User panel stuff on forum
  13 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2007-04-12, 20:03
55 posts

Jul 2006
I just feel like commenting on the ongoing discussion regarding the future of QW (Quake1 in general):

I probably don't know most of you, but I was very active years ago. I started playing Quake1 online from late December 1996/January 1997, even before Quakenet was created by NBI-Garfield and another guy, and played in such Danish clans as TGM (The Green Machine), NBI (Nasty Beasts Inc), WI (Whiners Inc), CN (Chopstick Ninjas) and TUD (The Ugly Ducklings). Around 1998 or so, I was part of the TGM HPW team and we were ranked #1 on AFITD (A Frag in the Darkness) for about three straight months.

Personally, I have never given up the game but as you grow older your priorities change. I was swept away by Quake (ie. the REAL Quake - not rotten Quake 2 and 3. I haven't even bothered checking out Quake 4 as there can be only one), and I started playing online shortly before my 18th birthday. I am now 28 years old. I played competitively until early 2000, and my work, girlfriends and such took over. Although I was never gone from Quakenet (I administer #quake.dk), I had little time to play. From time to time I played a bit, and also NQ/RQ which I still find amusing and nostalgic.

The discussion regarding QW/Quake1's future has been going on for a long time, but I can see a long-lasting problem is still alive and kicking; stubbornness when it comes to maps. Why only play the same maps over and over - like DM2, DM3, DM4, DM6 and perhaps E1M2? Quake1 is so much more, and personally I once tried to deal with it. Once, I administered the get2net-servers and had a monthly arrangement called EQ (Enjoy Quake). And that was what it was all about; enjoy the damn game. People could sign up for the sundays event, and typically 30 or so players would show up. So I put up Death32c on two servers, and 15 players would FFA on each server and the loosers bracket and winners bracket would meet. We always had a nice and fun sunday afternoon.

There are 38 ID-maps including ExMx, DMx, Start and End. Why limit the game to the same 5-6 maps? I know many of the ID-maps are not suitable for 4on4's but lots of them are still loads of fun for 1on1 and 2on2. Many players, atleast some 6-7 years ago, had never even played single player. What's that all about?
I believe the whole Kenya discussion is about the acceptance of custom maps in tournaments? Why is that even a discussion? With all the fear of QW dying and yet still want to attract new players to QW, you have to "feed" the game to keep it alive and fresh. Custom maps - go for it. Back then with EQ, I spend alot of time searching the net for various fun maps for the get2net FFA-server and installed various crazy maps with fun architecture. I'm just trying to say, that you shouldn't make it all routine. Have a little fun as well. There's nothing wrong with having to learn a new map. And besides, I bet newcomers would have alot more fun playing a rather new map so they would be somewhat equals rather than destined for an ass-whooping.

But some things have a improved. Quakeworld.nu for example. Great site as the community has become more centralized now. And the fQuake-setup is brilliant. With help from ParadokS my old PC is now ready for some QW again. It's only a P3-800 MHz with an old Gefore DDR 32MB and other stoneage hardware from the year 2000, not to mention my Logitech Mouseman 97 PS2-mouse . It will be hard to face you all with your elite 500Hz mice and stuff .
And I'm very glad to see it's possible to disable the lame bunny-scripts and whatnot. That was just silly.

I have joined CN again who is located in the EQL division 4, so maybe I'll see you out there?
2007-04-12, 20:21
1732 posts

Jan 2007
Kemo.
For all the times you brutally fragged me in NQ, I better not see you around in QW.
Have fun playing Kemo. I know you can do it, I trained you well. *coughs*
*** www.signedcmn.nl ***
2007-04-12, 20:24
55 posts

Jul 2006
BuurVrouw wrote:
Kemo.
For all the times you brutally fragged me in NQ, I better not see you around in QW.
Have fun playing Kemo. I know you can do it, I trained you well. *coughs*

Buur!

You know you like it .
2007-04-12, 20:36
1732 posts

Jan 2007
I guess I do.
After over 10 years non-stop daily playing Quake and still getting fragged my bits off....
Aw. Hahahahhah.
*** www.signedcmn.nl ***
2007-04-12, 22:39
News Writer
254 posts

Mar 2006
Nice post Kemo. Welcome back to the game
I ain't got no time for this jibber jabber fool
2007-04-13, 00:35
705 posts

Feb 2006
what pleurax said
2007-04-13, 06:16
569 posts

Feb 2006
Kemo wrote:
I spend alot of time searching the net for various fun maps for the get2net FFA-server and installed various crazy maps with fun architecture. I'm just trying to say, that you shouldn't make it all routine. Have a little fun as well. There's nothing wrong with having to learn a new map. And besides, I bet newcomers would have alot more fun playing a rather new map so they would be somewhat equals rather than destined for an ass-whooping.

get2net qizmo+servers ever coming back? This qizmo used to be very good.
2007-04-13, 11:56
247 posts

Jan 2006
I 2nd that - even poles had good pings through get2net qizmo to other servers (60ms in EU for Poles at that time was GODLIKE).

anyway - welcome back \o/
2007-04-13, 13:02
55 posts

Jul 2006
Thank you all for the welcome.

Regarding the get2net servers; a guy called Eagle handled the physical part, as he had them set up on his place of work. I handled the daily administration from home with rcon and a Quake server-tool. He don't work there anymore I'm afraid, and as far as I know, the company discontinued all their other gaming servers as well .
2007-04-13, 18:37
637 posts

Jan 2006
Buur

how about me fragging you?
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-04-13, 19:14
1732 posts

Jan 2007
Goqsane what is this sick urge of you for wanting to kill me so badly?
Haven't seen you on the servers for long time goq. Are you using a different name?
*** www.signedcmn.nl ***
2007-04-13, 20:13
637 posts

Jan 2006
no I'm just not around anymore pretty much, I've played some games before and I finally found QW enjoyable again, so I might be back, I will never change my nick just so you know
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-04-13, 20:57
1732 posts

Jan 2007
Oki Goqs, then we will probably meet again one day at some server.
*** www.signedcmn.nl ***
  13 posts on 1 page  1