2016-09-18, 17:16
57 posts

Oct 2015
http://i.imgur.com/kNhUBo6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/mJcdK81.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SQ3tAJu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0POm7Fq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NUuxIWK.jpg

Only planning to have one Release Canidate. Hopefully..
I hope to have the next version as the final release.

DOWNLOAD:
RC1: Download pipeuprc1.bsp 1meg

To Do:

+ Only going to have one info_intermission entity. Need to play with that it's boring to do and time consuming.
+ Make locs
+ Improve lighting... maybe. I think it looks fine how it is

Servers to play this on:

address here
address here
address here

(Edited 2016-11-02, 01:04)
2016-09-18, 21:29
26 posts

Apr 2012
Nice

foogs wrote:
Performance optimization. <-- not sure how to accomplish this people say they get r_speeds above 3k in some places. Need help on this one

--- --- ---
EDIT: I compiled your map with my stuff, and I get r_speeds of max 600... very normal !
When I use the .bsp from you: r_speeds of 3000
Something not right with your compile settings
--- --- ---

Line of sight into other rooms ...

Each pipe has a lot of sides, and when you have Pipes with round rings around them, it will add polygons
... maybe here and there remove some of the rings around the pipes

Depending on how the vis process splits up your brushes, certain polygons are "seen" from other rooms (while the player will NOT see them, but the VIS proces does)

If you stand in room x, and you see pipes IN this room, and line of sight into another room, with pipes
then you get high r_speeds : because You the player or the VIS process, sees pipes from both rooms

Sometimes a little bit of moving stuff around, a bit, can help a lot.
Quick test : put a brush into a door/passage, so you can not enter it, recompile, and see the difference : lower r_speeds

The challenge is to get ecceptable r_speeds, AND architecture detail.

Sometimes a trick helps: If you can see only 1 side of the pipe, then flatten the other side.

All tedious work

Sometimes: replace a long stairs with a ramp... the ramp only has one surface, the stairs with EVERY step: 2
so a stairs with 12 steps has 24 surfaces... a ramp just one
... which to use depends from where you can see the stairs... AND other stuff (pipes)

--------------------------
EDIT:
I loaded your .map in the editor, I noticed a wall made up of 8 brushes, which you can do with only one (in THIS case).
Probably you changed something there, and forgot to clean it up, hehe. I don't know

Here a picture, before and after I changed it to show what i mean:

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/31725240/shot00.jpg

(Edited 2016-09-18, 22:08)
2016-09-18, 22:01
26 posts

Apr 2012
6_6_6 wrote:
Nice

foogs wrote:
Performance optimization. <-- not sure how to accomplish this people say they get r_speeds above 3k in some places. Need help on this one

Line of sight into other rooms ...

Each pipe has a lot of sides, and when you have Pipes with round rings around them, it will add polygons
... maybe here and there remove some of the rings around the pipes

Depending on how the vis process splits up your brushes, certain polygons are "seen" from other rooms (while the player will NOT see them, but the VIS proces does)

If you stand in room x, and you see pipes IN this room, and line of sight into another room, with pipes
then you get high r_speeds : because You the player or the VIS process, sees pipes from both rooms

Sometimes a little bit of moving stuff around, a bit, can help a lot.
Quick test : put a brush into a door/passage, so you can not enter it, recompile, and see the difference : lower r_speeds

The challenge is to get ecceptable r_speeds, AND architecture detail.

Sometimes a trick helps: If you can see only 1 side of the pipe, then flatten the other side.

All tedious work

Sometimes: replace a long stairs with a ramp... the ramp only has one surface, the stairs with EVERY step: 2
so a stairs with 12 steps has 24 surfaces... a ramp just one.
EDIT: your stairs has even more surfaces i noticed on closer inspection
... which to use depends from where you can see the stairs... AND other stuff (pipes)

--------------------------
EDIT:
I loaded your .map in the editor, I noticed a wall made up of 8 brushes, which you can do with only one (in THIS case).
Probably you changed something there, and forgot to clean it up, hehe. I don't know

Here a picture, before and after I changed it to show what i mean:

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/31725240/shot00.jpg
2016-09-19, 00:37
57 posts

Oct 2015
Thanks 666. I'm working on cleaning up the multiple brushes that can turn into one brush thing. The pipes I don't want to remove or move them haha. I have some ideas though that ill use to play around with making some hallways longer so line of sight is broken up a bit. But not gonna go there until I get the brushes cleaned up.
2016-09-19, 10:51
26 posts

Apr 2012
Heh...
I just noticed, the pipes are not in your .map file I downloaded, hence the lower r_speeds I got when I compiled your map
hehehe.

--- --- ---

Here some other tweaks you can do, without changing your architecture,
which get r_speeds down:

Top left image,
the bottom structure you made... and I highlighted
make the top structure like that to... like shown on the top right image
the two yellow markers show the two extra poly's which can be avoided

Bottom left image, out of those four you can make two
as shown in the bottom right image
things like that

In the end, all those 'tweaks' together, makes a big difference in r_speeds

http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/31727479/shot01.jpg

All tedious work to do afterwards...
If you do it like that right away it's less tedious, hehehe.
It pays off, r_speeds wise. And still looks the same.
2016-09-24, 02:04
375 posts

Sep 2009
NICE!
(QW Nickname: AL.Kernell)
2016-09-29, 02:26
57 posts

Oct 2015
Just an update that I'm still working on this..

It has changed quite a bit. Particularly the layout. I think it flows much better and there is way less line of site issues. R_Speeds right now before I play with lighting and texturing are below 400 everywhere. Kind of excited about it but don't wanna release anything until it's playable.
2016-09-29, 17:16
26 posts

Apr 2012
foogs wrote:
Just an update that I'm still working on this..
(...)
don't wanna release anything until it's playable.

Perfection (getting rid of detail devils) takes a bit of effort, which takes a bit of time... "it's done when it's done"

foogs wrote:
R_Speeds right now before I play with lighting and texturing are below 400 everywhere.

Lighting does not have any influence on wpoly count (world polygons), so does not influence what you see in r_speeds. As far as I know.
Same for textures. As long as you do not split a existing wall into multiparts to put different textures on it: No influence on wpoly count.

Another detail devil:

Altough I like your use of what you called "big color stripes for areas" to differentiate between rooms, there are people who play with gl_textureless and similair settings, so the effect for them will be less noticeable. But it doesn't matter once a player knows a map a little bit.
This is why some players suggest using architectural differences...
Maybe in room-x use round corners etc, and room-y edgy corners : or any other means to give each area a architectural 'identity'.
2016-10-10, 14:09
82 posts

Jul 2009
6_6_6 wrote:

Altough I like your use of what you called "big color stripes for areas" to differentiate between rooms, there are people who play with gl_textureless and similair settings, so the effect for them will be less noticeable.

screw those people? Like, who cares? People do all kinds of weird stuff. It looks good with the proper textures.
I do not think foogs needs to please everybody.
2016-10-10, 19:06
26 posts

Apr 2012
drowsy wrote:
6_6_6 wrote:

Altough I like your use of what you called "big color stripes for areas" to differentiate between rooms, there are people who play with gl_textureless and similair settings, so the effect for them will be less noticeable.

screw those people? Like, who cares? People do all kinds of weird stuff. It looks good with the proper textures.
I do not think foogs needs to please everybody.

If you do both...
... you don't have to screw anyone then.
2016-10-12, 05:10
57 posts

Oct 2015
bumped the main post. remade every brush on the map. Way tighter layout than before.
2016-10-12, 07:16
152 posts

Feb 2012
wow is that the same map that had quad and mega down below in the water?..
“If I wanted you to understand it, I would have explained it better.” (c) Johan Cruyff
2016-10-23, 21:52
57 posts

Oct 2015
bump for new version. I'm not rebuilding this map again. I think I'm nearing the finish line of completing this map.
2016-11-02, 01:05
57 posts

Oct 2015
bump for release canidate. Next update will hopefully be the FINAL.
2016-11-03, 01:40
82 posts

Jul 2009
I propose we make a 1-day tourney on this map before you make the final version.
Otherwise there will be a gazillion "finallier" versions by tournament admins
2016-11-03, 23:30
6 posts

Nov 2016
id suggest a name change to Pipe Masters. you can thank me later.
RIP DJ Screw– November 16, 2000
2016-11-05, 14:53
375 posts

Sep 2009
swishahouse wrote:
id suggest a name change to Pipe Masters. you can thank me later.

I WANT IT TOO !!!! Pipe Masters
I SAID IT in Discord chat I think, JAJAJAAJ

Pipe Masters FOR-THE-WIN!!!!!!!! =D
(QW Nickname: AL.Kernell)
  17 posts on 1 page  1