User panel stuff on forum
  76 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page
LAN tournaments
2007-07-09, 15:46
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
blaf wrote:
Aquashark I think you are wrong, DM4 is CS in a serious duelmania competition with all the top players..

Quakecon will be completely different..

This will be a showcase for Quake and what better map than DM4, the original?

The one we've been playing for 10 years..

I want to see q3/q4 players getting absolutely destroyed by some of the NA players and DM4 is the place to do it.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see some good Q3 players actually beat some of the NA QW players on Aerowalk..

I wanna see them getting raped and dm4/dm6 are the best maps for nice frags and to show the spectators the movement and speed of QW, and show that we dont got the fragility that the other games consist of
2007-07-09, 21:16
637 posts

Jan 2006
aerowalk is present in all Quake versions

q2duel1 I think it's in Q2
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-07-09, 21:45
303 posts

Jun 2007
I think everyone who enter this competition will play all four games before quakecon and practice on the most popular maps. It's easy, just play some matches with bots, and you are familiar with map, game psyhics, powerups and weapons. Of course you won't master it, but you can actually fight, not just be a victim of spawn-raping.

And remember it's QUAKE series, and some parts of the games are pretty similar. Players shouldn't have big problems with weapons, movement etc. Players must use their experience to lock the map and to be faster than opponent. IMO in open fight, chances are the same for everyone.
2007-07-10, 00:18
64 posts

Mar 2006
Herb wrote:
I think everyone who enter this competition will play all four games before quakecon and practice on the most popular maps. It's easy, just play some matches with bots, and you are familiar with map, game psyhics, powerups and weapons. Of course you won't master it, but you can actually fight, not just be a victim of spawn-raping.

And remember it's QUAKE series, and some parts of the games are pretty similar. Players shouldn't have big problems with weapons, movement etc. Players must use their experience to lock the map and to be faster than opponent. IMO in open fight, chances are the same for everyone.

Have you played all 4 games? Quakeworld's physics and movement are much different than Quake2s, and much different than Q3 and q4 aswell.

Just like Q4 is much different than q3 and q2. The only two that are remotely similar movement wise is Quake2 and Quake3.
2007-07-10, 12:41
637 posts

Jan 2006
@up

vq3 and q2 of course
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-07-13, 13:18
122 posts

Jan 2007
Er... I've played Q3 and Q4. The movement in the games is the same, bar the crouch-slide trick and ramp jumping... The weapons are almost the same, etc. Q3 players have had no problem switching from Q3 to Q4.
--
"Dag eats little Reloads for breakfast." (c) :-)
2007-07-13, 17:16
303 posts

Jun 2007
Yes, i have played all four games. They are based around the same scheme, for example:

- In q1 useful weapons are: rl, gl, shaft, ssg sometimes sng

- q2: rl, gl, rg, ssg, chaingun, sometimes mg

-q3: mg, sg, rl, shaft, sometimes gl, rg, plasma.

-q4: mg, sg, rl, shaft, rg, hyperblaster or nailgun.

So, in all four games close combat weapon is shotgun or shaft, main weapon is rocket, gl is only support to other weapons. Q1 don't have good long range weapon like other q's, that's the main difference. Even if you play only one of the games, you shouldn't have problems with selecting proper weapons in various situations. Id always give players the same guns in different package, which is both good or bad.

Q4 is improved Q3, nothing more or less. Q3 gameplay is evolution of Q2 with mix of Q1 elements. Q2 is similar to Q1 in many aspects. Q1 is evolution of doom 1&2...

Id have never bother do revolutionize fps genere, they are not stupid, and all they have always do is took and refine elements that gamers love, add some minor changes, and release another doom, quake or rtwc clone/sequel. They haven't done anything innovative for years, even rtwc/et multiplayer is mix of TF and CS, nothing more, and ET:QW is pretty the same game with battlefield/tribes elements and quake 2/4 universe added.
2007-07-13, 17:34
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
All four games in the Quake series differs quite a bit. The changes i'm gonna list below are just from the previous game in the series to the next one. I have probably missed a shitload of changes, but these are the most significant ones i come to think of.

Main differences QW vs Q2:
1. No air control in Q2.
2. Doublejumps introduced.
3. Railgun introduced.
4. Armors severely crippled in Q2.
5. The rocket launcher is severely crippled when it comes to speed in Q2.
6. No weaponstay in Q2. I think they use 15s or something.
7. Weapon switching delay increased quite a bit.
8. Footsteps added. :p

Main differences Q2 vs Q3:
1. They decided to remove the doublejumps again.
2. Health boost on spawn, you now have 125h after getting killed. Why does this matter, you might ask. Well, killing off a person with 1 rail isn't as likely anymore, especially if you are low on health since last fight - then those 25 extra health points just might be enough for him to pick you off - which leads us to the next point...
3. Hitscan start weapon in the form of a machinegun that makes 5 damage/round. "But, the QW boomstick makes 24 damage/round! STFU!" - Well, the machinegun is a...machinegun, the penalty for missing a shot isn't as great. Also the pussy armors in Q3 adds upp to the tradegy.
4. Spawn system changed (at least for megahealth)

Main differences Q3 vs Q4
1. Crouch sliding introduced
I haven't played it or paid enough attention to register any other significant changes. The weapons seems to be the same etc.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-07-13, 19:21
1026 posts

Feb 2006
Q3:
- machinegun in Q3 does 7 damage/round in duel (5 damage in tdm) <- this sux ballz
- RL speed in Q3 is a compromise between Q1 and Q2 <- it is ok, less spam, more prediction skill required
- MH respawns in 35s or 1 minute (according to map) <- this is easier to time
- armors respawn every 25s

Q4:
- strafe jump is significantly faster
- ramp jumps reintroduced
- projectiles go through teleporters
- grenades bounce on pads
- weapons differ from Quake3:
(railgun damage lowered to 90, RL knockback is huge, LG is stronger, hyperblaster/nailgun/napalm gun (re)introduced, shotgun pattern is random, machine gun scoped damage is 10 etc.)
god damn hippies >_<
2007-07-13, 19:22
226 posts

Mar 2007
t-moe and fifi should play there since both are champions on qw and q3.
or the q4-traitors KOFF
2007-07-13, 20:16
355 posts

Jun 2006
Btw, maps are aero and dm4.
2007-07-13, 21:37
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

wtf happend to dm6!!

this is utterless crapp!!
2007-07-13, 22:22
303 posts

Jun 2007
I agree with Ake Vader and Aquashark, of course there are differences! But if someone play one of these games really good, he won't have problems like "omg what i'm supposed to do with this?!" when it comes to weapons and movement. That person will be a good opponent to any player, not just easy shooting target. I play QW and Q3 on lan with some ppl, and it is easy to switch when it comes to movement, strafejumping, weapons etc. (the only thing i will NEVER accept is weak lg in Q3, it just made me angry, they have changed a top weapon to a medium one :/)
2007-07-14, 00:37
447 posts

Jan 2006
Q3: Team Arena introduced a chaingun that was cute. I agree with anyone who says there are fundamental differences in the physics of QW and Q2/3/4.

out.
Teamplay is nothing. Aim is everything. OBEY YOUR AIM

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg
2007-07-14, 09:59
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
is it only me thats abit angry that aerowalk was chosen before dm6?
2007-07-14, 10:07
1026 posts

Feb 2006
where does it say?
there's no announcement on quakecon site, ESR or anywhere else
god damn hippies >_<
2007-07-14, 10:45
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
PlaZmaZ wrote:
Btw, maps are aero and dm4.

I thought it was officiall, nice that it isnt
2007-07-14, 18:25
355 posts

Jun 2006
So yeah, I retract my earlier statement.

First I heard about this tournament from person A a full day+ before it was announced. Then I heard DM6 and DM1 are the maps from person A. However just about a week ago I heard DM4 and Aero from person B. The DM4 and Aero selection was agreed by person A (and persons C, D, E, F) until last night when everyone is telling me DM6 and DM1 again -_-

I swear if it's DM6 and DM1, I'm going to cry.

I also heard Q2 has a map no one plays as well. Seems pretty obvious Quakecon is favoring the Q3/4ers.
2007-07-15, 16:39
1754 posts

Jan 2006
aero definetly should be in there, if it's cs6 then I'll cry a river.. dm4 is good enough
dm1??????????????
2007-07-15, 16:56
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
The maps probably haven't been 100% set in stone yet, but why ask us for feedback if they won't use it. I am 200% sure that whatever two maps they use, it will be two maps that are played at a regular basis in QW. My money is still on DM4/DM6.
2007-07-15, 21:56
370 posts

May 2006
Aerowalk is a pretty high speed map <3

How can they choose dm1....
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2007-07-15, 22:17
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
They didn't, someone in this thread was drunk when that statement was made.
2007-07-15, 22:22
27 posts

Dec 2006
Theres a good money prize for this tourney right?

Any europeans going? Theres gotta be more than a few out there with a high skill level in all 4 games..
2007-07-16, 06:28
355 posts

Jun 2006
Ake Vader wrote:

I wasn't drunk. I'm just basing it off rumors of people who also told me specifics about the tournament before it was announced. But the thing is, I'm hearing something different every night now :/

And sadly, there is some consideration into that map at least :/
2007-07-16, 06:42
569 posts

Feb 2006
/vote dm6 + aerowalk
2007-07-16, 10:24
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
PlaZmaZ wrote:
Ake Vader wrote:

I wasn't drunk. I'm just basing it off rumors of people who also told me specifics about the tournament before it was announced. But the thing is, I'm hearing something different every night now :/

And sadly, there is some consideration into that map at least :/

Consideration by whom? Have the tournament organizers said that themselves? As syncherror browses ESR on a daily basis and probably have a decent grasp of what's going on in QW i can't think of anything but two standard maps in the map pool, they've said so themselves i think. If they use DM1 they might aswell use qwcl.exe too - which we know won't happen.
2007-07-17, 03:06
27 posts

Dec 2006
Its official, its dm4 and aerowalk

Rules:
# 1v1 duel/deathmatch
# 15 minute timelimit
# 2-minute overtime periods
# Mandatory client demo and screenshot recording
# No timeouts
# No voting (map selection will be performed by SLANT tournament management system)
# No powerups
# Default weapon respawns (no weapon stay)
# Default health/item respawn
# Default server/mod settings
# PB enabled, LAN settings, no cvar check

Prize money :

#

First Place: $20,000
#

Second Place: $12,500
#

Third Place: $7,500
#

Fourth Place: $5,000
#

Fifth-Eighth Place: $1,250
2007-07-17, 03:13
123 posts

Mar 2006
Stupid settings for QW. Then again QW has always seemed to have been ignored by id in favor of Q2, Q3, and Q4.
2007-07-17, 03:20
485 posts

Feb 2006
It's dmm3 for QW.

Quote:
All of these rules are essentially our first public draft. As ceppy alluded to above they are subject to change. The dm mode was an oversite. - T-Dawg, Director of Competitions
2007-07-17, 06:51
355 posts

Jun 2006
Also, if a QW player does make it to the final stage, all four games are played and the winner of each match is determined from frag count. With 15 minute QW games, KovaaK could do it (assuming he gets a decent enough seed to advance that far after owning nubs) \o/
  76 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page