User panel stuff on forum
  3 posts on 1 page  1
Server Talk
2017-03-10, 15:50
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
New server up for racers: race.badplace.eu:28501-28504, hosted at same place as nl.badplace.eu

It's running the latest ktx, with simultaneous racing enabled (same countdown, everyone starts at same time). The match modes haven't had as much testing but are available via /1on1, /2on2 etc once race mode has been enabled. As it's in simultaneous mode by default, if using an older client then other players should be invisible, with newer nightly builds of ezquake they will be translucent and disappear only when very close.

Also added routes on four new maps (courtesy of onefingerman): dungeonsurf, jqdf1, rampcity (up and down), rj3.

Let me know of any problems.
2017-05-04, 19:50
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
Minor update tonight.

a) rockets colliding in duel mode should be fixed (reported by dev)
b) route definitions have been taken out of the .c code and into .route files - any issues with any maps, let me know
c) server has bsp2 support, so we're ready for big race maps whenever some get created

Again: any issues let me know.
2017-06-01, 11:58
Administrator
284 posts

Sep 2015
Major update yesterday, with the long-promised website integration added (https://badplace.eu/Race). This is still a bit beta, but we'll see how it goes.
  • The server now talks to the website (can expand this to multiple quake servers in the future)
  • Race activity (attempts, time playing) is now being reported regularly. Could have monthly records as well as world-best in future.
  • Personal bests for the day will be reported to you in the game.
  • Even if you're not in the top 10, your record time is recorded on the website.
  • If you are in the top 10, the demo should also be automatically uploaded to website.

The website also assigns points to individuals based on their rankings for each route (some routes aren't included, see below), based on the system used in Formula1. This throws up some interesting results, with a boost given to those who have points from many routes*, rather than those who are very good at a few but haven't tried the others. Probably not the best way to determine the absolute best racer in the world, but Daan's at the top so it can't be all that wrong. It might be worth thinking about assigning different weights to each route based on perceived difficulty (so hoppa or 2bfree is worth twice as many points as the simpler routes), but that would be a bit subjective.

The demo list is maybe slightly out of date (I took a WR race archive, but believe there might be some records that were broken since the archive was made) that I'll try and find - so look out for BogoJoker's DMx times getting even lower. Also, if you see any individuals listed twice (perhaps by using an alternative to their standard name) let me know and I can join them up.

Some routes don't count towards the rankings for the time being, am open to changing these if the regular racers see fit:
  • DM1 - not many people have ever tried this, and it seems quite dependent on not getting caught in the stairs
  • DM5 - same
  • DUNGEONSURF (room2) - 2nd route is part of first route, and just added so people could practice second room on its own
  • RAMPCITY - not many people trying this either
  • SLIDE6 (original route) - one of the windows has a gap that people could jump through to shortcut most of the map
  • SPEEDRUSH (weapons enabled route) - same as original but weapons on, not sure it adds much

I did notice a couple of bugs in queued racing (the old way, one at a time) that I'll try and get fixed - if you see any others, as ever, let me know.

* (or very average times on less popular routes... I obviously would never do such a thing)
  3 posts on 1 page  1