User panel stuff on forum
  18 posts on 1 page  1
Rookies' Corner
2007-08-02, 20:56
41 posts

Aug 2007
just started playing again after a 7 year hiatus

a bit confused about how to download and use different mods

i'd like to run a teamfortress server......or even just a simple grappling hook mod

but all the so-called 'ez-installers' for tf, etc, make annoying little changes to regular ezquake's menus and config files and such.

what i've started doing is using the ez installers on c:/quake...as opposed to my nquake folder, and copying and pasting the 'fortress' folder into the nquake directory.

from there i load ezquake and type 'gamedir fortress' and changing the map and it seems to be working just fine....but am i missing a step here?

rambling aside, is there a guide to installing mods with ezquake and getting them to work with little fuss? without ezinstallers installing fuhquake...or qrack...or some other peripheral program i know nothing about?
2007-08-02, 21:10
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
if you want to run a server you should be running mvdsv, not ezquake, which is a client.

http://mvdsv.sourceforge.net
2007-08-02, 21:13
41 posts

Aug 2007
i guess this is my problem. i'm very VERY new to all of this.

if i want to download teamfortress...how do i do it through ezquake? it seems to mess things up or confuse things.

or if i wanted to start a game using a grappling hook mod or something simple like that, i don't know where to begin
2007-08-02, 21:22
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
first you download mvdsv and (preferably) put it in its own folder along with the pak files, like this:

./quake/mvdsv.exe
./quake/id1/pak0.pak
./quake/id1/pak1.pak

then you download the mod of your choice (in this case team fortress), and put it in its directory like this:

./quake/fortress/<files...>

then you start up mvdsv with +gamedir <modname> in the commandline, like this:

./quake/mvdsv.exe +gamedir fortress

if you have properly configured configs (hopefully they come with the mod), it should all work fine.

I'm not sure where you can get the different mods though, hopefully someone will give you a link.
2007-08-02, 21:37
News Writer
493 posts

Jan 2006
twotone what country do you live in?
2007-08-02, 22:35
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
Up2nOgOoD[ROCK wrote:
']twotone what country do you live in?

atlanta georga, I have seen the nick twotone before but on netQuake sites
damn it was a long time ago, welcome back if u still remember me from the old netquake.be site
2007-08-02, 23:29
41 posts

Aug 2007
oh my god what is it with you peoples memories.

i honestly haven't picked up this game in seven years or so, i've been to college and back, and people still remember where i live

its uncanny

yes, atlanta georgia...you are correct sir.

way to impress
2007-08-02, 23:35
41 posts

Aug 2007
empezar wrote:
first you download mvdsv and (preferably) put it in its own folder along with the pak files, like this:

./quake/mvdsv.exe
./quake/id1/pak0.pak
./quake/id1/pak1.pak

then you download the mod of your choice (in this case team fortress), and put it in its directory like this:

./quake/fortress/<files...>

./quake/mvdsv.exe +gamedir fortress

if you have properly configured configs (hopefully they come with the mod), it should all work fine.

I'm not sure where you can get the different mods though, hopefully someone will give you a link.

alright. now..i use nquake. which or ezquake whichever you want to call it. is the file structure the same there?

you said put mvdsv into its own folder....do you mean completely separate from the /nquake folder? and does that mean i need to have a copy of the mod files in both the nquake folder and the mvdsv folder?

the reason i'm so curious about this is i've been trying to download different mods, and each one seems to make ezquake look and sound different alltogether, permanently, whether or not i'm using any mod at any given time.
2007-08-02, 23:40
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
well yeah, make two folders:

/nquake/ for the client

and

/qwserver/ for the server

now u need: (exactly like emp said)

/qwserver/id1/pak0.pak
/qwserver/id1/pak1.pak

/qwserver/fortress/<files>

/qwserver/mvdsv.exe +gamedir fortress
2007-08-02, 23:44
41 posts

Aug 2007
ok! so you can't host a game in regular old nquake

here's a zinger.

sometimes the text in the console zips out of the screen before i can read it, such as when acquiring a map list or something. is there any way to read what has already gone out of sight in the console, or to make it scroll one page at a time?
2007-08-02, 23:54
News Writer
493 posts

Jan 2006
twotone there is a small tf community alive in america. get an irc client, join quakenet, and join #fold . talk to either Rickson[FOLD] KillJoy[FOLD] or myself (me being the best ) to help you out.
2007-08-02, 23:59
41 posts

Aug 2007
here's where all my questions came from

http://www.customtf.com/play.htm

when i load these packs into my nquake directory, they modify my ezquake client. frankly i get the impression that there's a lot of stuff in these installs that i don't necessarily neet, seeing as i'm already using ezquake and there's an entire fuhquake install with these packs. i thought mods existed in their own separate folder, so i just extracted the 'fortress' folder, but the config file was hidden in the 'qw' folder, so i managed to separate that. then i needed to hunt down the 'skin' files which are in a completely different folder and so on. is there a simpler way?

i have managed to log onto the servers that run this without using the specific install, but it doesn't download any specific textures and there's a wonderful config file for tf exclusive binds etc that i'd like to use when playing tf, but not all the time. you see how i can get lost. i'll attempt to bug the people on the irc channels if they don't mind. oh and thank you all for your prompt replies
2007-08-03, 02:11
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
here you got some up2date TF zips:

http://ftp1.srv.endpoint.nu/pub/software/fquake/distfiles/fortress.zip
http://ftp1.srv.endpoint.nu/pub/software/fquake/distfiles/fortressconfigs.zip
http://ftp1.srv.endpoint.nu/pub/software/fquake/distfiles/fortressmaps.zip
http://ftp1.srv.endpoint.nu/pub/software/fquake/distfiles/fortressmodels.zip
http://ftp1.srv.endpoint.nu/pub/software/fquake/distfiles/fortressscriptexamples.zip

they all come from fquake fquake.sf.net
2007-08-03, 05:27
41 posts

Aug 2007
Why Thankee.
2007-08-03, 06:26
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
those only contain game files, no server files.
2007-08-03, 15:08
41 posts

Aug 2007
hey. while we're at it, when i started this little game of 20 questions i hadn't realized that you were the man behind the nquake install

for the record

thank you.

the reason i stopped playing pc games is that they were too complicated to configure

you're doing a great service to us all.

my brother is getting married so i flew up to michigan for his bachelor party

before the real fun began, we went to one of those lan arcades to play some good old fashioned first person shooters, which we haven't done since we were kids.

to our horror, we had no idea what we were doing. we bought an hour in the lan, and it took us 20 minutes to figure out how to connect and load to one of the games, only to get lost in the huge maps and get ever more frustrated. we left early.

my brothers are busy, they have families, they don't have time to tinker with video games.
i linked them to nquake, and with any luck, we're just a few clicks away from killing each other like we were meant to.

thanx.
2007-08-03, 15:14
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
that's a great inspiring story
2007-08-03, 17:19
251 posts

Jul 2007
Welcome back!
  18 posts on 1 page  1