User panel stuff on forum
  18 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2007-01-21, 01:43
5 posts

Jan 2007
Hello,

I am new to this Forum, and also to the Community.
I played Quake1 in 1996 till 1999, but now I am back to this legendaric game trying to find a good client.

While browsing through the Web I see that ezQuake is the recommended client.

I have been testing the "old" Fuhquake as well and I have made a weird experience. Even if ezQuake is supposed to be the better client - I wonder why ezQuake makes the walls move unsmooth when I turn my quake figure.

After a bit of testing, I found out, that I have the same unsmooth behaviour with FuhQuake, when I use the opengl.cfg of fQuake. So there must be a setting in opengl.cfg which causes the trouble....

So I thought: O.k. I will run ezQuake directly by ezquake-gl.exe (without ezstart; without opengl.cfg)
But it didnt help, it runs still unsmooth, while FuhQuake looks smooth when I run the fuhquake-gl.exe directly.

So it looks to me that the default grafic settings in ezQuake are different from FuhQuake.
How can I make ezQuake run smooth for me?
I am using a Geforce2 Card.

Anyone the same problem or a hint how I can improve the grafic flow?
Thanks in advance,
Tigerix.
2007-01-21, 02:46
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
you problem is very likely to be monitor Hz. You got to set it to 77 / 75 / 85 / whatever, but never 60Hz, which is the default.

The higher the Hz the better the feeling for your eyes (maybe not true in quake - smooth feeling but generally it is). So you got to set the screen hz of your quake resolution (hz is resolution-dependant) to *at least* 75. and the choppy feeling should dissapear.

With ezQuake you can turn on independent physics in cmd line by adding "+set cl_independent_physics 1" to your command line which unblocks the 77fps default to unlimited. there has been some discussion here on the forum regarding proper settings to use with this feature.

welcome back!! you'll recognize some oldschool players. like me
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2007-01-21, 02:48
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Welcome back to the world of Quake!
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2007-01-21, 03:03
5 posts

Jan 2007
Hi guys, thanks for your welcoming.

Its definitely not my monitor. I am using a LCD, which generally doesnt have this kind of problem.
Let me try to explain my problem again:

Normally when you have a game which runs very well and smoothly, then you can "see" the pixels move one by one - smooth in one go. In my case pixels move weirdly. For example in e1m1:
Once I have taken one of the 3 teleporters, than I am in the middle of 3 ways.

If I now turn "my" head in this small room then the pixels are not passing by one by one. They are not all the same speed of changing from A to B. Some parts of the wall are faster than other parts. The whole frame doesnt get transported in one go. Maybe the word flicks describes it. The pixels are not passing by all together and smoothly, how they are supposed to do.

If I would show you on my screen, then you would surely know directly what I mean... So I hope this describes it a little bit better.

As I say: FuhQuake-GL in the default configuration runs perfectly smooth.
ezQuake doesnt.

The thing I know: It has nothing to do with the resolution.
2007-01-21, 04:07
43 posts

Jan 2007
e1m1 != start

gl_texturemode:
GL_NEAREST
GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_NEAREST
GL_LINEAR
GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST
GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR

Check all of them.
2007-01-21, 08:56
1100 posts

Jan 2006
vsync is off?
2007-01-21, 12:28
518 posts

Jan 2006
cl_nolerp !!!!!

join #qwhelp for realtime help goes much faster
2007-01-21, 13:30
151 posts

Feb 2006
indepentant physics are running and your settings to not conform to those needed to run with it smoothly.

Use cl_maxfps 0, cl_physfps 77, cl_nolerp 0, cl_nopred 0, pushlatency 0 and vid_vsync 0.0.

Failing that, if your computer cannot run ezquake with fps above 100, use +set cl_independantphysics 0 on the commandline and return cl_maxfps 77 in cfg to disable the independant physics and run it as Fuhquake would
bd
2007-01-21, 13:44
151 posts

Jan 2006
what ezQ version U use (type /version @ console)

fps-indep physics work bad for some old LCDs
kill me now and burn my soul
2007-01-21, 14:20
5 posts

Jan 2007
Thanks very much for all your help
Really appreciated.

Unfortunately none of it worked.
Upps, yes e1m1 is after the start level - you are right My testings are done at the start level. Sliding in front of walls.

I have done a bit more of testing, and found out, that vid_vsync 0 makes fuhQuake run unsmooth at me. It isnt as unsmooth as ezQuake, but still it is unsmooth.

If I put vid_vsync 1 then fuhQuake runs perfectly smooth. But in ezQuake setting vid_vsync 1 doesnt help much.

It maybe improves it from
_......_......_......_

to:
_..._..._..._..._

while Fuhquake runs like this:

when sliding in front of walls.

So I still dont have a clue what the difference is between FuhQuake and ezQuake configuration.
I have copied the FuhQuake config to ezQuake, but still the same problem.

So I guess: Maybe its a default setting, which didnt exist in FuhQuake or which has changed since FuhQuake which is causing the trouble.

Its a pity... I wish I could find the root of the problem
Tigerix.
2007-01-21, 18:55
43 posts

Jan 2007
Tigerix

Try
cl_physfps 77
cl_maxfps X

Where X is about
~1000 if you have top pc (ex. 8800SLI + Conroe)
~600 if you have average pc (ex. 7800 + AMD/P4)
~200 if you have low-end pc
DON'T set it to 0. It sucks that way.

The thing is: X should by high enough to produce smooth gameplay, but low enough to keep steady in wars.
After you decide what range you need (let's say 600-700), you should strafe near the wall and play with it decreasing/increasing by tens (like 610,620,630,etc) and then by ones (like 631,632,633,etc). Eventually you will find the number producing perfectly smooth movement on your type of LCD/hardware with minimum weird pixel-flicking on walls. I use maxfps 633 on 60Hz LCD thru DVI.
2007-01-21, 19:35
1754 posts

Jan 2006
wow, I must compliment on your knowledge there hell! that's some nice info
2007-01-21, 23:15
43 posts

Jan 2007
It's generally more trickier to get proper qw on LCD than on CRT. But great results are still possible.

From docs:
Quote:
cl_maxfps - use a high value or 0. For LCD you might want to use a number that is not a multiplication of your screen refresh rate. E.g. 313.

cl_maxfps 0 is working weird for me:
- It drops framerate depending on what background tasks are running
- It just feels not as smooth as it should be. For example I strafing at dm4ya bridge looking at wall, cl_maxfps 0, real fps between 650-750 -> movement is a bit jerky (not as unplayable jerky as with vsync 1 or cl_maxfps 77, of course)
I set cl_maxfps to 600 and voila!, it becames smoother instantly.

Tigerix

When you experimenting with ezquake set:
gamma 0.5
scr_newhud 1

In the top-right corner it should be fps counter, if your max fps did not capped (cl_maxfps 0 or 5000), you will see how much fps you can really have. Let's say it's 700 fps, decrease it ~20% to have some room for wars and then fine tune this number.

Also you can post your model of LCD/Video/CPU, then it would be easier to help.
2007-01-22, 04:16
5 posts

Jan 2007
Thanks very much for your professional tipps and for you excellent helping! I am impressed!!

My hardware is:
Athlon 1800XP
1024MB DDR
Asus Geforce2 DDR
Philips Brilliance 150P

I have tested your suggestions, but unfortunately still none helps. I am very sure it has nothing to do with my LCD. Since I can really see, that this is problem looks like a grafic card thing. A wrong gl-setting or something like it.

I think maybe its best if I come and join #qwhelp
At the moment I am very busy, because I got exams in 2 weeks time, so I better come back when I finished and have more time

Cu soon!
Tigerix.
2007-01-22, 06:35
43 posts

Jan 2007
Tigerix

Check your mail, I edited gl portion of my cfg and bat file to match native resolution of your LCD (1024x768x75Hz afaik).
Try it and see if it helps.
2007-01-22, 13:09
5 posts

Jan 2007
hell, thanks very much for your config.
Its very interessting. Now with this Config it is a lot smoother in ezQuake. But still not as smooth as with fuhQuake. But surprisingly if I use this config in fuhquake, then fuhQuake gets unsmoother than ezQuake.

When I finish my exams, I will try to make a video (with camera of a friend) and then show you how the difference between fuhQuake and ezQuake looks like.

I am having about 130 Frames in the small room when sliding in front of the 3 doors of the start level.
2007-01-22, 15:26
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
fpsdrama! this gets more and more interesting...
Join us on discord.quake.world
2007-01-22, 23:13
66 posts

Jan 2006
Which operating system are you running? Windows XP?

Do you have the same problem if you play a demo in ezQuake?

Take a peek at "r_novis" (transparent water even if the map isn't VIS:ed). If 1, try 0.
  18 posts on 1 page  1