User panel stuff on forum
  62 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page
Client Talk
2006-11-04, 08:56
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Using this feature you can:
- let frag messages to be displayed in a separated window in a custom format.
- adjust the position of the window with the messages.
- see if the message is good or bad for you based on the color of the middle part of the message.
- set the "timeout" for the messages to very high value so they stay on the screen for long time (this has a small bug in present state though).
- remove frag messages from console log & notify area (optional).
See the screenshots below.
Note: In previous version of ezQuake, you could already see frag messages related to yourself to be displayed in this separate window.

What do you think about this feature? If you "just do/don't like it" and have nothing new to say on the topic, please just use the poll.
This questionary & poll is here mainly to discuss it, not to make final decision on putting it into il/legality.

Credits for adding this feature -> qqshka

Screenshots
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/1665/ezquake002iw1.th.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2923/ezquake007th3.th.jpg
http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/1240/ezquake009uo0.th.jpg
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/3715/ezquake015yj6.th.jpg
2006-11-04, 09:19
1100 posts

Jan 2006
Very nice because the information is more separated -> easier to "see/get/understand".
2006-11-04, 12:15
1026 posts

Feb 2006
i don't see why anyone would oppose this?
we're using more disturbing stuff than this.. custom huds/skins/textures/crosshairs

if you're using BIG hud elements to see/understand quickly your status, how separating obituary messages for a better view is any different from customizing your hud?
god damn hippies >_<
2006-11-04, 14:03
192 posts

Mar 2006
Yes, I like this very much!!

/me is stitting here waiting for the next ezQuake Version
2006-11-04, 18:32
News Writer
493 posts

Jan 2006
It's a great step forward for Quake! Great job guys

voted yes!
2006-11-05, 15:49
637 posts

Jan 2006
I don't think it's a step forward to Quake.

I think it's a step forward to making the game a lot more lame. I mean, it's inevitable to introduce new features for Quake as it's still in the stone age compared to new FPS games but I don't think this is the thing that needs to be improved. I think the basic idea of the game would be changed, so to speak.
It's not news at 11 that reading the console deaths in 4on4 is a very very important feature, part of the experience every Quake player has. Having a seperate window will make it easier, too easy I think.

What will be the next step, changing the bunnyhop physics so it's as lame as it is in PainKiller ? (No real movement skill needed), maybe something like cl_noaim next step, why oh why should the people aim well?

Think about it
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2006-11-05, 15:53
69 posts

Feb 2006
top notch sir.
2006-11-05, 16:13
89 posts

Mar 2006
Custom death messages are BS. This issue is pretty much the same as gameclock but with one notable difference which is that there is no real "support" for this outside of qw clients. Like for gameclock there were fucking eggclocks and hax scripts&applications but what are you going to do if you want custom death messages,ha nothing go learn to program. So basically custom death messages do not exist yet or maybe someone has some uber hax things going on but anyways the point is that why should we introduce this feature to qw. I believe cocksane has said pretty much everything that there is to say from my point of view so along with the custom death messages lets change the 4on4 gamemode to dmm4 so that everyone will get weapons and so on muahahhaha.

just my 2cents
2006-11-05, 20:49
805 posts

Mar 2006
You guys like to exaggerate things!
https://tinyurl.com/qwbrasil - QuakeFiles
2006-11-05, 21:46
1026 posts

Feb 2006
quake ain't a reading contest, it's a first person shooter..
god damn hippies >_<
2006-11-05, 22:48
626 posts

Jan 2006
me LOVE
2006-11-05, 23:12
News Writer
493 posts

Jan 2006
Aquashark wrote:
quake ain't a reading contest, it's a first person shooter..

i agree. for those who voted no:

are you also against $\$ messages? how about LEDs? how about colored text? How about (back in the day) adding **** before and after all messages to make more noticeable? This is the same thing, but a modern solution.
2006-11-05, 23:30
284 posts

Oct 2006
goqsane wrote:
I don't think it's a step forward to Quake.

I think it's a step forward to making the game a lot more lame. I mean, it's inevitable to introduce new features for Quake as it's still in the stone age compared to new FPS games but I don't think this is the thing that needs to be improved. I think the basic idea of the game would be changed, so to speak.
It's not news at 11 that reading the console deaths in 4on4 is a very very important feature, part of the experience every Quake player has. Having a seperate window will make it easier, too easy I think.

What will be the next step, changing the bunnyhop physics so it's as lame as it is in PainKiller ? (No real movement skill needed), maybe something like cl_noaim next step, why oh why should the people aim well?

Think about it

When you compare shit, how about keeping them comparable? Personally I think every little improvement like this actually helps people develop and focus more on the important aspects of the game like tactics, strategy, teamplay etc. We have a scene that has already approved fb-skins, flat color textures etc that actually have a huge effect on how you see things in the game. And yet we couldn't have a client add more wanted distinction to death messages

Since the gameclock issue was brought up, I'll ask you these simple questions.
Are all the players helping to get the quad / powerup every time? Are the takers always on that shit on the right second. Do people still miss quads, come early, get killed, come late, get raped? Hell, let's look at some Pent-situations at dm3. That clock sure did change the game so that it's too easy now noskill etc.

To the developers
While you're at it, why not make all the message elements movable and changeable like other hud elements? I would personally like to move all team mm2 to the bottom left corner and keep mm1 at the top. I would also add a small frame for the mm2 to make them more readable.

And to the whiners, we are already able to do a lot of things like filtering, sounds, notifytime etc to those messages. Why shouldn't we be able to MOVE them?

I would also request the reimplementation of a great Qizmo-filter, which was %n (near) These messages were only shown to people near to you according to some x value (I don't know what the radius was really). This way we could have more directed messages to players actually in that situation. Examples:
Take my pack before you bore your rl to a better equipped player
Trick, the guy at the other end of the map prolly doesn't give two shits if you are trying to organize a trick with a player close by.
U take messages and such, although these are already somewhat individualised by adding nickname

Please let me know if you want me to submit these as formal feature requests.
2006-11-06, 01:00
1754 posts

Jan 2006
shit man, hafog&goqsane, let's go back to 20 minute 1on1s with dmm1 and such?
this is a feature right? nobody's forcing either of you to use it and I doubt many will find it more helpful than eyecandy.
it's like the whole colored-text-issue, do we need it? maybe not, but we are(maybe) allowing more people in to the community by adding features their games don't have, for starters custom HUDs
2006-11-06, 06:08
637 posts

Jan 2006
shit Peppe, go back to CS ;o
2006-11-06, 07:46
News Writer
493 posts

Jan 2006
niomic wrote:
To the developers
While you're at it, why not make all the message elements movable and changeable like other hud elements? I would personally like to move all team mm2 to the bottom left corner and keep mm1 at the top. I would also add a small frame for the mm2 to make them more readable.

thought of this already, will be done i think
2006-11-06, 09:32
626 posts

Jan 2006
vegetous wrote:

Yea, you guys really like to exaggerate things.

You truly thinks this will make you a better player?
- you aim better
- you run faster
- you dodge faster
- and god damn you shaft nearly 75% with this featurure! !! 2131!"#!! !
seeing almost every pixel running drawflat and you won't miss a shell box!

Love this feature, keep it coming!
2006-11-06, 10:21
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
I like. Very much.
Join us on discord.quake.world
2006-11-06, 12:51
1754 posts

Jan 2006
phrenic wrote:
vegetous wrote:

Indeed you do
Every new feature won't destroy quake goq, you're doing that pretty good by yourself
2006-11-06, 13:42
637 posts

Jan 2006
niomic wrote:
goqsane wrote:
...me...

When you compare shit, how about keeping them comparable? Personally I think every little improvement like this actually helps people develop and focus more on the important aspects of the game like tactics, strategy, teamplay etc. We have a scene that has already approved fb-skins, flat color textures etc that actually have a huge effect on how you see things in the game. And yet we couldn't have a client add more wanted distinction to death messages

Are all the players helping to get the quad / powerup every time? Are the takers always on that shit on the right second. Do people still miss quads, come early, get killed, come late, get raped? Hell, let's look at some Pent-situations at dm3. That clock sure did change the game so that it's too easy now noskill etc.

I'm not denying progress, but as I said before this is not progress, or wait, maybe you consider making the game a lot easier (the characteristics of it) an improvement?
You yourself said that it allows people to FOCUS on important aspects of the game like tactics, strategy, teamplay. I think this could not have been more ironic. Reading death messages is part of STRATEGY AND TEAMPLAY, actually, I'd risk saying that it's part of tactics aswell. You don't get to know everything from your teammates if you don't keep track of the console messages. I think any EXPERIENCED Quake player will agree with this statement. And it happens to make an important aspect of the game a lot easier, which in fact ruins the 'not touching gameplay' rule, that's deep in the developer's heads.

I appreciate ideas like that, we need a mindstorm to make QW better, but this won't make it better.

Woosh
2006-11-06, 15:07
68 posts

May 2006
omg it just helps ppl to see teamchat more clearly ffs !!! dont we all lose important teamchat msgs bc console keep spamming 2 lines death msgs ??? and why every change has to be followed by a desperate apocaliptic prophet´s reply like "omg this will ruin everything" or "NOO the world will end now" and even "WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST !!" nothing against anyone, but this is a senseless over reacting...

as said before, fb skins are so more serious than that and ppl dont give a crap, so... keep em comming i love this newfeature... and btw i requested this AEONS ago, thx very much someone coded it =]
2006-11-06, 16:01
284 posts

Oct 2006
goqsane wrote:
niomic wrote:
goqsane wrote:
...me...

I'm not denying progress, but as I said before this is not progress, or wait, maybe you consider making the game a lot easier (the characteristics of it) an improvement?
You yourself said that it allows people to FOCUS on important aspects of the game like tactics, strategy, teamplay. I think this could not have been more ironic. Reading death messages is part of STRATEGY AND TEAMPLAY, actually, I'd risk saying that it's part of tactics aswell. You don't get to know everything from your teammates if you don't keep track of the console messages. I think any EXPERIENCED Quake player will agree with this statement. And it happens to make an important aspect of the game a lot easier, which in fact ruins the 'not touching gameplay' rule, that's deep in the developer's heads.

I appreciate ideas like that, we need a mindstorm to make QW better, but this won't make it better.

Woosh

What I meant by focusing was how you utilize the information. Probably most ppl who play qw are atleast semi-literate, so reading shouldn't be a problem. The fact that all the messages are now mushed into a big mess up top isn't something I consider a natural difficulty in the game - it's just a limitation of what games were like and many still are today. I rather see ppl get as much information as easily as possible and then see what they DO with that information, especially as a team. And I'm not talking about knowing enemy locations, status etc.
2006-11-06, 20:52
355 posts

Jun 2006
So fullbright skins, hud customization, picmip settings, weapon scripts, a crapload of other insanely odd config CVARs and binds are all allowed but this should not be? Someone explain that logic to me without using an arguement that can be refuted simply by mention of the aforementioned features.

/me waits for goqsane to respond
2006-11-06, 22:11
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Try to defend your position with not looking back on the already accepted features. For gameclock, fullbright skins, everything else, there were always actual needs, reasons and community "feeling" about it. No scheme was followed. Do not compare this feature to others. This feature is special, it doesn't fully equal to any other existing feature.
I think latest goqsane's and niomi's posts are the only ones here that acutally touched some point.

It's simple to me. It's been reported that high div players don't have any benefit from this feature. Also it's confirmed that low div players have problems reading all the stuff in game. Assuming we do want to touch something in the game, is the reading skill of frag messages not important in overall player skill so it can passed by? Do we want to make the skill distance between divisions shorter in this particular gaming aspect? This question is not general, it applies only to this only one feature!
2006-11-06, 23:17
67 posts

Apr 2006
well.. how about mm3? there are some clans using that.. and that MUUUUUUUUCH "better" if you know what i mean.. mm2 will never beat that.. so... if we dont have this.. why would be have mm3? you can even say exacly where the enemy is with mm3.. but mm2.. only where the loc says where u are.. comprende?
2006-11-06, 23:23
383 posts

Jan 2006
IMO, its a cheat.
Its GREAT skill a read messages in right way.
So, those custom messages makes qw easy.
With best wishes, B1aze.
2006-11-06, 23:26
383 posts

Jan 2006
phrenic wrote:
vegetous wrote:

You truly thinks this will make you a better player?
- you aim better
- you run faster
- you dodge faster
- and god damn you shaft nearly 75% with this featurure! !! 2131!"#!! !
seeing almost every pixel running drawflat and you won't miss a shell box!

Love this feature, keep it coming!

So, lets play with separate timers for q, pent, weapons and armors.
With best wishes, B1aze.
2006-11-06, 23:27
383 posts

Jan 2006
And, of course, lets play with radar.
With best wishes, B1aze.
2006-11-06, 23:32
1754 posts

Jan 2006
ye let's fill our screen with 100 pieces of shit B1aze, that would help everyone
I think this will help newcomers more than experienced players like yourself B1aze, don't put a cheat-stamp on this feature just yet
2006-11-07, 00:10
192 posts

Mar 2006
B1aze wrote:
IMO, its a cheat.
Its GREAT skill a read messages in right way.
So, those custom messages makes qw easy.

Its understandable that Hardcore Quakers ( like you ) abandon everything that helps newbs to improve themself a little faster then you B1aze and finally kicks the crap out of you.
Its understandable, but I was (or still am) a newb and this game lives because of new ppl, so dont make their lives harder only because you needed e.g. 4 years to play it decently.
  62 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page