User panel stuff on forum
  23 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2006-03-31, 15:45
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
Got hold of Nukie, a 2 month young QW player, to ask him of his thoughts about the QW community...

Quote:
Hi and welcome to Quakeworld.nu nukie, can u tell abit about yourself, irl etc ?

Yeah sure. Well.. My name is Johan. I live right outside Gothenburg in sweden. For you quakers I'm just a child, couse I'm only 16 years old. On normal days I go to school and in the afternoons I usually spend my time here or at the gym.

How did you start getting into QW?

Haha
My history of playing computer games goes way back. I've always been playing games as far as I know. It all started in small when I was about 5 years old, I played Pac Man, Captain Comic, Prince of Persia, Wacky Wheels etc on my fathers computer. But he didn't like me occupying his computer all days, so he gave me my own. Then when I started groundschool I found some new friends who showed me DOOM. I loved it. Running around mazes and killing monster with a chainsaw was great.
We started playing other games aswell, like DOOM2, Duke Nukem 3D and Quake. After that I got Supernintendo and Playstation etc, so the computer wasn't my no1 entertainment-center anymore. But when my friends started playing Counter-Strike 1.0 I couldn't recist. It was so cool and I could keep playing versus bots all day. In the year 2001 I got a descent connection, and it's there my history as a CS-player starts, but I guess that doesn't Interesst you guys.
Late 2005 I quit CS, and started trying other games again. So one day when I played Q3 with my friends they brought up that we should try CPMA. And I said that I want to try QW. So my friend told me he allready had QW and showed me a site where I could download it.
We all did that, and I really liked it. So we decided to start playing it together.
We played a few games together for a few days. But then one day they said "We shall play CPMA now, QW was yesterday". So I followed them and we played CPMA for a while. But after a few weeks we got into a fight while playing CPMA. So I quit and havn't spoke to them since. I wen't back to QW, and here I've been since.

What are the global differences between qw and your old game (comunity, teamplay, gameplay...) ?

Well, if you refer to Counter-Strike the difference is big. The CS-sceene is alot bigger and alot easier to get a hang of. But I don't like it, it's so random. There's almost no way of knowing who your opponents are, and it's all so serious.
CS is also a game that's grown to be less fun for every update.
The old counter-strike feeling is all gone. Everything just feels stiff.
The QW community is great. It's easy to get an answer to any question and not at all hard to find people who's willing to help with tips and tricks.

What kind of problems did u have when u just started playing QW?

Hehe, I had alot of problems. Mostly movement in-game but also that I didn't know anyone or anything about the community. But one day after school I asked for someone to play some 1on1 in the quakeworld channel. Some guy called ]SR[ParadokS told me he wanted to play. So we played 1 map which I choose. I picked DM6, I had no idea of who I was facing . So 10 minutes later he won with like 59 to -3 or so. We talked sometime after the game and he
told be stuff about the community and how to make weaponscripts in my cfg etc. Since then we've been talking from time to time.

What can we improve to make the way of getting into QW easier?

I think it's great as it is. It's childproof, but other than that it's good. As I said it's just to ask anyone for help and you can almost be sure to get it. The hard part is getting into a clan and start playing TDM. You have to be pretty good even for div 5. I'm not the best player, but I've made some really good strides .
And I was lucky and found Eipert who took me in even that I told him I couldn't play. But It's worked out great.

what you like the most about qw ?

I'm pretty nostalgic and love the old spirit of the game. But I also love the speed and action.

If I was a beginner and wanted to play quake, what 10 things would you say to me?

Never give up. Always move, never stand still. Stay sharp and focus. Play alot, it's the only way of becoming something. Watch demos, that's what I did and still do. That's how I learned how to play TDM. You will loose alot in the beginning, but instead of becoming angry, try to think of what you did wrong. Ask some other player to watch you play, and listen to what they think you should improve.
Don't forget the powerups, they're the key of winning. In the beginning, don't go too far from the powerups when if play 1on1. If you play TDM, try to follow the teamsays, and do just as you're beeing told.
That's about what I would tell them about in-game play.

what do you think of the current leagus we got running (nqr/eql / 4on4 ladder / 2on2 ladder / duelmania)?

It's great leagues, and I admire the people who take care of all this and make it possible. But sometimes you can face a team in Div 5 who's not really that special, but has this 1 player who got 40 frags more than all the others. I think the teams should be looked through better, there's no fun in playing against a team who get all their weapons handed to them and then get comeplete maplock.
But they leagues are really good.

you have played QW for a little while and already using the terms such as NO kenya map, etc! did it take long for you to understand those terms? do we need a FAQ for them?

Haha, in the beginning I had no idea what some poeple ment. Some guy in my team kept calling me Leif, and I had no idea why. But now I got the hang of it. I think that there should be no FAQ, it's more fun if others are totally clueless .

What do you think about the commentary team we me handeling the pre/after-show and gaz fixing the games with Hangtime?

Oh, I havn't looked in to that really. Can't answer that one.

Which player/clan do you like the most? and which one you hate the most?

Hehe, that's hard. But I have to say that I admire ParadokS. He's always been great to me and in-game he's a god. My favorite team.. Hmm I don't think I have one.
I don't think I have any player or team that I hate either.
Maybe ZAK, with the players znappe and almeida which are way too good for div 5.

Thnx for your time, and good luck in the world of QuakeWorld, any last comments?

Ehm.. Only that I know what Leif means now. And that my team Jägarna had our first won in EQL yesterday! 2-0 vs The Outcast Clan.
2006-03-31, 16:30
810 posts

Jan 1970
Everone thinks that zak are toooo fucking good for eql div5... is it cus we are well known players ?.
I (almeida) have never been a div 2 or 3 player. I have always been a div 4-5 player.. i playing sometimes in div 3-2 bc i know znappe irl.. he allowing(?!) me sometimes to play with him and with freedom. see our last 2 games vs VKB and the gibbers. i cant see that we dominated... we lost! GAAAH!

lets see the other clans players...

azzid: hmm who the fuck is he ?, in one game he got the first place with 105frags the second player had 44(!!)frags.. that is NOT div 5 skill (znappe has the courage to play with his realnick) after that game it was like 4 - 5 post whine about it,
when znappe played a game, he had like 20000000post whine (maybe cus he is famous in the qw sence?).
toc is a div 5 clan without azzid, they got 82frags i think it was vs jägarna ( #jagarna ) with azzid they would get 182frags+

and the whole freaky the gibbers clan (good game yesterday *hug*)
iskall aka zanne... he has the experience after 8-10 years playing5
dogen aka gimp from flaming fist... played with pietro, exile, dag, he has the routine
blau from choppsticks ninjas. Played with some skilles players and he is NOT div 5 player
i would place gibbers in div 3, it would be hard but see suddendeath in eql/nqr div 1...they have a hard time to!

och nukie du har lirat i 2månader, skaffa dig lite mer kött på bena, snälla

\\almeida
2006-03-31, 16:45
5 posts

Mar 2006
if im a div 2 player... why do i get like 25-30 frags less then znappe ?
2006-03-31, 16:50
79 posts

Jan 2006
nukie ftw!
we'll have to play another endif round soon B>
zaiko of BaconMen
2006-03-31, 16:55
447 posts

Jan 2006
Let the flaming begin.
Teamplay is nothing. Aim is everything. OBEY YOUR AIM

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/9017/end2ub.jpg
2006-03-31, 16:55
4 posts

Mar 2006
We know you aren't that good Almeida
Still love you tho
2006-03-31, 16:59
5 posts

Mar 2006
Eppe wrote:
We know you aren't that good Almeida
Still love you tho

atleast one knows that i suck in qw
2006-03-31, 17:02
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
nice interview
2006-03-31, 17:23
1011 posts

Feb 2006
good interview

one thought for the future though...

might be a good idea to spell check before posting on the front page
slang and stuff is fine but typos and things may it look a bit too much like an irc log rather than interview
2006-03-31, 18:24
810 posts

Jan 1970
leif? :.(
been in qw for a couple of years and never heard the expression.. pls explain or ill quit qw! (guess its something in swedish teams?)

nice interview.
and yes, a dictionary/faq would help new players alot.. been called noob to many times when asking questions in the beginning.. and i know for a fact that alot off ppl hate that more then me and thus wount give a damn about the qw.. there is always help to find, but a noob faq could help the new players alot. both gameterms and weird chatterms and mayby spawntimes and a quick messeging guide, what the general public use and expect in mixgames etc..
2006-03-31, 20:52
News Writer
2260 posts

Jan 2006
Leif is acctually a swedish name, but somehow in SuddenDeath we keep on calling ppl for Leif, and thats probably were it comes from!
We got some other names like KEErstin etc..
we are usually on the vent (mm3) server and are talking with QW terms such as Leif, kenya, keerstin etc. and BLON!
Leif/kerstin = names that are beeing used instead of "mate"
BLON = bridge area 2 dm3
there are more aswell.. some
2006-04-01, 05:12
61 posts

Mar 2006
Heh, I am a QuakeWorld noob as well. 4 months for me.
2006-04-01, 11:05
245 posts

Jan 2006
nice to see you in the qw-community nukie. Welcome and <3. think i've been seeing you speccing some
2006-04-01, 11:24
99 posts

Feb 2006
gg nukienen
2006-04-01, 11:41
1754 posts

Jan 2006
nukie e mannen!
almeida, gör er av med xarn isf plz, han får mer frags än alla andra i laget tillsammans : P

[ EDIT admin: ENGLISH PLZ ]
2006-04-01, 12:43
53 posts

Mar 2006
Yeyeye! Some people have read it
2006-04-01, 15:29
810 posts

Jan 1970
xarn e inte med i eql? han praccar bara me oss eftersom han lirar me annan klan i eql... så sen när blev d förbjudet o pracca me andra members än de som är signade för eql? lol... dessutom möter vi div 2-5 när han är med..

[ EDIT admin: ENGLISH PLZ ]
2006-04-02, 03:39
810 posts

Jan 1970
Din Javlar Nollan Skaffa Dig Et Liv
2006-04-02, 11:37
5 posts

Mar 2006
phil too lasy to log in wrote:
Din Javlar Nollan Skaffa Dig Et Liv

lär dig stava
2006-04-02, 12:46
98 posts

Feb 2006
good interview nice to see an outlook from a new start
2006-04-03, 18:01
810 posts

Jan 1970
yeah right, wtf is "leif" ? u call it a term used in the scene just because suddendeath are using it? then here u got another one called: "mm" we(freedom) say it in our ventchannel all the time when someone is camping around a corner, or just using +back...
2006-04-04, 10:20
188 posts

Jan 2006
nice interview
2006-04-04, 11:31
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
lol schnappi
  23 posts on 1 page  1