User panel stuff on forum
  76 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page
LAN tournaments
2007-06-29, 14:51
1026 posts

Feb 2006
If maps played @ QuakeCon2007 should be changed, the community must speak now!!

I think we all agree that dm6 should be selected, but many disagree with dm4 (including myself).
If QW will be showcased to the masses it's bad to show them the spamfest from dm4 to really attract them.

So let us vote the second map!

also here's a post of fix on ESR that i fully agree with
fix wrote:
when it comes to SERIOUS dueling in dm4 speed decrease 90% and the spam inferno breaks lose. As said its really boring to watch and in my opinion isnt proper way to show QW for the "masses". Friendly duels are totally different story.

Only maps that are suitable for open and fast gamestyle (which shows off best the "edgeless" physics of QW) are DM6 AEROWALK ZTNDM3.

If you want to watch camp/spam/back action go with DM2 DM4 but that would be just waste of time. For me QW has allways been about mastering the movement and adjusting to the fast gameplay.

Anyways its great to see that QuakeCon remember where it all started from. Im sure you will like what you get to see in QuakeWorld!

-fix
god damn hippies >_<
2007-06-29, 16:00
312 posts

Feb 2006
every map can be played +back its about players. dm6 high level duels are always just running away. lets introduce the dm2 ra-mega/tele camp
2007-06-29, 16:29
637 posts

Jan 2006
ztndm3 as it's often a compromise between speed/defence
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-06-29, 17:55
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
DM4 as it has a looong history and only god knows how all newbies will play it in the tournament.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-06-29, 18:00
70 posts

Jun 2007
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8868/rhva1.png
[url=http://community.livejournal.com/rdm_ru/][img]http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7192/rdmfs0j
2007-06-29, 18:12
355 posts

Jun 2006
You realize that more than 90% of the players in this tournament will be complete noobs in QW?

And why are you guys complaining about DM4 being too slow when DM6 is a map you all seem to want? DM6 has much less of a chance for +forward play than DM4, even against complete noobs.
2007-06-29, 18:18
1754 posts

Jan 2006
depends if its vq3 or cpma on that tourney! since vq3/osp has ztndm3 and cpm often has aerowalk :/
2007-06-29, 18:26
355 posts

Jun 2006
99.9% chance of vq3.

And ztndm3 sucks in QW anyways.
2007-06-29, 18:49
1026 posts

Feb 2006
wtf? there was a poll attached to this thread
where did it go?
god damn hippies >_<
2007-06-29, 18:58
1435 posts

Jan 2006
dm4 because it sux the least of all maps
2007-06-29, 21:58
355 posts

Jun 2006
BTW the bigger concern for the players is the customization Quakecon will allow. Some players play with custom skins, textures, etc and this stuff might not be allowed

Aquashark wrote:
wtf? there was a poll attached to this thread
where did it go?

When I first read this, the poll was still up but now it's gone D:?
2007-06-30, 06:16
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
PlaZmaZ wrote:
BTW the bigger concern for the players is the customization Quakecon will allow. Some players play with custom skins, textures, etc and this stuff might not be allowed

I would be quite surprised if Quakecon didn't allow everything that's allowed in let's say Duelmania/Ownage. I made sure they are aware of the Ownage/Duelmania rules so they can just copy/paste them if they'd like. Imo all tournaments should be run just like they are done online - according to the game's modern standards.
2007-06-30, 09:09
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
should be dm4 and dm6 without any questions!!!

those two maps are the heart of 1on1 (I would count dm2 before dm6 and dm4 but not for mass broadcast, dm2 is needed only if two highly skilled players play vs each other)
2007-06-30, 09:10
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
ye, dm4 + dm6 ftw
2007-06-30, 18:25
64 posts

Mar 2006
dm4 would be the biggest rape fests of the tournament.

I voted aerowalk because most quake3 players would atleast have some experience on the map.

I did not vote ztndm3 because the map would like dm4 be a rapefest, and it is different from ztntourney1.

my .02
2007-06-30, 22:25
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
thats exactly what we want, qw players to rape Q2/3/4 players
2007-07-01, 11:07
303 posts

Jun 2007
Good QW player will rape Q2, Q3, Q4 players on any map because he knows the game better (i bet even on Q3DM6QW, Q3 player will have trouble...). The real problem isn't about maps, but gameplay (i think it will be too fast for Q2 turtles ). And remember that QW have most complicated movement if you compare it to the other games. Weapons are not balanced like in Q3 and Q4, and i'm pretty sure it will be another major problem. Q4 players will for sure have problem with shaft if cl_fakeshaft will be off. And think about Q2:The Edge guys, they know only one map!

So it doesn't matter if it will be DM2, DM4 or Aero - i don't know what kind of ladder will this competition have, but if they will play QW first, it is possible that it won't be many ppl from other games left after this stage. And next matches will be fight between QW players on non-QW maps in other games.

I voted aerowalk because i like this map the most.

P.S. I'm not totally new to the forum, i was having some problems with my e-mail account (someone break in, change the password first, and then delete the account :/), so i was forced to change e-mail and made new account on qw.nu (i've reinstalled windows, and auto-log in didn't work anymore, and mail with pass was in the archive of my inbox that didn't exist anymore). So i will use the nickname Herb instead of Kasjer.
2007-07-01, 11:10
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
It would make the most sense if player got to choose game against their opponent, just like we choose maps in a QW tournament, against their opponents. Otherwise it will be kinda weird. People might go in the first round just because QW is too hot to handle for them, while they kick ass on the other three Quake's. I think the goal of the tournament, to get the most allround Quaker to win, is kinda ruined then.
2007-07-01, 15:46
284 posts

Oct 2006
Eventhough I agree with fix for the most part, I must admit seeing some pretty nice dm4 finals from qhlan. But then again we won't have reppie vs. whoever the other guy was

I voted for aerowalk simply because I think of it as a larger and more dynamic brother of dm4 and I have yet to see anyone be dominated as badly on aero compared to dm2 dm4 or ztndm3. On aero you can always get a weapon and have a chance. For a skilled dueller, totally locking up dm2, dm4 or even ztndm3 isn't that hard due to their weapon / armor placement and general layout.

I simply don't want to see matches where the experienced qw guy locks up the map and the other guy runs around with sg for 10mins. This is especially important for QuakeCon since it's an opportunity of a lifetime to repromote and revitalize qw. Who's going to want to start playing a game where a professional gamer of another quake game is unable to do anything for 10min straight

I do think that dm6 can be pretty well locked up by a good player even with dmm3, but at least with ga/mh/rl they have a shot at getting something done. Sure you can always get a weapon on dm4 too and might hit that nice raspawn a couple of times, but we know that against a good dm4 player, it doesn't really matter - you have no room to move and as soon as you teleport or come out on top, you'll get shafted / pined to hell :] If you sit and wait, you'll soon be flushed out and owned when you have to teleport or at ra.

dm6 also seems appropriate since it has so much history without being a total lockdown map (dmm3). Dm6 has been played in tdm 5v5,4v4,2v2, ffa, duels, ca and dmm4. Can't think of any other map that can boast such a versatile legacy. NA would probably be even more familiar and willing to add dm3, but I think we all agree that it's out of the question

Concerning the structure of the tournament:
Quote:
The tournaments are scheduled at the same time, if you had a conflicting match, you would likely have to forfeit one or the other. With the shear number of games the Quad Damage tournament is going to require, last count was over 1600 during the 2 1/2 days, our schedule is going to be VERY tight.

You're welcome to register and enter both, but you may end up having to forfeit one of them, and you'd be denying a spot from another player.

1600+ matches
256 players

They are supposed to get to 32 players after two round-robin rounds. I really don't understand how it would work with 4 Quake versions. From what I'm counting, it would take ~1000 games just to get through the round-robins with ONE game. Except if they mean game = qw,q2-4 all-in-one.

But I guess we'll find out soon.
2007-07-01, 18:02
355 posts

Jun 2006
niomic wrote:
NA would probably be even more familiar and willing to add dm3, but I think we all agree that it's out of the question

Just to let you know, the NA QW community isn't only CA. The real DM players never touch CA
2007-07-01, 18:42
284 posts

Oct 2006
PlaZmaZ wrote:
niomic wrote:
NA would probably be even more familiar and willing to add dm3, but I think we all agree that it's out of the question

Just to let you know, the NA QW community isn't only CA. The real DM players never touch CA

I lived in NA in 2005 and played with Boss at the time and judging by that period and past experiences, NA has a softer spot for dm3 thanks to CA as well no doubt
2007-07-01, 21:25
355 posts

Jun 2006
niomic wrote:
PlaZmaZ wrote:
niomic wrote:

I lived in NA in 2005 and played with Boss at the time and judging by that period and past experiences, NA has a softer spot for dm3 thanks to CA as well no doubt

Oh I know I just hate how the community now is labeled as CA
2007-07-01, 23:42
705 posts

Feb 2006
well i voted dm2 but i would really like too see catwalk or maybe ultrav. nice to see if those gamers of unmentionable games could handle the speed of qw.
2007-07-02, 07:02
1026 posts

Feb 2006
some players played QW before, some dabbled with CPM and those who play Q4 are used to speed since the movement is considerably faster than Q2/Q3

i'm afraid, since few QW players will attend and most of them are clueless about other games, they will get shreded to pieces early on

sure they will most likely win their QW maps, but.. they aren't as versatile as other players and this, like it or not, is a quality for any gamer
god damn hippies >_<
2007-07-06, 03:20
355 posts

Jun 2006
So who will cry if the second map is DM1 or something else that's never played?
2007-07-06, 06:28
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
to truly pwn, you must pwn in all games
2007-07-08, 09:34
39 posts

Mar 2006
Hate
...remember when you were young, you shone like the sun...
2007-07-09, 01:04
27 posts

Dec 2006
Aquashark I think you are wrong, DM4 is CS in a serious duelmania competition with all the top players..

Quakecon will be completely different..

This will be a showcase for Quake and what better map than DM4, the original?

The one we've been playing for 10 years..

I want to see q3/q4 players getting absolutely destroyed by some of the NA players and DM4 is the place to do it.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see some good Q3 players actually beat some of the NA QW players on Aerowalk..

Anyway why only push for 2 maps.. theres no rule yet? go for all 3 I say, DM4, DM6 and Aerowalk..
2007-07-09, 04:47
355 posts

Jun 2006
blaf wrote:
I also wouldn't be surprised to see some good Q3 players actually beat some of the NA QW players on Aerowalk..

Won't be happening since there are almost zero NA Q3 players playing QW right now and if they are, they don't pose a threat
2007-07-09, 11:11
284 posts

Oct 2006
blaf wrote:
Anyway why only push for 2 maps.. theres no rule yet? go for all 3 I say, DM4, DM6 and Aerowalk..

From what I remember, they have stated that two maps will be used. It's hard enough having four different games.
  76 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page