User panel stuff on forum
  4 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2006-08-24, 02:32
18 posts

Aug 2006
Well, currently im running my G5 without any drivers installed... Is this a good idea??

I have the mouse set to 800dpi, and patched to 1000hz, it feels alright, but i feel like there is something missing, my aim has been much better before, and im wondering if im doing something wrong.

Are there newer better drivers for the G5? if so what are the best advanced settings for it...

Is there a proggy where i can monitor my mouse to see if its actually running at 1000hz, or if i should go back to 500hz where it's more stable..

I just want the best possible settings for my mouse, so i can have the best ability to aim consistently..

This could be something to benifit alot of people, please everyone post if you know for sure the better settings..
2006-08-24, 16:28
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
hi immy

here's the mouse rate checker
http://tscherwitschke.de/download.html

if u dont get an average close to 1000, i suggest u change to 500hz, even if that mouse prolly has the 500hz/s by default.
i also suggest that u change the 800 dpi to at least 1600

the drivers with these new mice may have something to do with it also, if it was an "old" mouse i suggested that u keep the os driverless.

u can always ask your teammates dude
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2006-08-24, 17:32
226 posts

Jun 2006
I know this is coming from a novice quaker, but make sure you have the latest drivers from the logitech website for that mouse. I have the same one, and I know others that have updated to the latest drivers and it fixed a variety of tracking issues. Also, it seems to me, that a cloth mouse pad works best with this mouse. It may be personal preference though. As for the mouse rate, I have mine set to 1000hz but it doesn't keep a steady polling rate, and I'm thinking of turning it back down to 500hz because that is steady. My mousepad is a big cloth pad I bought at Office Depot (AllSop Raindrop) pad. Hope this helps.
--irc.quakenet.org #telefrag.me and #QWL | foogsQuakeWorld Ladder
2006-08-24, 17:39
85 posts

May 2006
this is always difficult to explain to people, even face to face.. so ill do my best.

the most important thing is the settings in windows, in particular pointer speed. depending on what you are using - things like USB Hz, dinput, 77fps or 154fps (recommended to use multiples of 77 for more stable ping and physics), etc - different pointer speeds give different degrees of accuracy in quake. some settings are close to un-usable. For me, i like to be able to turn reasonably far without having to drag my wrist at all, slow enough to be accurate and smooth with my tracking/movements, and reactive enough to flick onto targets as quickly as i am able to. these are the parameters i work with, and when setting up a new mouse i just tinker with pointer speed/quake sensitivity until i get a nice balance of all these things, with hopefully nice direct flicks for rl aim. some settings work better than others for this... this is what i use with my G5 anyway:

ezquake-gl @ 154fps, 75hz (i want 77 damnit).
500hz (its stable).
-dinput (feels more direct).
setpoint driver (for button programming), set to OS implementation (seems to always feel nicer).
2000 dpi (more power is better).
pointer speed set to 3 (2 down from default, default being smack bang in the middle).
sensitivity 1.75.

Now it may suck for a while, but the best thing to do is experiment.. change shit, play abit.. change shit again, play some more.. see what happens over time. some settings work better than others. but when you change pointer speed, be sure to reset before loading quake again... ive set it up nicely before only to reset and come back to a completely wierd feeling mouse. :/ also, i would use -dinput. some people rekn they dont need it but maan.. to me it feels spastic without it.

edit: OH almost forgot, make sure you update to the latest firmware, 1.1! when i first plugged mine in i shit myself as it was skipping horribly on my clothpad. gg laser technology.
  4 posts on 1 page  1