User panel stuff on forum
  6 posts on 1 page  1
Help
2016-09-04, 19:33
4 posts

Mar 2008
So, QW sounds really anoy me, especially RL-shot and shaft. Can i make them about 50-60% less volume, while other sounds stay the same? Is it allowed to change those sounds at all? And where are they placed in QW folder?
Thanx
2016-09-04, 20:38
230 posts

Jan 2006
Back in 2002 I had a similar idea but instead of decreasing the volume I just shortened them. Been playing with these sounds since then.

You can find the weapon sounds in pak0.pak in your id1 folder.
Use PakExplorer to open the pak files.
The rocket and shaft sounds should be these 4:
sound/weapons/sgun1.wav
sound/weapons/r_exp3.wav
sound/weapons/lstart.wav
sound/weapons/lhit.wav

You can place the edited files in qw/sounds/weapons/ or in id/sounds/weapons/

Someone else will have to answer if it is allowed to change these or not in certain rulesets...
2016-09-04, 21:13
Administrator
1025 posts

Apr 2006
I think we can make this happen, I can't see that anyone would disallow changing volume for the rockets as it's basically a disadvantage not to hear when people shoot rockets (as this would affect rockets from everyone, not just yourself). Even if someone would make a bind to lower the volume while shooting rockets, it's unlikely that it would be any advantage for the same reason again, you wouldn't hear other ppl shooting rockets as loud either during that time.

Please go to https://github.com/ezquake/ezquake-source/issues and create a new issue like "REQ: Individual volume for weapons" or whatever title you find the most describing, then describe exactly how you would like it to work and we'll look into it when we get time.
2016-09-05, 04:06
News Writer
912 posts

Jan 2006
hax
2016-09-07, 12:37
4 posts

Mar 2008
Thanx for the help
I've downloaded lots of different pk3 openers and couldn't get them to work.
Simple solution - I've downloaded q3 sounds pack http://gfx.quakeworld.nu/details/161/q3-sounds/
2016-09-07, 14:44
214 posts

Feb 2011
bon3z wrote:
I've downloaded lots of different pk3 openers and couldn't get them to work.

You need a pak opener for .pak files, but .pk3 files are just .zip files. You can use any zip program to open .pk3 files, including Windows Explorer. Rename it to .zip if you're having trouble then rename it back to .pk3 when you're done.

BD
  6 posts on 1 page  1