User panel stuff on forum
  16 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2010-09-29, 13:20
6 posts

Sep 2010
Howdy,

I've visited these forums for a while but never really registered until now. I'm not new to quakeworld though, been playing on and off for the past 9 years or so, just for fun

Two weeks ago a player approached a m8 of mine and asked if he knew someone who could develop a qw demo site that could replace, even if for a short period of time, CHTV. I then started the negotiations and rounded up a small team to develop such project but, unfortunately, the deal went south.

I already made a layout for the site, and i think a good one too, it would be a shame to waste it and since CHTV is offline i could try to make a small demo repository so people could upload/download quakeworld(only) demos. My programing skills are a little rusty since i'm all about pixels, but i think i could make a pretty pre-historical demo repository for y'all

As for the hosting it would be a free 5gb plan + free domain, since i wouldn't have the funds to get a .com + paid host. Qw demos are small so i think it wont be a problem, i can't promise a good service at all times but i'll certainly try my best.

The question is if its worth doing such a site, i would like to hear your feedback on this.
It's not in my agenda to do any sort of harm to CHTV, i do hope it gets back online, i'm just wanting to help the community and ofc build something for my portfolio while i'm at it =)

edit: Also if anyone has mad php skills and a big host and wants the layout i would gladly hand it over.
ignorance is bliss.
2010-09-29, 14:21
76 posts

Oct 2009
5gb would not be enough for sure
2010-09-29, 14:30
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
* Disk space isn't expensive nowadays (you get like 1TB for 1000sek?) so that wouldn't be a problem as long as the connection and allowed data traffic from the host would be good enough.

* Site design looks slick and nice, we have no idea about usability though.

* Skip the news on the first site - make it a list of the latest uploaded demos instead as that's what people are coming there for.

* Please don't make the user logins mandatory. On CHTV it was possible to upload demos anonymously and while some people probably abused it, i don't think there would be nearly as many demos uploaded as if you would've been required to login.

* Skip the forum, it will end up empty anyway like every forum that's not on quakeworld.nu

* Focus on ease of use, order and a proper search function \o/

Edit: Do you have any website that shows the portfolio of yours?
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2010-09-29, 15:07
793 posts

Feb 2006
very slick layout
uhm.. go for it
2010-09-29, 15:44
119 posts

Sep 2007
i dont know who would be against it, do it ;p
2010-09-29, 18:08
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
I can do the code ez. (I did all the code, from ground-up, for the latest incarnation of CHTV)
2010-09-29, 18:08
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
Also consider getting hosting here http://www.hostway.com/small-business.html

100gb, unlimited bandwidth, $7 bux a month
2010-09-29, 20:36
6 posts

Sep 2010
Well glad to see everyone is on board with the idea...

Ake Vader: the forum and news sections were design for the project the client had in mind, but for this new purpose it would definitely not be necessary, at least for now. As for the logins, u're right and i'm actually thinking its a bad idea to have them at all, but i'll need to sort the uploaded demos every once in a while to remove unwanted trash. Regarding the portfolio, no, i dont have one yet, but i'm doing one . I design as a hobby, mostly 3d stuff and web-design, you can check my lastest project @ http://www.gameon.pt/joomla/ i did the logo, the background and some css its still a WIP though.

!phil: if this project goes forward i'll be glad to have you code the site, i'm still a programing newb D:. Also that hosting sure looks nice and low-cost, thanks for the tip =)

So it seems the only problem is having to pay for a host every month, witch currently is not an option cause i'm unemployed at the moment and though times approach :\

Also another concern of mine is having all this trouble and suddenly CHTV re-opens, but anyways i hope i get some income ( €€ ) next month and prolly i'll be stable enough to invest on a hosting plan and give this project a go, and if so i'll be contacting you !phil if you dont mind

Thanks to all for the feedback, i'm eager to start this as soon as money allows
ignorance is bliss.
2010-09-29, 22:21
119 posts

Sep 2007
not the end of the world if theres more than one qw demo site ;p
2010-09-30, 09:25
1435 posts

Jan 2006
As for the suggested hosting - http://www.quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=57663#p57663
2010-09-30, 10:10
6 posts

Sep 2010
thanks for the heads up JohnNy_cz, it really checked out. Most of them hosting plans wont really work to host such a site, which means moar money D:
ignorance is bliss.
2010-09-30, 12:03
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
It sounds like a good idea, but I have to be honest and say that your layout looks to fit a clan page much better than a big archive site atm from what is presented (i'm sure some tweaking can fix that).

I agree with Ake Vader, no news, no forum, just perhaps a "demo of the day/week".
If there should be an account system, then it should be connected to qw.nu accounts.

Just focus your work on what the actual purpose of the site is: To provide an easy way to find & download demos, and get information about them.
2010-09-30, 12:22
59 posts

Mar 2010
http://www.gameon.pt/joomla/ vs. http://www.gamespot.com/

:f
2010-09-30, 13:37
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
I can pay $10/mo or so for hosting a demo repository.
2010-09-30, 13:44
6 posts

Sep 2010
rlx: its a remake of the same template we bought, but we just wanted the base to start, you possibly don't know how hard it is to make a template from scratch <.< although gamespot staid quite faithful to the original template, we sure wont
ignorance is bliss.
2010-09-30, 13:48
59 posts

Mar 2010
Aha I see, got just instant feeling that I've seen this somewhere =)
  16 posts on 1 page  1