User panel stuff on forum
  114 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page
Advanced Configuration
2006-08-29, 18:14
46 posts

Jan 2006
def 's QuakeWorld Setup (Aug 29th 2006)
irc.quakenet.eu.org #american

download (47mb) / Image Preview #1 (700kb) / Image Preview #2 (140kb)

quick Q/A...

Q) Why did I create this package?
A) Many people request my config on a daily basis, and this is the most efficient way of providing help. There is alot more to a QuakeWorld setup than a simple config file, so I have provided a full package.

Q) What is the primary purpose of this package?
A) This package is intended for competetive play. It is perfect for players new to the game, so they can start with a base setup that has been optimzed and tweaked for years to produce the best results (in my experience). It is also great for veterans of the game to checkout and perhaps discover something new they weren't aware of.

//////////////////////
// What's New? //
/////////////////////

Ok, so I decided to release a new package this time officially with latest EzQuake. As for what's new since the last official FuhQuake version? Other than the port from FuhQuake to EzQuake, mostly minor differences of personal nature. I've also updated this thread with some new information on mice, settings, tweaking winxp services, and other relevant information so make sure you scan it thoroughly.

*my own custom hud
*new color-coded text teamplay config (thanks to ultimo)
*new crosshair (from Q4 recommended by KovaaK)
*extended weapon script by KovaaK that allows toggling of multiple weapons (lg > ssg/sng > sg) on a a single key (spacebar)
*better auto file naming scheme for demos including dates
*lots of minute miscellaneous improvements
*changed the default name / team / skin, so that there isnt one thousand [ag] def's running around out there triggering my friends ASE's buddy lists.

/////////////////////
// Instructions //
////////////////////

1) Extract this archive into a new clean directory:
i.e. c:\quakeworld\

!!! DO NOT EXTRACT TO YOUR DESKTOP OR A SUBFOLDER OF YOUR DESKTOP - EZQUAKE HAS A FATAL AND UNDIAGNOSED BUG THAT CAUSES IT TO CRASH IF IN A SUBDIRECTORY OF YOUR DESKTOP !!!

2) Disable vertical synchronization (vertical sync/vsync) in your display drivers by setting it to ALWAYS OFF. Vsync enabled can add as much as 26ms of combined mouse input and image rendering lag to your game. You can achieve this through the nVidia control panel or ATI Catalyst control center depending on your graphics card manufacturer. I cannot detail the exact method as it varies from driver version to driver version, however you can always google for help if you are unsure.

3) Start the game in 800x600 @ 75hz resolution by running quakeworld.bat in the root directory.

4) Don't forget to change the following commands and feel free to customize the setup to your needs:

/name yourname
/team teamname
/color 0 0
/skin name
/set nick def (this is the name used in team chat teamplay messages)

5) To connect to servers:

i) you may use the ezquake server browser by hitting escape

-> main menu -> multiplayer -> sources

select your master server sources, i.e.

"id dm master server"
and your regional location i.e. "north american servers"

hit spacebar to update the sources

-> hit arrow key left to go from "sources" to "servers"

hit spacebar to refresh the servers, select a server using the arrow keys
hit [enter] to join or [o] on your keyboard to observe.

ii) you may search for additional servers via an external server browser

i.e. The All Seeing Eye | http://www.udpsoft.com/eye/

iii) or optionally use the command /join ip:port to play and /observe ip:port to spectate

//////////////////////
// Default Keys //
/////////////////////

Just because I use a certain keyset does not mean its the best one for you.
Use whatever you are most comfortable with. It is true that certain setups may be limiting,
however for the most part you will achieve best results with whatever you are acustomed to.

--- BASICS ---

W = move forward
S = move backward
A = strafe left
D = strafe right

Mouse1 = shooot
Mouse2 = jump / swim up
Mouse3 = rocket jump
Alt = swim down

Shift = select RL
Space = select SG -> SNG -> SSG -> LG
(if LG isnt in inventory and both SSG & SNG are, selects SSG first, and succesive key strikes will toggle between SNG/SSG)
F = select GL
E = select SG -> SSG
Q = select NG -> SNG
R = select SG

[ = public chat
] = team chat
Tab = scoreboard
~ = toggle console
ESC = toggle menu

--- MISCELLANOUS ---

PGUP = ready
PGDN = notready
END = check who's not ready
HOME = request admin
INSERT = vote yes

F8 = toggle ip based rcon mode
F11 = announce .mp3 title
F12 = screenshot

KEYPAD STAR = save last played game to demo ( /installdir/demos/ )
KEYPAD SLASH = toggle on-screen weapon stats
KEYPAD MINUS = game statistics
KEYPAD PLUS = efficiency list
KEYPAD PERIOD = toggle cl_useproxy 0/1
KEYPAD 1-8 = track player #1 through #8 when spectatating

-- TEAMPLAY MESAGES --

Z = use this point out items, powerups, enemies, and check teammates status
X = report location of death (area lost)
C = help at current location
V = report your status
B = current location safe
N = report your needs i.e. health weapon ammunition
M = take my pack, bore packs at location of death
U = switch/replace/relieve current location
G = enemy slipped from current location
H = quad killed

1 = weak enemy rl at location of death
2 = enemy powerups seen/heard
3 = coming from location
4 = get pent
5 = trick at location (location dependant based on map and .loc files)
6 = ask if key map locations are safe (ie dm3 is ya/ra safe?)

MWHEELUP = increase quad time by +1s
MWHEELDOWN = decrease quad time by -1s
MOUSE 4 = get quad at (:quadtime)

CTRL = use this to report taken items or powerups (took ra, team quad, etc)
T = waiting at location, item soon at location, or point at teammate for you take [item] @ location

F1 = enemy at location (map dependant) auto initialized on map change
F2 = enemy at location (map dependant)
F3 = enemy at location (map dependant)
F4 = enemy at location (map dependant)
F5 = enemy at location (map dependant)

////////////////////////////
// Recommendations //
////////////////////////////

i) Good Mouse:

Choose a mouse that is technologically superior to all other mice on the market. The Razer Copperhead, Logitech G3 or G5, and the new Microsoft Habu gaming mice feature technical specs that are unequaled compared to all other mice. 2000 DPI, 500/1000hz usb native rates, 16bit datapaths, 6.3+ megapixel optical sensors, and tracking upwards and above of 15 g's of acceleration ensure the absolute best.

I currently use a Razer Diamondback mouse, one step behind the latest and greatest, however when I plan to buy a new one, it will definitely be one of the ones mentioned above. Finally, here are my diamondback driver settings. I use roughly 7 inches of mousepad for a 360 degree turn.

ii) USB Mouse Rate:

Response time of your mouse is key to have great reflexes and aim. If your mouse does not have a 1ms polling time (verify the maximum hz value is 1000hz using the mouserate tool), then use the 1000hz USB rate patch for maximum mouse responsiveness, minimum mouse lag, and silky smooth gameplay.

iii) Proper Mousing Surface:

I prefer Razer eXactMat (control side) | www.razerzone.com

iv) Background processes and Windows XP services:

Chances are if your running background tasks and have most of the Windows XP services enabled by default your Quakeworld isnt going to be as smooth as it could be. If you experience any hitching or sudden unexplained FPS drops during gameplay, this is ussually a good indicator that there are other programs running hidden in the background and stealing your precious CPU cycles. I tweaked my Windows XP services to minimize the amount of processes that run in the background, in order to maximize performance. Here is the bare list of minimum services WindowsXP SP2 needs to run. Please note that the "print spooler" service also needs to be enabled if you have a printer. All other services not directly related to your hardware may be stopped and their startup type changed to disabled. You can disable these services by clicking Start > Run > and typing into the field "services.msc" to start the Service configuration application. Click on the column "Name" to sort the services by name and step by step stop every service, and change its startup type to "disabled" if it is not listed on my list of essential services, or if it is not directly related to your system's hardware. Google this topic if you are unsure what you are doing.

/////////////////////////
// Troubleshooting //
/////////////////////////

i) ATI video card users

If you have an ATI video card and are seeing weird graphical glitches and issues, you can try editing the quakeworld.bat file that you use to run the game and add -maxtmu2 to the end of the commandline. This is a known ATI issue.

ii) Sound crackling, sound interference, or delayed sounds

Different sound cards and systems have different tolerances for sound mixahead.
Use s_mixahead 0.1 if you have problems.

iii) ERROR MESSAGE: cannot set fullscreen dib mode upon trying to start the game.

You are attempting to launch quakeworld at a resolution, bit-depth, and refresh rate that is not
specified in your display drivers. You need to add 800x600 @ 75hz resolution to your display drivers. This is a standard resolution and refresh rate that should be within every driver model of any vendor, but in the case it is not you will need to add it manually. This can be done through the nVidia Control Panel, or the ATI Catalyst control panel.
2006-08-30, 00:06
Administrator
1864 posts

Feb 2006
hehe, an updated version, now oldman's bootleg versions looks old

Anyways, whats up with the cs crosshair def?
2006-08-30, 01:33
46 posts

Jan 2006
KovaaK used it to great effect. I tried it, I liked it. Best of both worlds, circle and a cross in one. It's great for all around aim.
2006-08-30, 12:40
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Is there any easy way to get rid of the colored teamsays or do i have to edit the config by myself? (It's not that hard, but i just don't know what every TP item is caleld in this cfg etc) It's a nice setup anyway and i'm gonna start using it i think, really nice work. I just don't want the colored messages as they fuck up for those who don't use em?

Edit: Wasn't that much to edit after all. Just go through all the tp_name stuff.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-08-31, 21:52
Administrator
1265 posts

Jan 2006
thx again def!
you rule !
never argue with an idiot. they'll bring you back to their level and then beat you with experience.
2006-09-01, 21:25
80 posts

Jan 2006
My hero!
2006-09-02, 09:50
626 posts

Jan 2006
This is why i use the defs qw setup, smooth, nice and clean.
Thanks
2006-09-02, 12:09
Administrator
2059 posts

Jan 2006
Since switching to this setup with ezQuake (used fuhquake before) i get the occasional mouse fuckups - it just stops responding for a very short moment (enough to cause a major fuckup in the right moment, with quad for example). Anyone know any solution to this? I use a mx510. Maybe it's because i don't use m_smooth and stuff in the commandline anymore? (That made ezQuake very choppy when i used the same cmdline as in fuhquake)

Any help is appreciated.

I still think this setup is very nice though.
www.facebook.com/QuakeWorld
2006-09-02, 12:56
46 posts

Jan 2006
-dinput and -m_smooth isnt something you should be using to begin with. While -m_smooth is superior to m_filter, it really is no different and adds an artificial layer that your mouse inputs are filtered through. Stick with the 1000hz USB patch, and try increasing the priority of your logitech drivers to above normal if you are experiencing mouse snags.
2006-09-02, 19:36
9 posts

Jan 2006
Nitemare installed this pak and had the exact same problem as Ake Vader but he has a logitech G5 mouse so i guess the problem is in ezquake ? or in def cfg ?
2006-09-02, 19:40
46 posts

Jan 2006
The problem is with his system having background programs open, and background services.
2006-09-02, 20:58
226 posts

Jun 2006
I use a g5 with this setup flawlessly, I have a stripped down version of XP2 that I built with it though.
--irc.quakenet.org #telefrag.me and #QWL | foogsQuakeWorld Ladder
2006-09-03, 15:29
46 posts

Jan 2006
I recieved a question regarding FPS independant physics from Vio in a PMSG, that I thought I should answer here as well.

---

I really do not recommend using FPS independant physics. The code itself is a very poor hack (admittedly by the author himself, Tonik), and does more to deteriorate your game than help it. The idea that you get more than 77fps is totally innacurate.

The FPS is actually not real. Not only does the server send you the same amount of updates per second as it did before, but things are being rendered locally still at 77FPS. This can be verified by setting your monitor to a high refresh rate, and increasing your "fake" cl_maxfps to an equivalent value. For example set your refresh rate to 154hz (most likely at a low resolution such as 640x480 depending on your monitor). Try using cl_maxfps 154 with 154hz monitor and you will notice severe ghosting.

The reason for this is because EzQuake only renders 77FPS locally, and your monitor is refreshing at double this rate, effectively showing each image for two updates. This means if you move at a high rate of speed, there will be alot of ghosting (akin to LCD) monitor. Some people are more sensitive to this than others (myself being extremely sensitive being able to detect the slightest amount of ghosting).

If the FPS was real on the other hand, you would see no ghosting at all. Again you can verify this using the same method. Load up EzQuake without FPS independant physics @ 154hz. This time, type /map dm6, and once your localhost server loads, type in /serverinfo maxfps 154, and cl_maxfps 154. You are now using real 154fps. Try moving around. The image is totally crisp, clear, totally smooth, however the physics are altered because the FPS is real.

The only thing that FPS independant physics does as far as im concerned is totally alter your base values for sensitivity, which is why the sensitivity you used without FPS independapnt physics will not feel the same with FPS independant physics. There is absolutely no advantage to using FPS independant physics, and could even be considered a disadvantage with all the bugs present in the hack (including jumps getting stuck, and ofcourse the forementioned sensitivity abnormalities).

Stick to a 77fps/75hz setup. This will give you no ghosting, and minimal amount of screen tearing.

P.S. Perhaps Tonik can elaborate on the technical aspects of FPS independant physics, and how it works, however what I have written above proves without a doubt that my observations are accurate.
2006-09-03, 17:33
637 posts

Jan 2006
Yehoow, thanks for clearning this out, and now I want to see all the people praising that stupid independent physics hack and saying how superior it is to server/enabled high fps to admit they were wrong. I kept arguing about it more than a year now *looks at plast* thanks man! I'll try out your configuration soon
http://slip.4.pl/ - unblocking myspace facebook firewall
2006-09-03, 17:34
518 posts

Jan 2006
somehow thats not true @ my setup, i am playing with a 19" tft and the tearing is like 3 times worse with 77 fps then 154 (i play with 76hz (max))
2006-09-03, 18:10
46 posts

Jan 2006
LCDs are a whole other bag all together since they run natively through DVI at 60hz, and can also sometimes run at 75hz through the use VGA output cable. What I have written strictly applies to CRT monitors. The tearing may be noticably worse on a LCD since they are fundamentally different technologies. You should note that LCDs will never come close to the speed of CRTs in terms of pixel response times. Playing Quakeworld on a LCD is truly bad for your reflexes, especially your aim, even on the fastest 2ms grey-to-grey Viewsonic VX922 monitor.
2006-09-03, 18:58
518 posts

Jan 2006
i use dvi 76hz 2ms tft, i also tried some other tfts but this one has no ghosting whatsoever, and i am very picky about it 2.
2006-09-03, 22:04
46 posts

Jan 2006
Try 75hz instead (and yes 1hz makes a difference), and 77fps. You won't see ghosting on 2ms TFT however there is still that pixel response time that is delayed compared to a CRT. :<
2006-09-04, 06:00
85 posts

May 2006
ive had these issues with independent physics, however what im using now has given me no issues whatsoever:

75hz @ 154fps
cl_physfps 77

my ping is exactly the same now (well its within 1ms difference), no jump bug or fps jitter. it feels and looks identical to serverinfo maxfps 154.

Im also aware of the way fps messes with sensitivity and ive spent a fair amount of time trying to get it back to how it felt with 77fps. lets just say im a sucker for punishment. In the end i wouldnt bother.. unless ur like me and willing to spend time experimenting, its gonna make ur game worse.

a question for def: what u got against -dinput anyway? with my setup as it is, without -dinput my mouse feels sooo awful! (and im picky). I know i asked this in another thread but meh.
2006-09-04, 07:11
37 posts

Jan 2006
Def you have pushlatency -999 and cl_nolerp 1 in your config. With these values and independent physics on i had ghosting too. Try pushlatency 0 and cl_nolerp 0, its perfect

Btw i think independent physics jump bug is fixed now but i dont know if it is in 1517 release.
2006-09-04, 08:44
405 posts

Jan 2006
Def, respect, but u r totaly wrong about independent physics, u just need configure it "right way" as tom mention above and also few additional variables.
<3
2006-09-04, 11:40
518 posts

Jan 2006
and yes the jump bug is fixed in 1517
2006-09-04, 13:52
46 posts

Jan 2006
Thanks for the info, I will look into it. Please post any "additional" variables for configuring it the "right way". I will be testing using the suggested settings using the max refresh rate of my monitor at 800x600 @ 132hz. I will post my impressions once I have tested the setup more thoroughly. I'm using the following settings.

cmdline change: +set vid_displayfrequency 132 +set cl_independentPhysics 1
config change: cl_maxfps 1000 cl_physfps 77 pushlatency 0 cl_nolerp 0

What I have noticed right off the bat...
-ghosting is gone
-game is visually smoother
-sensitivity is the same as with non fps independant physics
-the jump doesnt get stuck anymore
-i don't see any real physics anomalies as I finished ztricks 2 literally on my first attempt

... You learn something new everyday.
2006-09-04, 14:16
810 posts

Jan 1970
just a small note: sync can be disabled in game by setting vid_vsync to 0. atleast this works for me.
2006-09-04, 16:59
405 posts

Jan 2006
Def, seems nothing need to be added to post #23, may be except vid_vsync 0, but u r alredy use this in ur setup.
<3
2006-09-04, 18:15
46 posts

Jan 2006
It seems to be working great. Last time I tested fps independant physics was when it first came out, and well you can read what I thought of it in the posts above. Now I finally see a use for that Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.4ghz. I'm sure it can achieve 1000fps stable (I currently drop to 800fps in firefights on my AMD 3500+). Would be nice to have perfectly stable 1000fps, along with 1000hz mouse, and one day hopefully 1000hz monitor. Be that as it may, I cannot notice any fps drops from 1000 down to 800 as it stands, so it may be a moot point.

Watching demos, and spectating on a server is still ghosty however.
2006-09-06, 20:54
626 posts

Jan 2006
Can't start this package, i get some kinda error message as soon as i come into quake..
2006-09-06, 21:53
1011 posts

Feb 2006
'some kinda error message' <--- post this, likely to be video mode related though
2006-09-07, 00:31
46 posts

Jan 2006
I should note, do not extract to your desktop, or a subdir of your desktop. Ezquake seems to have some kind of a bug that causes an illegal operation if you do this. It is really bizzare, although 100% true, as KovaaK has verified it for me. Extract to any other directory on your drive.
2006-09-07, 01:32
226 posts

Jun 2006
Ahh fuck, now you tell me! I was just at a friend's house lanning with a bunch of people trying to get qw going...had the dir on their desktops and could never get it working.

Oh yeah, I can confirm the desktop bug on my computer as well.
--irc.quakenet.org #telefrag.me and #QWL | foogsQuakeWorld Ladder
  114 posts on 4 pages  First page1234Last page