User panel stuff on forum
  12 posts on 1 page  1
Advanced Configuration
2006-10-13, 19:40
87 posts

Oct 2006
Hi,

Can someone explain the claim that enabling vsynch supposedly adds input lag?

Regards...
2007-01-05, 14:28
35 posts

Mar 2006
well, i can't, but surely you notice it?? unless your gfx drivers force it always on or off, when you won't notice any difference by toggling vid_vsync.
winners don't lose frogs
2007-01-05, 16:19
87 posts

Oct 2006
miarf wrote:
well, i can't, but surely you notice it?? unless your gfx drivers force it always on or off, when you won't notice any difference by toggling vid_vsync.

Well no, I can't feel any difference on or off. But I am pretty sensitive to network lag where I can pretty much feel a difference between 10 and 20ms lag. I also know that -depending on implemented technique- tripple buffering *may* induce a two-frame delay in some cases. So the question remains if these are issues with the QW clients.

/PaRa
2007-01-08, 21:05
85 posts

May 2006
someone will explain it eventually, but there is definitely a delay. youll notice it when you go to shaft someone. unless ur still a noob. then u wont notice shit.
2008-04-28, 17:15
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
bump

uho, here's some answer

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928593

i hope its on time to satisfy paradizer's curiosity at least
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2008-04-28, 17:26
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Problem with vsync is that the image waits in the memory until finally your HW displays it. The time the image lies in there is the "lag". Latest ezQuake 1.9 stable contains a fixes (cl_vsync_lag_fix) this behavior - rendering of the frame is started in such a time so that it typically ends close to the moment when it's drawn on your display.
2008-04-30, 08:16
253 posts

Nov 2007
at the weekend i had an HDD crash just reinstalled windows and yesterday my qw was so laggy that i can't play normally at all. not continuously, but sometimes a have hard lag.

i would like to solve the way that i don't use vsync because the movement is far better for me without vsync but when i turn it off the screen is a little bit waving while i use low fps (120 as my monitor freq is also 120hz). when i increase the fps for example 360 the waving is disappear. i tought it will be good. started to play a short ffa to warm up, but after 6min i ran into a strong lag for 10 sec. fps even dropped down to around 60. after 10sec it turned back to normal. vsync also turned off in windows and tribblebuffering is enabled.
cl_physfps 77
cl_independentPhysics 1

what the hell could be the problem? (notice: qw not reinstalled, just copied from the last system)

what value would be good for sys_highpriority and sys_yieldcpu ?

command line is: ezquake-gl.exe -width 1024 -height 768 -freq 120 -snoforceformat -m_smooth -dinput
cheat 2 win!
2008-05-01, 11:06
253 posts

Nov 2007
ok. i used now accelfix.exe and decrease mouserate to 500hz. turn on vsync and tripplebuffer and also on vsync lag fix in 1.9ezquake.
now after every 15sec i have a 5fps drop. if my monitor freq and maxfps both are 120 it drops down to 115, if both are for example 160 then fps drops down to 155 for a sec ( please somebody help me! I'm goin' crazy
cheat 2 win!
2008-05-08, 08:54
253 posts

Nov 2007
Still not good, however i reinstalled windows (XP), make a partititon only for quake and a brand new nquake install on it...
fucking disturbing phenomena...
yesterday while i was watching Bronze cup final fps was good for the two hours. but in the moment after when i started to play myself maxfps started to drops with 5fps for a sec in about every halfminutes.
Help me guys!! I wold like to play again, not just watch demos!
cheat 2 win!
2008-05-08, 09:48
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
I suggest you to make a brand new thread in the help section, describing exactly what you did after you reinstall xp (programs installed, patches applyed, etc)
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2008-05-08, 11:37
Administrator
334 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:
However, triple-buffered VSync really is the key to the best experience as you eliminate tearing without the downsides of normal VSync (unless you consider the fact that your FPS is capped a downside... which is silly because you can't see an FPS higher than your refresh anyway).

ehh.. I _FEEL_ a huge difference between 75fps and 500fps, eventhough the screen won't show more cause of the refresh rate.. but the feeling is still different which is what matters.
So I feel that this subject from the before mentioned link has not totally disclosed the effect of vsync/fps/refresh rates.
ready!
2008-05-10, 01:38
1329 posts

Apr 2006
ParadokS wrote:
ehh.. I _FEEL_ a huge difference between 75fps and 500fps, eventhough the screen won't show more cause of the refresh rate.. but the feeling is still different which is what matters.

That's because there is difference. You are talking about more than 10ms difference between the two fps and of course this affects both on the things you see on the screen (especially if you have CRT but even TFTs look smoother at high fps) and on the things the engine/input internally does.
Servers: Troopers
  12 posts on 1 page  1