what if you don't have any friends?
2007-03-19, 19:59
135 posts

Jan 2006
then you put ur photo on fotka.pl and you got 10 friends per day
2007-03-19, 23:28
1435 posts

Jan 2006
It surprises me that you so much focus on IRC. I thought IRC is rather something oldschool that younger people don't use. That's why I think we are rather missing some community website. But maybe I'm wrong, just an idea.
2007-03-20, 04:31
405 posts

Jan 2006
u are wrong :]
<3
2007-03-20, 06:11
News Writer
493 posts

Jan 2006
q-q-qshka!!!
=)
2007-03-20, 16:57
News Writer
254 posts

Mar 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
It surprises me that you so much focus on IRC. I thought IRC is rather something oldschool that younger people don't use. That's why I think we are rather missing some community website. But maybe I'm wrong, just an idea.

You've made a very interesting point there JohnNy_cz and probably hit the nail on the head.

From my own point of view I have been playing since 98. Didnt always have a net connection and when I did I was on modem and spiked so badly it meant I just messed about on LAN or against BOTS.
When I did get connection I never went near IRC. I never realised just how much the community was focussed around it.
When I did go on IRC it was full of Idlers, no one ever responded when I asked question so I just left it at that. (Unfortunately I was usually in wrong channels at the time)

The past year two years the Irish qw scene has started to wake up again and I mainly used ASE to see where the players were and also websites like quakeworld.nu for finding out what was going on. Eventually though people insisted I get on irc and when I did I was amazed at it. I suddenly found that it was essential to be on IRC for organzing matches or duels or getting in a clan, or even just knowing whats going on in the community. Once I lingered a bit I discovered the more active IRC channels to be in and how to use the bots for getting info or arranging a game. I never even realised that there were bots to send all messages to all the qw users as I was clueless as to what irc was really for. (Sounds stupid now I know)

The thing is: most of the current QW community have been on irc for years and take it for granted that anyone that plays QW uses IRC.
They understandably don't realise that there are alot of players out there who think irc is kinda geeky and that there is no point to it.

If you were a new player coming back you would google QW and find quakeworld.nu and a few other sites. For a lot of people this is there only portal to the qw community. Half the time though there would be little updates and it would seem like a very quiet community. Remembering that its only recently that Quakeworld.nu was back up and running and also that it is only now being updated more regularly (Thanks to sassa and others).

Anyhow im rambling (yet again) withough making a point. One point I can make is :
Despite playing qw for past few years I only started using irc the past 7 months or so or maybe even less.

Since then though because I have been more in touch with whats going on (due to being on irc daily) I am getting more involved and hence I play more and have become more dragged in to the game than before. This is completely down to being made more aware of the community revolving around IRC and down to using IRC. I would not be playing as much qw had I not realized its importance.

So we need to promote the importance of getting on irc but also we need other portals such as more community activity on quakeworld.nu. Very few of the community bother to input to that site or indeed qwdrama and more. This is essential.

Does this make any sense?

Also on a side note: The Irish QW community would always have been comparably small to most other Euro countries. Recently though one of our players killy (Clan asdf) wrote a nostalgic message board column on quake.ie calling for all old Irish QW players to return to the game and boost the community. A simple post on our website has successfuly resulted in a quite a few players returning this week already (and after a few years in exile) . It can be done if people are willing to make small efforts like writing articles on quakeworld.nu and spreading the word. If the Irish QW community can grow from practical extinction to an all time high when activity in other countries is dwindling then somthing is wrong
I ain't got no time for this jibber jabber fool
2007-03-20, 18:16
123 posts

Mar 2006
I think IRC is a big deal. ZDaemon has built in IRC in it's server browser that everyone uses to find servers. I think it's a big boost to get newbies onto IRC automatically whether they want it or not. Eventually they seem to start noticing it and then they get involved more and more.
2007-03-25, 22:57
News Writer
254 posts

Mar 2006
Hey NeFuRii,

#qwhelp is where you can ask questions and there are some good knowlegable guys on there that will help you out with questions.
If you are looking for games. Join our clan channel #tayto. We are always on there and chatting. Weekends can be quite but weekdays we are busy chatting

If you are not on irc. Firstly download an IRC client such as mirc
http://www.mirc.com/ or you could download another one called xchat

Start it up and connect to the main IRC network for Quakeworld players: This is their website
http://www.quakenet.org

Once you are connected then join the chat channels by typing:
/join #tayto
/join #qwhelp

And now you are all set to go.
Mesaage me if you need help in getting set up.
If you get that far I can send you in right direction to other channels.
Once connected to irc, it will open up the whole qw communitty to you.
I ain't got no time for this jibber jabber fool
2007-03-26, 06:52
312 posts

Jun 2006
pg wrote:
ZDaemon has built in IRC in it's server browser that everyone uses to find servers. I think it's a big boost to get newbies onto IRC automatically whether they want it or not.

+one

This system rox !
2007-03-26, 09:28
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:
Also on a side note: The Irish QW community would always have been comparably small to most other Euro countries. Recently though one of our players killy (Clan asdf) wrote a nostalgic message board column on quake.ie calling for all old Irish QW players to return to the game and boost the community. A simple post on our website has successfuly resulted in a quite a few players returning this week already (and after a few years in exile) . It can be done if people are willing to make small efforts like writing articles on quakeworld.nu and spreading the word. If the Irish QW community can grow from practical extinction to an all time high when activity in other countries is dwindling then somthing is wrong

I just had a look to see what this column was all about and found out it's a good read. Quake.ie seems like quite an active site on the news front lately. I think if more country sites did this, then it would be very good for the community. Just look at the polish Quake scene, they seem to have surged quite a bit, possible thanks to their own site http://quakeworld.pl/forum ?
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-03-27, 06:52
News Writer
493 posts

Jan 2006
Excellent and well put.
2007-03-27, 08:20
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
i agree, irc should be put into ezq with default channel #qwhelp
2007-03-28, 15:41
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
good stuff.
Thanks nefurii for caring and giving us your opinion. Any more comments about anything in the community?

----------
Also we can have irc on qw.nu... a java addon makes it simple. The community over at www.sensiblesoccer.de has one in their site. (once the user is registered)
screenshot link: http://img464.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ircsensiblesoccerdece7.png

---------

I've made a video (without any planning, u can laugh. but not much ok) introducing Fquake and showing (literally) how to install it and explaining what are the options in the installation, etc
read readme.txt for more info
link: http://www.jhoval.org/jhoval/qw/learn_qw1.rar
thanks coinz for the hosting.

once again, inspired on www.sensiblesoccer.de
what do you think? ofc my voice/english skills suck, but its rather simple to do and i think might be useful for new players
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2007-03-28, 19:48
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
I think a movie like the one you made could be nice mushi, but it might be more useful if it was used to describe how the Quakeworld community itself works. How one go about to look for practice games (using ".qw prac vs Hellknights now please" and then showing a dummy response to show that it works ), how to spec big games (by joining a qizmo after an Ownage game announcement and actually showing all the comands you type and then displaying some of the action to show that it actually works too) and where to look for coverage and so on. The video should be worth downloading, that is it must contain much mixed information which is useful for a new player. Show off what's best with QW; configurability (is that a word :p) and so on.
2007-03-29, 18:08
3 posts

Sep 2006
You load up counterstrike, within 2 minutes you are playing. Starcraft is the same. Not some retarded .menu or qizmo, or type this or type that, just simple, in as few clicks as possible.

No matter how many guides and tutorials you make it won't make a difference. You need a GUI as much like counterstrike as possible, so someone who is new can be playing quakeworld in 2 mins.

If new people play FFA or Clan Arena, then after awhile they'll Maybe try out duels and wars.

When more new people come, then more come and more, its like a snowball effect, but all this should have been done years ago.
2007-03-30, 14:56
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
ake vader: that's my exaclty my initial idea. The video I posted was just to show the possibilities of such videos.
My video was about fquake. there's a bunch of other stuff (as u mentioned) that could be put on video. Make several, each one with a general goal. (1 about qw configurability, 1 about irc and ase, etc) there's also the possibility of capturing ingame stuff (for console commands, menu navigation, whatever)

As with all things, all we need is get things going. WHO is gonna speak in those videos. When we get that person, all goes smooth

seaman: agreed. without a doubt. I hope ezQ developers are reading this
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2007-03-30, 15:39
312 posts

Jun 2006
Hey i have the same IRC addon to my website, u can try it if u wanna (chan is qw.fr) : http://www.quake-world.fr/index.php?irc

Write ur name and click to "entrez" button...
2007-04-02, 06:48
252 posts

Dec 2006
sassa wrote:
dude, there is just 2 much talk and no action!!

dont talk the talk when u cant walk the walk!!!

we all know the problems of qw and how to solve them, dont need to start a new topic about the same issue thats going on in the other threds

so zzzz

Shutup sassa. Talk is action. 8).
I'm helping newbs personally, (there are about six in australia that I know of) so I have plenty of ideas about problems encountered. I think the kyuone video was a good promotion, but my criticism is here http://quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1190&p=4 .
'on 120 ping i have beaten mortuary dirtbox and reload' (tm) mz adrenalin
'i watched sting once very boring and not good at all' (tm) mz adrenalin
[i]'i shoulda won all
2007-04-02, 16:10
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
mushi wrote:
I've made a video (without any planning, u can laugh. but not much ok) introducing Fquake and showing (literally) how to install it and explaining what are the options in the installation, etc
read readme.txt for more info
link: http://www.jhoval.org/jhoval/qw/learn_qw1.rar
thanks coinz for the hosting.

I love how you show us your recent downloads

(Bang_Bus_Feb_7__Unemployed_Hottie_Rides_The_Bus..3641164.TPB.torrent)

btw, your fQuake installation didn't work did it? seems like you made the movie when some distfiles were messed up (ezquake & basepackage, to name a few) :S
2007-04-03, 15:30
64 posts

Mar 2006
goqsane wrote:
no future for QW I believe, steady decline

Nothing more needs to be said. Quakeworld can't be revived. It wont all of a sudden have an influx of players in the next few years.
2007-04-03, 17:23
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
ziel wrote:
goqsane wrote:

Nothing more needs to be said. Quakeworld can't be revived. It wont all of a sudden have an influx of players in the next few years.

Well, it won't be worse than any other other action shooter i believe. Sure, we won't get 50.000 players like CS, but we are definitely as big as the rest of the Quake series and the UT series me believes. Our community is also very much more kickas than all of those together.
2007-04-03, 18:27
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
ziel wrote:
goqsane wrote:

that's just cynical

you seriously don't believe quakeworld can get more new players than there are people quitting?
2007-04-03, 19:24
13 posts

Feb 2007
i started playing qw few months ago, qw isn't a game without a future since it is far more playable than the most of recently launched games.
2007-04-04, 04:07
3 posts

Oct 2006
This is just my opinion, but I think the most important thing is advertising the game well to amass a larger player base. Obviously new players will get frustrated, but to spend time on something like tutors is a waste ATM.

You need to mass-advertise a single, easy package (fQuake) that has all ingame settings, no cfg, easily playable from the start, and a perfect, working server browser. Once the perfect package is finished being developed, you advertise on every gaming site imaginable/possible, particularly emphasizing the fact that's free and a classic game.
2007-04-04, 10:01
1754 posts

Jan 2006
icee wrote:
i started playing qw few months ago, qw isn't a game without a future since it is far more playable than the most of recently launched games.

^ziel pwnt
2007-04-04, 11:23
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Some good stuff written here, keep up the good ideas guys.

Here's a small list of stuff that is being discussed and its status:

Kenya FFA leagues:
On hold, I need to decide the statistics system (our country's server went down, couldnt test the mvd_xml output yet)

Text to "advertise" quake, written by english good writer:
update: Got 1 guy to write it in english

Good ideas that came up until now:
built-in IRC client on qw.nu and in ezquake
post in every country's quake/ut/whatever scene forum's a small text asking for old and new players to try the NEW qw
Videos explaining several qw related stuff
make connecting to a server easier/faster (in Ezquake)

Other stuff:
advertise: wait for ezQ new version
Tutor: wait for #rookie.qw and advertise

rift wrote:
You need to mass-advertise a single, easy package (fQuake) that has all ingame settings, no cfg, easily playable from the start, and a perfect, working server browser. Once the perfect package is finished being developed, you advertise on every gaming site imaginable/possible, particularly emphasizing the fact that's free and a classic game.
----------

that is it

regarding the good ideas that came up until now: I think they're nice and all of them can be done. what do you think of irc and faster connecting to ezQuake? on the other hand, WHO is willing to make the explainatory videos? The speaker must speak nice english imo. Who steps in?... I can help with the logistics

EDIT:
*Who has access to write to gaming news sites?
Akevader, ... (post here or msg me)
*#qwrookie is created
2007-04-04, 13:22
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
talk the talk

but can you

walk the walk???

SHOW ME!!
2007-04-04, 14:53
1754 posts

Jan 2006
http://www.stfu.se/ <-
2007-04-04, 14:57
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
sassa:

Im trying to organize this. i don't have to show you anything besides this. If you wanna help, apply for one of the requests.
Thanks
2007-04-04, 15:30
80 posts

Mar 2007
The thing thats pushing some of the new players that try qw away is that most people have played the game for a very long time. It's not fun to find out that youre getting raped all the time and that you cant find anybody on your skill level to play with..they enter an FFA-server (which usually are the servers you'd excpect a new player to start with) and you get RAPED. Not all people can stand getting totally raped and thats why newbies / low-skilled players should have somewhere to look up opponents that are new / low-skilled. Playing an equal opponent is a lot more fun than playing someone that you have no chance against.
--
Bucketrevolution!
  143 posts on 5 pages  First page12345Last page