User panel stuff on forum
  11 posts on 1 page  1
Quakeworld Kenya Collective
2007-04-24, 18:29
74 posts

Mar 2007
As fun as King of Tuesday Kenya is, there are some things that could be done to attract more players.
Particularly people from the IRC channel #qwrookie should be encouraged to join.

I would suggest a 2on2 tournament where the strong players are seeded and matched up with a random rookie.
Over time the teams may somewhat less random, but the main point is that rookies should be able to join some
kind of tournament without having to wade through a lot of matches before playing someone remotely even in skill.
In a duel tournament the loosing part holds true for every rookie. For instance it's been a extraordinarily good KTK
if I'm able to win two matches out of seven played.
Some may say that winning isn't everything, and they'd be right, but its a sad state of affairs when loosing is everything..

I think there are several rookies who'd like to join this kind of 2on2 tournament. They may not join KTK because
of the Kenya maps, or because think they will loose almost every match. Hopefully some of the rookies out there will be reading this.
If so, please reply to this post with your thoughts on the matter, or tell me why you don't want to join any kind of tournament.
2007-04-24, 19:01
97 posts

Jan 2006
rookies
2007-04-24, 19:09
80 posts

Mar 2007
I agree with you..mostly. But the main reason I haven't joined the tournament has been that kenya maps suck most of the time and this weeks map was no exception.

The kenya 2on2 tournament, well that sounds like a lot more fun. Maybe 2 pools of players (high / mid and low) and a team would consist of one player from the high / mid pool and one from the low pool.
--
Bucketrevolution!
2007-04-24, 19:24
74 posts

Mar 2007
The two pools of players is what I meant by my seeding scheme in the original post. The maps that will be
played in a 2on2 tournament are obviously open for discussion.
Such a 2on2 tournament will rely just as much on the stronger players as i does on the rookies. But I suspect that if we
can get the rookies to join, the veterans will follow.
2007-04-24, 19:42
122 posts

Jan 2007
To tell the truth I'm against 2on2 tournaments. Especially the "random" teamplay -- the only high-div player will play the map as if it was duel killing other team and owning a map. I'm pretty sure that only one good player in a team will decide who will win the game.
--
"Dag eats little Reloads for breakfast." (c) :-)
2007-04-24, 19:54
33 posts

Mar 2006
i think ztndm6 was great. gg thank u sassa.
2007-04-24, 22:20
74 posts

Mar 2007
Another option to the 2on2 tournament would of course be a separate KTK class for rookies.
2007-04-24, 23:13
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
KTK6-3EBLUEBETA will have a rookie section @
http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=20443
2007-04-25, 07:08
569 posts

Feb 2006
2on2 with div1+div5 vs div2+div4 etc..

these games tend to suck. For everyone involved. Should rather split the tournament into A/B gold/silver whatever.
2007-04-25, 11:37
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
Willgurht wrote:
2on2 with div1+div5 vs div2+div4 etc..

these games tend to suck. For everyone involved. Should rather split the tournament into A/B gold/silver whatever.

no body said that except for you!

If I do this, then I will just split the players in 2 piles and randomly put them together.

seeded player + non seeded = a team
2007-04-25, 13:07
74 posts

Mar 2007
sassa wrote:
seeded player + non seeded = a team

Which is precisely the point. When you're playing in teams you benefint more from actual teamplay than
you do if one strong player runs around and plays the game like a duel.
Its a lot harder to frag two players at once than it is fragging them one on one.

In any case the point of such a tournament isn't about having killer teams, it's about playing for fun.
And when us rookies have a better player to show us the ropes in team tactics and such, the game is that
much more enjoyable. Maybe the rookies are the ones who benefit from this arrangement, but I believe
that veteran players appreciate new players in the community. This is one way of helping the rookies become
more a part of the community.

Let us first see how it works out to have separate groups for rookies in the KTK. If we struggle to get enough
rookies to sign up, a 2on2 tournament should be a reasonable alternative. I know I would enjoy such a
tournament at least as much as I enjoy KTK as it is today.
  11 posts on 1 page  1