User panel stuff on forum
  46 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
General Discussion
2007-05-10, 17:47
3 posts

Apr 2007
C'mon people don't be so fussy. The English was quite good, Xerial had a nice pronunciation and Sassa also tried his best, we (non-English speakers) all know how is difficult to talk in a fluent English but ehy.. it is the content that matters and they did their job, they made their commentary understandable.
About a native English speaker.. we haven't much to discuss here, it's obvious that he would be better.
2007-05-10, 17:50
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Sassa, it was not meant in a bad way at all. I like your commentary. It's just that it sometimes is obvious that you don't find the right words (just as it would happen to me, apart from my complete stupidity when it comes to qw).
A native speaker > non-native speaker. And non-native speaker > bad and stupid speaker. You are a very good non-native speaker, but a native would be even better. That is not meant as critizising you but as trying to make the whole thing even better.

edit: And I am very happy you do it!
2007-05-10, 17:54
1 post

May 2007
Hi all =)

Since i don't have qw up and running on my computer, I followed the winamp stream. I didn't know it was possible to stream qw in this way =)

The resolution was really low and it was really hard to understand what was happening. The text was to small and blured so it was hard to see any names...and since all players (team/enemy) had the same color/skin it was kinda impossible to understand anything at all. Even tho i've played this game for a fair amount of hours it was hard to follow gameplay. The thing that made it bareable was the commentary, it was really awesome. I actually followed the the two last maps just by listening to Xerial/Sassa commentary and i enjoyed it a lot. I've heard that the .fi-stream was a lot better and that cheers me up a little, since it had way more viewers (or will have?).

All in all it seems like a excellent event with alot of viewers! The tv-exposure is really awesome for qw's future. A really big up to the NQR-crew and other ppl that made this happen, good job!

Anyway, i have a few opinions on things that could be improved for the next event:

The settings in the spec-cam client is very important. Since we are watching a game, not a highlight video with only frags, anything that helps to understand the teamplay is a help i think.

Fov ~115
Show all team-messages
Show all kills
Fullbright skins.
Team/Enemy skins.
Show all weapons
Gameclock with seconds
I would also go for a special enemy-with-pent, quad or both skin.

Since the stream prolly has kinda low resolution i would remove a lot of eye-candy to keep it clean. Its way more important to see what/where/when someone is shooting rockets, then to watch nice eye-candy explosions. I would also go with one-color textures on weapons and some other stuff.

As a few posters before me pointed out, i think a manual cam is better then autotrack for both noobs and div0 players. And the commentators should be the ones changing the pov of course. Even tho quad-cam is fun to watch, sometimes you wanna follow some 100h/rl-guy sneaking around at dm3-sng trying to take over RA. Show some more aspects of the game...

As for the commentary, it was really good as i said before. Ive heard Xerial/Sassa before and they do a really good job. Personally i don't think the audience needs commentary like ”xxx took rl” since we all are watching the same stream. I rather listen to the commentators(like Xerial did) own thoughts of the game. Talk about the options a player has in a certain situation, describe why he made certain choices and judge them! Since the current time/seconds plays a big part in the teamplay its also a good idea to remind the viewers of the seconds from now and then like Sassa did.

...that was just some thoughts and my first post to this forum =) looking forward to next event!

Kram / manu
2007-05-10, 18:55
355 posts

Jun 2006
d00med wrote:
About a native English speaker.. we haven't much to discuss here, it's obvious that he would be better.

That's my entire point. I never said the commentary was bad but it would be better with a native English speaker

Spirit wrote:
Sassa, it was not meant in a bad way at all. I like your commentary. It's just that it sometimes is obvious that you don't find the right words (just as it would happen to me, apart from my complete stupidity when it comes to qw).
A native speaker > non-native speaker. And non-native speaker > bad and stupid speaker. You are a very good non-native speaker, but a native would be even better. That is not meant as critizising you but as trying to make the whole thing even better.

edit: And I am very happy you do it!

Agree wholeheartedly.
2007-05-10, 20:51
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
manu wrote:
Show all team-messages
Show all kills

I'm kinda split up on these two points as i think the low resolution makes it impossible to read and comprehend what is being reported and who is being killed anyway. The low resolution is also necessary as higher resolution requires more bandwidth and i'd rather see more people being able to watch a basic stream (like the one we had, but improved in the other ways you mentioned) than having 10 people being able to watch a stream with the same quality as if you'd play the actual game. On that particular stream (Own3d.at) 150 people tuned in and assuming (hoping) a majority of those were either Quakeworlders who didn't got access to QW at the time, or completely new players, it's a very nice way to spread the word imo.

It sucks a bit though without the team and kill messages in 4on4 as new players might not know what players are basing their decisions on. Maybe it seems like they're just running around in one massive FFA game?
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-05-10, 21:53
1754 posts

Jan 2006
I was saying my opinion, take it or leave it
2007-05-11, 01:17
198 posts

Oct 2006
hmm, just wanted to say i agree with manu 100%. cheers
2007-05-11, 08:26
247 posts

Jan 2006
can someone share some information with me, about how big bandwith do we need for one spectator, streaming game through winamp in, say, 400x300 or 640x480/320x200, and stuff like that?
2007-05-11, 21:02
226 posts

Mar 2007
You could use qizmo-colored skins, or players could put skins (i.e. fix could use "skin 1238972193871" where the skin's name would be handed by NQR admin to avoid exploits)
2007-05-12, 08:14
79 posts

Jan 2006
sassa wrote:
what can we do better?

what was wrong?

later:

sassa wrote:
yes, u cant give me negative critic, I cant handle it!!

B>
zaiko of BaconMen
2007-05-12, 16:32
1 post

Oct 2006
goqsane wrote:
what personally annoyed me was how sassa always said "THE", dude, if the is followed by a word beginning with a consonant it's /Ă°e/ (like "DE" in Swedish or something) and if the next word begins with a vowel it's /Ă°i:/ (like German "die", seriously, I don't know why, but I got so annoyed

and Sassa you still say "rock gonna take rl" instead fo "rock's gonna take rl", it's not me being a cock here, just that some people may think an uneducated brat's doing a live coverage

man ,you seem to have a lot of negative energy.
-do like sassa ,among others ,and focuse on your positive and do something constructive.
2007-05-12, 17:36
1026 posts

Feb 2006
i watched the dm2 match again (recorded from the stream with commentary)
it was.. insane! especially when sassa was like "it's over! it's over!"
i'm glad i witnessed such a rare thing live (although overtime would've been a little more nice)
god damn hippies >_<
2007-05-15, 15:33
News Writer
280 posts

May 2006
Where is direct link?
Not button "Download" at web.
Need direct http/ftp, plz.
2007-05-18, 14:08
1026 posts

Feb 2006
the .fi televised footage pls
god damn hippies >_<
2007-05-23, 13:32
News Writer
280 posts

May 2006
Upload it to blueyonder, plz.
2007-05-23, 13:51
26 posts

Jan 2006
I think the commentators did great once again.

One minor thing to note would be the way sassa says "rock launcher" instead of "rocket launcher"
makes me think of
http://www.thortrains.net/armymen/2knight5a.jpg
instead of
http://www.challenge-smackdown.com/qwguide/gfx/items/rl.png
  46 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page