Index  ‹  Server Talk  ‹  help
  16 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2007-08-03, 21:25
41 posts

Aug 2007
can't get mvdsv to work.

downloaded mvdsv_0.27_Win32_i386

no matter what quake folder i put it in, something goes wrong. in its own folder it sends an error saying i need to have progs.dat installed,

execing server.cfg
Cbuf_InsertText: overflow
couldn't open accounts
VM_Load: "qwprogs"
SV_Error: You must have the progs.dat from QuakeWorld installed

that's what i get. i'm not sure what to do. any tips?
2007-08-03, 21:27
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
you don't have a mod installed, e.g. ktx, ctf, team fortress

download ktx here: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ktx/qwprogs.dll

put it in ./quake/ktx/

and then start mvdsv like this:

C:/quake/mvdsv.exe +gamedir ktx
2007-08-03, 22:14
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Moved this to the server talk forum. Cheers.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-08-04, 13:54
41 posts

Aug 2007
i'm afraid it didn't make any difference

so the ktx mod is only one .dll file?

i managed to get a teamfortress mod working with cpqwv. i simply downloaded an entire game package from their website. it includes several extraneous files, and an fuhquake install, but it's the only way i could get it up and running

my question is this

there are several different types of team fortress

they all go into the fortress folder

when you start a server with the gamedir fortress, how do you select which mod you're actually using? does it have something to do with the different varieties of progs.dat? can you load them manually? or can you only have one functioning version of teamfortress in your fortress directory at a time.
2007-08-04, 14:37
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Basically it goes like this:

You have a directory where the mvdsv is (like ktxserver or whatever you want the name to be). Inside that directory there is another directory (if you have ktx then it is called ktx, can be whatever too as it doesn't matter) that contains your "mod" that would be like qwprogs.dat, qwprogs.qvm, qwprogs.so or qwprogs.dll if we are talking about ktx/ktpro.

There can be other mod related stuff too on the mod directory, like configs, sounds, whatever. To start your mod with mvdsv you need to specify a commandline like this: mvdsv.exe +gamedir your_mod_dir -port 27510 (where -port is anything you wish it to be).

Proper directory structure for mvdsv:
quakedir/
quakedir/ID1
quakedir/ID1/pak0.pk
quakedir/ID1/pak1.pk
quakedir/ID1/maps/
quakedir/ID1/maps/*.bsp
quakedir/mvdsv.exe
quakedir/ktx/
quakedir/ktx/qwprogs.dll
quakedir/ktx/configs/*
quakedir/ffa/
quakedir/ffa/qwprogs.dll
quakedir/ffa/configs/*
etc
etc

Usually mod related stuff goes to the mod dir.
Quote:
when you start a server with the gamedir fortress, how do you select which mod you're actually using? does it have something to do with the different varieties of progs.dat? can you load them manually? or can you only have one functioning version of teamfortress in your fortress directory at a time.

You don't. You have to create copies of your mod-gamedir and have different qwprogs.dats on them as +gamedir xxx automatically loads the qwprogs file.
Servers: Troopers
2007-08-04, 19:16
41 posts

Aug 2007
ok. so it only reads prog files called qwprogs?

thank you. it's still not working, but i'm tweaking.

so here's my understanding

i need to have mvdsv in its own directory

mvdsv\mvdsv.exe

mvdsv\id1

mvdsv\id1\pak0, and pak1.pak i'm assuming they're the ones that came with the mvdsv download and not the origional quake paks, but please correct me if i'm wrong

mvdsv\kts\qwprogs.dll

now from what you've described, that's all i should need, correct?

i make a shortcut, edit the properties and enter "C:\Documents and Settings\Matt Nitchie\Desktop\mvdsv\mvdsv_0.27_Win32_i386.exe" +gamedir ktx

and i still get the error message.

now i imagine that the problem here is that i didn't put anything into my nquake directory, but when i do so i still get the same problems. am i missing a server.cfg or something that would fill in the gaps? it still claims that i don't have qwprogs.dat
2007-08-04, 21:44
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
this is from ktx release notes:

To use those releases, make sure your server configuration contains the following lines:
sv_enableprofile 0
sv_progtype 1
sv_progsname qwprogs

then for linux servers use qwprogs.so file, for windows use qwprogs.dll

so basically, put those 3 lines in server.cfg and put that file in /ktx folder..
2007-08-05, 04:51
41 posts

Aug 2007
hey neat! thanx! that finally did it i think

not sure how to use ktx yet, but i'm sure i can learn

getting a 'couldn't open accounts' line in mvdsv, not sure what that means
2007-08-05, 05:07
41 posts

Aug 2007
ok new problem. it workes sometimes, but as far as i know it hasn't worked with the actual ktx mod yet. i'm on the right track though. it does load a server i can log onto, but i get an error message saying

'application failed to start because msvcr80.dll is missing' etc.

any ideas? seems to only happen in reguards to the qwprogs.dll that comes with ktx

i know i'm on the right track. still tweaking, thank you so much for your patience.
2007-08-05, 22:36
41 posts

Aug 2007
PROBLEM SOLVED!

sorry for all teh hassle. as it turns out, i was origionally directed toward qwprogs.dll, as soon as i replaced it with qwprogs.qvm, all the problems cleared up. thank you everyone for all your help, i had just taken a bad first step.
2007-08-06, 07:11
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
the .qvm of the latest version is not available, hence pointed toward .dll :/

ktx v1.33 should work fine for your purpose though!
2007-08-06, 15:22
41 posts

Aug 2007
thank you. yeah, for some reason i just couldn't get it to work with the .dll. i told the config file to look for it. oh well.

as far as my teamfortress progress goes
i gave up on all the neat new modifications of team fortress
they all come with their own server software (which never works for me for some reason), fuhquake, server-software specific config files, and generally lots of stuff that makes things more complicated.

managed to find the original teamfortress with just a qwprogs.dat file and some .mdls and that works fine for now. would love to figure out how to run a customtf server through ezquake or mvds, but i've been tinkering for days and it's time to throw in the towel.

nquake is awesome
it makes things simple
any chance of adding modification simplification?

thanx for all the help
2007-08-06, 16:06
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
http://fquake.quakeonline.net/distfiles/nquake/resources/ <- these zip files should be pretty "simple"

i don't know if they work yet though
2007-08-06, 20:56
41 posts

Aug 2007
ooooh. that sounds like just what the doctor ordered.
2007-08-07, 13:21
950 posts

Apr 2006
Just a side note, .dll should now work since it had been corrected to link staticly hence suppressing the "'application failed to start because msvcr80.dll is missing" blahblah ...

Be sure to get both MVDSV and KTX files from SourceForge project pages.
If it doesn;t work, please report it.
2007-08-07, 21:56
41 posts

Aug 2007
the qvm works for me with mvds. not sure why .dll didn't work.

oh, and i found a customtf bundle with its own server program (non mvdsv). the documentation says that it's the only one that will work with customtf, and it seems to have done the trick. everything's fine now.
  16 posts on 1 page  1