User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2017-06-01, 00:33
25 posts

Jan 2006
The new reDome FFA servers are finally up and running now and are based on the same, quality VPS host servers as meag's popular nl.badplace.eu servers (http://digitalocean.com/).

The server names are based on the names of the old legendary Finnish FFA servers "eDome Small" and "eDome Large" which existed in the late 90's and early-mid 00's, but with the added re-, as in "reinstatement" or "revival" of the servers, and perhaps of the QW scene itself (?).

I personally believe that there is a great need for really good, traditional FFA servers right now. Servers that are running classic QW maps, which enable new players to learn what we "old-timers" consider as common knownledge TDM-maps, but which are hard to practise and get to know for example at the popular, more obscure/kenya qw.servegame.org:27500 FFA server (although I really like it, and it serves a purpose as well!). If you never get to learn the classic TDM maps in a FFA environment, how could you stand a chance when trying to transition to traditional 2on2 or 4on4 game modes?

For me FFA has always been a very fun part of the QW experience, especially when 4on4 or 2on2 mixes have felt too serious, sometimes lacking a bit of fun in all of it's seriousness. And I've felt like the FFA-scene has kind of been forgotten and missing for way too long now - and a comeback is way overdue!

The servers are currently (as of 1st of June 2017):

reDome Small FFA: redome.mine.nu:27500 (dm1ex, dm2, dm3, dm4, dm5, dm6, ztndm3, aerowalk, bravado, e1m2, ukooldm3)
reDome Large FFA: redome.mine.nu:27501 (death32c)

- powerups are automatically enabled when there are 4 or more players on the server, with dropquad and dropring enabled
- overtime is set to 1 minute
- spectators can talk (say) to players in-game for convenience, but please use "say_team" when talking with other spectators
- map voting and the "next_map" command is enabled on Small, but disabled on Large, since it's purely a death32c-server

reDome QTV: redome.mine.nu:28000
reDome QWFWD: redome.mine.nu:30000

Quote:
Update (2nd of June 2017): The reDome servers have been moved from the datacenter in Frankfurt to the same datacenter as the nl.badplace.eu servers reside on in Amsterdam, due to some pretty serious ping and performance issues with the datacenter in Frankfurt last night. It might have just been a temporary problem (getting fluctuating 50-95 ms on the server from Sweden, instead of 26-32 ms earlier the same day), but for the best possible FFA experience, Amsterdam will have to be the location for now - even though the intention of having the most central location in Europe still stands. This change might hopefully attract and give some US players a chance to gib at reDome, the more the merrier! And hopefully players from eastern european countries won't be too affected.

Thanks for all the amazing help and patience with setting up and configuring meag!

(Edited 2017-06-02, 14:59)
My Rocket Will Soon Be In Your Pocket!!! (c) xazqe - 1999
2017-06-01, 05:33
258 posts

Feb 2006
Some quick suggestions:

Maxplayers of Small FFA server should be lower. eDome Small FFA had maxplayers 8 originally. Small maps get too crowded with more players and the current maxplayers is 26.

Ports of servers could be changed from 28501 -> 27500 and 28502 -> 27501. They are easier to remember and people don't have to type in the port at all when connecting to Small FFA.

QTV seems to be connecting to wrong ports 28503 and 28504.

- mli
2017-06-01, 05:34
Administrator
886 posts

Jan 2006
Just got the sickest nerd chills remembering the days of eDome Small & Large... had quite a few great gibs in there throughout the years. It was always the fallback servers when you wanted to relax from other, more intense game modes.
A beacon in the night.

Love the map pool, with the addition of bravado, aswell as quad enabled only if 4 or more players are present; slick!

Idea: we had talks on Discord about getting thrown into an FFA server when launching your client (ezQuake), instead of showing the main menu (default behaviour) - would this server be the landing zone?

xazqe, thanks a million for hosting these servers!
(And thanks meag, always so helpful)
Join us on discord.quake.world
2017-06-01, 08:45
23 posts

Apr 2010
xazqe marry me för fan! Great job, you're the best! <3
2017-06-01, 09:16
398 posts

Feb 2006
Wow this is really fantastic news! I used to play lots on eDome large and small when I first started playing qw. Being a newbie this was a really helpful way to learn all the maps.

Thanks a lot xazqe and meag <3 See you at reDome!
2017-06-01, 09:58
25 posts

Jan 2006
Thanks for the kind replies and good input! =D

I have adjusted the servers to ports 27500 and 27501, and QTV should be pointing to them now as well. I thought about having the default ports before, but ended up starting the servers with the default ports from the nQuakesv package, since configuring and setting up everything else felt overwhelming at the moment.

My original post has been edited with these new port numbers.

The maxclients for reDome Small was intented to be 8 players, but somehow the configs defaulted it to 26 - but it's fixed now at maxclients "8" - thanks mli!

The maxclients for reDome Large is set to 16, which is the limit I think that it was set to back in the days. Or was it higher? Do you think we could/should up that to 26 or even 32, as the map is pretty huge, and today's servers can handle that many connections better/well? Suggestions are welcome!

mli - could you please update the servers at www.quakeservers.net to ports 27500 and 27501? I saw them neatly listed there already with dns names "redome.mine.nu" instead of ip-numbers - thanks a lot! =)

Do you know how to make these servers visible on qtv.quakeworld.nu ? And maybe add the Serveme bot to them (both Small and Large) as well? Or who to contact regarding that?

I'm happy you got the nostalgia chills bps - just my intention with these servers! =D And that they would be a place to always find an opponent when 2on2/4on4 mixes end late at night or inbetween games.

Why not spend a whole evening just gibbing at small, with some kind of fragstats FFA leaderboards at stats.quakeworld.nu for both reDome Small and Large? I really like the idea of a default FFA server for newcomers, and it would work, because these servers are here to stay "forever", as a tribute to QW. And it's doable since they only cost 6-7 dollars a month to run (depending on the size of the automated server backups).

The next thing on my todo-list is to start an original "reDome Rocket Arena" server at port 27502, with the correct settings, maps and sound effects. Anybody who already has that running somewhere and/or could help me to set it up?

I hope you like the physical location of the servers. Personally, being 100% Finnish I would have liked the nostalgia of having the servers in Finland again, but I think this works out much better for most players and serves the European QW scene the best =)

feffe, there's still no ring on my finger - so I'm up for grabs. Maybe we could get married in-game with the rings of shadow found on death32c? ;D

See you all soon on reDome! <3 =D
2017-06-01, 11:59
News Writer
183 posts

May 2013
Nice one
2017-06-01, 13:08
258 posts

Feb 2006
xazqe wrote:

The maxclients for reDome Large is set to 16, which is the limit I think that it was set to back in the days. Or was it higher? Do you think we could/should up that to 26 or even 32, as the map is pretty huge, and today's servers can handle that many connections better/well? Suggestions are welcome!

I think eDome Large FFA had maxplayers 24. I'm not absolutely sure though. It did not have quad enabled but dm6 ring might have been there.

xazqe wrote:

mli - could you please update the servers at www.quakeservers.net to ports 27500 and 27501? I saw them neatly listed there already with dns names "redome.mine.nu" instead of ip-numbers - thanks a lot! =)

Updated.

xazqe wrote:

Do you know how to make these servers visible on qtv.quakeworld.nu ? And maybe add the Serveme bot to them (both Small and Large) as well? Or who to contact regarding that?

I don't know about qtv.quakeworld.nu. I think that Serveme downloads a list of all servers from quakeservers.net daily so it might find it's way to the servers automatically after some time.
2017-06-02, 15:17
25 posts

Jan 2006
Cool, thanks mli!

The 16 player limit seemed like enough so far, we peaked att 11/16 last night. But true - I have a slight memory of 24 players now that you mention it - I might adjust it to that.

The reDome servers have been moved from Frankfurt to Amsterdam (same datacenter as nl.badplace.eu - explanation in the quotefield in my original post). Will the german flag change automatically to dutch on quakeservers.net, or do you have to manually adjust the location/flag/country? If so, please update once more, and thanks in advance =D
2017-06-03, 06:34
258 posts

Feb 2006
xazqe wrote:
Cool, thanks mli!

The 16 player limit seemed like enough so far, we peaked att 11/16 last night. But true - I have a slight memory of 24 players now that you mention it - I might adjust it to that.

The reDome servers have been moved from Frankfurt to Amsterdam (same datacenter as nl.badplace.eu - explanation in the quotefield in my original post). Will the german flag change automatically to dutch on quakeservers.net, or do you have to manually adjust the location/flag/country? If so, please update once more, and thanks in advance =D

Flag/country updated.
  10 posts on 1 page  1