User panel stuff on forum
Index  ‹  Client Talk  ‹  nQuake
  870 posts on 29 pages  First page11121314151617181920Last page
Client Talk
2007-12-26, 15:50
685 posts

Jul 2007
Who cares about these new graphics anyway... I mean, I rather have smooth gameplay without having to upgrade my pc for all these heavy duty versions of quake. Ezquake is perfect in that regard - it can handle high res textures and has some extra effects... just compare it to the original quake and realize that EZquake is already such an extreme makeover it's insane
2007-12-27, 00:02
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Although playing a very nice looking quake on a stable fps is even better
As long as the client is set-able for all players, those who prefer nicer stuff and those who like it simple.
2008-01-02, 23:03
15 posts

Oct 2007
Guys, I downloaded nquake.
I get this error when running though:

GLW_StartOpen() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Any ideas???
2008-01-03, 01:25
705 posts

Feb 2006
try to install drivers from ati/nvidia/whaterver you have
2008-01-04, 19:14
31 posts

Nov 2007
Why does nquake download shareware quake in the first place? Can't you simply ask the person where his pak0.pak is in addition to his pak1.pak? A "friend" told me that nQuake breaks the Quake Shareware EULA somehow, and it'd be nice to sidestep this last remaining legal issue.
2008-01-04, 19:19
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
your friend should be more specific
2008-01-04, 19:30
31 posts

Nov 2007
The "friend' is cheapalert aka leileilol, and i put 'friend' in quotes because i really don't like him, but open source zealots are far more likely to beleive him than me.

Anyway, here is (i beleive) the relivent section of the Quake Shareware EULA

Quote:
6. Permitted Distribution. So long as this Agreement
accompanies the Software at all times, ID grants to Providers the
limited right to distribute, free of charge, except normal access
fees, and by electronic means only, the Software; provided, however,
the Software must be so electronically distributed only in a
compressed format. The term "Providers," as used in the foregoing
sentence, shall mean persons whose business it is to provide
services on the Internet, on commercial online networks, or on the
BBS. Anyone who receives the Software from a Provider shall be
limited to all the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Further,
ID grants to you, the end-user, the limited right to distribute,
free of charge only, the Software as a whole.

Anyway, the question still stands, why not simply allow users to supply their own pak0.pak, since they almost certianly have access to it?

EDIT: Here is my own personal analysis of this clause. The thing is, ID software only wants their game distributed in compressed format and whole. The crux is that, in my opninion, the installer itself does not really count as an end user or distributor, the distributor would be the ISP you would get it from, and the end user is the person using the installer. In addition, the installer downloads the unmodified quakeworld shareware archive, extracts the correct pakfile, then deletes the rest. The installer automates a process which an end user is perfectly within his rights to do. So really, leilei is probably incorrect.

Still, why not simply ask the user for his pak0.pak and save on the download time?
2008-01-04, 19:44
1026 posts

Feb 2006
Quake shareware is distributed in compressed format.. it doesn't say anywhere in the license agreement that its content can't be extracted by a 3rd party (after all even the user is a 3rd party that can do this).

nobody cares about this non-issue really..
SyncError from id software said on ESR that nQuake is fine.

do you see id software take legal action for any minor technicalities like this, tarnishing their reputation (after making the engine and maps open source)?

plus i really think nQuake adds some Steam hits to Quake since it has that Buy @ Steam link..

PS: cheapalert is a weirdo
god damn hippies >_<
2008-01-04, 20:40
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
nquake actually checks for pak0.pak in the folder it is being installed into, i COULD add a pak0.pak check that does the same thing the pak1.pak check does.

I'll add that to my todo list.

i want it to be transparent though, since i think nquake already has too many "pages" in the installer...

and about the license thingy, yeah... nquake itself is just a program, the actual contents is a separate part, "distributed" by the mirrors. and in that, GPL is kept from non-GPL and the shareware is intact. i think cheapalert simply has something against me for making equake, which wasn't legal.
2008-01-04, 23:31
1100 posts

Jan 2006
cheapalert/leileilol is a sad individual who thinks it is his duty to bother anyone infringing anyone's copyright. I would not be surprised if he would go ballistic seeing maps using textures from other games.

ID does not bother at all. They don't even bother about Quake being shared on websites.

After all, if ID does think this is infringing their license, then they will/would tell you and you would simply need to stop. Nothing worse would happen.

PS: I know my map readme rant is kinda like this but actually it was in my very own interest as a mad and retarded Quake file collector.
2008-01-05, 01:13
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
both your rant and cheapalerts rants have actually lead to something good though, so im glad that people "like you" exist.
2008-01-05, 03:13
31 posts

Nov 2007
empezar wrote:
nquake actually checks for pak0.pak in the folder it is being installed into, i COULD add a pak0.pak check that does the same thing the pak1.pak check does.

I'll add that to my todo list.

i want it to be transparent though, since i think nquake already has too many "pages" in the installer...

How about this. Instead of asking for pak0.pak and pak1.pak specificly and seperately, the installer first checks for the existance of a few directories where the data files might be likely to be found before leaving it as an exercize to the end user to install, such as C:\Quake, c:\quake_sw, c:\program files\Quake, c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common files\quake, etc.

The installer then simply asks the user to supply the location of one directory with both pakfiles. If a possible location of shareware (lower priority, only if registered isnt found at all) or both pakfiles was found earlier, the directory is filled in by default. If no directory is specified, or if the directory only contains pak1.pak, shareware is downloaded. Hows that?

Also, please don't lump me in with cheapalert. I actually care about the future qw community and honestly don't want anyone to get in trouble with id. Cheapalert may have been correct about equake, but he was pointing it out because he likes to stroke his ego instead of actually caring about the possability of id software coming down on your project (in fact he probably would have wanted it to happen so he could laugh at the silly competitive quakers who know how to bunny hop and use high fov).
2008-01-05, 03:38
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
i was referring to spirit, with his map text file rant, which lead to me adding the text files to nquake. which i don't regret.
2008-01-27, 17:10
685 posts

Jul 2007
Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted already... but I got a question: where is the FFA maprotation file that comes with nquake? I don't know where to look... and: how can I edit it?

I'd like to practice specific maps you see... and although I can just type in the mapnames in the console, it would be nice to have my own maplist.
2008-02-01, 22:09
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
it's in ./qw/autoexec.cfg way down at the bottom
2008-02-09, 04:44
28 posts

Feb 2008
empezar.. client seems to be great.. I can't get enemy and teamskin to work tho'.. works great in standard ezquake.. but it just shows base skin all the time for everybody.. no colors either.
i did my setup from the menu and noskins are set to 2.

take care
http://www.myspace.com/cervello
2008-02-09, 09:54
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
works for me...

these are my settings (standard nquake except skins):
(edit)
2008-02-09, 14:53
28 posts

Feb 2008
yeah.. same as me.. that was what I was affraid of.. I deleted every skin setting in my config and tried to set it up again.. doesn't work, I just see the standard base on everyone.. very strange and frustrating
http://www.myspace.com/cervello
2008-02-18, 23:38
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
NSIS has added nsDialogs now (well, in december), this is basically what I have waited for since I started coding nQuake. I don't have time to code anything now though but during the summer, nQuake should see some major improvements.

I updated nQuake today to include ezQuake v1.8.3. I also did some other minor fixes (mostly missing readme files and structural changes). Not really satisfied, but it will do for now.
2008-03-02, 14:14
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
just for funsies i will start posting the top referrers to nquake.com each month.

this time i will post total, january and february stats:

total: 10,324 referred visitors
1. quakeworld.nu - 36%
3. esreality.com - 7.6%
2. qwdrama.com - 7.3%
4. quaket.net - 4.0%
5. fz.se - 2.4%

jan 08: 1660 referred visitors
1. quakeworld.nu - 21%
2. qwdrama.com - 11.5%
3. esreality.com - 7.0%
4. quake.cz - 3.6%
5. quaket.net - 3.1%

feb 08: 1165 referred visitors
1. quakeworld.nu - 24%
2. qwdrama.com - 9.4%
3. quaket.net - 5.1%
4. esreality.com - 4.2%
5. ezquake.sourceforge.net - 3.3%
wiki.ubuntu-it.org - 3.3%

the stats exclude visitors from my other websites (fquake), direct traffic and google traffic.
2008-03-14, 20:46
685 posts

Jul 2007
empezar wrote:
it's in ./qw/autoexec.cfg way down at the bottom

you mean the maporder "localinfo" stuff... well, I can change whatever I want but it will still load the original maplist....
2008-03-14, 21:28
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
ah

open frogbot.pak with pakexplorer or pakscape

go to configs folder, and open the config file for the mode you want to alter the map list for. you should find the same things there
2008-03-15, 00:18
685 posts

Jul 2007
empezar wrote:
ah

open frogbot.pak with pakexplorer or pakscape

go to configs folder, and open the config file for the mode you want to alter the map list for. you should find the same things there

That helped! Thanks for replying so soon.

I did found it weird that the same map sometimes gets loaded.... does that have anything to do with 'samelevel' command? After that command the map 'ztndm3' was given, which was the first in the ffa maplist. I prefer to just run my maplist without any random samelevel ratio...or whatever the story is
2008-03-15, 06:53
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
i think samelevel has nothing to do with map order
2008-03-20, 16:50
40 posts

Jun 2007
hi, everytime i try to download nquake off its own site, i am not able to installed it, a download error message comes up, whyt is that?
2008-03-20, 20:03
705 posts

Feb 2006
what is the full error? please paste it here or screenshot it
2008-03-21, 21:45
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
if the download error is while trying to download the installer itself (from the website), the problem lies with sf.net, you should try another mirror.

if the problem occurs during the installation, try different mirrors during in the installer, there's like 6 of them.
2008-04-29, 13:59
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
nQuake was updated yesterday with ezQuake v1.9, so all mirrors should be up to date now.
2008-04-29, 17:19
685 posts

Jul 2007
empezar wrote:
nQuake was updated yesterday with ezQuake v1.9, so all mirrors should be up to date now.

Well, it's still Ezquake 1.8.2. for me! I've downloaded the installer from Amsterdam mirror, and then installed the files through the Paris France server.
2008-04-30, 05:23
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
you are correct, quakeonline.net and sajberhagen mirrors no longer update for some reason. they have been removed as mirrors until (if) they get fixed.
  870 posts on 29 pages  First page11121314151617181920Last page