User panel stuff on forum
  18 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2006-12-19, 20:49
364 posts

Oct 2006
This John Romero's "Severity" announcement made me wonder...

How many of you guys here would agree to learn a substantially different physics model if it proved superior to QW's for some reason? Just as an example, to bunny-hop forward, you could just keep +forward pressed instead of alternating the strafes; the rationale here is to make it easier for a total noob to get his first frags in an extremely fast-paced game like QW.
2006-12-19, 20:58
1754 posts

Jan 2006
well, noobs shouldn't learn quickly :/
I started 2 years ago in february and I still don't everything..
+forward bunnyhopping will suck for sure
2006-12-19, 21:02
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Tonik wrote:

How many of you guys here would agree to learn a substantially different physics model if it proved superior to QW's for some reason? Just as an example, to bunny-hop forward, you could just keep +forward pressed instead of alternating the strafes; the rationale here is to make it easier for a total noob to get his first frags in an extremely fast-paced game like QW.

Sounds like Painkiller bunnyhopping to me

Personally I think it wouldn't be too bad as long as it didn't drastically change what kind of moves are possible.
2006-12-19, 21:28
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
HangTime wrote:
Tonik wrote:

Sounds like Painkiller bunnyhopping to me

Personally I think it wouldn't be too bad as long as it didn't drastically change what kind of moves are possible.

Painkiller = my first thought too. However, i don't like the idea though but maybe i'm just conservative. If you could do Ronaldinho tricks by just looking at the ball, would you like this new game too? Just to make it easier for newbies? (poor comparison i know, but wth. It's almost the same shit? )
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-12-19, 21:28
364 posts

Oct 2006
Yeah, Painkiller bunnyhoping could be like that except that they fucked it up by only allowing +forward (or +forward+strafe) to do air control (but not +strafe, not +back)
2006-12-19, 21:33
364 posts

Oct 2006
Ake Vader wrote:
If you could do Ronaldinho tricks by just looking at the ball, would you like this new game too? Just to make it easier for newbies?

It's not going to make your learning curve a walk in the park, you'll still have to climb it all the way if you want to be real good, but you won't need the huge leap at the start just to get into the game
2006-12-19, 23:08
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Nah but you know, it's the same in football. You can play the game against your friends on an equal level but as soon as you meet chelsea you're fucked, like 1000 times over. That's what makes it special imo and having the game as "advanced" as it is makes it even more jaw dropping when someone pulls off those crazy moves.

Sure the new players could do the new movement stuff, but wouldn't they still be dominated like they were before even if they could move like that? I think the learning curve would only be minimized by a little bit, not much enough for it to be an appealing option to make the game more accessible you know. *random rant*
2006-12-20, 00:37
192 posts

Mar 2006
I dont like that idea, but I would agree if you add the teleport jump, like in cpma, so you dont stop gaining speed while going through a teleporter
2006-12-20, 14:33
1754 posts

Jan 2006
molgrum has his own servermod with this, and stairhopping :>
2006-12-20, 15:33
1026 posts

Feb 2006
yeah.. maybe adding to KTX an optional set of physics, besides vqw (vanilla qw), would spice things up
i have some cool(?) suggestions:

- faster way of moving on staircases
- maintaining speed through teles
- tele-rj: maintaining vertical direction of movement through teles..
for example on dm4: RJ-ing vertically through the RA teleporter to exit directly upwards and land @ LG
- some limited form of strafe jump (really important for newbs!)

these additions would capture new players attention and might make them interested enough in the game to learn the standard physics as well.
god damn hippies >_<
2006-12-20, 15:54
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
Sorry guys i don't agree. If i wanna learn something new, i'de move to other game. I mean, *there are* alternatives. I just dont have the time and patience and i like it the way it is. Besides, there are more important things to do in qw community, like getting the new qw.nu going, eyecandy site, maps site... just to name a few.

Aquashark's idea is reasonable, but imho it could do more harm than good: some players could "move" to that kind of physics while the others stayed. result? not enough players in both sides

Imo, the global keyword for qw right now is "MERGE". merge efforts, merge contents, etc! work unite. together we have more chances to bring new ppl into qw.

no heartfeelings tho, ezquake ftw!
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2006-12-20, 16:14
151 posts

Feb 2006
i think that changing the physics, even if it was only an option like aqua mentioned, it would divide the community and open up pandora's box.

Personally i think that there are many things we can do to entice new players to qw, such as user-friendly game interfaces and ui's, simple and easy to use internal server browser and qtv, offer more tournements and oppurtunities for lesser skilled players and even like the other thread touched on - joining games/cams directly from web pages. However when we start to actually change the basic workings of the game itself then we are seriously losing the plot.

The 'ronaldinho' metaphor that ake used earlier is a good point. Why make playing the game and the game's necessary skills easy to obtain and do, when the point of the game is to have people who are good at things or not? Thats how people win or lose. If everyone could do all the tricks and jumps because of a physics change then the only thing that would separate people is their aim, and then it would come down to who misses a shot or lag. The only solid thing that would never be affected is tactics employed by a player.

What im saying is that we should make the game easier for new players to find, connect and set up, but not change the game to suit them. unfortunately newbies are the minority and moulding the game around them would create a whole new game altogether and deter the players that we DO have.

I think that instead, someone should make a really easy to open, read and watch set of demos/movies detailing the various moves and skills you need to get them to a basic skill level that means they can move around and understand the game/what other's are doing, but after that leave them on their own skill-finding quest because that's one of the things that makes qw so fun.
bd
2006-12-20, 16:52
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
bandog wrote:
i think that changing the physics, even if it was only an option like aqua mentioned, it would divide the community and open up pandora's box.

Personally i think that there are many things we can do to entice new players to qw, such as user-friendly game interfaces and ui's, simple and easy to use internal server browser and qtv, offer more tournements and oppurtunities for lesser skilled players and even like the other thread touched on - joining games/cams directly from web pages. However when we start to actually change the basic workings of the game itself then we are seriously losing the plot.

The 'ronaldinho' metaphor that ake used earlier is a good point. Why make playing the game and the game's necessary skills easy to obtain and do, when the point of the game is to have people who are good at things or not? Thats how people win or lose. If everyone could do all the tricks and jumps because of a physics change then the only thing that would separate people is their aim, and then it would come down to who misses a shot or lag. The only solid thing that would never be affected is tactics employed by a player.

What im saying is that we should make the game easier for new players to find, connect and set up, but not change the game to suit them. unfortunately newbies are the minority and moulding the game around them would create a whole new game altogether and deter the players that we DO have.

I think that instead, someone should make a really easy to open, read and watch set of demos/movies detailing the various moves and skills you need to get them to a basic skill level that means they can move around and understand the game/what other's are doing, but after that leave them on their own skill-finding quest because that's one of the things that makes qw so fun.

Amen.
2006-12-20, 17:00
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
amen! damn my english skills suck. same point on my post, but i recon bandog's (chiuaua) post has more impact
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2006-12-20, 17:05
151 posts

Feb 2006
mushi wrote:
bandog's (chiuaua)

lol!
bd
2006-12-20, 18:24
1026 posts

Feb 2006
^^what bandog said
god damn hippies >_<
2006-12-21, 20:13
1026 posts

Feb 2006
the best example of a good compromise of physics is Warsow..
strafe jumps, bunny hopping, double jump, dodging (like in UT) + the extra uber cool walljumping

QW shouldn't try to compete in that segment since Warsow is free.. QW has its own unique niche
god damn hippies >_<
2006-12-21, 20:18
37 posts

Jan 2006
As long as the old physics weren't changed, I don't see the point in not allowing newcomers to 'do what we do'.
It would suck if it would change the way we play right now, as old people would be out of the loop then.

Changing a game that has been 'popular' for the past 8 years for me would be rough.
  18 posts on 1 page  1