User panel stuff on forum
  40 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page
Client Talk
2006-05-16, 11:48
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
is msg_trigger banned in ruleset smackdown?

if it is, why? how can it be used to cheat?

and also, would it be possible to allow msg_triggers during prewar?
2006-05-16, 11:52
1011 posts

Feb 2006
i'm pretty sure legal msg_trigger is allowed in ruleset smackdown under ezquake as "...there is no way of executing forbidden msg_trigger commands in ezQuake."

EDIT: http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/docs/?command-line#ruleset says it disables triggers
2006-05-16, 12:03
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
just disabling $teamplay_vars in conjunction with msg_triggers should make that command safe (?)

another thing

why is shownick disabled to use with $teamplay_vars?

is it cheating to only shownick e.g. teammates, or to NOT shownick when you're not pointing at a player? (command flooding comes to mind)
2006-05-16, 12:15
151 posts

Jan 2006
ask league admins about it .

msg_trigger foo "You Got TEH QUAD DAMAAAAGE!!!!" -l 0 // i dont remember exact text of that 'msg 0' message
alias foo "play quad_timer_60secs.wav"
kill me now and burn my soul
2006-05-16, 12:17
383 posts

Jan 2006
not shownick disabled.
disabled all impulse commands.
You can use shownick's impulse for something also.
If you want to use shownick in point alias, use:
bind 2 "shownick;_point"
With best wishes, B1aze.
2006-05-16, 14:21
1754 posts

Jan 2006
why are backpacks fullbright textures disabled in ruleset smackdown? I mean, all other bmodels/models are allowed :S
2006-05-16, 14:24
1011 posts

Feb 2006
i'm guessing because backpacks can fall anywhere in the map so its an advantage to be able to see them in shadows, whereas bmodels are always statically placed at specific spawn points (which are generally not in shadow) on the map so its no real advantage to be able to see them in shadows
2006-05-16, 14:43
1754 posts

Jan 2006
well weapons spin around, that makes them easy to see, lets ban those textures too?
2006-05-16, 17:02
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Peppe: your implication doesn't make any sense.
Also enemy counting macros would be exploited:
bind r "say_team joh_enemies_%e"
msg_trigger "say_team there are 3 enemies near you johnny_cz!" "joh_enemies_3"
(not sure about proper syntax of msg_trigger command)
2006-05-16, 17:13
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
JohnNy_cz wrote:
Also enemy counting macros would be exploited:
bind r "say_team joh_enemies_%e"
msg_trigger "say_team there are 3 enemies near you johnny_cz!" "joh_enemies_3"
(not sure about proper syntax of msg_trigger command)

that would make more sense in a game like CS

JohnNy_cz wrote:
msg_trigger foo "You Got TEH QUAD DAMAAAAGE!!!!" -l 0 // i dont remember exact text of that 'msg 0' message
alias foo "play quad_timer_60secs.wav"

then disable /play with msg_trigger?

B1aze wrote:
bind 2 "shownick;_point"

did you read my post?

"is it cheating to only shownick e.g. teammates, or to NOT shownick when you're not pointing at a player? (command flooding comes to mind)"

bind 2 "shownick;_point"

^ will shownick when you point e.g. quad or packs (COMMAND FLOODING), and also shownick enemies (pointless)
2006-05-16, 21:11
59 posts

Mar 2006
Peppe wrote:
well weapons spin around, that makes them easy to see, lets ban those textures too?

At the time we requested features to be disabled at our best knowledge. Since then clients have changed and new possibilities have been discovered. To make a long story short -ruleset smackdown is old! There should be a new ruleset. I see no reason why there should not be new ones and the "why is x but not y banned" whine is quite ridiculous when it is so easy to add new rulesets.
2006-05-16, 21:12
1754 posts

Jan 2006
yea, I guess but who made it? can it be remade? or can we delete it plz?
2006-05-16, 21:20
59 posts

Mar 2006
Peppe wrote:
yea, I guess but who made it? can it be remade? or can we delete it plz?

-ruleset smackdown was implemented by Fuh to FuhQuake at the specific request from the Challenge-Smackdown admins. We discussed the limitations thouroughly before we submitted our request to Fuh. As you can read in the FuhQuake news/changelog there is the possibility to add all sorts of different rulesets e.g. -ruleset nqr, -ruleset duelmania, whatever you can imagine. The one and only existing -ruleset were just ported to ezQuake. It should be no problem for the ezQuake developers to add new rulesets. There is no need to delete it, leagues just have to enforce new rulesets.
2006-05-16, 22:09
1754 posts

Jan 2006
well they better! :E
since smackdown isn't even running, why keep the name?
2006-05-17, 01:32
40 posts

Feb 2006
Fuck off Peppe, it's respect for a fantastic league.
2006-05-17, 04:56
950 posts

Apr 2006
You don't have to be offensive...
2006-05-17, 10:29
383 posts

Jan 2006
Empezar wrote:
B1aze wrote:
bind 2 "shownick;_point"

did you read my post?

"is it cheating to only shownick e.g. teammates, or to NOT shownick when you're not pointing at a player? (command flooding comes to mind)"

bind 2 "shownick;_point"

^ will shownick when you point e.g. quad or packs (COMMAND FLOODING), and also shownick enemies (pointless)

Please, re-read my answer and think a little.
Shownick disable ONLY cos it use impulse. Shownick = impulse 126 or something like it.
There are no other reason like command flooding and so on.
With best wishes, B1aze.
2006-05-17, 10:43
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
i see

then impulse 126 should be exempted
2006-05-17, 11:33
1754 posts

Jan 2006
mIXu, I bet it was great 'n all but it's not alive... it's not up to date or anything
I say remake ruleset "whatever"
2006-05-17, 14:09
151 posts

Jan 2006
> then disable /play with msg_trigger?
Very bad idea. Look at this:
msg_trigger gr "renade primed" -l 2
alias gr "play count.wav"

^^^ If we do it, all TF players will hate us. Btw, what about to disable "play" command for smackdown? If you dont cheating, what for you need "/play" at console?
2006-05-17, 14:51
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
lol? you can already do that (and everyone is?)

alias +grena1 "+gren1;play count.wav"
alias -grena1 "-gren1"

or am i missing something?
2006-05-17, 14:58
383 posts

Jan 2006
You can do it only for your granates.
TF players use this count.wav for all granates.
With best wishes, B1aze.
2006-05-17, 15:00
485 posts

Feb 2006
With the trigger method you get the sound only when you succesfully throw a grenade (not when you are out of grens etc..). It is more accurate too.
2006-05-17, 15:48
116 posts

Mar 2006
Is everybody cheating with a new gl.wave?
2006-05-17, 16:02
1435 posts

Jan 2006
Heh, pretty much chaotic discussion. Maybe I will delete some posts soon.
I've started a private mailing list with admins of important leagues like two weeks ago. I'd like to ask them for their opinions on some topics that appear on forums. We already made some small steps forward to modernise that ruleset. ('modernise' = keep the time with current _common_ playing standards).
You want me to ask them for something you are talking about in this illogical chaos?
Peppe: Good. First bring up something that makes sense. Your argumentatioin for fullbright backpacks doesn't make any sense.
As for msg_triggers I'm missing the knowledge of them right now. Maybe some feature that TF players use should be hard-coded into the client? (I repeat, I don't know details)
But why are you talking about timing sounds while nowadays external timers same as in-game timers are accepted? I thought we've come through this part already.
2006-05-17, 16:18
68 posts

Mar 2006
We ARE rebuilding the Smackdown ruleset, we ARE adding a new ruleset, isnt that clear from Jhonny's post?!
Or am I just slow?
_________________________________________________________________________________
There's so much stupid ppl in this world, I tried to figure out why there's so much of them and came to realize that t
2006-05-17, 17:38
Administrator
2058 posts

Jan 2006
the reason i bring msg_triggers up is because i want to use msg_triggers with a clan teamsay config so you can check what version people are using

not being able to do so because of "cheat prevention" makes your angry nerve tickle - same as many other non-cheat settings/scripts that are blocked.

blocking 1000 useful features because 1 of them might be considered a cheat by some people is not something i would consider worth it - especially not when this "cheating prevention" is not even bulletproof.

and yeah zanne, make sure to mention shownick (exempting the shownick impulse from the block list or something)
2006-05-17, 18:07
151 posts

Jan 2006
Empezar wrote:
lol? you can already do that (and everyone is?)

alias +grena1 "+gren1;play count.wav"
alias -grena1 "-gren1"

or am i missing something?

NO!NO!NO! This type of grenade counting sucks like 'keyboard only'. Why it sucks?
1st: If i pres key 10 times in 1 second (a very nervous match...) i got 10 playing counter and 1 grenade primed - great. I have binded greande prime and throw to mousewheel - so i always press prime and throw button for 3-4 times.
2nd: problem - impulse can be lost and U got fake sound
3rd: problem - latency. Sound stars when you press teh button, not when grenade will be primed.
4th:
Kalma wrote:
With the trigger method you get the sound only when you succesfully throw a grenade (not when you are out of grens etc..). It is more accurate too.

msg_triggers firstly was impilemnted by Tonik in ZQuake, by request of some russian TFer. His main request was ability to track grenade prime message for accurate grenade timing.

There are no need to hardcore this trigger into teh client - TF players can use msg_triggers (and re_triggers too - they do same as msg_triggers, but can catch any kind of strings - even centerprints, and they understand PCRE - Perl Compitable REGEXP Expressions).

B1aze wrote:
You can do it only for your granates.
TF players use this count.wav for all granates.

You mean for enemy greandes too? No it's only used for my grenades. Read above why triggered sound is better "primeone;play my_cool_sound".
2006-05-17, 20:15
1754 posts

Jan 2006
Johnny I think it does, how many packs are really unguarded random rl-packs? let's just say none
Allowed fullbrighted backpacks would only make it easier for teammates to see a pack in some corner.
Would speed up the game a bit actually
2006-05-17, 20:20
693 posts

Jan 2006
Why is that good Peppe? Why do you want to simplify the game?
  40 posts on 2 pages  First page12Last page