User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2006-10-24, 23:49
4 posts

Oct 2006
Hey - everyone. I've been a member of the MegaTF community (we're over at another, less frequented forum) for longer than I can remember (started before I could drive, I've now move out, married, and had a daughter - has it really been that long?).

Anyways, I've kept tabs on your forum here for the past few months yet never joined. I thought I would register and let you guys know of a project I am working on: QWSpy - A QuakeWorld Search Engine.

Check it out at http://www.qw.gibthis.com/. The spider's currently visit these websites (and I'd be happy to add any others you think are deserving):
ezquake.sourceforge.net/* - Tagged: Downloads
quaddicted.com/* -Tagged: Downloads
equake.quakeworld.nu/* - Tagged: Downloads
quakeboards.rmcd.net/* - Tagged: Forums
backblast.com/blueprints/* - Tagged: Mapping
besmella-quake.com/*
challenge-tv.com/*
quakeservers.net/*
duelmania.net/*
qw.fragzone.com/*
nqr.nu/*
quakeworld.nu/*
quakeworld.nu/forum/* - Tagged: Forums

I'd love to hear your opinions on the engine, any other sites you believe should be added, or if you can think of tags that would apply to these other sites. The tags are used to refine your search a little bit more - so if you go searching for Tech Support and you meant a forum, and not Tech Support for ezQuake, you could refine your search to the forums (which would then be graded higher than non-forum tagged sites).
2006-10-25, 06:57
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Seems nice and quite accurate for the few things i searched for. Maybe http://www.qwdrama.com should be in there too. Some more sites could be found in the useful links thread.

It's a nice initiative, keep up the work!
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-10-25, 09:15
4 posts

Oct 2006
Thanks for the heads-up on qwdrama.com - I just added that site as well as their wiki.

The wiki is a nice piece of work there - not a whole lot of resident information, but a ton of links. I'm working on getting more software loaded in - so a search for a specific client will be top-notch, directly to their page.
2006-10-25, 09:55
1754 posts

Jan 2006
cool search-engine man! nice work
2006-10-25, 10:17
48 posts

Jul 2006
good work!
2006-10-25, 12:37
247 posts

Jan 2006
great work !!
2006-10-26, 03:15
85 posts

May 2006
nice!
2006-10-26, 05:48
4 posts

Oct 2006
Thanks guys - I'm wondering if anyone has actually put it to the test, with some valid searches when they were trying to find some information. How did it work?

I am currently working on design a true-blue user interface for it (rather than simply styling Google's interface) - I'll be sure to keep you informed.
2006-10-26, 10:43
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Searched for

Qizmo - Good result, qwdrama's thorough guide among the top results
European Quake League - Gave our site as #1 and the qw.nu EQL forum as #2
Brightskins - No good match i think, not even on "download brightskins" which i'd search for if i needed em.
eQuake - Ok
fQuake - Loads of threads and stuff but not linking to any real download location, should be http://fquake.llamah.se/
Lakerman - ok

argh, not much info but anyway i think it finds most of the stuff it's supposed to find.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-10-26, 15:27
4 posts

Oct 2006
Thanks for that Ake - that's definitely the kind of stuff I need.

The fQuake site has been added so the fQuake sites comes in at #3 for a search of "fQuake." Unofortunately, the fQuake site has very little Pagerank in the eyes of Google and the qwdrama and quakeworld.nu sites come up in the #1 and #2 slots.

Although a search for fQuake and the refining your search to "Downloads" places the fQuake site in the right spot.

But yeah - thanks again. Not knowing what sort of things people are wanting to search it's hard to know which sites to add (as well as not knowing the URL for every single QW site out there). Replies like this really help in getting new sites added to the spider.
  10 posts on 1 page  1