User panel stuff on forum
  28 posts on 1 page  1
LAN tournaments
2007-01-08, 18:42
11 posts

Jan 2007
Hello,

Paradox Dimensions would like some feedback on the two clips they produced during the lan (1on1 introduction and footage from day2 with some interviews about the 2on2 tourney)

If you didn't know already, We were asked to do them at our arrival at QHlan so imagine just how much time we had for preporations =) We only brought just enough gear to shoot a small documentary for our own purposes which is due to be edited much later so no editing hardware were brought either.

So when you critsize these short clips, have this in mind. We're mostly interested in what kind of content you would like to see in future productions (Qhlan 11 for an example) Do not bother to point out that the bluescreen was not very well done or the fact that the soundlevels resembled a roller coaster, we already know about that, however if you have some thoughts regarding the general design we're ofcourse happy to hear it.

Thanks for your help

Links to the clips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4i9bMw6DkM&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMEpD7H1R84&eurl=
2007-01-08, 18:58
637 posts

Jan 2006
I haven't much to say other than that I found the movies totally wicked!
They are VERY professional, at first, I thought they were actually REAL tv news, then I realised it was just 'homemade'
You did an absolutely outstanding job and I hope to see your involvement in the future of QW, obviously

WELL DONE
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2007-01-08, 19:03
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Hi, I think the clips were awsome!
Really professional in many ways.

Some minor things:
* More varying interview subjects (too often only Sassa)
* More time for interview subjects to think over their answers (ppl gotta think out the grammar etc)
* More interesting questions, not only focusing on "which ones will win"
* Change environment by interviewing some at their computers or maybe outside the venue?

Btw, what happens with the footage you filmed while we (suddendeath) were playing the 4on4 finals?
Join us on discord.quake.world
2007-01-08, 19:13
1435 posts

Jan 2006
There were like no images of how the rooms were looking, people unpacking their stuff, hypnotyzed faces staring into monitors, some UTP cables mess .. E.g. overall look of room1, room2, spectators room, like 5 seconds for each room would be quite enough. Some "intro" - someone walking with the camera inside of the place where QHLAN was happening, camming how he's actually entering the main doors.
If someone took me in the rooms where the LAN was actually happening, I won't be able to say (based on your video) if it's the place where the LAN was happening.
Sassa was talking too much. You should cut his talk into more pieces. When he's talking long minutes without interruption, it's getting boring. Insert more "intermezzo" material into the interviews - 20 seconds of talks + 5 seconds of some video from the LAN itself (things mentioned above). However I understand that's lot of work and you said you didn't have the time...

Besides this and the sound volume issues already mentioned, really nice work! Keep it up.
2007-01-08, 19:14
163 posts

Jan 2006
bps wrote:
Hi, I think the clips were awsome!
Really professional in many ways.

Some minor things:
* More varying interview subjects (too often only Sassa)
* More time for interview subjects to think over their answers (ppl gotta think out the grammar etc)
* More interesting questions, not only focusing on "which ones will win"
* Change environment by interviewing some at their computers or maybe outside the venue?

Btw, what happens with the footage you filmed while we (suddendeath) were playing the 4on4 finals?

<- exactly my thoughts. i was thinking: WHERE THE HELL AM I!? would be nice to have done a lil longer movie, and let the players introduce themselves, tell u what they think is their weakness, and power. put in some ingame clips and some lan clips where they play. and so on. nice work tho, really.
http://www.aimbot.se/pic/dopefish_anim.gif
2007-01-08, 19:14
11 posts

Jan 2007
bps wrote:

We haven't had the time to edit that footage just yet, I'd expect it to be on youtube tomorrow night along with some other random stuff we didn't already put in the existing clips.

As for interviewing people at their computers...That's really hard, It's going to be pitch black, alot going on and we all know LAN's tend to be a bit noisy =) But we will look into some new places to interview people next time, trying to break away alittle from the bluescreen.
2007-01-08, 19:20
11 posts

Jan 2007
Great comments so far guys, keep 'em comming. We take all of your comments to heart and we promise you will notice it next time.
2007-01-08, 19:26
80 posts

Jan 2006
I liked the documentaries, everything seemed very well done.

However, my only critique would be the people being interviewed.

Basically it seemed like some people didnt have a clue what they were talking about, sassa mentioning this was my first swedish lan, which is pretty funny. I've participated on two qhlans and cotslan 2000 a part from this lan. And thats like 4 out of 20 lans all together. Second critique would be about the subject "What happened to valla" where paradoks was spewing out garbage that I blamed the loss on luck and almost dropped? What the hell was that all about? I talked to xterm and in pure sarcasm I said his rl was the sickest I've played against and that it felt like I was gonna drop because of my stupidity getting owned by his rl all the time, notice, pure sarcasm. The way Paradoks said it sounded like I was taking stuff away from Inferno, which I really wasnt. He deserved the victory and qualification. Besides, I've never gone far in any tournament and I cant see what the fuzz was all about. My style might work in prac duels, but in officials its a no no.
2007-01-08, 19:41
11 posts

Jan 2007
valla wrote:

Basically it seemed like some people didnt have a clue what they were talking about, sassa mentioning this was my first swedish lan, which is pretty funny. I've participated on two qhlans and cotslan 2000 a part from this lan. And thats like 4 out of 20 lans all together. Second critique would be about the subject "What happened to valla" where paradoks was spewing out garbage that I blamed the loss on luck and almost dropped? What the hell was that all about? I talked to xterm and in pure sarcasm I said his rl was the sickest I've played against and that it felt like I was gonna drop because of my stupidity getting owned by his rl all the time, notice, pure sarcasm. The way Paradoks said it sounded like I was taking stuff away from Inferno, which I really wasnt. He deserved the victory and qualification. Besides, I've never gone far in any tournament and I cant see what the fuzz was all about. My style might work in prac duels, but in officials its a no no.

Well, Stroller was the one who came up with the questions and bringing people in for interviews, PD basically just filmed it, edited it and put it on the internet. I thought that the whole "where's Valla" thing might be sensitive and out of place, But Stroller asked the question and did not say anything when it remained in the final edit. Bottom line here being: Blame Stroller =)

As for the poor selection of people, blame the top players of QHlan that did not dare do an interview with us. We really tried to get people to interview but most people declined, and let me tell you, We did not just ask once
2007-01-08, 19:41
151 posts

Feb 2006
i second everything jonny_cz said, my views exactly also.

Plus I think if someone doesnt want to be interviewed then at least get some footage of them slyly at their computer and then aftereffect their name next to them so you get what you want (and we want) anyway PP
bd
2007-01-08, 19:53
151 posts

Jan 2006
haha alwase blame me... i just asked the quastion. and maybe it was a dumb quastion but i hade no other quastion in mind becouse the other boring quastions where boring. so i tryed to make it a little bit better=D
2007-01-08, 20:34
1100 posts

Jan 2006
What bps and JohnNy_cz said, signed!

-The bluescreen was awesome. I don't see any need to improve that.
-It would be fantastic to have some match resume of eg. the finals. With excerpts from the games and comments by the players. Probably the players don't want to do that though.
-More interviewed people.
-Someone teaching Sassa English ( sugar <3 )

maybe i have more thoughts later.
2007-01-08, 20:42
79 posts

Jan 2006
|AW| Ayame wrote:
As for interviewing people at their computers...That's really hard, It's going to be pitch black, alot going on and we all know LAN's tend to be a bit noisy =) But we will look into some new places to interview people next time, trying to break away alittle from the bluescreen.

Imo, a mixture of bluescreen interviews with more thought out answers (preparing more with better grammar etc. like bps said) and at peoples computer interviews with more spontaneous and short answers like the question "Who's Mawe?", sort of like going around "town" researching would be nice

You could probably bring some sort of way to light up the people you interview aswell with some small mics to attach to them ("mygga" in swedish) so you can tell the noise apart, and probably edit out some of the background noise if you're really elite

But I was completley suprised and fascinated by the interviews, they were something fresh to the QHLan promotion/media, so just by doing them you did a great job.
zaiko of BaconMen
2007-01-08, 20:46
80 posts

Jan 2006
|AW| Ayame wrote:
valla wrote:

Well, Stroller was the one who came up with the questions and bringing people in for interviews, PD basically just filmed it, edited it and put it on the internet. I thought that the whole "where's Valla" thing might be sensitive and out of place, But Stroller asked the question and did not say anything when it remained in the final edit. Bottom line here being: Blame Stroller =)

As for the poor selection of people, blame the top players of QHlan that did not dare do an interview with us. We really tried to get people to interview but most people declined, and let me tell you, We did not just ask once

Yeah I dont really blame anyone. Maybe some more research would have avoided such questions and answers. But all in all, the movies were great, sassa and para are both nice guys and I enjoyed the lan alot.
2007-01-10, 00:22
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
Spirit wrote:
-Someone teaching Sassa English ( sugar <3 )

NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2007-01-10, 11:26
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
great promotion for qw. I agree with most of the stuff said here. Imagine the possibilities if the videos were planned a bit before
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2007-01-10, 11:42
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
ye, and ppl engage in sweet qw-suits for next year like we did
2007-01-10, 12:55
518 posts

Jan 2006
gimme qhlan day3 video! :<<
2007-01-11, 13:44
1754 posts

Jan 2006
ye ayame you slacker!
2007-01-11, 17:25
5 posts

Jan 2007
Can anyone tell me the name or the artist of the song on QHLAN intro?
2007-01-11, 17:44
626 posts

Jan 2006
hum.. edited my post..
2007-01-11, 23:26
85 posts

Jan 2006
no more videos?
Mean Machine QuakeWorld Clan
2007-01-12, 07:46
151 posts

Jan 2006
okey... hoppfully the 3d will be released the end of the weekend. and konk teddybear stockholm (2on2) fatboyslim(1on1). so im going to polen the 20 of may... pool will you have party for me?
2007-01-12, 17:13
247 posts

Jan 2006
hahaha best luck man why ur visiting poland anyway?
2007-01-12, 18:15
151 posts

Jan 2006
my teacher asked if i wanted to go to a film festival in krakov and iwill get hotel and every thing=D. i said yes becouse i want to meat pool again=D or any other quaker in po(o)len=D
2007-01-12, 18:30
370 posts

May 2006
for the cheap cigarettes and wodka!
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2007-01-12, 18:48
151 posts

Jan 2006
=) hehehe
2007-05-08, 08:10
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
what news from the front sire? you never released any more clips?
and what up with upcoming qhlan?
  28 posts on 1 page  1