User panel stuff on forum
  17 posts on 1 page  1
Client Talk
2006-12-15, 23:58
66 posts

Jan 2006
I just switched over to gentoo (no reason... perhaps entertainment), and since xmms is masked here nowadays I'd like to have some suggestions on how to be able to control audacious from within Quake. Since (at least) fullscreen glquake takes full control over the keyboard and the rest of the avalible input devices common hotkeys won't work.

Common hotkeys work in fullscreen warcraft3 (opengl) through wine, but what the hell, I can't run QUAKE though WINE - ARE YOU INSANE? I assume this is a quake (or something that is uses) - issue.

Actually, what's really my question is : How can I run console commands through hotkeys from within Quake? This could maybe/probably be solved through installing some xmms-audacious plugin clone, but what the hell... You must be able to "unlock" the grip quake sets on the keyboard right?

I guess this was about what I came up with after a litle too much alcohol. Some help would be appreciated though. Another thing that would be lovely is to be able to "alt+tab" from Quake back to my X.. I guess something with X sessions.. But I suspect that Quake would lock up my keyboard even there so I wouldn't be able to switch anyway...

G'nite!
2006-12-16, 03:53
271 posts

Feb 2006
> Since (at least) fullscreen glquake takes full control over the keyboard and the rest of the avalible input devices common hotkeys won't work.

There should be a windowed_mouse cvar. See what happens if you set that to 0 before pressing your non-quake-related hotkey. Otherwise I don't have a clue.

> but what the hell, I can't run QUAKE though WINE - ARE YOU INSANE?

wine is meant to be a bug-for-bug reimplementation of the windows api and the fact that you cannot do this implies there is a bug in wine.
Perhaps there is some wine-system library missing.
Try a different engine.

> How can I run console commands through hotkeys from within Quake?

I assume you want to be able to press a key and have it issue a console command?
Look up the 'bind' console command.
bind keycodeorname commandyouwantthatkeytodo

> Another thing that would be lovely is to be able to "alt+tab" from Quake back to my X..

This is a KDE issue really, a few other programs have problems in the same manor. I added a workaround in my engine, but don't blame quake, just encourage other engine modders to add similar workarounds.
moo
2006-12-16, 05:56
113 posts

Apr 2006
Spike wrote:
> How can I run console commands through hotkeys from within Quake?

I assume you want to be able to press a key and have it issue a console command?
Look up the 'bind' console command.
bind keycodeorname commandyouwantthatkeytodo

I think he was referring to the linux console and not the quake console.
biomass
2006-12-16, 11:51
198 posts

Oct 2006
Good choice on gentoo!

About audacious - despite it's the most actively developed audio player for linux atm, i'd suggest another client, which takes up much less cpu and mem, runs in ncurses (console), but doesnt require a terminal, called moc (or mocp in gentoo, eix moc).

As for ezquake + xmms - since noone uses (or actually noone should use) xmms anymore, ezquake's xmms handling is quite useless imho? Dunno about backward compatibility of those forks of xmms, but i guess, in the worst case, you'd have to add support for each new audio player (and feasible xmms successor? :<

Anyways, the problem of alt_tabbing between X and fullscreen ezquake-gl.glx is known. Basically, as far as i know, disconnect, who takes care of linux issues in this client, said that he is looking for an application, that takes over user input and runs in fullscreen AND allows for alt_tabbing. The workaround is to use two X sessions, with display at :0 and :1 (google for a manual, if you're interested).

I'm curious of this workaround Spike implemented - could you share it with disconnect please?
2006-12-16, 13:06
151 posts

Jan 2006
Next Linux release (tomorrow) will be without XMMS support.

Well. It's pretty easy to control all KDE-ish media players thru DCOP, but it seems DCOP is deprecated since there are DBUS. I'll read DBUS manuals in jan.-fab. and may be there will be support for like 10-20 media-players.

P.S. You can always make plugin to your favorite media player and control it with a packet command. Ex:
packet localhost 9999 next
packet localhost 9999 nowplaying
etc
kill me now and burn my soul
2006-12-16, 16:39
66 posts

Jan 2006
Spike-stuff
windowed_mouse apparently doesn't help when in fullscreen - "You must be in windowed mode bla bla"

Ok, sorry, maybe I was a little too intoxinated (maybe you too...? I probably CAN run Quake through Wine but the point I was trying to make was that I want to run Quake native.

As biomass suggested - I was talking about Linux console commands, not Quake consoles.

Alt+tab - I'm pretty certain that this isn't a KDE issue since I don't even use KDE. Tried both Gnome and Fluxbox, which has the same problem. Maybe an X and XORG - issue though. The problem seems however related to Quake (or as I said - something it uses) since it takes complete control over the avalible input devices... Isn't it also the same for console/software/svga versions...? Can't swap to another tty even there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Biomass-stuff
You're the man!

Faustov-stuff
Gentoo seems nice. At least QUICK when all shit has been installed

Yeah, of course there are "better" alternatives, but I have enough CPU and RAM, and I appreciate the winamp-clone-feeling. Do you have a suggestion for an mp3-daemon with a gui similar to winamp/xmms, please let me know.

Disconnect-stuff
You're also the man! I'll have a look on the packet-thingy!

Concerning the alt+tab issue - I guess this is related to the complete control Quake takes on the input devices... Must be able to send commands outside the Quake-box... But wtf, I'm not a developer

Btw, I read something about this alt+tabbing issue a couple of years ago in which someone spawned another x-session to be able to "swap" between them - but this would probably not be possible since you can't send anything outside Quake itself afaik. (Maybe this packet-thingy can help even with these things.).

Over and out! More alcohol!
2006-12-16, 19:10
47 posts

Jan 2006
#5 no xmms and need for experimental libs, you really don't want linux people to use this new ezquake do you :/

#6 config your displaymanager (xdm/kdm/gdm) to start two X (different settings possible) and ctrl+alt+f8/ctrl+alt+f7 between them, it's ez
2006-12-16, 21:32
66 posts

Jan 2006
Ok, no need to correct me. You could actually cltr+alt+fX from Quake nowadays. Sheesh, must have been ages since I even bothered to try.

So Term - do you have a nice cmdline for launching a command in a new x session? RTFM is for whores and christians.
2006-12-16, 23:14
47 posts

Jan 2006
Ok, I only have debian installed but I think it's pretty much the same in other distros:

xdm:
edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers to include something like this
:0 local /usr/bin/X :0 vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp -logverbose 6
:1 local /usr/bin/X :1 vt8 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp -logverbose 6
you might wanna add -layout Layout1 or someting too

gdm:
edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf under [servers] there should be
0=Standard
1=Standard
and you might need to edit under [server-Standard] too

kdm: (probably similar in kde4)
edit /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers to include
:0 local@tty1 /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp
:1 local@tty2 reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X -nolisten tcp :1

feel free to query me if you have some questions, I know for example that gdm supports autologin, might be something you want.
2006-12-17, 00:04
66 posts

Jan 2006
Damn Term, seems like I'll have to RTFM anyway. What I was looking for was like "xinit -- :1 ./ezq -ruleset pr0nmovies" :I'll post if I find something :-)
2006-12-17, 00:05
151 posts

Jan 2006
> #5 no xmms and need for experimental libs, you really don't want linux people to use this new ezquake do you
XMMS is really deprecated. End of story.

I'm quickly build gentoo with glibc2.3 inside vmware and compile last ezQ release on it. So Debian and Slackware users can be happy.

No need for any external libs now. All stuff staticly linked inside one binary
2006-12-17, 14:53
43 posts

Dec 2006
You can get Audcious to work by soft linking /usr/lib/libxmms.so to /usr/lib/libaudacious.so.

As for alt tabbing, you can use vid_minimize to get back to your desktop. Works pretty well in GNOME.
2006-12-17, 16:07
198 posts

Oct 2006
Cooperating with dbus seems a great idea.

@siikah:

For sure xmms2 and esperanza work as daemons so you could use the packet command to control them, but unfortunately you cant use that for mp3tag pasting in the console. Maybe amarok too, but i havent checked that one. About mocp - its still much much faster than any known-to-me gui audio player. Loads tags for 7000 songs in few seconds (xmms took about 10 minutes, if it didnt crash before, audacious few mins and also could crash from time to time).
2006-12-17, 17:10
705 posts

Feb 2006
http://xmms.org/
2006-12-18, 10:25
151 posts

Jan 2006
1) packet localhost 9999 nowplaying // here we tell our mediaplayer to wring "artist - title" string into some file
2) exec nowplaying.cfg // here we read this file. it should have content like: set nowplaying "artist-title".
3) say mp3: $nowplaying // and here we'll say it

bind j "packet localhost 9999 nowplaying;wait;wait;wait;wait;wait;wait;exec nowplaying.cfg;say mp3: $nowplaying"

it's not so EZ since you have to make a plugin for your media player :E
2006-12-18, 14:32
198 posts

Oct 2006
disconnect wrote:
1) packet localhost 9999 nowplaying // here we tell our mediaplayer to wring "artist - title" string into some file
2) exec nowplaying.cfg // here we read this file. it should have content like: set nowplaying "artist-title".
3) say mp3: $nowplaying // and here we'll say it

bind j "packet localhost 9999 nowplaying;wait;wait;wait;wait;wait;wait;exec nowplaying.cfg;say mp3: $nowplaying"

it's not so EZ since you have to make a plugin for your media player :E

Heheh, thanks to this shit ppl will be able to use any external app, like item timers and other unsporting stuff :> So, to simplify things, how about implementing an "/exec <external_application>" function?
2006-12-18, 15:43
151 posts

Jan 2006
packet cant be used in match-time if -ruleset smackdown.

May be in next release /exec and /cfg_load commands will be blocked if (match_in_progress && ruleset_smackdown).
  17 posts on 1 page  1