User panel stuff on forum
  10 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2017-04-30, 03:14
25 posts

Jan 2006
Hi everyone!

It's been so great seeing so much activity since QHLAN 2017, tonight we even had 2 simultaneous mixes going on, and I even got to watch oldschool heavyweights Focu and Blitzer play 2on2 and duels, them just playing with the thought of bringing back cable and spetnaz for a complete zetor (clan z) team for the Rankade 4on4 Ladder. Nostalgia heaven!

It just happens that I've been thinking about the need (and longing?) for a really awesome FFA server, both for experienced players, but especially for newcomers - where basic skills can be honed, which is very hard in 2on2/4on4/mix for unexperienced players. And I've seen quite a few new players joining the servers or discord, curious about QW and willing to learn, even though it's a pretty steep learning curve.

Personally I'm very nostalgic and dream away to GameSpy/All-Seeing-Eye 56k-modem days, when it felt so magical to play on for example the Finnish eDome Small and Large servers.

I know that for example qw.servegame.org:27500 is a fairly popular FFA server at the moment, but for me the map pool doesn't seem to be that old/faithful in regard to what would be considered oldschool FFA.

I've read the forum threads here about the xs4all map pool, and suggestions for that map pool, but since those posts are a few years old, I'd like some input to what kind of maps people would love to see today. Of course it could be a mix of newer maps, but mainly consist of older/original FFA maps.

I've had a test FFA server (BLT POWAH oLdScHo0L FFA - KTX) online for just a couple of days this week with instant activity on it, which is very positive. Somebody was very happy to play DM3 FFA for the first time in many many years =)

Here's the map rotation so far:

// map rotation
set k_ml_0 "dm4"
set k_ml_1 "ultrav"
set k_ml_2 "spinev2"
set k_ml_3 "ztndm6"
set k_ml_4 "dm3"
set k_ml_5 "pkeg1"
set k_ml_6 "shine"
set k_ml_7 "death32c"
set k_ml_8 "a2"
set k_ml_9 "dm5"
set k_ml_10 "aggressr"
set k_ml_11 "dm1a"
set k_ml_12 "jvx1"
set k_ml_13 "schloss"
set k_ml_14 "dm6"
set k_ml_15 "ukooldm3"
set k_ml_16 "ztndm3"
set k_ml_17 "warfare"
set k_ml_18 "e1m2"
set k_ml_19 "spitfire"
set k_ml_20 "dark-terror-ffa"

The test server has so far been running on my Macbook Pro (i7). Practically, when it comes to permanent hardware for the server, I've been considering a Mac Mini with Windows 7/10 (since it's very stable and energy efficient at maximum 80W, small and relatively powerful with i5/i7).
I've got a 8-core 2008 Mac Pro tower that hasn't been used for a while, but it would feel senseless to have that for QW-hosting, since it's running at 350-450 W, and somebody (me) would have to pay that electricity bill, and 80W is more environmental as well

My current cable modem ISP Comhem is pretty fast, but the routing sucks, so I'd need to find a location/host with a good fibre connection and decent routing (preferably in Stockholm if anyone has access to that or contacts).

Happy for any input and suggestions!
My Rocket Will Soon Be In Your Pocket!!! (c) xazqe - 1999
2017-04-30, 06:03
258 posts

Feb 2006
How about running the server on a VPS that is located in Sweden? Datacenters usually have better routing than residential connections and are more stable. You could get a VPS for a few €/$ a month. If you are interested there are some links to get you started:

sweden - Low End Box
Tagged with sweden
2017-04-30, 14:44
80 posts

Jan 2006
I could host it for you. Currently running a VPS in Stockholm on 100 Mbit.

If you're familiar with Linux I could give you an account for you to launch the server from. Otherwise I could assist with setting up the server.
2017-04-30, 21:36
65 posts

Apr 2017
Nice initiative
But would also be nice to see you playing more Valla
2017-05-02, 22:33
Administrator
384 posts

Dec 2006
Regarding map rotation I would suggest including as many 4on4 maps as possible if the goal is partially to help new players learn maps. FFA was how I learned the basic layout and item location on most maps. So for example I would replace dm5 in the above rotation with dm2 and perhaps consider the likes of CMT4.
2017-05-03, 09:59
176 posts

Mar 2012
No leave the cistern aka dm5 and add the other 2
2017-05-03, 11:22
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
dakyne
2017-05-04, 09:41
398 posts

Feb 2006
HangTime wrote:
Regarding map rotation I would suggest including as many 4on4 maps as possible if the goal is partially to help new players learn maps. FFA was how I learned the basic layout and item location on most maps. So for example I would replace dm5 in the above rotation with dm2 and perhaps consider the likes of CMT4.

HangTime is spot on! We have the German FFA server for obscure FFA maps, so would be good to have a server with the most common 1on1, 2on2, 4on4 maps as FFA is a great way for newbies to learn these maps. It helped me a great deal as a newbie back in the day!
2017-05-31, 17:21
25 posts

Jan 2006
Thanks so much for the suggestions and advice everyone!

I ended up starting an account at https://www.digitalocean.com/ which enables me to situate the server in Frankfurt, Amsterdam or London. So far I've chosen Frankfurt, since I got the best ping there from Stockholm, Sweden.. but the server instance can be moved at any time.

But the problem is that it's all Linux based and I have zero experience with it. Trying to configure it has already made me wanna punch through a wall. It's absolute below zero user friendly. It's running Ubuntu 16.04 at the moment, and I'm wondering if anyone could be able to help me set it up and install nQuakesv.

I tried to load a simple GUI by running:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends ubuntu-desktop

...without any luck and I've given up.

Or if anyone could recommend a good Windows Server VPS provider? I've looked at a few budget alternatives but their ping/routing seems to be pretty bad.
My Rocket Will Soon Be In Your Pocket!!! (c) xazqe - 1999
2017-05-31, 18:26
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
Hi there

I use digitalocean as well, my notes for the last server was (forget any ui stuff, you don't need that). Based on their ubuntu 16.04 option:

Install nquakesv
sudo apt-get install unzip
mkdir nquake-install
cd nquake-install
wget https://github.com/nQuake/server-linux/raw/master/releases/nquakesv_installer-linux-latest.tar.gz
tar -xf nquakesv_installer-linux-latest.tar.gz
./install_nquakesv.sh
crontab -e, add "*/10 * * * * /home/qwuser/nquakesv/start_servers.sh >/dev/null 2>&1"
cd ~

Dev tools (need this to build latest versions)
sudo apt-get install build-essential

mvdsv
git clone https://github.com/deurk/mvdsv
cd mvdsv/build/make
./configure
make

ktx
git clone https://github.com/deurk/ktx
cd ktx
./configure
make build-dl

qtv
git clone https://github.com/deurk/qtv
cd qtv
make

update old qw binaries with latest
cd ~/nquakesv/
./stop_servers.sh
cp ~/mvdsv/build/make/mvdsv .
cp ~/ktx/qwprogs.so ktx
cp ~/qtv/qtv.bin qtv
./start_servers.sh

> configure nquakesv changes - use nano for this
mkdir ~/nquakesv/ktx/demos/race
mkdir ~/nquakesv/ktx/race

~/nquakesv/ktx/configs/usermodes/race/default.cfg
+ sv_demofps 100
+ sv_demodir demos/race

~/nquakesv/ktx/configs/usermodes/4on4/default.cfg - disable teamoverlay in 4v4
+ k_teamoverlay 0

~/nquakesv/qtv/qtv.cfg - allows qtv address to be broadcast by mvdsv
+ address <externalip:port>

~/nquakesv/ktx/ktx.cfg -
- set k_end_tele_spawn 1
+ set k_end_tele_spawn 0

~/nquakesv/ktx/mvdsv.cfg (think this was disabled due to bug in old ezquake)
- sv_crypt_rcon 0
+ sv_crypt_rcon 1
  10 posts on 1 page  1