User panel stuff on forum
  61 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page
General Discussion
2006-09-24, 01:08
4 posts

Sep 2006
Today i was watching television with my dad, and there was a lame news article about the "eletronic games scene" and how it was turning into a real job with ppl earning money, when it said "Some prizes reach the 9 millions". My first thought was "If i could change all my wasted years playing QW for CS...". And my first will was go to a lanhouse and keep playing CS, but CS is too boring and newb. Then my dad asked "hey, you play this kind of 'games' so much, why dont you try this?"

I felt very embarrassed and sorry for myself, trying to find words to explain him (he doesnt know shit about FPS) but in the end i just kept myself shut up and go to my room.

Now i was wondering here, why the heck is QuakeWorld so fucking dead? QuakeWorld is probably the best and most challengeful game, that requires more skill of the player.

While Counter Strike is becoming each day more and more larger with bigger prizer, QW is becoming more dead and forgotten. And we all know it dont deserve this.

Its sad to see so much gifted and skilled players earning nothing

I just simple cant accept this situation, its so sad, this is time for some major efforts, i know its a miracle, but you all guys are fucking superb, and i am sure we can do something about that..
2006-09-24, 11:06
1026 posts

Feb 2006
you will probably get answers like: "we dont need money in our leagues..", "money ruins whatever and whatever bla bla bla"
god damn hippies >_<
2006-09-24, 11:26
1435 posts

Jan 2006
QuakeWorld is hard to watch.
This can be changed.

BTW, your post sounds really sad. Are you really so sad about all those years you've spent playing this game? Why the heck did you play it then? :-)
2006-09-24, 14:18
129 posts

Mar 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
QuakeWorld is hard to watch.

To true, most of ma mates get motion sickness when watching me play. biggest complait is it's too fast imo that's one of it's greatest plus points!
Wheeeeeee!!
2006-09-24, 17:21
89 posts

Mar 2006
Aquashark wrote:
you will probably get answers like: "we dont need money in our leagues..", "money ruins whatever and whatever bla bla bla"

what the fuck? You are wrong.
2006-09-24, 17:27
89 posts

Mar 2006
The main reason is probably the very small player base. QW scene has nothing to offer to the "sponsors" or to whoever who pays the prize money. The game itself doesnt offer anything for sponsors or to whoever pays the prize money. Thats about it. No new hardware, nonexistent advertisement value = 0 interest.

just my 2 cents
2006-09-24, 18:22
1026 posts

Feb 2006
what about CS 1.6 ?
why do sponsors waste money on a game with outdated graphics?
god damn hippies >_<
2006-09-24, 22:25
637 posts

Jan 2006
because it's being played by shitloads of players? 8)

and QW is too fast. 'It can be changed', nope, no way. My friend was really getting sick of watching QW, way to o fast. QW is for the elites I believe, nothing will change it. All your whine won't change a single bit
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2006-09-24, 22:36
108 posts

Jan 2006
money ruins whatever and whatever
Spell "mogul," Bateman. How do you spell mogul? M-o-g-u-l. Mo-gul. Mog-ul. Ice, ghosts, aliens-
2006-09-24, 23:06
89 posts

Mar 2006
Aquashark wrote:
what about CS 1.6 ?
why do sponsors waste money on a game with outdated graphics?

Like 500k players eh? They see the potential advirtisement value? Did you think they just run around and throw around free cash.
2006-09-24, 23:19
1026 posts

Feb 2006
yes mr. obvious

i was merely suggesting that there are a lot more factors at stake
qw isn't mainstream and never will be.

and my first post was a bad ironic prediction, not really my oppinion
god damn hippies >_<
2006-09-25, 02:31
4 posts

Sep 2006
No no, thats not possible, i undesrtand you all, but there must be a way

What IF every qw player donate like $10 dollar (i am sure it will not be problem for anyone), and start doing good prize champs? It would draw some attention for the QW scene
2006-09-25, 07:34
1026 posts

Feb 2006
this might be a short term solution
god damn hippies >_<
2006-09-25, 07:58
1754 posts

Jan 2006
that's approxiamtely 70SEK and I'm NOT willing to "donate" that much for qw, sorry..
2006-09-25, 08:00
637 posts

Jan 2006
sad annonymous wrote:
No no, thats not possible, i undesrtand you all, but there must be a way

What IF every qw player donate like $10 dollar (i am sure it will not be problem for anyone), and start doing good prize champs? It would draw some attention for the QW scene

In this world noone outside of that kind of community would pay $10 to join a prize tournament. Also, noone would EVER join a tournament (I mean someone who recently started the game) as there are many veteran players who simply outplay everyone by their experience.
This is just like doom2, they think it's dead but still quite some people play it. You won't change anything with $10 prizes as it's really not going to change a thing . I see hope only in one way, which is highly impossible but still, who knows, there might be former Quaker businessmans willing to help us out ;P
2006-09-25, 14:42
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
Peppe wrote:
that's approxiamtely 70SEK and I'm NOT willing to "donate" that much for qw, sorry..

Whine.... i'm not saying that we should all donate $10, but saying that you're not willing/can't afford it, sounds a bit unappreciated, what about all the people that have been donating to the scene for the past years?

Like the besmella guys who has been paying for domains and hosting for like 5-6 years.
Gaz thats paying for hosting of the qw.nu network, nqr, etc.
And then there is those who is hosting qw servers on connections/servers they have paid for them selves.

What i mean is, there is alot of ppl donating alot more to qw than the 10 dollars that you are whining about, and thats not including all the time and effort some put into keeping qw running.

I remember "donating" $115 for the quakeworld.nu domain last time it needed renewal, dunno if i'm willing to donate that much the next time.
2006-09-25, 16:00
793 posts

Feb 2006
what's there to be sad about?
we have
a) the beautiful game, maybe the best (fps) ever created. we can play whenever we want to.
b) a big enough playerbase to have matches, even leagues going. plus we have ppl running stuff in the background (developers, coders, organizers... peeps like zalon that are even willing to pay actual money) to keep things evolving
c) what we don't have is a huge mainstream scene with all the fuck ups that come with it (corporations, advertisements, cs lamers). generally speaking very few people play qw. i love that fact. it's not-mainstream and it's *cool*. most players grew up playing quake, the playerbase may be small but it's relaxed and mature.
in conclusion i would say fuck the professional cyber athlete league.

(btw i'm not saying that qw should remain unpopular or even "die", if great things should happen to qw let them happen, i was just trying to answer to sad anon)

edit: read the thread, agree with lib, at least in the context of qw
2006-09-25, 18:44
4 posts

Sep 2006
Zalon wrote:
Peppe wrote:

Whine.... i'm not saying that we should all donate $10, but saying that you're not willing/can't afford it, sounds a bit unappreciated, what about all the people that have been donating to the scene for the past years?

Like the besmella guys who has been paying for domains and hosting for like 5-6 years.
And then there is those who is hosting qw servers on connections/servers they have paid for them selves.

What i mean is, there is alot of ppl donating alot more to qw than the 10 dollars that you are whining about, and thats not including all the time and effort some put into keeping qw running.

I remember "donating" $115 for the quakeworld.nu domain last time it needed renewal, dunno if i'm willing to donate that much the next time.

Yeah, what bother me too is this. I dont know what exactly country you goes live, how the economic situation is, but i am sure that in any place you live $10 dollar is nothing, if anyone say that he cannot afford $10 dollar each 3 months he is definitely LYING!

And its so little for anyone thats its completely affordable, and if anyone donates, it will make so MUCH difference...
2006-09-25, 19:02
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Zalon wrote:
Peppe wrote:

ok and remember I'm an 18-year old student living with parents etc..
I'm not willing to pay that kind of cash because I can still play quakeworld and have fun.. like dEus said
I ofcourse can too give cred to gaz and all the besmellians paying for hosting etc but it's not like I have the right income for doing that, don't think less of me because I don't want to pay for a league in a game that is more or less free..
since I'm as far as I've read the only one saying this you mean just me or everyone else that hasn't given a penny for the qw-community don't appreciate the work that some pull for this to get together?
I mean listen, we(myself and others) try to put up a big get-together for quakeworld-players across Europe and is that not worth anything for those who don't show up? it's still a big tourney and event for the euro qw-scene every year..
even if I didn't pay $115, I busted my ass several times to carry monitors and fridges so we can keep qhlan running...
2006-09-25, 19:04
1754 posts

Jan 2006
I could probably afford it "sad annonymous" but am I _willing_ to do it? probably not, and I don't think most people are either..
2006-09-25, 21:03
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
We already had the entrance-fee-discussion and i think it's a good idea as long as all tournaments doesn't require such fees (which of course they won't)! About QW not being in the CPL...well, i don't really know why it's not. It's not like Q3 has such a very much bigger scene than QW (they recently switched back from Q4 to Q3 as their world tour game or something). I think that the lack of modern Quakeworld experience among all gaming crews among the world has an impact really. They're too unfamiliar with the game which will make setting up tournaments a pain.

I think that if we're going somewhere with money tournaments then we'll have to do it by ourselves, as always with QW.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-09-25, 23:54
59 posts

Mar 2006
Well you have to understand that the CPL is an organization that is interested in generating profit and not in hosting tournaments for the best/most competetive games. You cannot sell the newest hardware with a game as old as QW and the playerbase is just not large enough to get other sponsors interested like in CS.
2006-09-27, 19:15
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Apollyon (and maybe others) basically answered this question (although there was a successfull CPL 4 Year for QW -- 1000+ specs), but I go into an in-depth answer here: http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=914304
2006-09-28, 18:30
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Apollyon wrote:
Well you have to understand that the CPL is an organization that is interested in generating profit and not in hosting tournaments for the best/most competetive games. You cannot sell the newest hardware with a game as old as QW and the playerbase is just not large enough to get other sponsors interested like in CS.

What applies to Quakeworld also applies to Quake 3 Arena as that game is kind of outdated too, yet they decided to use Quake 3 for their World Tour this year and stuff because Quake 4 just won't do the trick with the lack of (spectator) features and stuff (bugs). I think Quakeworld just seems strange to them, they don't know that it's still developed, that there's still a scene aaand they think that it's (very) "imbalanced" (ever since Q3 all games must have weapons that are almost equally strong for some reason).

But anyway, imagine if Quakeworld were to be played in CPL tournaments - what would the tournaments look like? Wasn't the last CPL tournament (where Harlsom and Fatality entered, among others) kinda mongo with alot of restrictions on what settings they could use? Can't remember if it was brightskins or weaponscripts, but it was something essential for Quakeworld that players couldn't use. Quakeworld just isn't their cup of tea and we're better of by ourselves as we can make up the rules then.
2006-09-29, 08:03
637 posts

Jan 2006
they surely know about the scene, and that's why, there's no QW CPL
2006-09-29, 09:27
1754 posts

Jan 2006
let's just spam crazy about duelmania semifinals and finals on different gaming-forums, that might wake some people into quakeworld
2006-09-29, 11:38
247 posts

Jan 2006
great idea, but w8....hm.....we need to start new duelmania first
2006-09-29, 12:54
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
well why don't all you swedes just crash dreamhack and set up a qw tourney, with 10000 attenders, it should not be a problem to get atleast 500 spectating
2006-09-29, 13:10
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Zalon wrote:
well why don't all you swedes just crash dreamhack and set up a qw tourney, with 10000 attenders, it should not be a problem to get atleast 500 spectating

Actually i've been thinking about it, seeing as i even live in Jonkoping it would be perfect.
2006-09-29, 13:48
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
I think that working with large lan parties is a better way to go, than dreaming about the cpl, as that is more likely to happen.

If we could set up qw tournaments at the big lans, it might get the qw scene more attention than keeping it all to ourselves at a qw-only lan.

But we would need a free qw pack, as we can't have this warez shit hanging over our heads. I think that if we start handing out warez quake at lan parties to get ppl to play, we would end up being very unpopular.

So i guess that we can't hold tourneys with dm2/dm4/dm6, atleast not outside of the current qw scene.
  61 posts on 3 pages  First page123Last page