User panel stuff on forum
  19 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2006-01-22, 18:31
248 posts

Jan 2006
Could someone make a sticky with stuff that needs to be done in quakeworld!? There are a lot of ppl that are skilled in various areas of computer/technology that can help with a lot of stuff! I dont know what needs to be done, but perhaps someone that knows that can make a list.

It could be like, ppl needed for admins/writers. Ppl needed for htmlwork, someone to write code (like kteams, servers, protocolls, programs for routing, clients), hosters, money, gfx ppl (like speciall themes for conback/charsets, gfx integration in to clients), documentation (client/server, guides, translation), quakeworld wiki..... well, i dont know what i am talking about, still if there is something that needs to be done i think someone could write a list and make that a sticky!

The community needs YOU! (and someone that tells what needs to be done)
2006-01-22, 18:34
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Okej, i have the most obvious one right here: volunteer coders for quakeworld.nu. :twisted:
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-01-22, 18:36
86 posts

Jan 2006
right!

i think we need a qw.nu back
just the domain did much
/tumult
2006-01-22, 18:37
86 posts

Jan 2006
i can code !
dont know about how much time i got
/tumult
2006-01-22, 18:38
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:
i can code !
dont know about how much time i got

Then go and talk to Paradoks if you are serious about it. There is a design, but no PHP-code.
2006-01-22, 18:41
86 posts

Jan 2006
[SR]Paraway

omg
/tumult
2006-01-22, 20:14
43 posts

Jan 2006
I posted this idea on another thread, this would take some work to fill out but anyone who has other game experience could work on it:
http://nqr.esports-zone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
maybe i'll start a thread just for this. also, i have no idea where'd it go once it was all done:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a great idea that's never been done before!

We all know that probably 95 percent of QuakeWorld converts are coming from other games which they are probably good at. The hardest thing in starting qw is getting your cfg customized. It takes months or years! But how about a headstart for some people who already know some cmds for their game.

I suggest a series of charts that allow players from other games to quickly find the cmd they know how to use already but don't know the name or syntaxt. For Example

QW.......................................Q3
-----------------------------------------------------------------
sensitivity..............................sensitivity
name....................................name
fov........................................cg_fov
enemyskin / enemycolor.........cg_enemymodel / cg_enemycolors
etc

I really think this would make qw more accessible to a lot of people.
Perhaps their could be whole guides devoted to Q3 -> QW or UT2k4 -> QW etc
thoughts?
2006-01-22, 21:07
447 posts

Jan 2006
That's a great idea. Some people post their complete configs, along with comments on almost every line (very important) so new players can both get up and going quickly, and get a decent understanding of the commands used in a config. Keeping QW alive requires new blood, since many oldsch00l0rz have turned to WoW or similar, but lesser evils. [/i]
Teamplay is nothing. Aim is everything. OBEY YOUR AIM

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg
2006-01-22, 22:25
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
The main thing required to start on the Q3 -> QW converter would be some kind of interface i guess, be it a wiki, custom application or whatever. Then some volunteers of course. But it would be easier to really get things going if someone came up with an idea on how to start the whole thing.
2006-01-23, 19:20
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
ok thats a nice idea. mm imo, the most EASY way to do this is like post some fuhq configs with default keys binded. (i think my config is quite easy, only 3 mouse buttons to choose weapons and fire)

so,
1. post some fuhQ configs, different in essence (what do i mean by this?*)
2. explain how to REBIND the binds to the defined alias
3. example on put the config in the correct directory and executing it in-game

4. list and explain the most common "commands" in qw configs. like impulse, wait, blabla to give newbies something to start on making their own config

(*) taking the example of my cfg, it has binded mouse keys to alias, that will choose the weapon and fire (all mouse buttons fire). one different type of config would be: choose weapon in binded keys (ex. R for rocket) and fire with mouse1.
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2006-01-23, 19:28
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
graphics.qw.nu
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2006-01-23, 20:41
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
wiki.quakeworld.nu would be nice aswell?
2006-01-23, 20:43
248 posts

Jan 2006
quakeworld.nu would be nice at all...
2006-01-23, 21:00
447 posts

Jan 2006
Pessimist. :<
Teamplay is nothing. Aim is everything. OBEY YOUR AIM

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg
2006-01-23, 21:30
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Those QW->Q3 things are useless unless you want to stick to "THE ONLY ONE" client, which is always bad idea killing whole QW (although ppl from qw.nu will tell you it's bullshit, of course).
Things like name, sensitivity, brightness, mouse binds .. Come on, you can find those in menus! Yes, FOV and enemycolor is missing in ezQuake and it REALLY should be there.
But MQWCL / FTE / ezQuake / *XYZquake* have all different scripting languages. And even those basic bind/alias techniques are already in ezQuake documentation, I'd welcome if you visit it and give me some feedback.
Hangman wasn't talking about this. Try to think about other things in QW than those silly confing. Why there are no QuakeTVs around even though working server+quaketv builds are here since Sep2005?

In my opinion there is a high lack of writers, spreading the word of new things happening in QW so if someone wants to start something new, the only thing that keeps him up is his own motivation + feedback of some few friends that know about his work. And that kills QW again.
There's no TO-DO list which will make QW perfect. There will always be things to improve.
2006-01-23, 21:34
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:
There's no TO-DO list which will make QW perfect. There will always be things to improve.

you can say that about anything in life, though

a todo list is not meant to make something perfect, it's meant to make something better

and we should strive to make qw better, right?
2006-01-23, 21:38
248 posts

Jan 2006
so, who takes on the job to write a todolist?
2006-01-23, 21:56
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Empezar: I agree. But people will always do things they enjoy, not the things someone pushed them to do.
If there's something that kills this, it's when noone cares of their work - QW needs newswriters. Sure, make a to-do list, but don't pretend it's gonna save the world.

Hangman: as for ezQuake - we need GFX coder
2006-01-23, 22:00
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Quote:
Those QW->Q3 things are useless unless you want to stick to "THE ONLY ONE" client, which is always bad idea killing whole QW (although ppl from qw.nu will tell you it's bullshit, of course).
Things like name, sensitivity, brightness, mouse binds .. Come on, you can find those in menus! Yes, FOV and enemycolor is missing in ezQuake and it REALLY should be there.
But MQWCL / FTE / ezQuake / *XYZquake* have all different scripting languages. And even those basic bind/alias techniques are already in ezQuake documentation, I'd welcome if you visit it and give me some feedback.
Hangman wasn't talking about this. Try to think about other things in QW than those silly confing. Why there are no QuakeTVs around even though working server+quaketv builds are here since Sep2005?

In my opinion there is a high lack of writers, spreading the word of new things happening in QW so if someone wants to start something new, the only thing that keeps him up is his own motivation + feedback of some few friends that know about his work. And that kills QW again.

You can narrow down the clients that needs a list like this to the clients that are allowed in the leagues and tournaments because of their reliability when it comes to security etc. From the beginning the list will probably be a pain in the arse to make, but then you come to a stage where you just have to add some commands every new release they (you? ) make and it will be quite comfortable to keep things going. When we're at that stage with the important clients (eZQuake, Fuhquake, FTE) then it's a good idea to start thinking about the other ones.
  19 posts on 1 page  1