News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
what can we do better?

what was wrong?
2007-05-09, 21:30
198 posts

Oct 2006
could be better: bound speccing to keys instead of autotrack, which can be quite unfriendly to new quakers
team color problems
since the stream was for tv, some explanation before each map, and maybe some info about QW specifics (in contrary to, lets say q3 tdm)

just ideas.
2007-05-09, 21:33
5 posts

Apr 2007
What are we discussing here? The gametv.fi online streaming or the private winamp (Defcon) streaming?

Let's keep those seperated.
2007-05-09, 21:34
News Writer
283 posts

Jan 2007
More aftergame talk! Interviews and stuff, or just general chit chat... I was left with my mouth literally agape and wanting more info / opinion / reaction etc.
2007-05-09, 21:34
80 posts

Mar 2007
Faustov wrote:
could be better: bound speccing to keys instead of autotrack, which can be quite unfriendly to new quakers
team color problems
since the stream was for tv, some explanation before each map, and maybe some info about QW specifics (in contrary to, lets say q3 tdm)

just ideas.

You're getting confused here: The stream where sassa and xeri did the commentating didn't go on tv. The finnish stream will be broadcasted on finnish digital tv later (I haven't been given any specific date). If you want to see the finnish coverage, it will be up on the game-tv (http://gametv.fi/news.php) site within a couple of weeks. When it comes I will be (hopefully if everything works out) doing subtitles in english for it.
--
Bucketrevolution!
2007-05-09, 21:42
1100 posts

Jan 2006
-
>team colors
>quake 1 sounds
>use the good old playermodel (i think it was that new one that just looks weird imo)
>turn off chatsounds (dunno if it was the stream or the commentators)
>make the spectated player's name and teamname bigger. just use all the space up there (make the teams use normal names, not that .......stuff..... for that). it would make it much easier to follow the action.
>maybe also make the killmsgs bigger

+
>Xerial did an outstanding job on commenting. It was not just some "now this is happening and now that" but thought-through, well informed commentary. Very nice!
>original textures
>good functional effects/particles

overall it was a pleasure watching it! Wow!
2007-05-09, 21:44
80 posts

Mar 2007
Spirit wrote:
>Xerial did an outstanding job on commenting. It was not just some "now this is happening and now that" but thought-through, well informed commentary. Very nice! Overall it was a pleasure watching it! Wow!

I totally agree on that one. Hopefully he will be willing to do more qw related stuff!
--
Bucketrevolution!
2007-05-09, 21:50
3 posts

Apr 2007
I think that the main problem was the team color: the same on both sides made difficult to understand who was fragging who ( I had to read the nicks quickly).
Besides this, it was a cool streaming, very good english speaking, keep up the good work
2007-05-09, 21:51
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Both Xerial and Sassa were good in my opinion. Felt really nice having someone leading you through all the action. I didn't watch the Own3d.at (defcon5) stream much more than like 20 seconds all in all but it looked good to me besides the skin issue. I think we should be proud of this event, but not settle with it or whatever. Let's try to make this kind of thing standard in Quakeworld. The finnish TV thingie might be a bit over the top for every div1 game, but the streams should be there i think as they can attract new players really.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-05-09, 21:57
192 posts

Mar 2006
Hi all!

Ive read all you comments, and I fully agree with everything.
What we want to change for the next Stream:
Original Quake 1 Sounds
Teamskins ( big sorry, really, but I sat the full whole day and optimizing the config. At the end I really was so exhausted that I was blind for that thing )
Iam not sure if the original Teamskin looks better. I really like the 24-bit Skins Primevil made.
The stuff with Deathmsgs and Tracking Info is not that ez. Therefore I have to talk with the ezQUake Devs. They must add this feature to scale Death msgs and Tracking Info. They did add that I can scales the Scores, which was really helpful.
And the chatsound will be turned off for sure.

Whats the command for disable the chat sounds ?
2007-05-09, 22:07
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Defcon 5 wrote:
Whats the command for disable the chat sounds ?

Maybe s_mm1_volume and s_mm2_volume?
2007-05-09, 22:42
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I just remembered a thing about the own3d.at stream. Apparently the configuration was setup so if a player had _ALL_ weapons, only GL RL LG would show up on the HUD. That the weapon in orange colour was the weapon that was currently in use was fairly intuitive, but having only those three weapons show up in the HUD was not. I think you should include all weapons there next time. I had a question about this from a person who usually don't play QW, that's why i'm pointing it out.
2007-05-09, 22:42
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
I heard that the teamspeak audio and the live video feed was abit outsynced (3 sec) in the winamp stream!

I wanna do a big chitchat before/after the game with some interviews aswell as we have done before but not many players from the games wanna participate in interviews.
something that they should think about for the next time?

ps. sry that I missed recording the audio from the teamspeak!
2007-05-09, 23:12
198 posts

Oct 2006
Oi, seems everyone just acknowledged or missed my point about not-using-autotrack. I just learned that manulito does pretty nice manual tracking - maybe consider hiring him for the next grande event? I think it would bring a lot quality into the broadcast. Autotrack is for hardcore qwers, not new people, who tend to get very confused, especially when the pov is changing quite rapidly.
2007-05-09, 23:18
355 posts

Jun 2006
What was the size of the audience on GameTV? I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm curious.
2007-05-10, 05:02
637 posts

Jan 2006
what personally annoyed me was how sassa always said "THE", dude, if the is followed by a word beginning with a consonant it's /ðe/ (like "DE" in Swedish or something) and if the next word begins with a vowel it's /ði:/ (like German "die", seriously, I don't know why, but I got so annoyed

generally I liked Xerial's commentary a lot

and Sassa you still say "rock gonna take rl" instead fo "rock's gonna take rl", it's not me being a cock here, just that some people may think an uneducated brat's doing a live coverage
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-05-10, 07:04
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Yes, Sassa of course commented well too, but the language problems spoil a lot of it.
The tracking was very nice in my opinion, I am not sure I understand Faustov. 8)

About the 3 sec lag of the audio, maybe just lag the video too next time. 3 seconds should be ok for still being "live".
I recorded the stream btw, could upload the mp3 of the audio later on.
2007-05-10, 10:25
1100 posts

Jan 2006
http://shub-hub.quaddicted.com/files/misc/NQR10_finals_dag_vs_cmfdm2.mp3
2007-05-10, 10:34
192 posts

Mar 2006
You can now watch the stream of the stream or download it @
own3d.at CMF vs Dag NQR Stream

enjoy!!

Edit: Another thing is: Everyone should see the same Action, because the problem is, if commentary see another Action as the Stream or the Qizmo Cams, noone has a clue whats going on. So I fear Autotrack is the only solution.
Another things is I actived fakeshaft in my cfg but as you can see in the Stream its not. Whys that ?
2007-05-10, 10:46
80 posts

Mar 2007
goqsane wrote:
and Sassa you still say "rock gonna take rl" instead fo "rock's gonna take rl", it's not me being a cock here, just that some people may think an uneducated brat's doing a live coverage

..the best guy to criticise other peoples english :eng101:
--
Bucketrevolution!
2007-05-10, 11:06
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Defcon 5 wrote:
Edit: Another thing is: Everyone should see the same Action, because the problem is, if commentary see another Action as the Stream or the Qizmo Cams, noone has a clue whats going on. So I fear Autotrack is the only solution.
Another things is I actived fakeshaft in my cfg but as you can see in the Stream its not. Whys that ?

A solution would be either stream/commentary to be spectating while connected to a Qizmo and then having the other one spectating through that Qizmo. Would make the most sense to let the commentators decide what action to view i guess.
2007-05-10, 11:54
198 posts

Oct 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
Defcon 5 wrote:
(...)So I fear Autotrack is the only solution.(...)

A solution would be either stream/commentary to be spectating while connected to a Qizmo and then having the other one spectating through that Qizmo. Would make the most sense to let the commentators decide what action to view i guess.

Agreed, but how to make each cam spectate the same shit? If it cant be done, then just focus on the stream that gonna be shown in TV, and where you're gonna make live coverage downloadable from somewhere. In short: one official cam with no autotrack and everything top, the rest - either with separate commentary or some other idea to follow the "official" cam? need ideas.
2007-05-10, 12:00
47 posts

Feb 2007
I wounldnt mind a more tactical input to the commentary, like how both teams have progressed throught the competion, their strong and weak points, how will they overcome certain tactics, how will they win back a map from lock etc. Any maybe before the game running through the team lineups and giving the listeners abit of insight into the players eg their history, their style of play. also who are the quad runners and who are the holders in the teams. player to watch out for. just a thought!

other than that the lads did a great job on what was a great game.
2007-05-10, 12:16
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Yes more newbfriendly talk, no shortening red armour to ra or rocketlauncher to rl... you might get it but I think most people would get confused :/
And Xerial was sort of low imo.. there was a lot of sassa where goqsane has explained his problems already.
Otherwise I was satisifed with the stream, and the troopers-cam <3
2007-05-10, 13:18
39 posts

Jan 2006
Great ideas so far!

I think the old statusbar (gl lg rl thing) and bigger crosshair would be nice, could barely see the crosshair.
Xerial is brilliant, force him to keep doing this.
2007-05-10, 13:20
80 posts

Mar 2007
Peppe wrote:
Yes more newbfriendly talk, no shortening red armour to ra or rocketlauncher to rl... you might get it but I think most people would get confused :/
And Xerial was sort of low imo.. there was a lot of sassa where goqsane has explained his problems already.
Otherwise I was satisifed with the stream, and the troopers-cam <3

I do agree that you might want to do stuff like show the maps before the match and explain the basic idea behind TDM. If you mention that RL means rocket launcher and LG means lightning gun theres shouldn't be too much confusion.

Of course this suggestion is just for the bigger games where you can actually expect to see non-qwers watching the game and listening to the shoutcasting.
--
Bucketrevolution!
2007-05-10, 17:05
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
now cocksane, u can comment if u wanna, so goes for peppe or spirit!

get some1 that wanna commentate and Ill step down and watch and listen instead! thats what I WANNA DO!

dont talk shit, just do it, wanna do the commentating for the next game? step up and do it OMFG!

yes, u cant give me negative critic, I cant handle it!!
2007-05-10, 17:17
1754 posts

Jan 2006
ehm, dude I'll be glad to.. but I don't know shit about lineups, players, maps, tactics etc.
but if that's not a problem then sure I could
2007-05-10, 17:17
355 posts

Jun 2006
sassa wrote:
yes, u cant give me negative critic, I cant handle it!!

Weakling

But anyways, I think a native English speaker should do the commentary. I watched the stream for only a few minutes and it is annoying when you hear a lot of filler phrases such as umm, like, etc. Those are completely understandable since English isn't your first language and you have to think about what you're going to say, and the supply of native English-speaking players with high-enough knowledge isn't that high Of course I hate to criticize but let's consider that stream yesterday the first public beta

Hud needs some work. Get more gun hud items up and change r_tracker_Streaks to 0. About the chat beeps, can't you just put a mute beep sound in your qw\sounds folder (might be a different folder or isn't there a cvar for this)? Those were really annoying since con_notifylines was at 0.

I am a native English speaker but I have only played three 4on4s in my entire QW career, so I lack a lot of knowledge (in fact, I didn't really start playing until January) and doubt I can commentate.
2007-05-10, 17:29
1026 posts

Feb 2006
i liked sassa's commentary overall. stop being so picky
god damn hippies >_<
  46 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page