User panel stuff on forum
  11 posts on 1 page  1
Graphics Discussion
2007-06-14, 13:20
10 posts

May 2007
Hi,

Which tools you use to Skin your models?

Qme ist really shit for skinning
2007-06-15, 07:13
312 posts

Jun 2006
In fact i use 3 software :

- qme : for export the skin (uvmap)

- Photoshop CS : for texturing the skin

- Quake2 scene builder: for viewing the skin (24 bit support)
2007-06-15, 09:05
52 posts

Oct 2006
How to make uvmap bigger than default skin in qme?
2007-06-15, 10:10
312 posts

Jun 2006

* The model *

Launch
Quake 2 scene builder.

1) Into the control panel, select View > then select "One view port".

2) Window > Select "Object properties", "Scene properties" and "Color picket".

3) & 4) File > Open > Model > Select player.mdl.

5) & 6) For skiping shadows models, select "Object properties" window, select "Material", then "Ambient" and assign in "Color picket" window the white color with the select tool (arrow). Make it same for "Diffuse", "Specular" and "Emission".

7) If u don't like the background color, u can change it like this : In the window "Scene properties", select "Color background" and assign it again in the white color.

8) & 9) U can move the model in 3d view with the move tools (orbit) and zoom (fov).

10) If u wanna, u can skiping the sphere light too. With the "Select" tool (arrow) go to "Scene properties" window, select "Ligth" and delete it.

11) U can select other player's animation on "Object properties", "Animation" or play all animations

Save the model with "Save as" command...

* The skin *

1) For loading skin, u must convert (with Photoshop) the player_0.png to .jpg because QSB only support .bmp .tga .jpg .pcx files.

2) Click on 3d model, in "Object properties" window, select "Skin/animation", "Load skin" and assign the skin to the model.

3) If u wanna create a new skin, u must reload the skin with an other file's name for "refresh" texture.

4) Enjoy !

* The uvmap *

1) Open your model.mdl with qme.

2) Select "edit skin texture".

3) Select "paint triangles on the current skin".

4) Then "Files", "Export skin".

5) Open the skin.bmp with Photoshop.

6) Convert the skin.bmp to "rvb colors".

7) & 8) Resize the skin to 1024 for example

9) Start the skinning.

10) Save your skin to jpeg and load it for viewing your work.
2011-02-18, 18:18
6 posts

Feb 2011
I've been making some 24 bit skins recently and was wondering if anyone has a working link for the Quake II Scene builder program mentioned above? Or is there maybe something newer that would be better? Basically just wanting something simple to view 24 bit skins on the player model without having to go in-game.
2011-02-21, 02:17
6 posts

Feb 2011
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHbTchoJlavBR3R_s1ksY8iLg1rOQ9hMq4yrKiN2wnVjLLm-8ZCQ
2011-02-21, 13:04
685 posts

Jul 2007
Well I still have a cdrom with Quaketools, incl. QSB 1.9. Dunno if that's the version Primevil uses, but I've uploaded it for you here.

Ofcourse you could also use a tool like Blender or another package to import the skin, but it would require some knowledge about such a package. Perhaps Milkshape3d could be used as well. Both of them can't import .mdl files directly (without custom plugins), but you could use QuakeMe to create another format of the model that the other packages can read, like .dxf.

For just viewing a player's skin however, I really wonder if those tools are faster then a Quake client. When I dabbled with skinning for Fodquake (8bit skins), I had quake running the whole time with a freezed demo with a good view on the player so I could easily see how the skin looked each time I updated it (after reloading the skin).
2011-02-21, 14:49
793 posts

Feb 2006
ohs wrote:
I've been making some 24 bit skins recently and was wondering if anyone has a working link for the Quake II Scene builder program mentioned above? Or is there maybe something newer that would be better? Basically just wanting something simple to view 24 bit skins on the player model without having to go in-game.

i think adquedit might do something like that.
http://www.quaketerminus.com/tools.shtml
2011-02-21, 15:33
685 posts

Jul 2007
I doubt Adquedit let's you view a model with a 24bit skin... but you can try.
2011-02-21, 16:16
793 posts

Feb 2006
ah well. just go with the keeping ezquake running route then.
2011-02-21, 18:18
6 posts

Feb 2011
megalodon wrote:
Well I still have a cdrom with Quaketools, incl. QSB 1.9. Dunno if that's the version Primevil uses, but I've uploaded it for you here.

Ofcourse you could also use a tool like Blender or another package to import the skin, but it would require some knowledge about such a package. Perhaps Milkshape3d could be used as well. Both of them can't import .mdl files directly (without custom plugins), but you could use QuakeMe to create another format of the model that the other packages can read, like .dxf.

For just viewing a player's skin however, I really wonder if those tools are faster then a Quake client. When I dabbled with skinning for Fodquake (8bit skins), I had quake running the whole time with a freezed demo with a good view on the player so I could easily see how the skin looked each time I updated it (after reloading the skin).

thankyou for uploading that! QSB 1.9 works perfectly
  11 posts on 1 page  1