User panel stuff on forum
  58 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Off Topic
2009-06-16, 15:30
18 posts

Aug 2008
I was quite surprised not to find a previous thread about this, or mabye i'm just an incompetent searcher... Anyway, I'd like to hear which games you think are the best ones ever made. Release date is irrelevant, so don't give me shit like "Pong is the ultimate shit cause there were no better games at the time". The gaming industry has become really huge, so naturally none of us played all the games out there, but out of your experience, tell us what you think!

Here's my list, I divided it to Multiplayer and Single Player:

Single Player:

1. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
2. Mario 64 (N64)
3. Zelda 3 - A Link To The Past (SNES) - Still haven't played Twilight Princess for the Wii but this one will be tough to overcome.
4. Wave Race 64 (N64)
5. Blast Corps (N64) - This one is not well known, it is very original and the most challenging game i've ever played. As Quakers and serious gamers I strongly recommend picking this one up, great challenge.
6. Pilot Wings 64 (N64)
7. Super Mario Kart (SNES) - Need to check Wii's version as it's probably better.
8. Street Fighter 2 (All Platforms)
9. StarCraft (PC)
10. Punch-Out!! (Wii) - SNES version is great too.
11. Arkanoid 2: Revenge of Doh (Apple IIGS/Arcade) - Without doubt the best berakout game ever made. It has beautiful graphics, crazy powerups, awesome level designs and is insanely difficult. Maybe i should've given it a higher spot. Arkanoid 1 is almost as good. Get either IIGS version or Arcade (Mame), the rest are bad.

MultiPlayer:

1. Quakeworld (PC)
2. Starcraft (PC)
3. Super Mario Kart (SNES)- Again, need to check Wii's Version.
4. Street Fighter 2 (All Platforms)
5. Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)- This is insanely fun with 8 people.
6. NBA Hang Time (Arcade, N64, PlayStation, Mega Drive, SNES, Windows) - Basically an improved NBA Jam, which you all know.
7. Super Smash Brothers (N64) - Need to check Wii's version as it might be better.
8. Pro Evolution Soccer (All Platforms) - The new Wii version brings complete new controls and radically changes the gameplay of this game, giving you an amazing control of passing, shooting, and handling your teammates. This was always the best soccer game on any platform though, so I won't even pick a version.
9. Super Soccer (SNES) - not really known, this is actually more fun than PES/FIFA IMO.
10. Tecmo Bowl (NES)
11. Chess - Couldn't find a 10th game at first so I added this one. Then I noticed I only placed Street Fighter 2 in the Single Player list, it should definitely be here as well. Chess is a brilliant timeless game, a bit nerdy though :/

I tried not including games from the same series twice (or even the same type) and just pick the best one, the only exceptions here are Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy which are both just light years ahead and so much better than any other games I've played, so i had to.
I have not played any Playstation3 or Xbox 360 games so these lists might've been a bit different, a game like Gears Of War would probably fit in, although most of my favourite games are from the 90s anyway. Also, as you probably noticed, I am a nintendo fan and tend to like their games a lot more, I'll explain why:

Nintendo:
* Precise/Intuitive gameplay,
* Tight Controls,
* Lots of creativity and imagination in design, the games are funny and never appear too serious, although they are.
* Innovative gameplay ideas. I hate doing things i've done before, they always manage to surprise me and come up with new challenges.
* Beautiful, simple, sharp, and very colorful graphics. Never showing you more than you need to see on screen, only what matters. Admittedly, this generation, their system (Wii) is much weaker than the competition, the graphics are hardly any better than the last gen.
* Beautiful melodic music even if sometimes it's just in midi.
* The games are stragiht forward without annoying story lines (cut scenes + lots of text to read and all that shit).

In other words, Coolness

Sony, Microsoft and their 3rd parties:
* Incredibly detailed graphics with HD and all that fancy stuff in this gen (which I don't care that much for and many games are actually over detailed IMO, I like simplicity just like in QW). I can't deny though, that some games nowdays are visually mind blowing. Check out these video previews of Uncharted 2 from E3: #1 #2
* Epic story lines, cut scenes, texts, speeches. I find these extremely boring and nerdy.
* The games usually just mimic reality and lack any kind of creativity or "fun factor" in them *cough* Counter Strike. Seriously, Who wants to die after getting hit by 1 bullet or when falling from a high place? Who wants to move as slow as a human and always be bound to physics as we know them? Time to open your minds!
* Music is more about sounding good and being well produced rather than just being beautiful.
* The general feel of games (physics, character movement + controls) tends to be "floaty". you don't always feel in complete control and that everything's up to you. Many games also have scripted movements/animations, you just need to press a botton and your character will pull off crazy jumps or attacks which you have no control of, not much challenge or fun when that happens.

In other words, Ultra Nerdishness
(Yes, there are exceptions here and there...)
2009-06-16, 15:45
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Direct copypaste from my homepage:

TOP-10 PC-games of all time (updated 27.10.2008)

1. System Shock 2 (Looking Glass)
2. Deus Ex (Ion Storm)
3. GTA-series (gta3, vice city, san andreas) (Rockstar North)
4. Final Fantasy VII (SquareSoft)
5. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl (THQ)
6. Giants: Citizen Kabuto (Planet Moon Studios)
7. Star Control II (Accolade)
8. Far Cry 2 (Ubisoft)
9. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (White Wolf)
10. No One Lives Forever (Monolith)

Limited to pc-only titles. I could mention 8bit NES games since those are the games I've played the most but it's been 15 years since I last time touched NES, so I think it's best to leave them out of here. FC2 on that list is questionable, but I'll let it pass too, this time.
Servers: Troopers
2009-06-16, 16:35
370 posts

May 2006
Zelda: Link to a past
Quakeworld
Warcraft II
GTA Vice City
Worldcup (on the NES in 1988 or so)
Knights of the Old Replubic I & II
Command & Conquer: Red Alert
Custom maps for the show, episodes for the pro.
2009-06-16, 16:55
793 posts

Feb 2006
i can agree to Vloody's list including the general views and the stuff on nintendo. the only thing that i feel is missing is the mention of colonization/civilization series. or even strategy games in general (black&white, populous, c&c, warcraft). hmm you mentioned starcraft:/
also mario64 as one of the best is taking it a bit to far.

i'll get me an emulator and try blast corps
2009-06-16, 17:01
705 posts

Feb 2006
in no particular order:
deus ex
final fantasy VII
resident evil 4
silent hill
gran turismo 1
quakeworld
2009-06-16, 17:13
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
A draft list :p These are at least the games i've had the most fun with. I can't regard any singleplayer list that includes PSX/PS2/PS3 games but not the Metal Gear series as serious btw.

Singleplayer
- Metal Gear Solid 4
- Metal Gear Solid 3
- Metal Gear Solid 2
- Metal Gear Solid
- Contra 3: Alien Wars
- Diablo 2
- Command & Conquer Red Alert
- Resident Evil 1
- Resident Evil 2
- Deus Ex

Multiplayer
- Quakeworld (duh!)
- Total Annihilation (Too bad Starcraft received all the attention at the time. The revolutionary resource system was awesome along with some additional tools, like the demo recorder with all its features, that made the experience even better)
- Supreme Commander (The spiritual successor of Total Annihilation which kept the resource model and scaled things up even further.)
- Quake 3
- Starcraft BW (Although i can't play this shit myself, it has my respect :p)
- Rainbox Six: Vegas (Play this in coop and you'll know why )
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2009-06-16, 17:22
3 posts

Feb 2009
Quakeworld
Company of Heroes
Diablo II
Warcraft II
Starcraft
Wipeout (series)
Braid
Moonstone
2009-06-16, 17:27
485 posts

Feb 2006
Nethack
2009-06-16, 17:52
121 posts

May 2006
god. QuakeWorld
1. Half-Life 2 ( & expansion packs .. best fps singleplayer ever)
2. GTA IV
3. Resident Evil ( the first & best survivor horror)
4. Jedi Knight (I, II, III).
5. Call of Duty 4 - amazing single & multiplayer
6. Silent Hill 1 / Silent Hill 2
7. Street Fighter series
8. Final Fantasy VII
9. Left 4 Dead
10. Urban Terror ( the later independent version from the old q3mod : ioUrban Terror 4.1 )
. - - -- Words are stones in my Mouth.. -- - - . [url=http://profile.xfire.com/katataniel][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/2/katataniel
2009-06-16, 18:12
188 posts

May 2007
Street Fighter II Turbo
Mortal Kombat II
Secret of Mana
Ultima Online (How it was in 1998)
Legend of Zelda (NES)
Quakeworld
Super Mario Bros (NES)
The Amazing Spider-Man (Game Boy) (gave me my first but not last tenosynovitis)
Gargoyle's Quest (Game Boy)
There are a lot of other great games, but I think those would be the ones I'd play one more time before I die
2009-06-16, 18:27
398 posts

Feb 2006
There is only one game in my list and it's Quakeworld
2009-06-16, 20:54
1732 posts

Jan 2007
Vloody I miss you. :/
*** www.signedcmn.nl ***
2009-06-16, 22:06
398 posts

Feb 2006
am I not enough for you burrie?
2009-06-16, 22:25
705 posts

Feb 2006
hagge scores 1 point for the correct answer \o/
2009-06-17, 08:28
312 posts

Feb 2006
I enjoy quite many games so I'll post some and most likely forget more than I remember

-Fallout 1 & 2 are perhaps the most enjoyable games I've played
-Many LucasArts adventure games, like Monkey Islands, Sam&Max, DOTT etc
-ES: Morrowind I enjoyed quite much because I enjoy the fantasy-medieval stuff and it had huge amount of exploring and quests. Oblivion was nice too but I lost my save and didn't play it for too long
-KOTOR 1&2 are exceptionally good while I don't usually really care about the Star Wars mythology or the stuff around it
-Final Fantasy 7 & 9 are both very good, and they are actually the only ones I've played
-Football Managers are a great way of passing time, while not as action-packed as most games, it keeps you entertained to the point you get furious with AI breaking tactics or getting an inhuman injury list consisting of first-team players
-Heros of Might and Magic 2, 4 and 5 suit my casual sense of playing
-PES 5 and 6 are nice fast-paced not-too-realistic soccer games I've played, while PES 2009 isn't that good at all
2009-06-17, 09:47
News Writer
283 posts

Jan 2007
Basically listing all the games which I've gone / go out of my way to play occasionally:

QuakeWorld
The Settlers 1
Lemmings 2
Super Mario Kart
Hitman
Cannon Fodder
Sensible Soccer

Hmm, apparently nothing since ~2000...
2009-06-17, 10:30
Administrator
647 posts

Nov 2008
oh gee..

In no particular order or so, just games that pop up in my head;

First experiences:
Doom
Duke Nukem
Cybermage

All pretty much rocked!

Best games whatsofuckingever:

QuakeWorld
Quake 3
Starcraft
Diablo II
Final Fantacy VII & VIII
Zelda 1 (nintendo 8bits)
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo64)
Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
Super Mario 1&3 (nintendo 8bits)
Resident Evil 2 (playstation)
Age of Empires
Civilization 2
WarCraft Series (even WoW is great, can't stand playing it though but an incredible game)

Those are all games I've been terribly addicted to. And they all fucking rock

I CAN'T WAIT FOR:

Diablo III
StarCraft II

/andeh

PS. Seems to be lots of Starcraft fans out there, how about we team up some night at irc and play a small 6-8 player tourny at StarCraft BW, say map Lost Temple? Could be damn fun =)
2009-06-17, 11:01
125 posts

Jan 2008
Singleplayer: (These are atleast the games I think ive spent the most time playing over and over again)
1. Final Fantasy VII ( I could probably list a few more square titles, but that would make a boring list )
2. Diablo II (lvl 99 hardcore necromancer)
3. Metal Slug (The whole series)(arcade)
4. Grim Fandango (Has anyone else found this love?, from the same people as Curse of monkey island etc..)
5. House of the Dead 2 (arcade)(I haven't seen anyone with higher score than me in Sweden)

Multiplayer:
1. Quake (All that ive played)
2. Dark Age of Camelot
3. King of Fighters (arcade)
4. Starcraft
5. Return to castle Wolfenstein
2009-06-17, 11:43
188 posts

May 2007
riosatiy wrote:
5. Return to castle Wolfenstein

That was indeed a really great game. Sadly ET took all players away.
2009-06-17, 12:01
357 posts

Nov 2008
My personal favourites:
Multi:
Quakeworld
Crysis
Gears of wars

Single:
Tony Hawk's games
Super mario world (snes)
Chrono Trigger (snes)
Blood
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
2009-06-17, 12:40
253 posts

Nov 2007
Monkey island 1-3
Quake/Quakeworld
incubation + wilderness missions
Dungeon Keeper + deeper dungeons
Double dragon
Lotus
Icicle Works ( http://www.dornyika.com/images/cplus4/icicle-works.png )
pocket tanks
Starcraft - Broodwar
Contra (1)
Descent 1-2

oh, and two racing game also:
NFS1
Screamers
cheat 2 win!
2009-06-17, 14:38
569 posts

Feb 2006
List of the games i spent most time in:
0. Quakeworld dm3 prewar
1. Quakeworld
2. Warcraft 3 (and tft)
3. Quake 3
4. Starcraft (and bw)
5. Diablo II
5. Civilization/Colonization (all titles, I've always played the latest available when playing)
6. Baldurs Gate (All titles)
7. Planetarion
8. Action Quake 2
9. Pinball fantasies
10. Adventure games in the 90ies (space quest, kings quest, dott, monkey island etc..)
2009-06-17, 15:17
253 posts

Nov 2007
ouch, really. I missed out warcraft 3 + frozen throne
cheat 2 win!
2009-06-17, 15:20
3 posts

Apr 2009
Might and Magic VI - Mandate Of Heaven
2009-06-17, 16:25
793 posts

Feb 2006
jncz wrote:
Might and Magic VI - Mandate Of Heaven

omg yes! fantastic game.
2009-06-17, 19:42
85 posts

May 2007
The ones I've had the most fun with and have the warmest memories of. <3

Not in particular order:

NHL 94 / NHL Hockey (PC)
Super Mario World (SNES)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES)
The Day of The Tentacle (PC)
Grim Fandango (PC)
Fallout 2 (PC)
Heroes of Might & Magic 2 (PC)
Quake (PC)
Half-Life (PC)
Warcraft 2 (PC)
Str8 Outta Ritoniemi!
2009-06-18, 15:24
133 posts

Sep 2007
1. Civilization series (just brilliant)
2. Quakeworld
3. Dungeon Master (Chaos Strikes Back) (first game I played on my Atari. Never managed to finish Chaos Strikes back...freaking maze)
4. Heroes of Might & Magic III
5. Might and Magic VI
6. Mario Kart
7. Everquest 2
8. Diablo
9. Final Fantasy VII
10. I'm sure I forgot some title which I can add later

Excuse me, forgot about that Renzo
2009-06-18, 17:06
1329 posts

Apr 2006
Kwibus wrote:
p.s. Anyone knows where I can dl M&M VI, coz so far I only found dead links and corrupted files

Since we are talking about "warezing", I certainly hope noone answers (4).
Servers: Troopers
2009-06-18, 17:14
News Writer
646 posts

Mar 2006
ctrl+f didnt find these, so i am putting them up because they are hot:

super metroid
tetris

and of course the usual:
quakeworld
quake3

not so usual:
supreme commander
gta 4
lfs/gtr2
bf2/2142/gr*
arma
oblivion
fallout 3
cod 5
2009-06-18, 19:35
188 posts

May 2007
Tetris? I never understood what people liked about that game. It was just horrible.
  58 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page