07, 20:45
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
Hangtime, what about making 2 spots, since its very cheap to fly from anywhere to london!
What about having season2 in London, IF Season 1 turns out good?

any possibilities of getting a good price for hostel+internetcafe in london?
2007-08-07, 21:21
66 posts

Feb 2006
looks good dudes. finally someone is trying
2007-08-07, 21:47
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Most quakers are from Scandinavia so I still think LAN @ Stockholm is best plan.

Regarding hostels about 2.5 years ago we went to London to celebrate this girls 21st birthday. Funny thing was we had a limo for transport to/from restaurant/club but were actually staying in a really cheap/basic hostel called Millennium Lodge! Cost was £60 (~90E) for a room sleeping 6 people. Really basic room (just beds and shower) but £10/night is pretty cheap for London if you just want somewhere to sleep. I just looked for their website but it seems to be dead so dunno if it still exists or not.

Another prob with LAN @ London is that it's an expensive city for food/drink/transport. Especially as just getting from the airports to the venue can be expensive.
2007-08-07, 22:30
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
yeah hangtime, but still London would be a great stop, like having 3 stops/year

London/Stockholm/Berlin
2007-08-08, 00:14
370 posts

May 2006
d2.cpe wrote:
its round 200E for me, both way, with KLM. no cheap airlines from Amsterdam

97E with some Sterling.dk(?)

Try to go from Eindhoven or Brussel-Chalreloi, Ryan Air departs from those cities as well.
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2007-08-08, 00:15
370 posts

May 2006
HangTime wrote:
Most quakers are from Scandinavia so I still think LAN @ Stockholm is best plan.

Regarding hostels about 2.5 years ago we went to London to celebrate this girls 21st birthday. Funny thing was we had a limo for transport to/from restaurant/club but were actually staying in a really cheap/basic hostel called Millennium Lodge! Cost was £60 (~90E) for a room sleeping 6 people. Really basic room (just beds and shower) but £10/night is pretty cheap for London if you just want somewhere to sleep. I just looked for their website but it seems to be dead so dunno if it still exists or not.

Another prob with LAN @ London is that it's an expensive city for food/drink/transport. Especially as just getting from the airports to the venue can be expensive.

I reckon Stockholm isn't that much cheaper.
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2007-08-08, 00:53
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
how many quakers are from england?

if we want to save people money, just have the event where most quakers live. which would be scandinavia.

otherwise we can all just go to.... spain?
2007-08-08, 06:41
569 posts

Feb 2006
sassa wrote:
Willgurht wrote:
guys we play this game for fun.

When you play football or floorball in the local league with your friends you don't get paid. In fact you invest time and money into something you like doing.

Sure there could be a small prize for the winner. But imo it's not needed...

I still pay 100sek/tourney to play korpen football (indoors and outdoors)

That money wont go to the winning team, but rather to fund referees, rent a court etc... I think this is a big difference. I have no problem paying for the costs of internet cafe and travel.
2007-08-08, 07:45
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
then don't come to this event, it's that simple. i bet you are one of very few that don't want prizes for winners.
2007-08-08, 08:12
569 posts

Feb 2006
empezar wrote:
then don't come to this event, it's that simple. i bet you are one of very few that don't want prizes for winners.

Prizes for winners is ok if it's funded the same way as in most other sports that feature that. thru sponsors and spectator tickets. It's just that i think having a small prize pool of 1000euros adds almost nothing to a tournament. Of all the tournaments i organized, participated in and watched a first prize less than 10000euros hardly changed the atmosphere at all. The only thing i seen is disappointment and arguing.

If it was possible to guarantee that prizes is paid, even if only 50% out of the expected participants show up and pay their participation fee thats fine. Usually no one is willing to make such guarantee.
2007-08-08, 11:43
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
Qhlan prizes are not funded by sponsors!
its from our tickets if you didnt know, same way we will do basically
2007-08-08, 12:07
569 posts

Feb 2006
sassa wrote:
Qhlan prizes are not funded by sponsors!
its from our tickets if you didnt know, same way we will do basically

yeah i know, many other LANs do it this way also.

From what i heard, it has not always been red roses and beautiful butterflies. In the aftermath of quite a few LAN the only topic brought up is the promised prices not being distributed because of sponsors stepping down, unforeseen expenses, etc.. etc... You have been to several LANs and should be aware of this sad issue.
2007-08-08, 12:31
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
A more major issue would be how to handle the nice swedish tax system when it comes to paying out prizes and stuff. From what i've heard it's a whole science. Depends on how correct you want to be of course, but if it's not coffee money then it might be wise to consider all stuff.

(And it's things like these that seems to just pile up ;F)
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-08-08, 13:19
226 posts

Mar 2007
I'd say it's not very good to have that large prize money for the winner (1k€). We might get serious Wallu action at the final, ie. camping at top of GL on dm2.
2007-08-08, 13:28
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
PEKTOPAHKY wrote:
I'd say it's not very good to have that large prize money for the winner (1k€). We might get serious Wallu action at the final, ie. camping at top of GL on dm2.

we had that in the qhlan8 1on1 finals
2007-08-08, 18:57
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Prizes are a tough one because like Willgurht mentions, often people get annoyed afterwards when prizes are not given out.

I know the idea is that with prizes you will attract more players, but realistically how many players are gonna think they have serious chances to win? Maybe for div0 foreign duellers like Reppie it is appealling cos then it can cover the cost of the trip and more. But most guys know they are not gonna win elite QW 1on1/4on4 LAN event. They go because it is fun.

Prizes in themselves aren't always enough to attract people anyway. I remember there were (planned) QW prizes for Reunion LAN but still the turnout was really poor and so we got nothing in the end for winning 4on4. The only remotely competitive teams there was like Earthquake and some oldschool team of Pietro/Exile/Devil/Xorgal. Was kinda disappointing to fly to a foreign LAN and then end up with only like 30 quakers there so there needs to be some consideration when moving away from QHLan format.
2007-08-08, 22:42
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
HangTime, about prizes, when people register/signups they need to immediately to pay.
We can give them acouple of packages:

#1 32-37 euros (to play in the tourney and having a computer there)
#2 48-53 euros (#1 + 1 night in cheap hostel)
#3 64-69 euros (#1 + 2 nights in cheap hostel)

The price can vary due to not 100% information form the internet-cafe or sponsors.

But to the original question, there will be prizes from the start because for everyone that chips in, 20 euros will go to the prize folder!
2007-08-09, 13:00
715 posts

May 2006
So that's like 50% of the signup fee goes to the winner?
---Where can you see lions? Only in kenya! Come to kenya we've got lions.
2007-08-09, 13:37
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
yes and with this we will get huge attention on us from the big markets that will hopefully evolve to more tourneys with sponsors = more players
2008-08-12, 18:05
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
A year later and it's time to get back to planning! xD

Out of sheer curiosity i called one of the cafes in Stockholm to see what price they could offer (on ~40 comps); 400SEK/comp (i didn't do any heavy pimpage tho :I).
2008-08-12, 20:37
86 posts

Jan 2006
keep up the good work!
/tumult
2008-08-12, 21:07
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
First post in this thread was written ~Aug 2007 though; before two non-BYOC Dreamhack events which barely(?) ended up full. Would this be a big difference?
  52 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page