User panel stuff on forum
  37 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
General Discussion
2007-04-25, 08:42
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
...and why would i want to have this if all the newbies are going to play another game than i am anyway? If you say all weapons but RL are completely useless, then you should put more thought behind your game, use them for sneak attacks in narrow corridors etc! In combination with Quad, the other weapons get quite much play time anyway. Another thing is that most newbies aren't skilled enough to try out 4on4 yet i guess (which is where the super-tiered weapon system QW has shows off its superiority).

Edit
And, not to be rude or anything, but considering that the standard maps have been around and considered the standard for 11 years, a change of game settings isn't very likely to happen. Now it feels like i'm only bashing your ideas and stuff here. While i may not like them, i sure like the discussion though so keep going.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-04-25, 08:43
51 posts

Apr 2007
For teamgames i realy like the standard settings, its whats quake is all about =)
My name is Salt.
I am a rookie.
Join the jollen servers!!
#qwrookie
2007-04-25, 09:17
51 posts

Apr 2007
I used to play alot of 4on4 back in the days with die, but 1 guy with sng one guy with ng and one with ssg makes a combind attack on 2 rls can gain good packs =)
My name is Salt.
I am a rookie.
Join the jollen servers!!
#qwrookie
2007-04-25, 11:01
715 posts

May 2006
NeFuRii:

I agree with most of what you say (not sure about point 3 though), but you will not even get in a faster-nails modification or a fallbunny-always-on without there being the worlds largest cackle-house of chickens (mostly coming from div1-players, which is kind of paradoxal since fallbunny-always-on was an original setting at first). Anyway some of the things you mention is adapted in jawnmode (/jawnmode in ktx and jteams), and it's fun to play with from time to time: http://vb.besmella-quake.com/quake/jawnmode.txt
The tweaks are quite "small" (relatively) and I do think they are an improvement to gameplay and not a change of gameplay, like faster nails, non-random shots, fallbunny, disabled spawn-telefragging, fairpacks, and so on. It's bad enough that people have such a hard time trying out new maps, but this will probably be the core of conservatism in the game and thus the hardest motherfucker to change
I'm supporting it though, hope to see some discussion about this.
I really hope...
---Where can you see lions? Only in kenya! Come to kenya we've got lions.
2007-04-25, 12:12
485 posts

Feb 2006
I think lot of newbies think that maps are dominated by taking RLs, not realizing the importance of armors.
2007-04-25, 12:50
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
That's because gameplay changes aren't needed Molgrum; all weapons shouldn't be as good. If the subject would be purely 1on1 though, then i can see the flaws in the weapon system. In 4on4 however, it's the best there is. Just look at Q3's gameplay with "balanced" weapons - it all turns into a flood game where everyone can kill everyone with all weapons.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-04-25, 13:30
1026 posts

Feb 2006
NeFuRii: get latest KTX and type /jawnmode

here's a drescription of this game mode:
http://quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=18758#p18758

r0x!

/end of thread
god damn hippies >_<
2007-04-25, 15:58
715 posts

May 2006
Ake_Vader:

I think you're missing a point here, I'm not talking about making the weapons evenly balanced, in which case you would get the flooding you're talking about, but rather to enhance the usability of them (faster nails would make SNG be more usable on DM3 for example) and decreasing the luck-factor (randomness in shooting).
Now these are just suggestions and playing around with ideas since I'm not very experienced in 4on4, but my guess would be that this doesn't effect the game negatively into more of a spamfest than it already is, rather it would increase the usability of the weapons and make room for more uses with these weapons (for example you almost never see anyone use NG, what a waste of weapon space don't you think?).
I agree that QW is great and has a superior gameplay in that the weapons are not equally balanced, and this should never be changed, but I still think improvements can be made without changing the core gameplay.
2007-04-25, 17:27
1754 posts

Jan 2006
really, rail is not an answer! :/
I'd like more dmg on sg but that would not be so fair against 100 hp spawns.. :/
maybe better sng/ng would be fun
orange mod machine-gun ftw
2007-04-25, 18:37
1026 posts

Feb 2006
stop whining, play /jawnmode
god damn hippies >_<
2007-04-25, 19:12
715 posts

May 2006
Aquashark: The new signature perhaps?
2007-04-27, 17:25
4 posts

Feb 2007
I still miss the instagib and railgun.. It was fun. So I support this as a MOD.
2007-04-28, 19:48
401 posts

Mar 2006
Awful idea. A game of Quakeworld should always be like a S/M movie. You're either fucking someone or you're getting fucked. Don't change my quake biatches
2007-04-28, 22:08
123 posts

Mar 2006
QW has too much history and is too old for such drastic, and large changes. If you want to play a more "balanced" game try CPM or something.
2007-05-03, 16:35
252 posts

Dec 2006
I think it's almost unanimous that this would not improve anything, but I grant that these changes (which I gather are in jawnmode.?) would make the game less frustrating for newbs. So why not play Jawnmode?
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2007-05-03, 17:10
226 posts

Mar 2007
i don't really get why people gre getting so upset with this post.

"my proposal would be, for KTX guys to add some new variables, allowing switching between standard play and changed play"

can't you guys read?

I bet you were so anti midair,dmm4, dmm5, no_lg...

This is soo funny.
2007-05-03, 18:00
1754 posts

Jan 2006
dmm5 rocks :>
2007-05-03, 18:15
52 posts

Oct 2006
IMO SNG is good weapon already, but you must know how to use it. NG is useless piece of s*** but in close combat it's still more useful than axe. And please, don't even think about railgun, that type of weapon ruined too many games. Go play UT ctf on Face, and you will understand why so many players hate "100 damage per shot instant hit weapons".

In other hand, i can't understand why fallbunny is off, QW is all about speed, and things like fb off, lack of doublejump, stairs when you are unable to jump upwards them, etc. slows game down.
2007-05-04, 10:16
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Word Kasjer! I say put fallbunny ON at ALL times or just remove that shit!
And start using stairjumps on! on every server! it is so much more fun than just running up all stairs at ex. dm6 dm2 and ztndm3..
2007-05-04, 10:34
637 posts

Jan 2006
stair double jumps were what I really missed when I first began playing QW. Sadly enough the hack-ish way to enable them makes them a lot more lame than in Q2, I think the client AND server has to be changed to make them feel like in Q2. QC changes make it shitty
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-05-04, 12:33
1754 posts

Jan 2006
like in q2? those weren't as great as in cpma imo :>
but I still think the "hack-ish" jumps are better than none
2007-05-04, 12:35
637 posts

Jan 2006
cpma had more of a flat approach to it :|

anyway, no I'd rather have nothing than those QC hacks to implement stairjumps
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-05-04, 12:51
1754 posts

Jan 2006
haha, hacks.. :>
2007-05-04, 14:01
715 posts

May 2006
Use /airstep in the latest CVS KTX to try it out, or you can set it manually in MVDSV or FTESV with "pm_airstep 1".
2007-05-21, 23:02
245 posts

Jan 2006
Looks like a really nice idea. Anyway That wouldn't be quake, perhaps you should release something based on quake instead. Building a new shooter game, or perhaps a new version of cs based on the quakeworld clients would be a really smart idea (And see if it's actual gets better then what it is to Half-Life (Which is based on quake) Changing the weapon balance is a to big impact to game, Quake is about RL, GL is a very good once you get used to it.
2007-05-22, 16:55
97 posts

Jan 2006
rail wtf?
2007-05-23, 01:28
25 posts

May 2007
I can imagine tweaking weapons would create a different game play.
Shot guns for more damage.
Nail guns faster.
Rocket Launchers higher splash damage but a lot slower firing rate.
Grenades, lot less firing rate.
Lightning -> Freezes other player -> high ammo usage.

I can imagine people then walking round, and taking time alot more slowly! Using nades to pop round corners. and Pump rockets down long corridors, Whilst having the shotgun to tear one guy down and the nail gun to take on a bunch of guys.

No offence but I can't see people playing that, other than new players.
Quake has always been about grabbing armors, pumping nades and pwning people with LG and RL. If you're lucky you make just boomstick someone. ;X
2007-05-23, 11:55
25 posts

May 2007
If that's the case I don't believe they need changing.
SG and SNG aren't for fragging, they're for wounding. Unless of course you have QD. Then boosting those smaller guns would be insane XD.

But erm, gimmie my rail gun. I suck with LG XD
2007-05-23, 16:59
715 posts

May 2006
Try wounding with the nailguns at their current speed in any situation out of water and not on e1m2
2007-05-23, 20:43
52 posts

Oct 2006
SG is start weapon, you shouldn't be able to kill someone with it easily. And you're able to do some serious damage with SNG, but you must predict your opponent moves and never aim directly at him. SNG is similar to Q3 plasma gun, the only difference is that sng didn't have splash damage.
  37 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page