User panel stuff on forum
  8 posts on 1 page  1
General Discussion
2016-10-17, 10:17
50 posts

Oct 2009
I hope there are some old-timers here who remember and / or followed the event and can help me

I would like to know if the tournament featured QuakeWorld or vanilla Quake. I'm asking because QuakeCon's wikipedia page lists it as "QuakeWorld tournament", but one of Decebal's videos on youtube contains a comment where he asks RiX (Qcon 1997 winner) about his netQuake demo from the event.

Can anyone help me out? Was it vanilla Quake or QuakeWorld? If the former is true, it would mean that the first time QuakeWorld was featured at QuakeCon was in 2007 during the "Quad Damage" tournament, right?
2016-10-17, 21:11
15 posts

Apr 2009
I believe that Quakecon 1997 was still Netquake... I had met Rix in the CPL 4 year tournament (Quakeworld)..... and we had a discussion on quakeworld vs netquake when we talked.... he had a very high sensitivity from what I remember.
2016-10-18, 08:37
50 posts

Oct 2009
Thanks for the reply! I wonder why netQuake was chosen over QuakeWorld. I assume it was a lot more popular, especially in the USA.
2016-10-18, 09:23
164 posts

Apr 2007
If i remember correctly, the amercans were very slow with the transition to quakeworld.
2016-10-19, 16:00
News Writer
221 posts

Jan 2013
When Clan 9 played Deathrow in 1998, they played 5 x QuakeWorld and 5 x NetQuake because the americans still preferred NetQuake at that time.
2016-10-22, 14:09
15 posts

Apr 2009
I found a video of Rix vs sCary on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eUvW-iKhOE&t=387s

In a comment, Rix actually comments under his real name "Dan Hammans" and says "thats the original netquake.
Looks like someone converted the old netquake demo into some badass 4K quality video
2016-10-22, 16:26
22 posts

Jan 2013
That YT account records a lot of Quake-game demos which is nice to see. He does tend to really like replacement textures/effects on the older games which is hit or miss, and putting super reverb effects on the sounds. Video quality is excellent tho.
2016-10-30, 14:52
50 posts

Oct 2009
clawunf wrote:
I found a video of Rix vs sCary on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eUvW-iKhOE&t=387s

In a comment, Rix actually comments under his real name "Dan Hammans" and says "thats the original netquake.
Looks like someone converted the old netquake demo into some badass 4K quality video

Yup, that's the video I meant in my original post Quality stuff from the past.

Johnny Law wrote:
That YT account records a lot of Quake-game demos which is nice to see. He does tend to really like replacement textures/effects on the older games which is hit or miss, and putting super reverb effects on the sounds. Video quality is excellent tho.

Indeed. And the channel is being updated all the time. Decebal (I assume that is his nickname... or is it "Clau" as it appears before every video?) puts a lot of effort into preserving Quake history.
  8 posts on 1 page  1