User panel stuff on forum
  9 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2007-01-04, 02:02
188 posts

Jan 2007
First of all, sorry for being late on this, but I didn't realise until a few days ago that a new version of Ezquake had been released.

For those who want to get straight to business, the archive is [rule 6] and the readme is [rule 6].

What does this patch do?
This patch disables the executable checksum check in the "security" modules and makes it possible for any program to load them.

The patch is available for both Windows and Linux.

How does this patch help me?
Many tournaments for some reason require that participants are able to produce a hash of globally known data and random numbers (also known as the "security" module). This requirement is completely bogus and hinders players from participating in tournaments for no good reason at all. For example, the Ezquake 1754 release has broken sound in the Linux version, so in order to be able to use it, you must first fix the bugs in the sound code. But if you do that, the unpatched "security" module will fail to load and you are hindered from playing in tournaments. This patch corrects this problem.

But aaarg, OMG, you're such a cheater!
This patch has nothing to do with cheating. This patch does in no way enable any cheats which weren't previously possible.

If anyone wishes to cheat, I can think of at least 5 easier ways to do it than disabling executable checksum in the "security" module.. Claiming that the "security" module is an anti-cheating measure is like claiming that a spoon is good for closing a door.
2007-01-04, 10:30
1011 posts

Feb 2006
readme link is broken
2007-01-04, 10:39
188 posts

Jan 2007
Whoops. Corrected, thanks
2007-01-10, 00:02
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Thanks that you helped us making the security module better.
</irony>
2007-01-10, 21:58
805 posts

Mar 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Thanks that you helped us making the security module better.
</irony>

When the security module for build 1754 will be out?
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2007-01-10, 22:52
116 posts

Mar 2006
lol
2007-01-11, 10:45
62 posts

Jan 2006
So... What do i do when i play ez for mac? I cant load the security module.
2007-01-11, 19:34
188 posts

Jan 2007
nopee wrote:
So... What do i do when i play ez for mac? I cant load the security module.

Oh, there are many different ways you could go about this, but unfortunately I don't have a readymade solution for you.

You could reverse engineer the "security" module and write your own. The code seems fairly simple, so this could work.

You could run one of the existing binaries inside emulation. That is, you go take QEmu's emulator (or any other x86 emulator, I guess) and an ELF loader, you implement the few functions* the "security" module requires and then you're done.

There are a few other ways to do it, but those two are probably the easiest I can think of.

Of course you could also just convince your local tournament administrator that the "security" module isn't worth the bytes it occupies.

* List of functions required by the "security" module:

atoi
calloc
exit
fclose
fopen
fread
free
fseek
ftell
memcpy
memset
printf
puts
rand
strcmp
strncmp
strstr
vsnprintf
2007-01-12, 08:03
1011 posts

Feb 2006
as previously mentioned on the other security dll threads, whilst never being uncrackable it should be relatively trivial to make it less susceptible to hacking

unfortunately the security code currently isn't distributed among ezquake developers
  9 posts on 1 page  1