User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Client Talk  ‹  nQuake
  870 posts on 29 pages  First page13141516171819202122Last page
Client Talk
2008-06-23, 14:50
347 posts

Feb 2006
Could be an idea to split the maps into packs. You could make one containing "essential" maps and continue with two or three more successive supersets of this map pack. This way you could easily save bandwidth on players who just want to get started quickly or don't want a lot of maps, and still please the few that like to explore a lot of maps.
2008-06-23, 15:39
1100 posts

Jan 2006
empezar: I dunno what maps are in that zip but maybe http://www.quaddicted.com/stuff/playedmaps.txt will help getting started. That was about the map selection Renzo uses/d I think. And that mappack I once made.
2008-06-23, 16:31
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
maps that are not needed anylonger from that maps.zip:
3ebluebeta.bsp
a2.bsp
blessed.bsp
bsdm6.bsp
catwalk2.bsp
cmt1b.bsp
cmt2.bsp
cmt5b.bsp
cpm1qw.bsp
cpm3a.bsp
cpm3qw.bsp
dad.bsp
debello.bsp
del1.bsp
dm4ish.bsp
dmz1++.bsp
fmc.bsp
four.bsp
frobodm2.bsp
hate.bsp
head-shot.bsp
hook.bsp
kjdm7.bsp
lady.bsp
leaks.bsp
pdm18.bsp
pkeg.bsp
pkeg1.bsp
q3dm6ish.bsp
q3dm6qw.bsp
qcon1.bsp
qtdm3.bsp
rf2test.bsp
sacredb1.bsp
schduel.bsp
shine.bsp
travelert6.bsp
tridm3.bsp
tuhnu1.bsp
vdm3.bsp
ztndm4.bsp
ztndm6.bsp

This is up for discussions and no flaming, go ahead guys, why should any of these maps be left?
ps. I dont know which of these maps are used on xs4all so I can be totally wrong here .ds
2008-06-23, 16:50
1100 posts

Jan 2006
hate.bsp is the single most greatest, overlooked and underappreciated map.
2008-06-23, 16:58
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Yeah I definitely want to have the maps that are played on the biggest FFA servers.
2008-06-23, 17:31
793 posts

Feb 2006
sassa wrote:
maps that are not needed anylonger from that maps.zip:

ok, that's a good start. the following maps from sassas list i have played and i consider them good maps:

a2 (on xs4all)
blessed
dad
debello (xs4all)
del1
four (xs4all)
hate
head-shot (awexxxome, xs4all)
hook
lady (not 100% sure)
pkeg/pkeg1 (pick one imo, xs4all has pkeg1 i think)
sacredb1
shine

so i would vote to at least keep these maps if you go with sassas list.
2008-06-23, 18:04
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
I'm not really interested in keeping "good" maps, but maps that are actually played (e.g. on xs4all or on clan fights).
2008-06-23, 19:10
793 posts

Feb 2006
i see. in that case you should have most maps covered if you include the map rotations of these servers (that's for FFA): quake.xs4all.nl:27500,
quake.msk.ru:27500, 67.64.5.242:27500 (nobody's qw, US), qw.terra.com.br:27500 /terra qw, BR).
Flepser just posted his rotation for xs4all somewhere on this forum. for the others i'm not sure what the command is to find out the mapcycle... (maplist?)
2008-06-23, 20:14
715 posts

May 2006
Why remove newer versions of maps, rather remove the old ones.
---Where can you see lions? Only in kenya! Come to kenya we've got lions.
2008-06-24, 10:49
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Spirit wrote:
empezar: I dunno what maps are in that zip but maybe http://www.quaddicted.com/stuff/playedmaps.txt will help getting started. That was about the map selection Renzo uses/d I think. And that mappack I once made.

I don't know what I use anymore, earlier this year I removed quite few maps off from the servers in my signature. Well anyway... (my mind goes blank)
Servers: Troopers
2008-06-24, 10:59
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
That text file is huge. I'm looking to decrease the maps in nQuake.
2008-06-25, 11:43
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Include ztndm3 + aerowalk from tb3 and some other frequently used maps like povdmm4, skull, death32c and xs4all mappool. That should be around 20 maps or so total.
Servers: Troopers
2008-07-30, 12:23
73 posts

Jul 2008
Hi, I am a recent newcomer to quakeworld. I would like to say that qw ffa is the single most great gaming experience I had in months.

I searched for a good multiplayer game for several months. There are many shooters but they all play the same and are boring.
I first tried quake 3 because I remember having good experience with it. I downloaded CPMA to get it up to modern standards.
I liked the fact that it was fast and not boring like other shooters. After about a week of playing q3 I tried qw.

Poor graphics was actually the main reason i turned quakeworld down in the past but now I had no other option but to give it another chance since all other games i tried no longer were entertaining enough to play. The first thing that i tried to find after downloading ezquake are the hires texture packs that make the game look better without changing the original style of quake artwork. I found the quake revitalization project and dled both packs. But those packs did not include weapon models so I found primevils dm pack, later i had to combine it with plagues pack since neither provided complete replacement for all weapons/items that worked well ingame. Then I spend some time tweaking the graphics through the menu and console by enabling anisotropy and disabling mipmaps with gl_linear cvar. After that the game started to look considerably better than the original, this is a real shame since most people would not know how to do it or that such an old game is capable of modern graphics. After that I forced green enemy skins and white friendly skins for better visibility. I was pretty confused with the amount of options available in the menu compared to other modern shooters like tf2.

I have a couple of ideas based on my experience with ezquake and nquake:

-to get more players we need to look at modern games like tf2: simple user interface and good graphics, most tweaking should be done through the console since pros know what they need to change but noobs just want the basic stuff to get the game going
-crank qw graphics settings to maximum on its first run since most modern pcs can easily handle it and a lot of people judge games based on their graphics
-i found using quakeservers.net to search for qw severs considerably quicker and easier
-there is a need for a single pack that will upgrade all textures including weapons and will not change the original style of quake artwork
-most standard settings like green enemy skins should be turned on by default and non essential options should be removed from the menu
-i played ffa and it's very fun and noob friendly and i think there is a hope of new players coming to qw since there's really nothing like it
2008-07-30, 14:11
108 posts

Jun 2006
Having all options in the menu is great, even for experienced players its hard to remeber all the console commands, and the console is still there.
is r_enemyskincolor in the menu? a value of 0 255 0 is green ala what most use in q3.
2008-07-30, 16:57
705 posts

Feb 2006
eksy, we know what too do basicly but there's not enough manpower. |:<
2008-07-30, 18:19
95 posts

Jun 2006
Shikari wrote:
Having all options in the menu is great, even for experienced players its hard to remeber all the console commands, and the console is still there..

I disagree. Eksy is right, I think ezquake's options menu is just too complicated, and I hate to look at it with my conwidth/conheight (320x240). I think it should contain the basic stuff really, and it should look more like FTE's options menu.
ON:
What I didn't like in nQuake:
-frogbot: is it really needed? I mean I rather start playing FFA if I start qw, not bots. (ok, my main reason for not liking frogbot is that they drop freakin' WEAPONS instead of PACKS).
-empezar said this somewhere: "Since I'm a mac user I'll probably never agree on giving ppl choices", which gave me the idea, that nQuake installer will never give any choices on which extra stuff (new textures, etc) should be installed. It makes the installer more simple and lightweight (which I like), but I think there should be a choice (or an option later on) not to install (or to turn off) every single new stuff (textures, etc). In short: modern qw/vanilla qw should be the only choice. I know I might get an answer like "noobs doesn't care about the good old vanilla qw, they want modern graphics!", but since nQuake isn't just for newbies some people may like this. You might say "just delete the extra stuff, and there you have your vanilla shit", but it would ruin the feeling of a clean install (or give clean instructions like "remove this and this and this to get vanilla graphics", which would also sound good and more "official".

Opinions please!
2008-07-30, 22:48
793 posts

Feb 2006
i think eksy made a very good post and it's feedback like this - from experienced players that look at nquake for the first time - that is the most valuable.

on the question of rich vs simplistic menus i'm undecided. it's nice to have many options in the menu on the one hand, it shows how customizable quake is and how feature-rich. some streamlining could never hurt i guess and maybe there're also some features in there that don't absolutely *have* to be there.

ruskie wrote:
eksy, we know what too do basicly but there's not enough manpower. |:<

well, what kind of manpower exactly? i guess it's all highly complicated experts stuff for programmers? because i see a lot of manpower and very little requests for specific stuff, at least on these forums.
2008-07-31, 08:56
303 posts

Jun 2007
bent, i disagree about frogbots. They are actually important addition. Someone new to QW would rather practice with some bots firts, than join ANY server and getting raped constantly. Most of multiplayer only games have bots, and i don't see why QW shouldn't. If you don't like them, don't play against them.
2008-07-31, 09:57
1435 posts

Jan 2006
bent: nQuake is there only for newcomers i believe. if you are experienced enough and want "vanilla quake", install clean ezquake (which gives you choise during the installation not to install those few new textures it contains) and add pak1.pak to it. targeting at two groups of users makes it all harder - maintenance, support and feedback
eksy had a very good point about all the graphics packs, there's not some central one unifying them all
about ezquake menu - yeah it contains lots of stuff, main idea is to have all settings that make at least some little sense in there, but most of them under "advanced settings"; maybe some more could be put to advanced and maybe number of tabs could be reduced
2008-07-31, 10:58
1435 posts

Jan 2006
ok i've moved about 20 settings into the "advanced category" in the options menu, (that is they won't be visible unless you set advanced options on).
eksy: you say that gl_texturemode gl_linear looks better than gl_texturemode gl_linear_mipmap_linear? Are you really sure? Because it really doesn't look like that to me..
2008-07-31, 11:36
705 posts

Feb 2006
might differ between crt's/tft's ?
2008-07-31, 11:47
73 posts

Jul 2008
I constantly try to tweak the graphics, I may not be completely right though. Now I started using gl_nearest_mipmap_linear with 16x anisotropy and gl_detail turned on and it looks considerably sharper even with vanilla id textures.
2008-08-01, 05:03
73 posts

Jul 2008
It's pretty hard to find populated servers with ingame browser, maybe instruct the user to use this page http://www.quakeservers.net/quakeworld/servers/so=8/ and connect to the servers through the console or implement a feature that will retrieve server list from this site.
2008-08-02, 03:25
73 posts

Jul 2008
Using qrp packs and primeevils skins.

gl_anisotropy 16
gl_texturemode gl_nearest_mipmap_linear
gl_detail 1
high eyecandy

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/502/ezquakefw4yx3.jpg
2008-08-02, 08:49
73 posts

Jul 2008
Have you guys thought of merging ezQuake/nQuake by prompting the user for advanced install during setup?
This might end the confusion for the beginners and help to unite the community since everyone will use the same package.
2008-09-20, 13:15
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I'm using nQuake as base for my new install.

* The +gl alias that seems to be included by default, should the weapon priority really include RL? I suggest to remove it. :}
* The gameclock, should it really count down and not up by default?
* The hud numbers are too small or something. I'm having a hard time keeping track of the ammo, but i guess i might be rusty too. :p
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2008-09-20, 15:20
793 posts

Feb 2006
eksy wrote:
Using qrp packs and primeevils skins.

gl_anisotropy 16
gl_texturemode gl_nearest_mipmap_linear
gl_detail 1
high eyecandy

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/502/ezquakefw4yx3.jpg

that looks good, dm2 really looks much better without red-ish .lit files. you're not using lit files are you?
i'm trying to get my dm2 good looking for a movie.
2008-09-20, 15:47
73 posts

Jul 2008
dEus wrote:
that looks good, dm2 really looks much better without red-ish .lit files. you're not using lit files are you?
i'm trying to get my dm2 good looking for a movie.

I tried lits but most of the time they look out of place.
2008-09-23, 08:20
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
I'm using nQuake as base for my new install.

* The +gl alias that seems to be included by default, should the weapon priority really include RL? I suggest to remove it. :}
* The gameclock, should it really count down and not up by default?
* The hud numbers are too small or something. I'm having a hard time keeping track of the ammo, but i guess i might be rusty too. :p

Perhaps I should change the +gl alias, yeah.

I think gameclock counting up/down is personal preference, I'm used to it counting down so that's why it's counting down. I don't know what other people prefer. You are the first to mention it.

I've never had problems with the ammo numbers, but I guess I could make them a bit larger.

When I get the time.
2008-09-23, 14:09
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
As you say it's much personal preference about the clock. I've always considered adding time being easier than subtracting so that's why i use it. I'm also curious how the clock behaves if you go into OT - does it start over from 5 (if it's five min overtime) then?

I think it's a very nice pack/installer/configuration , didn't take long until a decent config was ready to play with.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
  870 posts on 29 pages  First page13141516171819202122Last page