User panel stuff on forum
  19 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2007-06-30, 15:51
9 posts

Jun 2007
I've got a little suggestion for the next ver. of EZquake.

I for one am a sucker for stats. Starcraft and similar games would be nothing without the stats shown at the end of the games.
Same goes for qw, and being able to see how many RLs were taken and dropped etc. is always fun.

I'd like to see a chart with frags done on a time-axis, which you could sort by the separate teams and/or players.
That would clearly visualize how much effect pent did, or when the other team made their takeover, or make it more fun to compare games overall.
Any comments?
2007-07-01, 00:48
637 posts

Jan 2006
it's good for everyone, one could improve oneself a lot just by analyzing detailed information from the game, it's what racing drivers do with telemetry, you know?
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-07-01, 00:54
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
daan wrote:
Same goes for qw, and being able to see how many RLs were taken and dropped etc. is always fun.

Thats already in KTX, after each game u see lots of stats on each players! (wargamez isnt updated yet, but it should be in the upcoming week)
2007-07-01, 01:39
9 posts

Jun 2007
sassa wrote:
daan wrote:

Thats already in KTX, after each game u see lots of stats on each players! (wargamez isnt updated yet, but it should be in the upcoming week)

Yeah, I know, and I was using that as an example to exemplify how the game gets even more interesting with the help of stats.

My point was to be able to show a chart after each game with frags on the x-axis and time on the y-axis, and being able to sort this by teams and players.
2007-07-01, 08:29
569 posts

Feb 2006
q3 netgames had this. was very nice.
2007-07-01, 09:46
226 posts

Mar 2007
Yeah, i've been thinkin this also.. And other thing.. How about your personal stats from all the games you've played? It wouldnt take much space and it's easily gathered.
2007-07-01, 10:15
1026 posts

Feb 2006
the stats displayed in console are very hard to read

why not displaying them under the scoreboard like in Quake3? this way the autoscreenshot at the end of a match would capture the stats too!!
god damn hippies >_<
2007-07-01, 11:14
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
If someone just made a tool (web based or whatnot) that would parse the ezQuake .log files and fetch stats from them, then it's problem solved. I started working on such a thing, but just like most other QW projects, development stopped. :p

However, there are MVD parsers though i think. They had that kind of stuff on Quakeworld.us when they ran tournaments. Was quite nice.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-07-01, 23:54
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
ake, premortem is kind of free the whole summer, and he was asking for stuff to do, so bug him
2007-07-02, 11:49
637 posts

Jan 2006
it's quite hard to make an efficient parser, because, obviously, a parser has a certain amount of rules to follow when it parses the information but the problem is that, IMO, the servers send too little data to the client to make it reasonably obvious to create such a parser, in fact, I wanted to do this kind of thing ages ago, I had 20% done in PHP but then I thought it wouldn't work too well and I never continued it. Maybe I didn't put much effort into thinking how the pattern should look like, and I perhaps didn't analyze the console logs thoroughly but yeah, I could try doing such a thing this summer, just give me hints what kind of information should be visible
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-07-02, 12:44
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
im a stats freak myself and i would like to see more stats, like most of you.
Today's combination of KTX+MVDSV make possible generate a xml file that has plenty of information about each game. Qw stats heaven would be a php page that allowed the user to upload such xml files and interpret them, delivering nice looking tables and graphics; letting the user choose whatever he wanted to view (ofc some preset 'views' included).

such xml files look like this: (I opened it in Excel)

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2633/xmloz9.th.png

The xml file has 16 rows of info for each player. Each of these rows have specific data about the player's performance on the map.

Ive made some stats to use in FKT because i thought it would make the league more interesting. Here's some graphs generated in Excel based on the xml file:
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/9618/image029nn6.th.png

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/4940/image030yb3.th.png

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6087/image003ue7.th.png

As you can see, the xml file is powerful. If someone could make such php page, would be great. not only for "big" games, allowing commentators to get deep analisys of the game for the listeners delight, but for the casual game, where everyone can download the xml file generated by the server and upload it to the site and watch visually the stats.

How can you get this xml file? Well, a combination of MVDSV+KTX is required as well as some server settings i dunno exactly which. Molgrum and Renzo know them. Anyway, currently u need to know the file name of the .mvd file and replace the .mvd extension by .txt extension. write "download <file>.txt" and it should work. This txt file is really the .xml file you need. Currently i think this only works on jollen.se servers, correct me if im wrong. Server admins should be advised to apply such settings to their ktx servers.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2007-07-02, 13:09
9 posts

Jun 2007
Glad to see there's an interest for these kinds of things.

I'm all with mushi, who emphasizes the effect more convenient and detailed stats would have on pretalk and analysis of the bigger games. It would make it all much more fun and probably a guideline and a learning method too. Of course it would be just as interesting in the lower leagues and games as well, but perhaps not for the masses. People most often don't put together predictions and interviews of a regular season div 2 game.

My point though, is to implement a way to visualize frags per minute. That's my main point here. Feel free to work with it goqsane or whoever wants to have a go.
It's an interesting new load of stats which would be easy to grasp and help quickly get a good overview of the game. I'd love this to be sortable by teams and individual players too.

Hope there's a way. We've got lots of great ppl on the scene who know this stuff.
2007-07-03, 19:05
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
To mushi or someone:

If you could get some sample xml files uploaded somewhere it would be great. I'm mainly looking for xml files from 4on4 games. The only one i've messed around with is from FFA, so any other mode would be nice. I'm on a sucky computer so i cba to do my own research. Also, many servers doesn't seem to have those text files enabled. :\

Thx in advance

Update
Nevermind my request above. MVD demos recorded on jollen servers now comes with an XML file too. Thx Renzo! <3
2007-07-04, 09:01
950 posts

Apr 2006
Can we have a peek into what config is needed for MVDSV and KTX to have those xml files generated?
2007-07-04, 09:41
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
I LOVE the "sub-menu" and wanna get more into it with more suggestions concerning this.

for frogbots, why not have a sub-menu there aswell with "add-bots - Remove bots - skill level of bot" etc...

for joining a 1on1/2on2/4on4 game, when the idle-bot starts counting down your seconds then it can trigger some kind of menu in your qw that pops up with "ready / observe" etc... so it will be easier for players to go ready or what-not, this should be in sub-menu of 1on1/2on2/4on4 servers always.

This is good shit!!

ps. sry for writing here daan, thought it was open discussions about new features
2007-07-04, 09:47
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
deurk wrote:
Can we have a peek into what config is needed for MVDSV and KTX to have those xml files generated?

You need at least to enable sv_demotxt and regular MVD recording i think. That might be enough.
2007-07-04, 09:49
950 posts

Apr 2006
txt files just contains basic stuff, no damages total, no kills using weapons and stuff... just plain scores basically.
2007-07-04, 10:28
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Rename the txt to xml and it's gg?
2007-07-09, 11:50
75 posts

May 2006
You get XML output by using sv_demotxt 2

Regarding the stats stuff, it would be nice to be able to parse MVD's to get the same kind of stats like from KTX. ezquake has some code for doing that written by jogi, but it's broken. It's on my TODO-list to fix the code, and try to make a commandline util of it so that you could automate teh process of generating stats for demos.

Also, it would be cool to create something similar to battlenet... A centralized server(s) that you login to when you enter a server, and stats are sent to it, which are then presented on the web in some sexy format....

Lot's of plans, so little time
  19 posts on 1 page  1